PDA

View Full Version : need advice on who to fly with to sanford

fj2k
25-07-2005, 01:32
Hi all

first of all this is my first post, very impressed with what ive seen of this forum [msnsmile]

my question is this, 18 months ago we went to orlando with travel city direct for 2 weeks, we flew on one of there jumbos and before we went we paid an extra £40 for double baggage allowing us for to bring back 40 kilos per person, now believe it or not we brought back about 37 kilos each.

this year we want to go for 3 weeks, the problem i have is travel city only do 3 week breaks with other airlines and are very unhelpful in how i can get extra baggage.

who is the best airline who flies from Manchester to Sanford that we would be able to pre pay for extra luggage allowance before we go?

thanks in advance

fj

george
25-07-2005, 01:33
Why do you want to use Sanford?

fj2k
25-07-2005, 01:38
used it last time and found it very easy to get out of and in to orlando, going with family who prefer to use it although would consider anywhere i could get more baggage allowance

Jill
25-07-2005, 01:44
Sometimes you can get very good offers on scheduled flights which we prefer to charter flights and we have a much better baggage allowance. You could try the link for the flights at the top of this page and they can help you find what you are looking for. Virgin fly from Manchester direct to Orlando International which will most likely mean you have a shorter drive to where you are staying. http://www.flightsflorida.com

fj2k
25-07-2005, 01:49
Hi

thanks for the reply, did have a look through but couldnt see much, most airlines seem to hide how much baggage you are allowed!!

just wondered if any of you guys who brought a lot of stuff back on a regular basis knew of a particular airline that was good for baggage to Orlando

erowlands
25-07-2005, 02:27
We use virgin more often than not as you are allowed two pieces weighing up to 32 kilos each,this is for both adults and children,even my wife is hard pressed to bring back to maximum we are allowed! Eric

owen3
25-07-2005, 02:51
when we have had holidays for over 2 weeks, our baggage allowance has always been double. barbara

DiannaUK
25-07-2005, 02:52
I think that you will find most charter flights (and charters only fly into Sanford I believe) will have the standard 20 kilo allowance, whereas scheduled are more generous.

We intend to use Virgin in future because of the generous allowance. I'm packing for Friday and flying charter (for the last time) and I have no idea how I'm going to get everything in under the allowance. I am possibly one of the few people who have actually used Virgin's full allowance. :D

Will just have to buy new when I'm out there I guess [msncry]

Dianna

MrEktion
25-07-2005, 03:47
I think most scheduled airlines to the USA use the piece system ie you get 2 pieces and the weight limit per piece is 32Kg so 64kg in total. Certainly BMI, VS and BA do.

With the charters I am sure most are 20Kg with increases to 30kg if you travel in a premium cabin like Premiair Gold with My Travel for example. TCD are the only ones who seem to offer a double up option for all passengers and I have chosen them in the past partly for this reason.

FJ2K, We were faced with the same choice from MAN as you had TCD for 2 weeks great, but what do we do for 3 weeks.

We have gone for Virgin, with a great deal and I think scheduled will be your only answer as the charters will definately not be an option with more than 20Kg baggage per person.

Hope this helps

Mr E.

25-07-2005, 09:44
I have to agree with Mr E and others your best bet from Manchester (Ii you want to go direct) would be Virgin with 32 kilos x 2, plus you get to go into Orlando International which is some 20 miles closer to Disney etc than Sanford[msnwink]

Badger
25-07-2005, 13:27
I would avoid Sanford like the plague, take a look at their reviews through Google. It took us over three hours to get through last June.
You would be much better flying into Orlando International or Tampa. You may also get a problem with charter flights and a three week window. I would prefer to fly via Gatwick with BA and a good weight allowance, having said that, if you want to fly to Sanford try Monarch with their premier class, 30 Kg allowance.

blott
25-07-2005, 16:37
You can get a 32kg x 2 suitcase allowance each with most scheduled airlines but you won't fly into Sanford, which in any case is further away from the Orlando area than Orlando International.

Very few charter airlines (which are the ones in the main that fly into Sanford) will have a three week option as most are limited to 14 or a max of 17 nights. Charter airlines also have to lowest baggage allowances.

Check out the link at the top of each forum page for scheduled flight prices.

ujpest doza
25-07-2005, 19:53
Mytravel/Airtours do a 21 night option into Sanford.

If you upgrade to Premiar Gold seating you get an increased luggage allowance of at least 25KG possibly 30KG max.

Must admit i used to prefer McCoy Airport particularly for the return flight due to better facilities eg restaurants etc, but now prefer Sanford due to how much quicker it is to get through immigration and baggage etc. The distance from the airport to the accomodation isn't that bad in terms of travel in Florida and only really takes about an hour down the Greeneway.

Madabouttigger
25-07-2005, 21:15
Hi fj and welcolme to the site.

I tend to agree with all my friends and say that Virgin offer a good service from manchester - direct to Orlando International with a very generous luggage allowance. You can also check in on line on the outbound flight and at Downtown Disney on the return flight. This then means you dont need to go to the airport until 1 hour before your flight. AND you can pre book your seats.

So it will be Virgin again for me next year - we had 3 large suitcases between the 2 of us and still got no where near the allowance - but had a job lifting the cases in and out of the car!!

Diane.

fj2k
26-07-2005, 00:42
just like to say a big thanks to everyone above

priced up a 3 week holiday with virgin for me,mrs, boys aged 12+9 and baby daughter, came out at £3146, cant get better than that and thats with a lot of baggage allowance

thank you [msnsmile2]

Madabouttigger
26-07-2005, 21:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fj2k
just like to say a big thanks to everyone above

priced up a 3 week holiday with virgin for me,mrs, boys aged 12+9 and baby daughter, came out at £3146, cant get better than that and thats with a lot of baggage allowance

thank you [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Now you just need lots of big bags.......[msntongue]