PDA

View Full Version : Remember When.....

julieanne
03-08-2005, 13:31
Just for a minute, forget everything stressful and read this.....

Close your eyes and go back in time...

Before the Internet or the Apple Mac.

Before semi-automatics, joyriders and crack....

Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...

Way back........

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.

The corner shop.

Hopscotch.

Butterscotch.

Skipping.

Handstands.

Football with an old can.

Fingerbob.

Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the Menace.

Roly Poly.

Hula Hoops, Jumping the stream, Building dams.

The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

Bazooka Joe bubble gum.

An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune -
Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball

Wait.......

Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials, The Double
Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Zeebedee, Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why
Don't You'? or staying up for Doctor Who.
When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like
going somewhere.

Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings.

Sticky fingers.

Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro.

Climbing trees.

Building igloos out of snow banks.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt

Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights.

Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.

Being tired from playing....remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon

Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

Choppers and Grifters

Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops.

Remember when...

There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop Green
Flash and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't
odd to have two or three "best" friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve.

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.

When 25p was decent pocket money

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.

It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at
a real restaurant with your parents.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to
carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate
that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of
drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. parents and Grandparents were a
much bigger threat! - and some of us are still afraid of them!!

Didn't that feel good?

Just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that!

Remember when....

Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog Sh1t "

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs.

And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.

It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't an Olympic
event.

Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult.

Nobody was prettier than Mum.

S[bad language filtered out]es and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.

Ice cream was considered a basic food group

Getting a foot of snow was a dream.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest
protectors

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown up" life

LiesaAnna
03-08-2005, 19:10
i am so proud to have been a member of those days!!!!!!! yes they were the best!!!!!!
and i know i certainly lived!!!! we had real fun!!!! cos we did it ourselves!!!

becbecs
03-08-2005, 19:32
I can remember my Dad doing this and I thought there was something wrong with him.

"It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb."

What a nice read, takes you back to when times were just the best. 25p pocket money you lucky person :D

Ray&Sarah
03-08-2005, 20:15
I can remmeber most of these things, really took me back.[msnwink][msnsmile2]

luckylady
03-08-2005, 21:22
I remember all of those things
Thank you for the memory I enjoyed the step back in time

Linicia
03-08-2005, 21:26
You forgot listening to the top 20 on a Sunday night on Radio Luxemburg on the tranny (original definition)under the bedclothes so that your parents wouldn't know when you should have been asleep. I used to think I was the only one who did this until my husband mentioned it to me and then I asked some friends and they all did it too. Ahhhhh happy days.

luckylady
03-08-2005, 21:33
Whatabout Educating Archie on a Sunday afternoon
Have a go Joe with Wilf Pickles
If nobody else remembers these I going to start digging a hole

caroline
03-08-2005, 21:58
Sorry Barbara don't remember those - but I do remember 'having' to watch Thunderbirds on a Sunday - My Dad was a fan and we only had the 1 TV in the house[:O] What would our kids think of that;)

blott
03-08-2005, 22:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
Whatabout Educating Archie on a Sunday afternoon
Have a go Joe with Wilf Pickles
If nobody else remembers these I going to start digging a hole
[/quote]Dig it double size then because I remember those. Along with (all on Sundays) the Navy Lark (CPO Pertwee), Life With The Huggetts 'oh Ron!', Sing Something Simple (with the un PC B & W Minstrels), Family Favourites with Jean Metcalfe and Cliff Michelmore 'love to BFPO...'.

Of course, young whippersnappers like Caroline don't know what they've missed! [:O] ;) :D Only one TV indeed! We didn't have one (the above are all radio programmes!) and when we did it was black and white and had a screen about 9 inches in size!

Linicia
03-08-2005, 22:58
Talking about radio programmes, remember Mrs Dale's Diary, Worker's Playtime, Housewives Choice and best of all Listen With Mother? Used to listen to all these when off school if I was sick. They are all coming back now, Billy Cotton's Band Show, Round The Horne, and as Barbara said, Wilfred Pickles saying, "What's on the table Mabel?". My Dad used to remind me of sitting on his knee listening to Dick Barton in the days before TV. Yes barbara, better make that hole big enough for three of us!

LiesaAnna
03-08-2005, 23:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Linicia
You forgot listening to the top 20 on a Sunday night on Radio Luxemburg on the tranny (original definition)under the bedclothes so that your parents wouldn't know when you should have been asleep. I used to think I was the only one who did this until my husband mentioned it to me and then I asked some friends and they all did it too. Ahhhhh happy days.
[/quote]

were you in my bedroom?????????????????????? this is spooky!!!!!!!!!!!! that is so weird had to becareful cos i didnt want the battery to run out cos i needed to take the radio to school and listen to the top 20, cant remember when it was tuesday 1pm rings a bell
amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caroline
04-08-2005, 00:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Of course, young whippersnappers like Caroline don't know what they've missed! [:O] ;) :D Only one TV indeed! We didn't have one (the above are all radio programmes!) and when we did it was black and white and had a screen about 9 inches in size!
[/quote]

[msnembarrased][msnembarrased] Whoops!

Ray&Sarah
04-08-2005, 03:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
Sorry Barbara don't remember those - but I do remember 'having' to watch Thunderbirds on a Sunday - My Dad was a fan and we only had the 1 TV in the house[:O] What would our kids think of that;)
[/quote]

Us too Caroline, just the one TV in the house, I can remember having to have a rota with my brother as to who could watch what on which night when we got in from school. Problem was always sorted when our Dad got home, after all it was his TV and we weren't going to argue with that.

LiesaAnna
04-08-2005, 03:35
and the TV went off when we had visitors!!! real ham sandwiches for special occasions!! (like an uncle and aunt visitng)
memories like the colours of my mind!!!!!!!!misty water full of memories like the way we were.......................................(someth ing like that anyway, ) Emporer Rosko Rocked!!!;)

Ray&Sarah
04-08-2005, 03:46
Must remember though that these were also the days when we had no Internet connection, so maybe not that great.[msnwink]:D

Jo
04-08-2005, 12:43
And blackcurrent squash hadn't been invented - it was always Orange or Lemon.

Time for bed said Zebedee!

sunseeker
05-08-2005, 00:52
Did anybody else have to get up and change the channel for dad because the remote control hadn't been invented yet? [msnsmile] or build a bike out of parts chucked in the local brook :D:D ahh those were the days.

Dave

blott
05-08-2005, 02:14
Or scr_aped the ice off the inside of the bedroom window in the mornings?

sunseeker
05-08-2005, 02:57
i had forgotten about ice on the inside brrr, also icicles as long as your arm from the gutters.

Dave

melfrank
05-08-2005, 03:10
Butterflies, butterscotch, scotch tape, tape worm, wood worm. wood lice, head lice, license to thrill, frilly blinds, blind mans bluff, call my bluff, robert robinson, anne robinson, killer robots, weakest link, chains, chainmail, medieval jousting, a knight's tale, heath ledger, accountancy, channcellor exchequer, interest rate drop, pear drops, sweetshops, sugar boost, uncontrollable children, ritalin, [xx(]

LiesaAnna
05-08-2005, 03:30
and we made go karts out of old pram wheels or roller skates that you put the foot in with shoes on!! infact they remind me off todays skate boards!!!

resorthomerentals
05-08-2005, 06:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
and we made go karts out of old pram wheels or roller skates that you put the foot in with shoes on!! infact they remind me off todays skate boards!!!
[/quote]

And the wheels were metal - and you had a key to adjust the size[msnsmile2]

I don't remember all of your childhood shows, but do remember the one black and white TV and the "kid" remote control [msnsmile2] LOL

My kids are really little, so I am having great fun introducing them to all these great activities while reliving them myself!

Rocco
05-08-2005, 06:48
How bout this....

Kids sitting on their doorsteps playing 'clackers' the two balls on ends of string, playing two balls on a wall, cats cradle, jacks/five stones, snakes and ladders, ludo, tiddly winks, french skipping, "had'

watching....crackerjack, andy pandy, handful of songs, captain pugwash (oooh so naughty!), the clangers, dangermouse, batfink, fingerbobs, playaway, making your mum her mother's day present out of an old washing up liquid bottle with the top cut off to hold her 'kitchen accessories' after watching Blue Peter, being allowed to watch 'adult programmes'...crown court, within these walls, bouquet of barbed wire, tales of the unexpected....emerdale farm when it was a farm and all the programme consisted of was annie sugdens shepherd's pies and a cow giving birth....

sheenallan
05-08-2005, 11:17
I remember it well sounds like a song !! pogo sticks,apple scrumping ,Making dolls out of pegs and pipe cleaners,s[bad language filtered out] books,jigsaws,being made to sit still went you went to any body's house or else you were in big trouble,and at school if you misbehaved you were sent to the head for the cane!! ,or just getting the blackboard rubber throw at you for talking,never did us any harm I know i sound like iam a GOW but those days you could walk down the stree without getting mugged or asked if you want any drugs,policemen were always on the beat and there when needed why with all this political correctness have things gone so horribly wrong.
Sheena

LiesaAnna
05-08-2005, 12:12
yes those were the days!!!!!!!!
lets keep adding it is so lovely remembering this!!
i remember Emmerdale farm, with Annie Sugden, Jack Sugden still there, those dam klacker balls, think they caused so many silly injuries!!
i remember the black board rubber come flying across the room (not at me;)) and it was ok, i was sent to the headmitress's office once and i remember Sh*****g myself i was afraid!! really afraid!!! todays kids have no fear cos to many do gooders around!!
clip around the ear was good for you!!!![msnwink]

julieanne
05-08-2005, 16:42
What have I started here?
We're all beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew [laugh] [laugh]

LiesaAnna
05-08-2005, 17:52
yeh but i love it!!! so carry on!![msnwink]

Rocco
05-08-2005, 18:52
When sports shoes were white plimsoles made out of cloth and the only way you kept them clean was to put a tipex style paint over them and eventually they cracked and you had white shoes with broken off bits to show the grey underneath. No designer brands. Everyone boasted how CHEAPLY they got things.

Wearing a grey pleated pinafore to school, starched white blouse, little white socks, grey marks and spencer cardigan and flat black shoes with a strap and buckle going across the front of the foot, and a brown satchel.

When there was no such thing as 'child entertainment and after school clubs'. Brownies for the girls, scouts for the boys. Kids had 'no rights'. Living under a parent's roof until the day you left meant you listened to the rules and you obeyed them otherwise there was the front door. You dare not say 'she' or 'no'.

Holidays were saved for all year round and children never thought to ask to go places like 'Florida'. A caravan holiday at the coast (possibly less than 70 miles away) for a week or two was the highlight of everyone's year.

Everyone adult was known to kids as 'auntie' or 'uncle' even next door neighbours. And dare your parents ever hear you had backchatted an adult....YOU would be in trouble for doing that, no matter what the adult had said.....following grandparents around everywhere they went thinking they were the most fantastic people and begging to stay with them every weekend...

Children were seen and not heard literally. Company at the house meant all the men in the living room playing cards having a beer, women would all be in the kitchen having a smoke and a cup of tea, and kids were sent upstairs to just entertain themselves....or was that just my family? haha

Oh and which women remember those paper cut out dolls that you would cut out the flat paper clothes for and stick on the body using tabs to hook onto the shoulders? And paper dolls with metal studs holding them together which when you shook the head they would move?

Tipsy tumbles...fuzzy felts, my dad not affording me a pair of stilts so he made me a pair out of four massive blocks of wood which when I stood on, I fell over, I couldn't carry them they were so heavy and everytime I touched them I got splinters...haha

caroline
05-08-2005, 19:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rocco

Wearing a grey pleated pinafore to school, starched white blouse, little white socks, grey marks and spencer cardigan and flat black shoes with a strap and buckle going across the front of the foot, and a brown satchel.
[/quote]

This could start a whole new photo thread, I'm sure we're all got the 'first day at school' photo??

LiesaAnna
05-08-2005, 21:23
i will start it!! off to the photo gallery!!!

done it!!!!
stop reading this have a laugh look at my hair when i was 13!!!

off to the photo gallery!![msntongue]

sunseeker
05-08-2005, 22:51
The mobile shop, the rag & bone man, the rent man ( can remember mum telling us to be quiet untill he had gone :D) Playing knock down ginger and the big match sunday lunch time....

Dave

Rocco
06-08-2005, 00:42
Men on bikes with blue boxes in the front selling toffee apples.....kids being glued to jim'll fix it....starsky & hutch....the patridge family - crushes on david cassidy and donny osmond....what about the adverts.....

thanks for giving us heinz beans....clunk click every trip....watch out watch out there's a humphrey about (begging the milkman for humphrey straws which in actual fact were just plain old red and white striped straws)..the milky bar kid is strong and tough and only the best is good enough.....

haha that was the day's we pronounced nestles as nessles....now it's all trendy and pronouned nestlay.

Being a kid meant a haircut was a traumatic deal for girls. I remember being about 10 with long hair down to my bum and explaining in intricate terms to the hairdresser what I wanted done....Only to look up in the mirror while the hairdresser was holding my hair in the air and seeing my mother doing scissor signs with her fingers. Half an hour later I walked out with a dreaded 'purdy' cut....[msnmad]

Who remembers playing knock down ginger with a piece of string and then wondering how adults caught you in the dark when all they had to do was hold on to the string on the door knocker and follow you to your hideout?

What about tying your loose tooth to a piece of string and then to the door and screaming when you told your dad to slam the door and they did....? hahaha[clap]

Ray&Sarah
06-08-2005, 02:45
Ah yes the Purdy cut, I had one of those too.[msnoo][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
06-08-2005, 03:13
oh yes those were the good ol days!!![msnwink] i go back with every memory!!!thankyou to everyone for these even tho its not mt thread!! its so much fun being taken back!! to the good ol days!!!! best years of my life!!!(apart from growing up falling in love withs steve (hubby) and having kids)

Ray&Sarah
06-08-2005, 03:15
One of my favourite memories is popping into the sweet shop on the way to school and buying a quarter of sherbert pips, lemon bonbons or chewing nuts. It was great seeing all those jars of sweets on the shelves.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
06-08-2005, 03:18
sounds to me we had the better days then any other generation!!!

we should start our own club!!! so we can sit and reminise everynight!!!
arent memories great!!! please dont let me lose mine!!!(well if i do i will look in here and think)

06-08-2005, 13:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Linicia
[/quote]

I did this too LOL!!!!!![msnwink]

CarolAnn
06-08-2005, 14:18
I love the looking back, though Black & white tv haunts me :( I do refuse to watch a B&W film...and hubby loves some of the classics[msneek]

Rocco
06-08-2005, 18:46
Not only listening to the top 20 on a sunday night but trying to record songs you liked from it on a machine which wasn't even connected to the radio! Playing those songs back to your friends and then coughing loudly hoping they wouldn't notice the end of the song had been cut off because you stopped before the DJ started talking again hahaha

LiesaAnna
06-08-2005, 20:14
i did that to!! every sunday we would meet down our friends house she had the big wheel to wheel tape recorder!! we would put the radio on and then everyone would be quiet and record some good songs! we'd play cards we would share a cigerette, and have so much fun!!

Rocco
06-08-2005, 20:41
Reel to reel machines, big gramophones, playing a pile of records at one time and by the time you got to no.3 on the pile it was playing really wonky. How about playing 33 records at a 78 speed and laughing your head off at that!

sunseeker
06-08-2005, 21:58
Reel to reel machines, big gramophones, playing a pile of records at one time and by the time you got to no.3 on the pile it was playing really wonky. How about playing 33 records at a 78 speed and laughing your head off at that!
[/quote]

Ha ha yep we used to do that as well, sounded just like pinky & perky.

Dave

Rocco
06-08-2005, 22:46
Hands up all who owned a pinky and perky record? haha[msncool][clap]

sunseeker
07-08-2005, 00:20
[msnwink]

Dave

LiesaAnna
07-08-2005, 02:54
i didnt,
or what was the name of two little bears or something on tv, sure it was a lady presenter jean???oh blow thats disturbing!!
i found them!!!!!!
Tingha and Tucker????? ring any bells??

"bear in mind to be good and kind"
jean morton

i loved that and on the page i found them the lyrics are there for the song!!!

Ray&Sarah
07-08-2005, 03:23
We used to sit around the table on a Sunday luchtime and listen to Jimmy Young playing all the golden oldies from certain years in the past and my parents would try and guess the singer and the song title. We used to think they were mad but now we do much the same sort of thing when we hear an old song.:D

LiesaAnna
07-08-2005, 11:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
We used to sit around the table on a Sunday luchtime and listen to Jimmy Young playing all the golden oldies from certain years in the past and my parents would try and guess the singer and the song title. We used to think they were mad but now we do much the same sort of thing when we hear an old song.:D
[/quote]

Sarah! you really dont mind telling all! listening to jimmy young?[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
07-08-2005, 13:43
[/quote]

Sarah! you really dont mind telling all! listening to jimmy young?[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]
[/quote]

Didn't have a choice Liesa, I was about 7 or 8 at the time and my parents thought it was great, my brother and I used to cringe.:D

LiesaAnna
07-08-2005, 14:21
yes i cringed to!![msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

flyrr100
08-08-2005, 21:44
Black Jacks, Fruit Salads, Whizzer & Chips, Wagon Wheels, Tizer, Cherryaid (for Christmas), 99, Timpo Cowboys and Indians, Thunderbirds toys that didn't talk, Dinky Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Rupert the Bear in the Daily Express, Spending hours playing cars in mum's rose garden, Football cards.

I was there!

sheenallan
11-08-2005, 21:30
Muffin the Mule ,Wooden tops, Test card,National Anthem at 10.30 pm when the telly closed down for the night,whips & tops ,Penny loaves ,big orange jubbly,s
snobs,hop scotch,and what did you call that knitting with a cotton reel with four pins stuck in the top ,the nitting use to go down the middle of the cotton reel.
Happy days
Sheena.

Ray&Sarah
11-08-2005, 21:45
Wasn't it French knitting, or am I getting confused with French skipping.[msneek][msnsmile2]

sheenallan
12-08-2005, 10:16
Good morning,
Yes it was french knitting,I also had the Pinky and Perky record,Does your chewing gum lose it's flavour on the bed post overnight,also had the same one by Lonnie Donagan.
Sheena

LiesaAnna
12-08-2005, 13:22
definately french knitting, i saw it yesterday in a shop (looking for miniature dolls things) and found french knitting, was debating should i or shouldnt i get it? then tried to think what would i make with a long string of wool?????? the mind boggles!!!

Linicia
12-08-2005, 16:41
I used to have the big orange Jubblies frozen from the shop. Always had one on my way home from school in the summer. I'm sure they were bigger when they were first introduced than they were when my children were young. Bit like Waggon Wheels, they used to be bigger. Can you sill get Jubblies and Waggon Wheels? Then there were Spangles and Spanish Root and real Sarsasparilla in the Sarsasparilla shop. I can still taste it now, just thinking about it.

LiesaAnna
12-08-2005, 17:07
what is spanish root? sarsaparilla?

one fond memory is we used to love eating pomegranites! 1 bit at a time!
sitting in the woods drinking a bottle of cider 3 straws in a bottle!! oh yes those were the days!

Rocco
12-08-2005, 17:38
French skipping was where we used to tie all elastic bands together and then make a big circle by tying two ends together and two girls would get inside and then everyone would jump over one side, in the middle and so on!

Somerset
12-08-2005, 21:06
We used to eat pomegranates with a pin ! Pick the fruit out that is! What about pick-up sticks, jacks, skipping (running in!), two balls, (now,now!), knock and run, hopscotch...
I thought it was great when I had a red trike - but when I got a two-wheeler (wow-stabilisers!)...
Computer games don't have the same ring about them somehow, do they?

[msnsad]

[msnwink]

Newhomebuyer
12-08-2005, 21:45
Did any one buy the New Musical Express when it really was new?
I remember penny loaves, cherry lips and parma (palma) violets. Mostly we had sugar in a triangular shaped bag as a treat not sweets from the shop. There were no baths at the pit head and the coal miners caught the bus with dirty faces and many of them kept their pit helments on. I couldn't tell who was who sometimes. People bought rolled tobacco to chew called twist. The Dandy and Beano had a special smell and crisps bags were stored in tins under the shop keepers counter.
Really wide white belts and layers of net underskirts.
Sticks that you chewed and coltsfoot rock.
Calling for someone by yelling their name outside the back gate until they came.

LiesaAnna
13-08-2005, 01:13
ha ha ha talk about the good old days!!!

we used to go to the swimming baths every saturday and call in to the chippy on our way ho,e and buy half a pint of winkles!! we used pins to pull it out!! wouldnt catch me doing it now!!![msnscared] or if we were really poor that week we asked for the s[bad language filtered out]s from the batter!! so good!

yes i remember french skipping i think it was called with elastic bands knotted together and we had them round our ankles and used to jump in and out of them to certain names!!

this is a wonderful place full of memories!![msncry] no sorry they were the best days!!!:D

Linicia
13-08-2005, 02:01
what is spanish root? sarsaparilla?

[/quote]

Liesa

Spanish Root lookes like a large twig that you chewed and sucked and the end went sort of woody and stringy and your tongue went a greeny brown colour as the juice came out. They were a really acquired taste.
Sarsasparilla was a drink the same colour as coke but sold by the pint and half pint - delicious.

LiesaAnna
13-08-2005, 06:11
oh i remember it!!! aniseedy/liquorice? i think!

Ray&Sarah
13-08-2005, 13:33
Ah yes French skipping, "Outide, inside, outside, on" remember it well.[msnsmile2]

emm
13-08-2005, 17:18
Ah yes French skipping, "Outide, inside, outside, on" remember it well.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I'm sure we used to call that Chinese ropes. We used to use either a very long piece of elastic or, most usually, loads of coloured elastic bands joined together.

Or, am I confusing it with Chinese burns, which you used to give people on the wrist if you caught them during a chasing game called Kiss, Kick or Torture!

LiesaAnna
13-08-2005, 18:00
ah how cruel!!! what about rock scissors or paper? kept us amused and cost nothing!

emm
13-08-2005, 18:36
ah how cruel!!! what about rock scissors or paper? kept us amused and cost nothing!
[/quote]

Oh we played that too! [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
14-08-2005, 14:43
if you look through many of what we have all written you will find many have been done many times since! its funny when my kids were small they used to sing songs we did, and their faces were amazed cos we knew "their" words!!
even the fashion, i know its all the same but they have many different fabrics to us!

jovi
16-08-2005, 02:49
Anyone remember the sweet tobacco in the proper looking packet?[msntongue] Or has anyone seen a newt or salamander for years. I have'nt[msneek]

blott
16-08-2005, 04:37
if you look through many of what we have all written you will find many have been done many times since! its funny when my kids were small they used to sing songs we did, and their faces were amazed cos we knew "their" words!!
even the fashion, i know its all the same but they have many different fabrics to us![/quote]Ring O Ring O Roses started with the Great Plague of London in 1666 so the words have been passed from generation to generation - amazing!

sunseeker
16-08-2005, 22:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
even the fashion, i know its all the same but they have many different fabrics to us![/quote]Ring O Ring O Roses started with the Great Plague of London in 1666 so the words have been passed from generation to generation - amazing!
[/quote]

The plague was 1665 Blott, the fire was in 1666.

Dave

sunseeker
16-08-2005, 22:40
I can remember it getting so cold that the cream from the milk forced the top off of the bottles, and sometimes the odd blue tit would have a peck through the bottle tops.

Dave

LiesaAnna
17-08-2005, 02:47
yeh i remember the days when mum left the milk money screwed up in a bit of paper shoved thru the neck of the empty bottle! wouldnt dream of doing that today, also the coalman used to come into the house when dad was in bed asleep (worked nights in a hospital) and i think mum left the money on the table for him to collect! (she worked in a cancer home in Brighton) never ever locked the back door, in fact when the phone bill came in once there were calls made to a place we had never heard of! weston super mare, none of us had done it, so we assumed a neighbour who knew the house was empty let herself in to make a call!
dad grew flowers and all sorts of veggies in the garden, we took bunches of dahlias into the teacher each week

emm
17-08-2005, 02:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker
I can remember it getting so cold that the cream from the milk forced the top off of the bottles, and sometimes the odd blue tit would have a peck through the bottle tops.

Dave
[/quote]

I remember it used to get so cold that there was ice on the inside of the bedroom windows!!

Ray&Sarah
17-08-2005, 16:36
We never used to lock our front door when I was growing up either, anybody could walk straight in, but they never did. My dad had hundreds of pounds worth of tools in his garage and the door was always wide open but nothing ever went missing.[msnsmile2]

Tonish
17-08-2005, 17:22
How bout this....

Kids sitting on their doorsteps playing 'clackers' the two balls on ends of string, playing two balls on a wall, cats cradle, jacks/five stones, snakes and ladders, ludo, tiddly winks, french skipping, "had'

watching....crackerjack, andy pandy, handful of songs, captain pugwash (oooh so naughty!), the clangers, dangermouse, batfink, fingerbobs, playaway, making your mum her mother's day present out of an old washing up liquid bottle with the top cut off to hold her 'kitchen accessories' after watching Blue Peter, being allowed to watch 'adult programmes'...crown court, within these walls, bouquet of barbed wire, tales of the unexpected....emerdale farm when it was a farm and all the programme consisted of was annie sugdens shepherd's pies and a cow giving birth....
[/quote]

<span style="color:red">CRACKERJACK!!!</span id="red">

:D

Tonish

LiesaAnna
17-08-2005, 19:02
i used to love that!
so much so we had to go and see Leslie Crowther and his show at the Theatre Royal in Brighton, Susan Maughan, Peter Gordeno, shelia Bonetti ??? think it was called The Saturday Show, it was great, i used to send off for all their autographed photos!

i love this!

julieanne
17-08-2005, 20:23
We didn't get wonderful holidays in Florida though did we [msnwink] [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
17-08-2005, 21:27
didnt have holidays full stop!!
used to really look forward to the school holidays! now i dont!![msnwink]
we used to play in the hay field and make camps out of the stacked up bails of hay!! till one day i fell thru the top and really winded myself!!
built camps in the woods! no fear!!!!!!

flyrr100
17-08-2005, 21:49
Ring a ring a roses has been a constant argument in my house. Amy is from Montana and insists the last line is: Ashes Ashes we all fall down.
Anyone have the definitive story of the rhyme?

emm
17-08-2005, 22:51
The last line "A-tishoo, a-tishoo, we all fall down" refers to the fact that people were sneezing before they all fell down (died). I have read that the words "Ashes, ashes" are another version of the sound made when you sneeze.

Ray&Sarah
18-08-2005, 07:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
How bout this....

[/quote]

<span style="color:red">CRACKERJACK!!!</span id="red">

:D

Tonish
[/quote]

Its Friday, its 5 to 5 and its ..................[msnsmile2]

Linicia
19-08-2005, 04:13
Saturday morning cinema for children with the very first Batman pictures in black and white. They always left the end of each episode as a cliff hanger to get you to go back the next week.

Paula D-S
20-08-2005, 18:44
When Bonfire night was a real occasion, the fires were enormous and it lasted for days. Homemade toffee apples.

Spangles were always the last to go out of the selection boxes at Christmas.

We could walk to and from school alone.

Saturday Grandstand ( I hated that).

My most vivid memory was on a Saturday night The Six Million Dollar Man was on telly, I was only about five and I was just allowed to watch the start when Steve Austin jumped over the cars, then I had to go to bed[msncry][msncry]

I always wanted a chopper[msneek]or a grifter but I got a ladies bike with a white leather bag on the front.

This is fun
Paula

flyrr100
20-08-2005, 20:34
I remember being in bed and my parents watching The Saint with Roger Moore. I remember hearing the theme tune then falling asleep.

Ray&Sarah
20-08-2005, 20:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
When Bonfire night was a real occasion, the fires were enormous and it lasted for days. Homemade toffee apples.

Spangles were always the last to go out of the selection boxes at Christmas.

We could walk to and from school alone.

Saturday Grandstand ( I hated that).

My most vivid memory was on a Saturday night The Six Million Dollar Man was on telly, I was only about five and I was just allowed to watch the start when Steve Austin jumped over the cars, then I had to go to bed[msncry][msncry]

I always wanted a chopper[msneek]or a grifter but I got a ladies bike with a white leather bag on the front.

This is fun
Paula
[/quote]

Think it must have been a girl thing, I hated Grandstand too, boring![msnwink]:D

LiesaAnna
20-08-2005, 20:49
me too i hated grandstand! but i loved watching the wrestling! kids today just dont know proper wrestling!![msnwink] jacky pallo, giant haystacks , big daddy, as Paula was saying about the bonfires, walking home alone, see the kids today will never understand what we had and what we did, the entertainment we made for ourselves that cost NOTHING!!!
we could go out all day and come in when hungry! for jam sandwiches for tea,

life was great for me i was born in sept 1960, whats everyone elses year? my favourite year was 1975 a bit before and a bit after!! my school days were the best!!!

sunseeker
20-08-2005, 22:12
loved Grandstand & World of sport, when that finished it was time to watch Dr Who from behind the sofa :D:D

Dave

imported_n/a
11-09-2005, 03:10
I sat around with a friend one evening and we played "Court Room" every two minutes one of us would say, "Jury Member when....We used to collect glass pop bottles and take them back to the "Off License" for the 2 old pence back on the bottle. If you collected enough you could get a bag of chips for sixpence and a bottle of Cresta, it was frothy man. It had a very cool looking white bear on the label.

Mr H.

LiesaAnna
11-09-2005, 11:52
yeh we did that!! corona bottles!!