PDA

View Full Version : weather

gullwing
29-04-2003, 17:41
wots the weather likely to be in late july start of august a lot of rain or heavy showers.

blott
29-04-2003, 17:48
Hi Gullwing

Welcome to the forum.

The weather is hot (90F+) in July/August and there's often a storm in the late afternoon which clears up fairly quickly and it returns to sunshine again.

Daniel Ramsey
29-04-2003, 18:07
I do not think I would like it in the summer in Florida unless there was a cool breeze, I used to live in Houston Texas for years, 90 degrees with 90% humidity, like being in a sauna but then again I'm acclimated to Alaska weather, very very dry here, its actually happened on rare occasions when we see 80F that we send everybody home because its too hot to work in, go figure:D

OTOH I can work all day long in 30-50F days wearing just a heavy workshirt, only time I put on my heavy insulated coveralls is when its cold and windy or below zero. darn things weigh at least twenty pounds! almost like wearing a space suit but they keep me warm at -45.

On our last visit in early december in Orlando the daily temps were mid 70's, low humidity, clear skies,only rained once, absolutely NO mosquitoes.Perfect weather in every way except my allergies came back to me with a vengence. In the summer in Alaska the mosquitos get so big and numerous its unbelievable. Like swarms of small birds;)

porky
29-04-2003, 20:31
Daniel,

I have frineds in Minneapolis who swear the state bird of Minnesota is the mosquito:D

Jacqui

fiona
29-04-2003, 20:42
It is very hot - late 90's, very humid, and usually what we call the 3 o'clock showers - torrential downpour for 30/60 mins and then it clears up. However, if a hurricane is heading towards the Florida penninsula the weather can be very unpredictable, and it is still warm, but hazy rather than clear skies. If there has just been a big storm then the weather is usually fabulous! Hot, hot, hot and virtually no rain.

porky
29-04-2003, 21:26
Gullwing,

If you like watching lightning then July August is the time to go. I adore it and spend many afternoons sitting out under my lania watching the beautiful patterns as the lightning dances across the skies. You don't see anything like it back hee, unfortunately:(

Jacqui

orlandobabe
29-04-2003, 22:49
I can't imagine it getting hot enough in Alaska to have mosquitos. I didn't think it got hot enough for the snow to melt!

Daniel Ramsey
30-04-2003, 15:12
We see every summer temperatures near 100 in the interior up near Firbanks which is about 300 miles north of me, from june-aug our local temps are often between 70-80 degrees.20 hour days of sunlight.
Mosquitos grow huge here and the swarms have even killed herds of caribou, its so bad we have to use 100% DEET or weear mosquito face nets when out in the woods, often I burn mosquito coils to make repellant smoke INSIDE the house because they get so bad, Alaska must have a million lakes but so far we have been very dry with almost no rain this year. Global warming has also given us a record warm winter with very little`snowfall. No standing water mens less breeding.

medlock
02-05-2003, 22:44
Hi just signed up . looks like a great site to pick brains.
Any way, we are planning to come over for Christmas to orlando, and wondering how warm it will be in the evenings as well as the days. I hear it is 70ish , is that OK for the water parks, oh' and do you realy need to have the pool heated? [:I]

esprit
02-05-2003, 23:36
Christmas has been chilly for the past few years. Not all the time, but some nice days ( 70s) and then a cold snap. By cold I mean high 50s or 60s in the day but the nights are chilly, even cold and I mean cold ( 40s) once the sun goes down. You will need a warm cardy or fleece or even a coat. Yes, you will want the pool heating on if you want to use the pool and no, I would not go to the water parks ( some are shut anyway over Winter). The pools are heated at these and you would be OK in the water but you would get very chilly walking up the steps for the flumes. Or perhaps I am just a wimp. I wont even go on the water rides at the parks at Xmas unless I take a change of clothes. You just dont dry off like you do in Summer and end up damp and chilly for the rest of the days otherwise. On the pro side, no gasping for a drink every two seconds, no thunderstorms ( apart from the humdinger we had last new years eve!) no mossies or insects, nice and crisp with a blue sky, feels quite Christmassy somehow.

fiona
03-05-2003, 01:27
I second everything Julie says. But we love it and will be going ourselves! It can be cool - but it can be in the 80's during the day and then cooler at night. You must have pool heat if you want to swim!

medlock
03-05-2003, 23:06
Thanks for the info , I don't suppose the Disiney ticks are cheaper as the water parks are off the menu.

fiona
04-05-2003, 03:46
No, but the hopper tickets are valid for ever so you can use them on another trip!