PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space

bridget
08-08-2005, 17:21
I want to go on every ride this time - I've not a major fear of any of them - except this one..

Can someone please tell me exactly what happens. Do you feel like you take off and see the earth on the screen etc? I need to know as it will probably make me have a panic attack. If someone could let me know stage by stage, i'd be really grateful.

Many thanks.

Paula D-S
08-08-2005, 17:37
Hi Bridget,

There are four of you in a booth, each person has a different job to do (make believe of course). It's exactly like you imagine, you can feel take off and see the clouds on the screen before you. It is a great ride nothing to be afraid of. You will love it.[msnsmile2]

May the force be with you[msnwink]

Paula

stabard
08-08-2005, 17:50
Bridget

I am the biggest scardy cat of them all as far as rides go and I have been on this ride. It did take me 4 attempts to do it but I would say that it is no worse than Back to the Future or Star Tours. Just make sure you do keep looking straight ahead at all times or you will be sick[:o)]

As the saying goes "If I can do it anyone can[msnscared]"

jo-anne
08-08-2005, 21:22
Dear Bridget
There is a lot of build up and tension before the ride starts so that you are drawn into the world of being a real astronaut. For the ride itself you go inside a small space which has 4 seats side by side as if you are in the cockpit of the rocket. The space is small and your face is close to the control panel and the 'windscreen' of the rocket. During the build up each of the 4 people is given a 'job' to do during the flight. You may be the pilot or the navigator etc (all make believe of course)
The ride is VERY intense. It took my breath away as the rocket 'launched' into the sky. It is of course a simulator but it is extremely realistic. Stay facing forward and keep your head back against the headrest and this will stop any motion sickness.. There are lots of warnings about sickness so I guess alot of people do feel a bit sick. It lasts for a few minutes as you 'travel to the moon and then land on Mars. It was fantastic and well worth building up the courage to do. Please don't let little ones ride. Of course there are height restrictions but it really is very intense even for older children. There is a fantastic play area near the exit where little ones can play while you are riding. There is also a computer style interactive game there, for older children. Have fun!!!

Jo
09-08-2005, 00:01
The first few seconds are the worst , then it's quite fun. I panicked on take off, but the intense bit is over very quickly. Didn't go back on , but would probably be OK.

Didn't feel sick - just the G force.[msneek]

millie
09-08-2005, 00:04
When I was waiting for my family to come off this ride one poor lady came off and lay on abench for at least 20 mins. She did not look very well![V]

marty
13-08-2005, 21:04
I was on this ride last week and trust me it is intense. Any ride that has sick bags available has got to be doing something pretty gut wrenching. I was going to go to China afterwards to get something to eat but decided on a long sit down instead!

solanasunshine
14-08-2005, 00:12
After much persuasion I went on this ride a couple of weeks ago and must say that it was nowhere near as scary or awful as some people had led me to believe.

I was terrified (I am a big chicken!) and sat rigid in my seat looking straight ahead not moving and holding a paper bag infront of me as I suffer from travel/motion sickness.

Whilst I can honestly say that it is not a ride I will ever go on again, you should be fine and I am glad I made the effort as the experience was quite unique (well it was for me anyway!)

Good luck with your decision but don't let anyone force you into going on if you don't want to.

(My husband and 9 year old son both thought it was fantastic and if it wasn't for the huge queue would have gone on again!)

Ruth
14-08-2005, 02:14
This ride is nothing to be scared off. We did it 3 times in quick succession last week (me, and my children ages 10, 7 and 5 years). James age 5 says that it is his favourite ride. I think the larger you are the more the forces affect you (so my hubby says). As the others have advised, just make sure you look forwards throughout:)

jolliffee
14-08-2005, 02:35
The big problem with this ride is in the build up, lots of signs &vpeople saying it is intense etc. I'm sure this is part of the rides hype. It is good, and like all rides do what you are told and you'll be fine...[grin][sick]

bridget
15-08-2005, 17:12
Many thanks for all of your responses. It's better hearing it from people that have actually been on it rather than any guide books - thanks again and I will definitely be going on [msnwink]

Maz
15-08-2005, 23:06
We always feel that the 'notices' are scarier than the ride. Most people seem to like this ride (I do) but if you get motion sickness it's not ideal. As with most rides its actually best to keep your eyes open if you can. Relax and enjoy.

Semper
20-11-2005, 22:50
I didn't think this ride would be much at all, thought it was going to be a straight forward simulator. I someone who will ride anything infact the faster and scarier the better. Mission Space is now one ride that I doubt I will ride ever again. At one point I actually felt like I was going to throw up. I then felt queasy for the rest of the day. Someone in the car next to us did make full use of the provided sickbag.

brizzle
21-11-2005, 13:34
I think it's a personal thing and it does affect people in different ways. My Mum did it once, liked it but wouldn't do it again.
My 5 year old did it 4 times and wanted to go on it straight away after each time. Luckily Soarin' has mostly taken the queues away from Mission:Space.

For me the warnings are a little OTT but you could be a rider who these warnings are not OTT. I would say try it once but I don't think anyone can guarantee that you will not feel a little dodgy after even though the majority of people are OK.

Pays yer money takes yer chance...

Brizzle.

ShirleyCottam
29-11-2005, 19:27
I went on it twice, on 2 different days, and I loved it the first time, but the second time it made me feel dizzy afterwards...a bit like I had been in a spin dryer
[msnwink]

ellie
29-11-2005, 21:15
As I have said below, I am really scary where rides are concerned but just can't get enough of this one!

WE ARE GO FOR LAUNCH – MISSION SPACE
Epcot’s newest attraction is, of course, Mission Space, an amazing simulator ride that really makes you feel as if you are taking off into space. I am not a ‘natural’ where scary rides are concerned, but this one is absolutely unmissable. You will experience some quite intense G-forces, and it can make you nauseous if you don't follow instructions. I can thoroughly recommend it, having been on it 4 times in one day! We were a little put-off at the entrance, as they do a good job of putting the ‘fear of god’ into you. Admittedly, they do get 30 people a day taken ill on this ride, and some even have to go to hospital, but it really wasn’t as scary as I expected. You DO experience G-forces, and the first time I was a little unsteady when I got off – and NO that wasn’t due to any medicinal shots of brandy beforehand!

The building itself is impressive, as is the Planetary Plaza at the attraction’s entrance. Here you will see large spheres symbolising Earth, the moon, Jupiter and Mars. On the plaza’s walls there are quotes from famous figures who epitomise the spirit of space travel. It looks particularly spectacular with the setting sun.

As with all the attractions you take part in an ‘experience’. You become one of a 4 man crew launching themselves into space on a journey to Mars. You are put into a space capsule with 4 people, and each of you is assigned a job – Pilot, Engineer, Navigator, Captain. You will have to perform a task, and steer the craft when, inevitably, things go wrong. As you settle yourself into the ‘capsule’ you know its going to be quite a bumpy ride as restraints comes down over your shoulders. A good tip is to make sure you look out of the porthole in front of you all the time, as this will stop you getting disorientated. As for the ride, well sensational is just one adjective to describe it.

As far as the mechanics of the ride are concerned, it is a simulator, and the capsules are spun at very high speed to generate the G-forces, but you are not aware of the spinning, you just feel its effects. As you sit back in your seat you see the gantry in front of you, then suddenly you experience the launch, shooting up the gantry into blue skies, through clouds and into space. You are pushed back into your seat and then you experience G-forces. I won’t spoil the rest of the fun, but needless to say, something goes wrong, and you must try to control the rocket through Martian canyons, which is thrilling.

Our only criticism is that it’s much too short – we were ready to do the return trip, but that’s when they show you to the door! Strangely enough it was not anything like as busy as Test-Track – which ran out of ‘fast-passes’ at lunchtime, and had queues of over an hour. This did mean that after our first ride we were able to get another fast-pass, and squeeze in 3 more trips to Mars.

Do remember to keep looking out of the window all the time or you could feel very disorientated, and sick. Andrew and I went on it 4 times and enjoyed every minute, despite feeling very nervous the first time. If you do suffer from motion sickness and still want to do the ride, then take a travel sickness tablet before you get on it. Strangely enough it was not as busy as Test Track. We think they do such a good job of scaring people that many give it a miss. If you are brave enough then don’t miss it. It’s like nothing you’ve ever experienced, and it is truly a spectacular experience.

mizzy
29-11-2005, 22:07
Good Luck Bridget and i really hope you enjoy the ride

my husband his brother and his children ages 10&7 absolutely loved it

me i was lucky i have a medical excuse for wimping out so i dont even have to pretend to be scared i cant ride it and thats it

let us all know how it goes in your trip report when you've done it and we can give you a big[clap]for being so brave

Mizzy

clairec
06-12-2005, 04:51
we went on this ride a few weeks ago, and for me personally it was one of the worst experiences ever, not be dramatic! [msnwink] it was my own fault though. when I pulled down the harnes thing i wasnt sitting up straight, and when the ride began I was, and I realised Ii had pulled it to tight and had trouble breathing,just through panic. unfortuanly though the 'shuttle' i was in broke at the end and we were stuck in it for an extra 10mins which was really uncomfortable. however, my b/f loved it and would go on it over and over again! i wont be going back on!

Benny24
10-01-2006, 21:19
I love rides, so long as theyr're not spinning ones. And Mission Space is a spinning ride, as it's one of those circular simulators as seen on films like Space Cowboys/007 etc. You can't actually see yourself spinning as you are looking at a computer/tv screen. It's very well done, good build up.
But I would say if you can't stomach roundabouts/tea cups!/Waltzers or anything that spins give it a miss! I was in a state for over an hour and a half, dizzy, felt sick and couldn't focus properly.
Give me a rollercoaster any day!

freddiehollie
23-01-2006, 01:42
I would suggest go on it before your lunch, just in case[msnscared]
We were fine but my nephew threw up 5 minutes after the ride just
outside. Staff were brilliant though, must be used to that by now.

KJH
23-01-2006, 03:07
We went on last Feb. My friend Nicky was ill for the rest of the day and we had to leave her lying on a bench for a couple of hours. (She did insist). I felt really sick and the ride stopped just in time before I [sick].

If you suffer with any sort of motion sickness, I wouldn't advise it. But as I don't 'DO' rides I'm probably not the best person to advise.

The rest of the group (5) went on again, but afterwards they complained of neck ache or headache.

Kaz[beer]

Ruth
23-01-2006, 12:37
I would disagree with this. I HATE the teacups, waltzers etc but LOVE Mission Space. For me it is a totally different experience and I don't feel the spinning at all. The best piece of advise is to look straight ahead at the screen at all times.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Benny24

But I would say if you can't stomach roundabouts/tea cups!/Waltzers or anything that spins give it a miss! [/quote]

caroline
23-01-2006, 13:33
Dave agrees with you Ruth, he can't do the teacups at all, it makes him really green[xx(] - but Mission Space is no problem at all.

stabard
23-01-2006, 14:50
Like I said before I am a scardy cat rider but I went on this ride again in January with the troops and it was still great fun. Still can't get me on a rollercoaster tho [msnwink]

esprit
23-01-2006, 18:47
I went on this for the first time in December and only because my daughter wanted to go on it as I had avoided it before having seen all the bad reports of people feeling sick etc. The warnings inside the place really get to you and make you feel nervous, they keep saying do you really want to do this, if not turn back now!! Anyway, it was great, no problem at all, though it was weird when your cheeks blow back. I did comcentrate on doing the jobs I was given, I think that helps.