PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire

SteveDonovan
25-04-2003, 12:23
Can anyone offer guidance? I am off to Florida next Saturday (3May)and dont have a credit card, always used a a debit card, I know, I know I,m but I'm old fashioned.

Never been a problem before when travelling with the wife as we use hers but on this occasion I am travelling alone, it seems as that the car hire companys like to have Credit Card details in case you drive off and dont come back. Any suggestions, no one seems to be able to get me a credit card within a week even if I apply online. Is it cabs for me?

Carla
25-04-2003, 12:53
Phone the car hire company (or ask your agent to do it for you) and ask them what they need instead of a credit card.

I know of someone who had to leave around US$1000 with the car hire company in lieu of a credit card.

You wouldn't be the first person to hire a car without a credit card.

Have a great trip.

roger
25-04-2003, 13:20
Steve

If you use our car hire which is with Dollar (http://www.uscarhire.co.uk) you can pay by debit card on-line, and Dollar do not stipulate that you need to leave credit card details with them when you pick up the car.

SteveDonovan
25-04-2003, 15:23
Thanks Roger. I have arranged through Dollar and as you rightly said no deposit is required. I think I will order a Credit Card anyway just to keep my options open in future.

Daniel Ramsey
05-05-2003, 03:07
I removed myself from ever owning a credit card years ago, on our last trip to Orlando my wife used her card to rent an auto for two weeks, well upcoming next january I'll be renting a villa for 4 weeks ands its looking like I may be there with just my son for two weeks as the wife may not get more than two weeks off.

It would be nice if I could rent the car on my debit card and get a better rate like a monthly rental. We would have to pay extra for a second person of $10 per day which would be me otherwise.