PDA

View Full Version : Washing powder ?

Kissyme
29-04-2003, 16:23
T[:I]his is a bit of a bizarre question but could I take my own washing powder with me or can you get Persil non bio over there I ask this because I have Eczeama and different powders start it of and I dont want to be sctratching for 2 wks

Daniel Ramsey
29-04-2003, 16:43
Have you ever heard of the Arm and Hammer brand? you mean powder for washing clothes? if so try it, its very mild. What I do to all of our families clothes is use fabric softner to prevent chaffing, but here in the states many stores have hypoallergenic or hyper (sp?) that are fragrence free and have such cleansers that are more neutral like using baking soda. Arm & Hammer comes first to mind.

Claire
29-04-2003, 17:18
Kissyme

Take some with you - we always do for my mother, who has a similar problem to you. Take the wrapped tablets - they won't spill and also don't make everything in the suitcase smell of Persil!!

CLAIRE

blott
29-04-2003, 17:43
Hi Kissyme

I've not seen Persil non-bio in the supermarkets although there are other brands available which are similar, I would stick with what you know and is suitable for you. We always do as Claire has advised - make sure you wrap them in a polythene bag too. We usually bring a small bottle/carton of conditioner too.

The packet/bottle sizes in US are quite large and there are no smaller sizes available so, unless you are going to do absolutely loads of washing, it's probably better/easier to bring what you like with you.

Amirah
29-04-2003, 19:18
We don't have Persil non-bio here but Arm & Hammer is good when it comes to prevent skin problems.

fiona
29-04-2003, 20:51
I buy a non-bio version of one of the brands over there, never had any problems. My girls have very sensitive skins - but I should think Steph is the expert on this subject.

steph_goodrum
29-04-2003, 21:08
I must admit Fiona I've steered clear of taking soap powder over with me because I didn't know if the sniffer dogs might pick up on the powerful smell and mean we have hassle having to have bags checked. I can't remember the brand I bought over there but found one that was non biological that didn't seem to aggravate Michelle skin, which as Fiona knows from what I've told her takes some doing. I think it helps that she wears so few clothes over there that they aren't contacting her skin the same way and mostly don't really get dirty so put the minimal amount of powder in and give the clothes an extra rinse, we can't use fabric softener of any description, that always makes it flare up, but I tumble the clothes for the softness. I can let you know in October when I check my owners closet.:D

orlandobabe
29-04-2003, 22:46
While we are on the subject of washing powders I always suggest to guests that they use Purex if they buy it in Florida-as they do one without bleach.

All villa owners will tell you that it doesn't take long for our nice new bedding to fade with some of the washing powders/liquids over there.

Cowboy
29-04-2003, 23:04
Kissyme,
Don't spoil your holiday. Take the stuff that suits you in your case. Eczema is horrible so why suffer?

OB you are a mind of information. Thanks for the tip on Purex.

Mike.

steph_goodrum
30-04-2003, 00:13
That's what it's called, I thought I'd recognise the name if I saw it but couldn't remember offhand. Sometimes though it doesn't matter what is in it, it is enough that it is different to make the exzema flare up, we've found the sun usually helps Michelles skin but the chlorine doesn't so it's just a case of wacking on the creams and hoping it doesn't get infected.

Kissyme
30-04-2003, 16:01
Many thanks for all your replies sitting here scratching as we speak!! Your absolutly right about the sun and air though legs virtually clear up all together perhaps I will insist we live in Florida all the time on medical grounds Ha Ha

Elaine
01-05-2003, 02:01
[8D]
My daughter, Hannah, suffers from excema and we have tried putting petroleum jelly on the worst bits to try to keep the chlorine off, you could try that. She also complains that sunscreen stings. We have found that the lotion made by Roche (the French company) is a lot better and she's happy to use it. We used to have to buy it in France but now they sell it in Boots.

Regarding the washing powder - it doesn't seem to affect her skin but as lots of people do we take the wrapped tablets to avoid having to buy a huge box.

Elaine

Susan J
13-05-2003, 15:33
Petroleum Jelly will not help Excema -it can aggrievate it, be careful !
Any OINTMENT as against cream for moisture will help.
THats a dermatologists point of view though - I say if it works go ahead !
Now for my sons Excema [ which always clears up in Florida also - is it the constant moisturising of sun tan cream or the heat or what ?!?!] I always use Purex or Tide bleach free, and haven't had problems - and conditioner sheets[ also fragrance free type, can't remember name]
If you are using English tablets, you need to use twice as many in the wash as in your front loader. THis is because the top loader works on cleaning your washing on a different principle. It uses soap suds,and therefore needs bubbles, rather than an hour and a half's agitation. Lack of suds can lead to bobbles on clothes.
Over in the UK I use Filetti powder - very good.