PDA

View Full Version : Go to EPCOT First

n/a
12-02-2002, 03:10
If this is going to be your first visit to WDW, and you have kids with you I highly recommend you spend a day in EPCOT first, the kids are more likely to accept it's educational bias if they have not been exposed to the likes of the Magic Kingdom first.
It's well worth at least a day of your holiday, but it will take 2 to do it full justice.

porky
12-02-2002, 04:42
The first time we went the children were 4 and 7 and we went to the Magic Kingdom first. After we'd 'done' Epcot we told them we'd go back and do one of the parks one last time before we went home but we'd let them choose. Much to my surprise they both said they liked Epcot a lot better than MK. They still think the same all these years later.

Aint kids funny!

Jacqui

orlandobabe
12-02-2002, 13:42
I agree!
We've rather 'gone off' Epcot at the moment as we feel you get so little value for money there compared to other parks, Universal included
Basically we feel that you are paying for the privilege to eat and shop!
It really annoys me that they are still showing the original film in China that we first saw 11 years ago!
Sorry-all you Epcot lovers!
What does everyone else think

Orlandobabe

MMFAN
12-02-2002, 16:52
EPCOT is rough on Disney because the hardest thing to do is keep a vision of the future up-to-date. They are spending money on it right now with more new attractions located near the 2 yr old "Test Track" attraction. The China movie is unchanging, but that's probably partly the decision of the Chinese government who sponsors the exhibit. All that said, I agree EPCOT is the most acquired taste of all the parks.

JenniferD
13-02-2002, 01:48
We are going over next week and plan to take our parents out for a meal in one of the pavilions at Epcot. Anyone got any recommendations on which one is the best?
Thanks!

Jen

greenhalgh
13-02-2002, 10:34
I would be interested to know if any Disney Annual passholders have had a chance to try out the new reserved viewing area for the reflections of earth display it is right on the water accross from Doge`s Palace in Italy according to Disneys news letter it is supposed to be one of the best places to watch the show we usually watch it from the U K while we eat our fish &chips

sue greenhalgh

ian
13-02-2002, 14:20
Jennifer, we like Morocco - take the boat ride round first and get used to the place. Then sitting in the restaurant with the volcano in the distance is really quite authentic.
OR for more expensive and classier try France where they have 2 levels of restaurant (1 we've managed to afford and 1 where we've just looked!)

imported_n/a
13-02-2002, 14:23
We have been visiting Orlando for 15 years and always find something to do at Epcot. The Tapestry of Nations parade (I think it may have changed its name slightly) is lovely to watch - it's cancelled if its windy, you can understand why once you have seen the parade. The music is wonderful and the costumes tremendous. We tend to watch it from USA as that way we can see anything going on at the Band Stand area too. The kids did masks one year - ie you visit every country and there is a desk to do a piece of artwork on your mask or whatever they have that year - I think it could be passports this year. This kept our 4 and 8 yr old interested. My daughter also started collecting flags so this was a great place for her to add to her collection. I agree they could update it a little but it is still a lovely park - something for all ages and tastes. If you have back problems though, DO NOT try the Travelling through the Body ride (not sure of exact name - sorry!)

MMFAN
14-02-2002, 01:57
The "traveling through the body ride" is Body Wars in the Metropolitan Life pavillion. It is one of those motion simulator rides, and it is very rough. Teens would like it though.

imported_n/a
16-02-2002, 23:17
Do try and take the boat over the lake - particularly early evening as the driver will tell you which way the wind is blowing and where not to stand for the fireworks. He will also tell you the most advantageous points to get a great view.

rodders
24-02-2002, 23:07
Thanks Janesansom for the tip about the boat ride on the lake. We have been to EPCOT many times but have never taken the ride. Interesting if you get to know the best place to watch the fireworks. My son is visiting Orlando at the moment and I will surely pass this on to him as he intends to go to WDW during the week.

Rodders

jpeachornby
14-03-2002, 16:58
I went to Epcot for the first time in 1990 and went on the "through the human body ride". I get motion sickness sometimes (only on these sort of rides!) and felt thoroughly sick for ages afterwards.

We went to Orlando in November 2000 but didn't go to Epcot. We are due to go again next July and are planning to go - from the sounds of it, it hasn't changed very much since I went the first time.

We will give it a go though.

Jo

Malcolm
06-06-2002, 18:48
Well, I agree with janesansom,

We always try to visit EPCOT on every trip. We never liked MK much ourselves and there's always something else to try at EPCOT. I've still to get on to the Test Track and the boat trip at the Nestle pavillion through the hydroponics display is interesting.

Meanwhile, my wife could spend all day just going through Mother Earth!! She usually travels through it at least twice on each visit.
Sad, isn't it!!

Malcolm Currie

imported_n/a
22-09-2002, 19:49
There are always mixed reactions to Disney but just to show that you can take younger children here, below is a list of rides for "smaller people!"

If they are under 40" they can take part in the following: (Body Wars and Test track 40" required).

"Circle of Life" film
"Honey I Shrunk the Audience" 3-D film
"The American Adventure"
"The Making of Me," film of developing fetus
Behind the Seeds, Guided Greenhouse Tour
Cranium Command
Displays throughout the World Showcase
El Rio del Tiempo: The River of Time
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Food Rocks
Image Works
Innoventions -- technology and latest video games
Journey into the Imagination
Living with the Land
Maelstrom
Spaceship Earth
The Living Seas

Lots to do!

mikewj
21-10-2002, 23:25
One of the big problems I have with EPCOT is that its not as much a vision of the future as it used to be.

Things like the internet, digital photography, digital music etc are affordable and in a lot of houses these days, so it really needs to do something new to pull the crowds in.

As such, its certainly fallen off our schedule, although I still enjoy the "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" show and the different countries are worth walking around (assuming its not a very wet day in June).