PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davenport

jpj
04-05-2003, 13:36
Hi there,

We are due to stay at The Palms in Lake Davenport in August. Can anyone tell us what types of shops, fast food places, restaurants, etc are located nearby.

florida
04-05-2003, 16:09
The Palms at Lake Davenport is about 10 mins west of 192 on HWY 27. The 192 has an abudance of shopping & dining from 'fast food to a'la carte' you will be spoilt for choice. Places like the Ponderosa & Golden Corral offer all you can eat buffet at very reasonable prices, so its great if you have got children & they want to try a bit of everything. Make sure you pick up the coupon books that you will find everywhere, as they are always full of vouchers for discounts of shopping & dining.

The 192 does get busy at peak periods & its traffic lights all the way so it can be a bit frustrating at times. They have made major improvements over the last few years, although it still doesn't seem to have eased the congestion.

Have a great time:D

fiona
04-05-2003, 18:12
Sorry don't know what is on the 27, but first thing you will hit on the 192 is a Publix, there is also a library there. There are some fast food restaurants a short distance down (this is heading towards Disney) with a Pizza Hut and a McDonalds. About 10 mins down the road is the Formosa Gardens Shopping Plaza (forgot to say you will have passed another Publix by now!) there is TGIF, Outback, Carrabbas, Giordano's, Red Lobster, a Chinese, Dairy Queen, Taco Bells. There is also a walk-in medical centre, and 2 chemists - one is a 24hr one that sells milk, cheese, eggs, bread etc as well, so a good place to stop if your plane arrives late. The supermarkets shut around 11.00pm.

You can carry on for another 10/15 mins and get a huge selection of restaurants.

I am sure someone on one of the communities will answer and be able to point you more accurately than I can in the right direction!

esprit
04-05-2003, 19:47
You can go the other way down 27 until you hit Baseball City and there are a number of restaurants there- Perkins, Bob Evans, Wendys and McDonalds spring to mind but there are more. There is also a new Publix and shopping plaza being built on 27 just south of the Palms near Highlands Reserve.. That could be open bby August. Anyone who has been lately know how it is coming on??
If you carry on down 27 straight past Baseball City, you will eventually hit Haines WalMart.

janny
04-05-2003, 20:27
You may find a menu from the GREEN LEAF CHINESE RESTAURANT in your home . They deliver to the house and come highly recommended. Have not tried the restaurant . They are just down the 27 south.

Just down Highway 27 towards Haines City there is a restaurant called Fish Tales Real home style food and waitresses just like your family. Phenomenal selection and variety of foods. The prices good.

Passage to India just opened on the south side of the west 192.
JT'S on the north side is good-has a pool table out back.

The Palms is actually about 1.5 miles down from the 27/192 junction .Your homeowner may have left directions as to the shortcut to Disney .

jpj
05-05-2003, 15:44
Thanks for all the useful info. August will be our 5th visit to Florida, although before we have stayed in Lake Buenaventura, Kissimee. I came to know that area really well, but our usual villa wasn't available this year - may be a blessing now that we have seen pics of the one we are staying at - can't wait !!

Would be interested in shortcuts to Disney from US27 - we didn't do Disney last time, believe it or not.

Would appreciate anyone knowing whether the new shopping plaza south of the Palms will be open by August.

jen
05-05-2003, 16:57
Hi

The shortcut I know to Disney is:
Hwy 27 to Hwy 192
From Hwy 192 take BlackLake Road which then joins Sherbeth Road, follow this to the end and you will be on Disney Property - the nearest park being Animal Kingdom. From this point (near Osceola Parkway) you will find all Disney Parks and hotels etc sign posted.

Black Lake road is kind of twisting and without street lights.
For the return trip it is advisable to stay on Sherbeth and join the 192 from there.

Hope this helps - if anyone knows of a quicker route please let me know. From the Palms at Hampton Lakes which is just a couple of minutes from Davenport Lakes it takes 12 minutes to get to Animal Kingdom.

Jen :)

cougar
08-05-2003, 03:42
quote:Originally posted by jpj

Hi there,

We are due to stay at The Palms in Lake Davenport in August. Can anyone tell us what types of shops, fast food places, restaurants, etc are located nearby.

[B)]

cougar
08-05-2003, 03:47
quote:Originally posted by jpj

Hi there,

We have just got back from The Palms in Lake Davenport two days ago. This area is so special it makes others look like caddyshacks. In terms of food places, you name it and it's there, sizzlers,taco's,wendy's,maccy d's and loads more. How many of you are going and have you all got a healthy appetite?

jpj
09-05-2003, 01:35
Thanks Cougar.There are 9 of us going - my brother will be pleased, as he has a real healthy appetite. He's a big guy & already got a few extra pounds, so hope they do salads for him !!

We will have to get plenty of exercise in - hopefully, walking around the parks will be enough.

janny
21-05-2003, 00:51
Cougar,
It is really nice to hear such positive things being said about The Palms LDE as it is one of the more established communities around and doesn't have all the "modern " things like a gate ,clubhouse or "close" acces to Disney that some of the others have but i believe it is a lovely community ,well looked after and offers guests a peaceful retreat from the hurly burly of the parks yet is still within the magic 15 mins.As an owner on LDE I thank you.:):):)

jpj
30-05-2003, 21:28
Thanks Cougar & Janny. The more info the better !!

We've started the countdown to August already & visiting lots of websites for details of all of Florida's best bits AGAIN. We are arriving into Sanford Airport, can anyone recommend the easiest route to Lake Davenport? Are the toll roads still the best ones to use,or are there more new roads about now ?

All info gratefully received.

MTP
31-05-2003, 04:29
For somewher to eat we enjoy going into Celebration. You can have a wander around the lake and Downtown are and the eat at one of the many restaraunts. We usually eat at the bar style one, sitting out on the patio area, watching the world go by. I can't remember it's name, but it has got quite a New England feel shich we like. For all Celebration gets slated, to sit there and watch people pass, stopping and chatting to each other, it really has a definite community.

george
18-02-2004, 02:40
JPJ
What are you doing going on holiday in August when it's the start of the footie season? Oh I get it.....No champions league to worry about(LFC). Might as well have a holiday.. at least it's something to write home about! Have a great time and pick up loads of info from the forums.

esprit
18-02-2004, 03:11
There a sign up advertising the grill bar at Bahama Bay open to the public. That may be worth a visit. Pretty much walkable from the Palms.

janny
18-02-2004, 16:19
Thanks Julie will give it a go in march is it open during the evening or only the day?
A chance to have a drink at last as I won't have to drive home!!!

jpj
04-05-2004, 00:14
Hey George,
We went last August, had a great time. Even Liverpool managed to beat Everton whilst I was there. There's always next year. Be interested to hear who you support ??

Carla
04-05-2004, 00:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jpj
We are arriving into Sanford Airport, can anyone recommend the easiest route to Lake Davenport? Are the toll roads still the best ones to use,or are there more new roads about now ?

All info gratefully received.
[/quote]

Hi

Definitely use the 417 Toll Road. It's a breeze and only costs around $5 per trip. Worth every cent. I was on it a couple of weeks ago around 2.30pm, heading south, and almost had the road to myself!!!! It very conveniently drops you straight onto Interstate 4, so you can drive down to exit 55 and then go North a couple of miles up to Lake Davenport. A very easy trip.

Have a wonderful holiday.
:D:D:D

steph_goodrum
04-05-2004, 02:08
As well as those places mentioned there is a new Cracker Barrel opening on 27 just before the junction with I4 (55) and before that a sports bar "Beef O Bradys" who tell me they will almost certainly be showing the England games during Euro 2004 for those fans who want to watch.