PDA

View Full Version : Air Atlanta

melfrank
31-07-2005, 17:01
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has flown a charter from Manchester to Sanford with Air Atlanta. We've booked last minute flight at very reasonable prices but have never flown charter before.

LiesaAnna
31-07-2005, 17:03
have just been through this one might have some tips here?

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_22634.asp

Somerset
31-07-2005, 20:40
We flew with Air Atlanta (jumbo jet)last November from Manchester to Sanford.
While the interior of the plane was a bit 'tired' - we had plenty of room and no cause for complaint. I would use them again.
[msnsmile2]

melfrank
31-07-2005, 21:19
Thanks for the posts - especially the link to previous discussions. We've booked the flights already and I was just wanting to know what to expect. So long as safety isnt compromised we can put up with planes a little "tired" - I've flown indirect before and although flights themselves were good door to door travel was over 18 hours - so, given the cost saving, were happy to give this one a go.[msncool] [clap]

Somerset
01-08-2005, 04:28
To be honest - I would not fly anyway else but DIRECT

Somerset
01-08-2005, 04:33
Sorry - hit the wrong key too soon! I would put up with any charter to go direct - although some are obviously better than others and the conditions of most charters is cramped. However, Air Atlanta (TCD) although the subject of many a moan and groan - do have a seat spec the same as a scheduled flight - and as you can only speak as you find -they have been ok in my experience.

I would hate to travel via anywhere else (Chicago) for example - and have the same experience of my sister who found that her ongoing flight was oversubscribed and had to wait 6 hours for the next flight! I DONT THINK SO!!!

Robert5988
01-08-2005, 05:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Sorry - hit the wrong key too soon! I would put up with any charter to go direct - although some are obviously better than others and the conditions of most charters is cramped. However, Air Atlanta (TCD) although the subject of many a moan and groan - do have a seat spec the same as a scheduled flight - and as you can only speak as you find -they have been ok in my experience.

I would hate to travel via anywhere else (Chicago) for example - and have the same experience of my sister who found that her ongoing flight was oversubscribed and had to wait 6 hours for the next flight! I DONT THINK SO!!![/quote]

I take completely the opposite view and will never travel on a charter again.

Whilst charters may be direct, if you compare the delays experienced by them compared to scheduled airlines you will have no doubt who has the better record.

Also scheduled airlines invariably offer incentives if the flight is oversuscribed. I have been offered hundreds of pounds to accept a later flight and just recently my son was offered a free flight anywhere in the world to travel next day.

Katys Grandad
01-08-2005, 09:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Somerset
Sorry - hit the wrong key too soon! I would put up with any charter to go direct - although some are obviously better than others and the conditions of most charters is cramped. However, Air Atlanta (TCD) although the subject of many a moan and groan - do have a seat spec the same as a scheduled flight - and as you can only speak as you find -they have been ok in my experience.

I would hate to travel via anywhere else (Chicago) for example - and have the same experience of my sister who found that her ongoing flight was oversubscribed and had to wait 6 hours for the next flight! I DONT THINK SO!!!
[/quote]

If your sister was delayed due to the flight be oversubscribed, she should have been compensated (and usually fairly generously).

While I can understand the attractions of a direct flight, a well planned indirect journey on a scheduled airline can more or less match arrival times and can even be cheaper than a charter.

JayCee
01-08-2005, 16:37
I've flown with Air Atlanta a number of times from Manchester to Sanford.

[photo removed as it's copyrighted and we do not have the owners permission to show it]

On the positive side :

* Its cheap
* Plenty of legroom
* Friendly staff
* Plenty to drink
* Foods fine

On the negative side :

* The planes are old (20 years+ I've read elsewhere)
* Interior is borderline scruffy
* Entertainment is slim to nonexistent (A couple of TV's)

Summary :

You get what you pay for. If you want luxury, pay to go with Virgin. If you are on a budget and prefer to spend your money in Orlando itself, go Air Atlanta (Travel City) everytime.

Somerset
01-08-2005, 21:50
As usual - we can all only speak as we find.

I must say that in 12+ years of travelling to Orlando - the majority of that with chartered flights - I have only been delayed twice. Once out of Manchester for 4 hours, and once out of Sanford for 2 hours.

I would like to fly scheduled more often - but cannot find comparible prices, never have been able to - perhaps I shop in the wrong places? I can honestly say that I try both internet and phone sales lines, and the costs of scheduled flights is usually equal to if not more than, a fly-drive cost on a charter.

As for my sis being compensated - she was warned of this flight oversubscription before she left the UK by her flightfinder (an extremely reputable and well known seller). She tried every which way to get compensation, flight changes etc.etc. but was told to re-read the small print where they had the right to change flight scheduled as was necessary. There were simply no ongoing flights with 5 seats available so she had to wait. I guess had she been told of the oversubscription at the US airport - then she probably would been offered all kinds of goodies. As it was, the journey was a gruelling 20+ hours.

If you guys know the right way and the right people to book with - then please tell all!!!

[msnwink]

02-08-2005, 01:08
Regarding seat pitch Air Atlanta have many different configarations on their 747's and the seat pitch in economy varies from 30-32 according to their seat plans.

Something else to consider is how the airlines measure the seat pitch, some charter companies have been known to include the seat in the measurement instead of just the space [msnscared]

domster
02-08-2005, 02:31
I agree with les on this one.

I would rather fly Charter if it is direct than have a wait and change of plane at another US airport. Far to many times we here of people not making the connection.

As for delays all companies experience these, maybe it is because the planes are on the go all the time. I would not say as it is charter it will be delayed more than scheduled. My worst delay was 10 hours with BA...

Back to the subject I travelled back from IRAQ on air Atlanta and it was horrible, I was directly in front of the tv and still could not see it.