PDA

View Full Version : Renting Villa -vs- Motel/Hotel

Twiglet
28-07-2005, 03:12
As you know, I am looking into renting two houses for a family reunion in 2008.

A question my sisters are asking, is why rent houses as we will be out at the theme parks and sightseeing most days, do we really need a house/pool. They said its not like Spain where you sit by the pool each day. They are thinking of costs, and wondering if it would be cheaper to stay in a hotel?

I think it would be like visiting Gold Coast in Australia, when you spend a day at the theme parks, you are so exhausted you probably need a day 'off' in between to recover, and its nice to have a house, rather than a room to hang out in.

I wanted to ask other Villa Renters why they went for a villa, over a room, had they had motels/hotels before, and did they find the villa easier?

My family we would still stay in a villa, as we would need three rooms anyway for my family, and that's our preference, but I would like to find out pros/cons for my sisters (who I have suggested join here anyway!).

chrizzy100
28-07-2005, 03:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Twiglet
As you know, I am looking into renting two houses for a family reunion in 2008.

A question my sisters are asking, is why rent houses as we will be out at the theme parks and sightseeing most days, do we really need a house/pool. They said its not like Spain where you sit by the pool each day. They are thinking of costs, and wondering if it would be cheaper to stay in a hotel?

I think it would be like visiting Gold Coast in Australia, when you spend a day at the theme parks, you are so exhausted you probably need a day 'off' in between to recover, and its nice to have a house, rather than a room to hang out in.

I wanted to ask other Villa Renters why they went for a villa, over a room, had they had motels/hotels before, and did they find the villa easier?

My family we would still stay in a villa, as we would need three rooms anyway for my family, and that's our preference, but I would like to find out pros/cons for my sisters (who I have suggested join here anyway!).

[/quote]

I've always been very happy with my hotel holidays in Orlando.....I like room service....no cooking.....having the room cleaned.....not having to drive out for dinner.....

We get up and go out every day......and come back late....
We've done a holiday without a car a few times......

In a villa ..... well its self catering....its cheaper if a few of you rent together........
I've not rented a home for years....not after finding out about room service.......[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

From what I've been reading about your trip....a villa would be the best thing......that is if you all get on OK......[msnsmile2]

dcnurse
28-07-2005, 04:07
You are 100% correct when you say after a long day at the park you need a day to recover!

This is how we plan our holiday, one day out, one day in. On an "in" day we perhaps dont stay at the house all day but find something to do locally. (Shopping![clap])Perhaps spend part of the exploring the local area and part of the day relaxing by the pool getting ready for another full day at the parks.

If you tried to spend all day every day at the parks you would need a holiday when you got home to recover[msneek].

A villa is by the far the better way to holiday in Florida, you do what you want, when you want[msnsmile2]

mm69340
28-07-2005, 04:27
The reason we started renting houses is because Dan and I wanted to enjoy our vacation and not have to go to sleep when the children did in the hotel. This way all the children could sleep in their own bed with their own doors and Dan and I could then swim, watch a movie and relax.

After a day at the parks, you and your sister can chat and relax poolside while the children all get a good night sleep. You won't have to worry if your rooms aren't next to each other and with 2 houses, you can all have enough room and not be climbing over each other to get ready to go out.

dolphinv
28-07-2005, 04:27
We stayed in Aparthotels like the Enclave suites 2-3 years running, then we had enough to make a villa rental viable and would neve go back to a hotel with a group of more than 4. You can relax at the house do your own thing pop out to the pool with a coffee or a glass of wine. In the hotels the maid is knocking on the door from god knows what hour wanting to make the beds etc.You are in a closed space all atop of one another etc...In a home you nearly treat it as your own and feel at home even if your away..
We loved villas so much we bought our own:D

fiona
28-07-2005, 04:34
There is absolutely no comparison! We came on holiday to Florida for our first visit 10 years ago after many years of staying in hotels, camping and self-catering accommodation in Europe.

I cannot describe the feeling of awe as we walked through the villa, the space, all the facilities, our own master suite, a room each for the girls, everything looking immaculate, air-con, and a beautiful pool of our own. We used to do 2 days at the parks, and 1 day at the villa for the 2 weeks, and then went down to the Gulf Coast to stay in a condo in Sanibel for a chill out. The next time we came we did the same thing, except we loved the villas in the Orlando area so much, we opted for a villa in Naples. Again and again the wow!! as you first enter. A few years ago (after owning our own villa for a few years) we flew in to Miami and decided to stay in a hotel. What a mistake, cost a fortune, air-con was so noisy we couldn't sleep, and of course it didn't work properly. The king sofa bed was no such thing, and barely larger than a single. Luckily my brother had come with us, so my husband had to bunk up with him while us 3 girl shared this supposed luxurious suite. Manky carpets. The food in the restaurant at the hotel was a joke. And oh the bliss of arriving at our villa, choosing to swim when we wished, eat & drink when we wanted to, and oh of course, the space.

To get anything similar you need to say at a 5* hotel and even then you never have the freedom you have in a villa. If you want to eat out or have a takeaway every meal you can. But if you want to just chill out by a pool, sitting there as the sunsets with your cocktail in hand takes alot of beating. Or as you limp back exhausted and boiling after a hard day in the parks, you throw yourself into the pool and it's amazing how quickly it revives you!

ctgirlscout
28-07-2005, 05:19
Generally, a villa is much more economical than a hotel room. You get lots more space, more privacy, and it's just more like home. You don't have to eat out for every meal (with little kids, McDonald's gets a bit tiring!) There are also a lot of nice amenities that come with a villa that you won't usually find in a hotel. You certainly won't have a private pool, and little things like DVD players and refrigerators can be hard to come by. In a villa, you get a washer and dryer, not so in a hotel. In a villa, you have multiple bathrooms, in a hotel--just one. I could go on and on, but you get the point. When I travel with my family (4 kids), we have to have a minimum of two adjoining hotel rooms if not a suite. This almost always costs me close to $200 per night for just two rooms with two bathrooms! If I'm lucky, I can sometimes find a suite for about $150. As you can see, to rent a large home like you are looking for, it will be much more economical than going with multiple hotel rooms.

Twiglet
28-07-2005, 05:47
I definately want a villa for myself, and I think my sisters will too when they weigh up the pros and cons. Its great to get some feedback. It helps me with my short lists later!

Thanks guys!

Ruth
28-07-2005, 07:35
We stayed in The Grand Floridian for one night last year when our villa was booked. Even though we were at the parks all day I hated all 5 of us in one hotel room. We were so short of space, one bedroom, one bathroom, one TV and no internet access. I vowed never again as it was very expensive and we all much preferred a villa.

28-07-2005, 10:16
I am not a villa owner so I am not bias but I have to say, having stayed in hotels aound the world with my job and on holiday, a villa is Florida is like a true holiday, why stay in 1 room in a hotel when for the same price or less you can stay in a home with many bedrooms, your own pool, TV's, playstations this list goes on, plus with children I would not ever consider a hotel again, there is just no logic to it, no choice in my view, a luxury villa every time[msnwink]

Just a point about being at the parks ever day, in reality you won't be because its too tiring you will need rest days in between and a villa is just perfect[msnsmile2]

P.S With a villa you also have washer and dryer so don't need as many clothes and go gome with a case full of clean clothes too.

As for prices comparisons in my view a villa works out cheaper[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
28-07-2005, 11:03
A villa is so much more relaxing than a hotel! I hate the inconsideration of other people in hotels, shouting and doors banging at all hours. Having to find a seat/lounger by the pool etc etc. There is no comparision between a villa and hotel room, especially on your rest days you can chill out by the pool, grab a sandwich when you want, you don't have to cook, take-aways are always and a lot of places deliver to the villas and ost of al privacy if you want to chill out away from the rest of the family for a wee while!

heathercobbett
28-07-2005, 11:49
All I can say is that I have not met ANYBODY that has stayed in a house and gone back to a hotel.I think that says it all

On the odd occasion when we have stayed the odd night in a hotel,I am always disappointed.When I speak to people on the plane over,even couples are renting a small house.The last flight we took,everybody we spoke to was in a house or apartment

LiesaAnna
28-07-2005, 11:59
just the thought of staying in a hotel puts me off!
i am a big girl therefore not keen on showing myself off in the pool so the thing we looked at and loved was our "own" heated pool!! its gorgeous lying there looking up at the stars around 10.30pm, (cant do that in a hotel pool) and it was December our last 2 visits, my kids are aslo fussy where foods concerned and last time we bought them pizzas (about all they eat) and fries from walmart and they have them when they want to! they also choose to snack out with us, i cant think of one good reason as to why i would even consider a hotel and i am still relatively new to this villa hoilday style thing in florida, make yourselves a list and tick off all the yes's and all the no's as to why you should stay in a hotel or why you should stay in a villa i guarentee the list for a villa stay would far outway the hotels (yes's)
i feel so excited for you Theresa all this big planning i can see why you so want to get it right!!

all of us will help you in anyway we can!! [clap][clap][clap]

Sally D
28-07-2005, 12:04
I am not a villa owner but we stay in a villa every time.

With 3 children it is the space, not all on top of each other. After a long day at the parks everyone is very tired and thats when the bickering between my girls would start, but when we get back to the villa they all disappear into their own rooms. No fights over the TV either.

Having more than one bathroom is another thing.

Although we eat out most of the time, the option is there if we won't to eat in. Also I always fill the freezer/fridge with ice cream, drinks etc. Much cheaper than having to buy them all the time from a bar while by the pool.

Having a washer and dryer is great, no need to take loads of clothes to last the time, leaves more room for all that shopping. We never come home with piles of washing either.

There is nothing like getting up in the morning and sitting by your own pool without having to search for a sunbed.

Yes a villa everytime for us[msnsmile2]

heathercobbett
28-07-2005, 12:22
Another thing is how nice it is for the children to have their own pool.Small children can feel a bit intimidated in a hotel pool with all the splashing and bombing and villa pools are warmer
I have had countless guests tell me that their little on has learned to swim in our pool.(and as Liesa says,some of the bigger people feel less self conscious too)

steph_goodrum
28-07-2005, 13:06
It's not just the little ones. I have a guest who was really proud of managing to swim a width in oour pool, something she had never done before and she was 67.

Coming from Australia, the jet lag is probably going to affect you all for a while I would think as well so you may find a few days are needed before the children fully adjust to the time zone and just think what it's going to be like if they need an afternoon sleep so you either all have to go back to the hotel and sit and whisper in one room or someone goes off to babysit them and misses out on the fun.

You'll often find the villas have community facilities such as tennis , basketball etc which are more fun for the older children and are usually so close to most of the villas that you have no worries about them going off in a group to use them.

At the end of the day though if saving a few dollars is more important to your sisters then there are plenty of hotels near the villa communities where they can choose to stay nearby you. Let them make their own decision.
Although the last itme we stayed in an hotel in New York it certainly wasn't any cheaper especially with things like internet access at $7 an hour and Playstation at $10 an hour if we'd used them it would have cost us a fortune.
I wouldnt compromise on your own holiday though, as you;ll almost certainly spend the whole time wishing you hadn't.

I bet if they do it that way though the first time they come to see your villa they would instantly regret their choice.

janny
28-07-2005, 13:41
The space and freedom a home gives you over a hotel room is paramount to me -we stayed in a hotel last year in Miami for 5 days after we had visited the Keys and it was cramped -with no storage space- not enough linens and we had to keep asking for more- a real pain.The other guests never seem to be as considerate as they should be so sleep is hard and I hate the thought that when I am having a lie-in in the mornings the maid will be knocking on the door wanting to come in as I've fogotten to put the DND notice up.

Relaxing by your own pool just outside your back door instead of having to trek to get to it and then not finding a sunbed -is unbeatable

LiesaAnna
28-07-2005, 13:57
ohhhhh am getting so excited when reading all this!!!! am imaging myself lying by the pool, shopping ooooooooooooooooooooooo roll on september!!!!:D

Twiglet
28-07-2005, 13:58
Steph that's a great point about them maybe having a hotel near our villa. That would work for both of them.

I am sure once they come to the forums and read thru they will be convinced a villa is a great choice for our type of get together!

blott
28-07-2005, 15:46
I bet if they do have a hotel near your villa Twiglet, you'll never get rid of them and they'll be around your place all the time! :)

LiesaAnna
28-07-2005, 18:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
I bet if they do have a hotel near your villa Twiglet, you'll never get rid of them and they'll be around your place all the time! :)
[/quote]

and is this what you want???????????????????[msnwink]

steph_goodrum
28-07-2005, 19:40
"and is this what you want???????????????????"

I must admit family or not it certainly wouldn't be what I'd want if they were trying to save a few bucks and I ended up subsidising their holiday by being the one to provide all the refreshments and snacks when they came to visit.:D:D

Lynnes
28-07-2005, 20:08
There realy is no comparison, try comparing a beefburger to a steak.
Lots of room
own pool
Luxury surroundings
everything you could possibly need

against
cramped room
shared pool
so so surroundings
maybe if you are lucky tea and coffee facilities.

LiesaAnna
28-07-2005, 20:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
"and is this what you want???????????????????"

I must admit family or not it certainly wouldn't be what I'd want if they were trying to save a few bucks and I ended up subsidising their holiday by being the one to provide all the refreshments and snacks when they came to visit.:D:D
[/quote]

yes i think i would be pretty cheesed off if i paid for the villa and everyone else came around to the villa whenever we had free time and used all our facilities, cos i dont think you would be using theirs!!!
its all little things like this that you need to take into consideration!! its not so bad if you have villas side by side or on the same community because you can then share the villas and facilities, one evening yours and one evening theres, and so on!!

good job youre in no rush to get it all booked!!!

Ray&Sarah
28-07-2005, 20:55
We have done both, stayed in hotels may times and stayed in someone elses vill and then our own, there really is no comparison, for us it has to be a villa everytime. Just can't bear to stay in a cramped hotel room with two growing lads, who fight over every inch of the double bed they end up sharing.[msnoo][msnsmile]

orlandodaze
28-07-2005, 21:37
We started off staying in the Enclave Suites and in Beach Cotteges down innear Clearwater . The next time we stayed in Swee[bad language filtered out]er resort , both holidays were terrific , but in 2003 we stayed for the first time in a villa and there is no comparison .From the minute we walked in the door it was fantastic ,I remember Madeleine then 7 just threw off her clothes tore open the cases got her swimming togs and headed straight for the pool ,where she spent a great deal of time during the next three weeks .Travelling with a family ranging from early 20s to a 9 year old we need lots of place to give each other space. I love early morning and late evening in the pool so does my husband you cant get that in a hotel , the washer and dryer is invaluable to a big family ,very expensive in a hotel , the choice of being able to eat in or out , not possible in a hotel. This year in 21 days we only ate out 8 times [not counting all those snacks while shopping] Also there is the question of storing all that shopping we do not possible in a hotel . We all love the multible tvs , it cuts out rows ,the dvds the playstation and of course the computer always not possible in a hotel. Already we are planning our Florida fix for 2006 picking the villa is a very important and exciting part of the holiday . Its now got to the stage that friends ask me for advise on acomodation in Florida , its always a pleasure to recommend Orlando Villas and also the car hire the best value you can get. Keep up the good work folks here is one family who really appreciate you.

orlandodaze
28-07-2005, 21:44
I will try this again every time we mention the Sweet Water resort it says bad language filtered out I dont understand why? Its only the name of a very holiday resort just off the 192 . The same thing happened to Madeleine a few days ago in the kids section , she was quite offended in case people thought she used bad language .

janny
28-07-2005, 21:50
Olive if you take the T from sweet and the beginning of water you may get an idea of why it was filtered out [msnwink]

orlandodaze
28-07-2005, 22:05
Thanks for that Jan , that solves that.

alanandjude
29-07-2005, 01:26
Hi,

We've stayed in 6 hotels in Florida and 3 villas, including our own!

I can honestly say every villa was superb and the quality of accommodation was excellent.

That said, we would always choose a villa since trying it out for the first time, without any doubt.

The biggest single reason is having lots of space to yourselves to chill out in after the long days at the parks, and the long days under each other's feet.

Why cram yourselves into the same room as the kids and be stuck there when they go to sleep, when you can send them off to play on the PS2 whilst you chill with a beer from your own fridge and have some peaceful adult time?

You eat when you're hungry, not when everyone else is. You can fall out of bed into your own heated pool for a really refreshing swim first thing in the morning. Great way to set yourself up for the day ahead and build up an appetite for those big breakfasts! Then you can unwind in your own jacuzzi and let the jets massage those throbbing feet.

There's something you just can't put your finger on that makes it feel special. I think when you have a wonderful top class villa all to yourselves, it feels a little decadent. Like you've really splashed out on something exclusive, even though the value is unbeatable.

it's an adventure from when you pull onto the drive.

Guess the only real way to compare is to "dip your toe in the water"!

Good luck

Twiglet
29-07-2005, 03:22
LMAO about sweet water, my brain is a bit slow this morning, thanks for the explanation on that one [msnwink]

I'm fairly sure the families will get villas with us, I think when they visit the forums and compare the villas back to the hotels in their brochures, they will get the bigger picture! Having done the theme parks in Queensland here in OZ, I know how exhausting each day is, and its also nice to have a day off to reflect on the day before, or they all start to blur into each other!

There's some great points in the posts, and I was thinking that our kids will be aged between 3 and 18 when we go, so some may want a day off, whilst others don't, so we will have heaps of space to chill out in, on the off days! Plus is a child is sick or under the weather, you aren't stuck in a hotel room looking after them, you can put them to bed and have a dip in the pool too! (obviously checking up on them every once in a while...ha ha ha)

alanandjude
29-07-2005, 03:28
Yeah, you have to check on them once in a while - or bring Grandma with you !!!

[}:)]

heathercobbett
29-07-2005, 12:23
Twiglet, lots of homes have toys ,books,games,playstations and even gamesrooms.That would be a great boon for children the age yours are.(The parents can chill out)

We were present at our house when some guests checked in.The children were running from room to room screaming (now you don't get that reaction in a hotel)

LiesaAnna
29-07-2005, 12:58
see another thing to think of as you will have many different age groups of kids there, a games room or a resort with games rooms and play areas!!

steph_goodrum
29-07-2005, 13:23
My last guests told me they had wasted a fortune on park tickets because they were having to drag the children out from the villa every day, they were much more content to stay around and play in the pool and with all the toys and games room etc. He said if they hadn't gone out none of them would have been too bothered.

orlandodaze
29-07-2005, 14:08
Since we began going to villas we dont really do the parks that much this year we only went to Magic Kingdom,and we went for a day trip to Cocoa Beach ,very convienent to orlando , my husband and I wanted to visit St. Augustine but the gang didnt want to leave the villa for a night they loved it so much, and Madeleine was in heaven because as well as having her own room she had a well equipped playroom all to herself. We would never go back to hotels anyway we just couldnt afford their prices. Friends often ask how we manage to do 3 weeks in usa every year, I tell them its the best value holiday , Ok I do spend ages checking out cheap flights , a villa to suit our needs , and you save money on those wonderful clothes bargains ,in the outlets ,and there is nothing nicer than a juicy Kissimmee steak a nice fresh salad and a glass of wine beside the pool.We now tend to save our money and have a few special meals out like our now annual Sunday Brunch at the Peabody with the ducks.

29-07-2005, 16:28
My children are aged from 3 to 21 and the villa is great for all ages, we have been going a long time and only tend to do one or two days out of 21-28 at the parks, they just love being in the pool!!!

LiesaAnna
29-07-2005, 21:10
same here julie but we do 14 days and i and the rest spend more time in the pool not that keen on theme parks but have done some cos its what you do when in florida!:D

i know i just cannot wait till we get there in 61 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![clap][clap]

villas rock!!

29-07-2005, 22:23
Well you will be there before me Liesa[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
30-07-2005, 01:30
yes and what am i supposed to do next year?? i cant afford to "keep" doing florida!![msncry][msncry][msncry]
only agreed again this year cos it was our silver wedding anniversary!!, it takes so much time and effort and the biggest is the expense!!! but i know as do we all its the best bucks we ever spend!!![beer][beer][beer][beer][beer]

orlandodaze
30-07-2005, 23:11
Yes I agree completely with you Liesa Anna, We too cannot afford to "keep doing Florida ". Its become a bit of an addiction with us and we are no sooner home from one trip until we begin to plan the next trip . I live in hope of winning the lottery , well the 120 million eurolotto has just being won by a limerick lady , now if I had won that Id have taken all my forum friends to Florida and we would have had a great big hooley . On the plus side we all enjoy the holiday the kids take on jobs to supplement their share , and it is the best value holiday you can get , we save a fortune buying clothes in places like Ross and old navy. On the negative its sheer hard work saving for the holiday every year ,and the house gets neglected because we should really spend some of our annual leave doing some badly needed d.i.y. At the end of the day life is too short to be sensible(all the time) , AND WE ALL COULD BE DOING A LOT WORSE.

LiesaAnna
30-07-2005, 23:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
Yes I agree completely with you Liesa Anna, We too cannot afford to "keep doing Florida ". Its become a bit of an addiction with us and we are no sooner home from one trip until we begin to plan the next trip . I live in hope of winning the lottery , well the 120 million eurolotto has just being won by a limerick lady , now if I had won that Id have taken all my forum friends to Florida and we would have had a great big hooley . On the plus side we all enjoy the holiday the kids take on jobs to supplement their share , and it is the best value holiday you can get , we save a fortune buying clothes in places like Ross and old navy. On the negative its sheer hard work saving for the holiday every year ,and the house gets neglected because we should really spend some of our annual leave doing some badly needed d.i.y. At the end of the day life is too short to be sensible(all the time) , AND WE ALL COULD BE DOING A LOT WORSE. [clap][clap][clap]
[/quote]

well said Olive!!!
we too have put the household chores on hold for our hols!!

was gonna do the silver wedding trip just us two but felt we would get far more enjoyment if we went to florida with our kids! (well some of them)
but i get this feeling already that i will need to go again next year for our silver wedding + 1
what you think????[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
31-07-2005, 01:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
Yes I agree completely with you Liesa Anna, We too cannot afford to "keep doing Florida ". Its become a bit of an addiction with us and we are no sooner home from one trip until we begin to plan the next trip . I live in hope of winning the lottery , well the 120 million eurolotto has just being won by a limerick lady , now if I had won that Id have taken all my forum friends to Florida and we would have had a great big hooley . On the plus side we all enjoy the holiday the kids take on jobs to supplement their share , and it is the best value holiday you can get , we save a fortune buying clothes in places like Ross and old navy. On the negative its sheer hard work saving for the holiday every year ,and the house gets neglected because we should really spend some of our annual leave doing some badly needed d.i.y. At the end of the day life is too short to be sensible(all the time) , AND WE ALL COULD BE DOING A LOT WORSE. [clap][clap][clap]
[/quote]

well said Olive!!!
we too have put the household chores on hold for our hols!!

was gonna do the silver wedding trip just us two but felt we would get far more enjoyment if we went to florida with our kids! (well some of them)
but i get this feeling already that i will need to go again next year for our silver wedding + 1
what you think????[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]
[/quote]

Definately Liesa, like a reunion![msnwink]:D

orlandodaze
31-07-2005, 01:38
Every year we celebrate our wedding anniversary in florida as well as my birthday and sons birthday , three years ago we had our silver wedding anniversary and of course 3 of the kids tagged along ( the doctor forgot to cut the cord at birth with my lot) anyway we celebrated in Sarasota in tommy Bahamas a great night and having the kids there made it extra special. Florida is a great place to celebrate special occasions .[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

chrisflowers
31-07-2005, 10:49
We always spend my Birthday and then Thanksgiving in Florida, before flying to chicago for a conference every year. Makes for at least one thing positive to look forward to for the whole year!!

steph_goodrum
31-07-2005, 12:36
"and the house gets neglected because we should really spend some of our annual leave doing some badly needed d.i.y. At the end of the day life is too short to be sensible(all the time) ,"

It's even worse owning the place over there. Our windows and drive at the front of the house here have been put on hold for the last 5 years with intentions that "next summer" they'll get done/ Trouble is with Mick being a chippy and general builder, he also does as much of the repair work on holiday as possible (he trusts his own handiwork more) so as he works so hard here year round I don't think it fair to keep on at him to get the rest done here. If we had HOAs in England we'd have no doubt started getting letters by now.:)

At least with our daughter at Uni we've started having a few days earlier int he year when we go for a working holiday and can get cheaper flights so it's not so bad and hopefully wont take so much out of our family time.

Twiglet
31-07-2005, 16:35
120 million euro lottery! OMG that's unbelievable....the biggest lottery in oz is A$12 Million, and that's about 4 million pounds....I guess there's not enough people living in Oz. A limerick lady eh, I will have to get my family in Mayo to start getting tickets!

LiesaAnna
31-07-2005, 16:47
wish it was me:( how many villas in florida could i buy for that???????????????

qunlu
06-08-2005, 00:56
We usually stay in hotel until we find villa is option for us. (sorry, most of America do not know villa is option for their holiday.) I like villa, you have your own privacy, quite at night, you do not need worry someone nextdoor taking shower mid of night or someone speak loud in the hall way.

Paula D-S
08-08-2005, 10:16
We are new owners this year, before then we have always rented a villa. I don't feel there is any competition. It's great that you have the pool to relax in after a busy day, you find the children sleep very well after a visit to the parks, even after a day at the pool. When we go to Europe i.e, Spain and Greece we have to go to bed early every night because the children are so tired.

Paula

DisneyDreamer
21-08-2005, 20:42
This has made me chuckle, we bought our house 3 years ago, it needed (needs!!!) alot of modernisation and we agreed to not do our usual holidays until it was sorted. Needless to say we have managed to visit the parents in Spain 2 or 3 times a year and also fit in the essential Florida break or two......since Hubby insists on doing the DIY unfortunately this means I am still living in a half decorated house....I am getting used to the unusual 60's decor now though!!!!

Back to the questions villa v hotel....no contest, villa everytime, for a large group like you are talking about I would think not everyone will want to do the same things. Your own home means some of you can chill by the pool whilst others hit the parks. I would think for a large group you wouldnt find anything more cost effective than hiring a villa...stock up the fridge with food and drink and you save the expense eating out all the time too. I could go on but I think the other responses here really cover it. [8D]