PDA

View Full Version : Villa Privacy

Twiglet
25-07-2005, 04:55
In my quest to find two houses for our big reunion, I notice that a lot of villa's are very near each other, and that when you view the pool photos you can actually see the pools next door as well!

I find that really weird, are properties not allowed to be fenced in Florida? It seems to be very open planned, and my hubby was a bit concerned about lack of privacy.

I guess I would have to do another search requesting properties with privacy? I suppose not everybody is home at the same time, but I find it odd that gardens are so exposed!

chrizzy100
25-07-2005, 05:20
Americans...who were the biggest buyers of homes in the USA ....don't have the same problem with privacy like the Brits.......they sit in their garages and have BBQs.....they have wrap around decks.....and sit in the front garden to catch the sun......having a fence put up can be a pain....so a lot of people just don't do it......

dcnurse
25-07-2005, 05:23
Nine out of ten communities are open plan. As you say people are not always at home at the same time, especially as there is so much to see in the Orlando area!

Our home is situated on a corner plot so we do have a little more privacy with only one neighbour. We have owned our home for over 5 years and have only seen someone in the house once in all this time!

Twiglet
25-07-2005, 05:53
Interesting isn't it!

I know when I lived in UK, most houses were double storey/semi-detached properties, so you can see over each others houses anyway. I grew up chatting to my neighbours over the fence, it was lovely.

Moving to Australia where space is more available, most houses are single storey and fenced in, its a revelation to see such open planning!

chrizzy100
25-07-2005, 06:03
I like to people watch.....so having new neighbours each visit is fun.....and if they are troublesome well in 14 days they are gone......:D:D

We have bets to see if they are American or English......when the Tesco bags come out by the pool....you know they are Brits.....:D:D

Some of the bugs can keep you awake at night more than the neighbours.....I can't sleep at my friends house because the bugs sound like a car alarm going off 24/7......

bellaepovera
25-07-2005, 06:47
I think in Florida because of the screened in pool they do not feel it necessary to have fences also around, plus alot of communities are very picky on what kind of fence is also to be put up. I grew up in Chicago and most homes have the privacy fence. So must be a Florida thing with no fence.

ctgirlscout
25-07-2005, 07:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Americans...who were the biggest buyers of homes in the USA ....don't have the same problem with privacy like the Brits.......they sit in their garages and have BBQs.....they have wrap around decks.....and sit in the front garden to catch the sun......having a fence put up can be a pain....so a lot of people just don't do it......
[/quote]

I don't know about Mass., but nobody here suns themselves in the front yard! Nor do they BBQ out front.

I think that most of the homes in short-term rental areas have homeowner associations that restrict fence building. You might be fortunate to find a home that is totally secluded, but that is going to be rare. A lot of houses will back to conservation or water, but usually you will see the neighboring homes. The times I have been at our house, we seldom see anyone in the neighboring pools, so it's never been an issue.

chrizzy100
25-07-2005, 07:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout
[/quote]

I don't know about Mass., but nobody here suns themselves in the front yard! Nor do they BBQ out front.

I think that most of the homes in short-term rental areas have homeowner associations that restrict fence building. You might be fortunate to find a home that is totally secluded, but that is going to be rare. A lot of houses will back to conservation or water, but usually you will see the neighboring homes. The times I have been at our house, we seldom see anyone in the neighboring pools, so it's never been an issue.
[/quote]

I know sitting on the front porch sunning yourself is not that uncommon in lot of place....I remember talking about it in an ex-pat group a few months ago.......English people finding it odd that people would sit out front.......I asked my neighbour once why they sit in the garage and had their BBQ....they told me it was to watch the world go by.....and that back where they live people just do that to invite the neighbours in for a hot dog.....[msnsmile2]

25-07-2005, 09:38
I like my privacy and always manage to get a villa which opens on to a lake or open land that has either space or fences or shrubbery down the sides of the villa[msnwink]

pieman790
25-07-2005, 10:07
We bought May 2004 and thought about having a fence put up around the pool but we were advised against it, firstly as it would cost $2000-3000 and secondly, most Americans prefer open plan. It also blocks light out.
Still not fully converted that this is the best idea and may put a fence up in time.

kokomo
25-07-2005, 11:39
We would'nt want to have a fence around our pool, it would just like being at home, but without the pool. We would rather look at the golf course view.

Shirley G
25-07-2005, 12:05
In our community fencing is not allowed. Ours is residential too so a lot of people are out working. I like to people watch anyway, but as the others have said most people are out all day at the parks.

Zebedee
25-07-2005, 12:15
We put up a fence around our pool when we bought as we didn't want to be in a goldfish bowl so to speak.
I like to get up in the morning and enjoy breakfast in the morning sunshine in my nightware (Lazy I know but its my holiday). However it is harder for owners to errect fencing once the Home Owerns association has taken over from the builders. Having to ask permission and wait for their reply and then find someone to do the job is a nightmare. It does come down to personal choice. I am sure I have lost bookings because of the fence but I know that I have also gained them because people want to be private (Both Brits and Americans!)

Carry on searching for that Villa with a fence I am sure you will find plenty to chose from.

LiesaAnna
25-07-2005, 12:24
when your in or around the pool, there is the lower half of the screen over the whole pool area its thicker on the lower half so you dont actually see anyone in their pools when in the water, also the villas dont seem to me to be as close as shown in some pictures, we thought it was nice that they werent so close to each other

steph_goodrum
25-07-2005, 12:44
We put privacy fencing ground the lower half of our pool as opposed to fence in the whole garden as we actually like to be able to speak to our neighbours and watch the world go by.

I'm sure there are some people who would prefer to be completely isolated but when you think how much privacy you would get if you were staying in an hotel and using a communal pool, no matter how close the neighbours on the development there's still no comparison.

I too can usually be found by the pool in my nightwear at around 5.30/6 am waiting for the rest of the family to get up, you certainly would get strange loooks if you tried that in an hotel.
:D:D

Ray&Sarah
25-07-2005, 13:51
We toyed with the ides of putting up a fence or planing some shrubs to give more privacy but on the many occasions we have stayed in our villa it has never been an issue so we haen't bothered. We usually take my parents along with us and my mum is a great "people watcher" so we don't want to spoil her fun.[msnwink][msnsmile2]

abbeyvillas
25-07-2005, 15:40
It's usually the covenants set up by the Homeowners Associations that restricts the building of fences. We are lucky as being the end house on the road, we have a walled garden and like most properties on The Abbey, we are not overlooked from the rear.

We also planted some Azalea bushes which look nice when they are in flower and also provide us with privacy from the neighbours.[msncool]

stuart
25-07-2005, 16:39
We chose our villa specifically because it doesn't have any villas backing onto it. We didn't want to be overlooked. Although we have villas either side, we have planted viburnum bushes along each side of the pool screen which provide natural screening. We love it[msnsmile2]

chrisflowers
25-07-2005, 18:09
We have made our pool area private by using a couple of fence panels on either side and surrounded by planting.
This way our guests can look out over the lake without having to worry about neighbours seeing them in their cossies!

SG
25-07-2005, 19:39
We are not allowed fencing on our development but have planted shrubs around all three sides of the pool screen to provide privacy. They also provide lots of colour and scent too :)

steph_goodrum
25-07-2005, 19:54
Twiglet
I would concentrate more on the facilities within the villa and development than what you will not even see as soon as it gets dark anyway. Especially as you have mentioned a large number of you are travelling together.
You could miss out on some wonderful places to stay if you make it a strict criteria that you can't see other houses (as most new developments that have been built for short term rental will have some other houses in view somewhere, bu talso have other factors which could make them more suitable for your stay.

Badger
25-07-2005, 20:18
Got to admit that when we hire a villa we always enquire as to the situation with neighbours. Usually rent in Manasota key and the houses there are pretty well spread out. I hate having to watch other people and their activities, especially when they are on holiday and tend to be noisy. I much prefer privacy. Having said that I don't like bare wood fence panels but the same effect can be achieved with sensible planting.

Jo
25-07-2005, 21:23
We like our privacy - we chose our villa on a corner plot - we can't see anyone elses pool screen from our pooldeck - and more to the point , they can't see us.

Each to their own.

There are plenty of villas around with privacy - you just have to ask.

If you are putting a general enquiry out for a villa on one of the 3 sites above,, mention it in the requirements box, and you will have plenty to choose from - but make sure you book well in advance - they get snapped up quickly.

chrizzy100
25-07-2005, 21:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
We toyed with the ides of putting up a fence or planing some shrubs to give more privacy but on the many occasions we have stayed in our villa it has never been an issue so we haen't bothered. We usually take my parents along with us and my mum is a great "people watcher" so we don't want to spoil her fun.[msnwink][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that people watches......for a holiday...I like peace and quiet.....but for full time living......I like to see and hear my neighbours......

Ray&Sarah
25-07-2005, 21:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that people watches......for a holiday...I like peace and quiet.....but for full time living......I like to see and hear my neighbours......
[/quote]

Can't spoil my mums view what would she do then, bless![msnwink][msnsmile2]

daxon
25-07-2005, 23:28
As ever, a case of each to his own. After travelling to Florida 5 years on a trot, when we bought our villas my mum was most insistent that she wanted one where she could 'see something going on'! Now she loves nothing better than sitting on the pool deck watching out for the golfers zooming past on their buggies & she thinks the beverage cart serving them cool beers is hysterical!!

orlandodaze
28-07-2005, 22:02
Out of consideration for other holiday makers I think its a good idea if we are isolated the sight of me in my swimsuit is not exactly a pretty one and could put children completely off their food, on a more serious note we like to have an early morning swim and a late night swim when we return from the parks , I am always aware of people next door being disturbed . Anyway I like my privacy on holiday perhaps if I were size 8 , bronzed and beautiful I might think differently.

alanandjude
29-07-2005, 03:00
Our HOA doesn't approve of fencing, but planting seems to be OK. We're going to plant around our pool screen to make it more private, but we're in the [edited out]hest corner of our resort anyway, so it's already really secluded.

The screens do give you a good feeling of privacy anyway.

MarkJan
04-02-2006, 14:03
Quite agree Steph.

TonyBlenk
04-02-2006, 18:12
If the location and privacy is important to you there's no problem with sharing your wish list on your enquiry.
Good luck with your search for the perfect vacation villa.

wrpac00
04-02-2006, 18:28
We like meeting people and it was one of the main reasons for picking the place where we are. We love going down one of the pools, both to meet old friends and like last year make another half a dozen.

michellemaxted
04-02-2006, 20:58
We have planted shrubs around our pool area, to provide privacy, fencing would have blocked out light. Plus I like to see what is going on![msnwink]

chrizzy100
04-02-2006, 22:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by michellemaxted
We have planted shrubs around our pool area, to provide privacy, fencing would have blocked out light. Plus I like to see what is going on![msnwink]
[/quote]

You sound like me...I'm try to work out a way to get my hot tub into the garden without a fence...I think we'll add a FL room...so I can leave the rest of the garden open...I would miss chatting to my back neighbours...

berni_richards
05-02-2006, 11:31
we have planted bushes around our pool and now it is even more private as one negihbour had already planted and my other neighbour now wants to put plants around hers too so I think personally plants are better than fences but each to there own.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Berni

Jill
05-02-2006, 11:56
As we back on to a golf course we did not want to have too many plants round our pool to block our view so we have compromised and have a few plants and Florida glass round the bottom section of the pool screen so we cannot be seen from the outside if we are in the pool.

kezza5222
10-02-2006, 04:07
so i guess you have to be very up front if you want to go skinni dipping! with all the neighbours looking on!

blott
10-02-2006, 05:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kezza5222
so i guess you have to be very up front if you want to go skinni dipping! with all the neighbours looking on![/quote]Skinny dipping and going topless is an offence in Florida. Your neighbours would probably call the Sheriff.

kezza5222
10-02-2006, 05:41
wow! didnt know that! im not partial to it myself, a bit to chilly for my liking! and i imagine all my wobbly bits on show would cause a small eclipse of the sun! the topless bit makes sense to me cos of all the kiddies about in the waterparks and by the pools but to extend it to private villas surprises me!

blott
10-02-2006, 06:08
Florida has strict public dressing decency laws although there are a few beaches where you can go topless or even nude and also nudist colonies. The ****** laws relate to everyone, including small children.

chrizzy100
10-02-2006, 17:11
You can even be done if someone sees you partly undressed inside your home.....

Macka
10-02-2006, 17:20
[:O]
I'm nearly always topless.

SunLover
10-02-2006, 17:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
[:O]
[/quote]

Me too :)

julieanne
10-02-2006, 17:57
[:O] [:O] [:O]

You are naughty Paul [msnwink] [msnwink]

Karen
10-02-2006, 18:38
Our pool area at our villa is so private I have even had guest parents who stayed and do not normally sunbath, so did not have swim wear, but they sun bathed in their under wear [:O]

blott
10-02-2006, 18:55
Only needs the pool person or gardener or one of the neighbours to turn up Karen...

Cruella DeVilla
10-02-2006, 20:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Karen
Our pool area at our villa is so private I have even had guest parents who stayed and do not normally sunbath, so did not have swim wear, but they sun bathed in their under wear [:O]
[/quote]

Oh my!

chrizzy100
10-02-2006, 20:32
My friends house is out by the airport in its own grounds with no-one around...cops knocked on her door because she was reported....the reporter........the eye in the sky...the traffic chopper.....[msneek]

Fourdents
10-02-2006, 20:46

Macka

-----------------------------

GOOD GRACIOUS MACKA.....
You got no head??????
or have you just lost it?

[msntongue][msntongue][msntongue][msntongue][msntongue]

Macka
10-02-2006, 21:51
I must need a check up from the neck up Lin.[msnwink]

mr flibble
21-10-2006, 16:03
<span style="color:blue">I think this is more of a question for the Owners' area so perhaps you'd like to repost it there?</span id="blue">

ellie
21-10-2006, 20:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mr flibble
<span style="color:blue">I think this is more of a question for the Owners' area so perhaps you'd like to repost it there?</span id="blue">
[/quote]

You have to be an owner to post in the owner's area....[msnwink]

steph_goodrum
21-10-2006, 21:42
Another thing to consider though is no matter what the view from the pool, you still get a lot more privacy (and no towels saving loungers) than you will ever get in an hotel.

blott
21-10-2006, 22:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
[/quote]

[/quote]I think you'll find that Ian (Mr Flibble) is an owner. It was a message from me to him... [msnwink]

Solana
23-10-2006, 19:34
This is causing us some consideration at present, it seems to be more a Brit thing that they like 'privacy' but what about hotel pools where there are hundreds of people.
We have settled for Florida glass and am about to start digghing to put in those plants,
I also like to see what is going on and who is passing!!

ellie
23-10-2006, 23:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
[/quote]

[/quote]I think you'll find that Ian (Mr Flibble) is an owner. It was a message from me to him... [msnwink]
[/quote]

Oh Blott, now how was I supposed to know it was you and not Mr Fibble![msnscared] I thought he was suggesting that the original writer of this thread should post in the owner's area. Doh......

Sorry.[msnembarrased]

mfairhurst
24-10-2006, 00:24
We have got a fence and our next door neighbour has one as well given us both a little privacy we had to get a permit so all legal and they said certain size so good for all .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Pat M
24-10-2006, 03:02
we have a villa with neighbours either side and at the back so we planted a hedge to grow around the outide of our screen its been in around 18months now and we keep it to a height of approx 4-5 ft and it gives enough privacy for sunbathing and swimming without feeling too closed in, works perfectly for us

mfairhurst
26-10-2006, 23:44
PAT what kind of besh have you got round the outside of your florida room and has it got flowers on .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Tessa Childs
28-10-2006, 21:17
We don't have fences on our community either, but as the developer is Irish and therefore likes privacy a bit more, we have orange trees between the houses if they are close to each other.