PDA

View Full Version : What Business Would You Choose

sundowner
15-07-2005, 15:28
Hi everyone. Hubby and I are hoping to move to Florida next year and just cannot decide what type of business to look at. On the other hand, would it be better to get a job with a U.S. company. What do all of you do, and how did you find out about the opportunities there ? Look forward to advice, good or bad news.

heathercobbett
15-07-2005, 16:11
I am always surprised that there are no baked potato restaurants in Fla (particularly when you see the backlash about conventional fast food)

However,It strikes me that all the businesses in Orlando are jolly hard work and most of them seem to be over subscribed

pieman790
15-07-2005, 16:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett
I am always surprised that there are no baked potato restaurants in Fla (particularly when you see the backlash about conventional fast food)

However,It strikes me that all the businesses in Orlando are jolly hard work and most of them seem to be over subscribed
[/quote]

They dont even sell baked potato in Costco like they do in the UK.
Maybe there could a hole in the market for somebody to fill.

blott
15-07-2005, 16:37
Whatever you eventually choose, make sure that it's something that you're going to enjoy doing as you'll hopefully be doing it for a long time! Look on the business sale websites and try and imagine yourself doing all the jobs and which one you'd really enjoy - dismiss all the ones you'd hate!

If you do a desk job in the UK, then don't go for something strenuous like lawn care or pools as you'll soon be exhausted.

Try and do something that's not connected to the holiday trade (which is unpredictable at the best of times) so try and look for something that would appeal to permanent residents as year round customers.

When you think you've found something ideal, then talk to as many people in the same business as you can to get a feel for what it really is like doing that particular job. You could ask if you could volunteer for a week to spend that time actually doing that particular job. Even if you have staff, you have to know how things work (the staff will be looking for you to solve their work problems!) and sometimes you may be doing the job yourself if there's a staff shortage, if you're not doing it full time anyway.

Make sure you ask lots of pertinent questions if you're buying an existing business and look into it thoroughly to make sure that it's worth the purchase money requested and also that it's suitable for obtaining a visa.

Hone up on staff management skills (you need to employ local staff as part of your visa application) if you don't already have these. Even if you run your own family business in the UK without staff and think you can manage a company, know that having employed staff is a whole new ballgame.

Make sure that the business you eventually purchase doesn't have a liability insurance issue that costs a fortune in workers' compensation premiums.

Jobs with US companies are really difficult to come by as the companies are not allowed to employ anyone when there is someone around locally who could do the same job and it's an awful lot of paperwork for them so most don't bother unless you're exceptionally qualified in something that's in short supply.

steph_goodrum
15-07-2005, 16:44
"They dont even sell baked potato in Costco like they do in the UK.
Maybe there could a hole in the market for somebody to fill."

We found a place in West Oaks Mall a couple of years ago that sold baked potato.

I don't know if you read the Daily Mirror but Alan Sugar writes a column for entrepreneurs and the thing that comes up time and time again is not to go into a business unless you know something about it.

The number of times people write in and say things like "I'm a lifeguard but I fancy running a take-away shop" , whilst some skills are transferable, the biggest rule of any successful one is to know your product, you can't sell it to clients if you don't know the first thing about it. So to some extent your choice of business will be partly dictated by your current skills and knowledge. Don't just buy any business to get you over there because you'll soon find you don't have the skills or enthusiasm to make it the success it needs to continue to be to renew your visa when required.

chrizzy100
15-07-2005, 17:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sundowner
Hi everyone. Hubby and I are hoping to move to Florida next year and just cannot decide what type of business to look at. On the other hand, would it be better to get a job with a U.S. company. What do all of you do, and how did you find out about the opportunities there ? Look forward to advice, good or bad news.
[/quote]

Finding a job with a company wins hands down in my books.......one that leads to a greencard.......then you can do whatever you like........

sundowner
15-07-2005, 18:11
Thanks everyone. You know it's a little spooky cos me and hubby talked about the baked potato thing a while ago. Maybe eventually setting up a chain so that we can employ and train locals.

We will be going over for 3 months when the villa is built to give us some ideas and have a good look at potential markets. I did consider once, going to work in some sort of franchise place to give me a good understanding of how they work.

It would be great if hubby could get a job within a company. He enjoys his work very much and loves a challenge - at present he goes into companies that are in difficulty (about to go down the pan) and helps bring them back on track (similar to a programme that was on a while ago, but can't remember the name). Or, if they need new systems in place (SAP etc)I am sure other companies in U.S. would be able to find their fellow americans can do the job.

So that means we are back to baked potatoes then - any particular fillings take your fancy ??

steph_goodrum
15-07-2005, 19:39
Tuna, sweetcorn and mayo for me please Sundowner.

Maybe Spud U like might do franchises in the US, although the business is more restrictive if a franchise at least theres a bit of support to get you going, plus of course their advertising.

esprit
16-07-2005, 03:50
Wendys sell baked potatoes. I regularly have one with sour cream and chive and a cup of chili on top, they do other flavours too, broccoli and cheese stands out.

If you can get a job do so. You will be en route to green card. Nothing can ever explain the insecurity of having your visa attached to your business and knowing that however old and ill you get, you have to keep trading it and cant retire, your kids dont have a right to stay after 21 and I cant stress the amount of hard work and stress that running a business attached to a visa brings. It is also getting more and more difficult to get E2. I got mine in 5 weeks, the wait time is now much longer and many more people seem to be being turned down.

If you must run a business, think outside of the box. Anything to do with vacation is oversubscribed and really hard work. Look at things Americans need, you couldnt go wrong wirh air conditioning, roofing, plumbing and electrician ( all really needed here). All earn about three times per hour what you will earn in property management. I have to say. Beauty salon, tanning salon ( yes I know someone who is very successful) blinds, massage therapist, hairdresser etc etc. Look to manage not to do yourself so though experience is advised, it isnt 100% necessary.

If you really want the rose coloured glasses off, there is a website with a section specifically for E2 where a number of us already running businesses here help and advise people wanting to move out. Dm me for details. Reading through the threads isnt for the faint hearted, you will see how difficult and daunting it can be, a few people recently have decided not to make the move after all, or to go to Oz where you get permanent residence if you buy a business, a couple of people already here have decided it isnt for them and have moved back to the UK. If you still want to do it, there is loads and loads of practical information on there. And friendship and camaraderie.

Ray9
16-07-2005, 09:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott

Jobs with US companies are really difficult to come by as the companies are not allowed to employ anyone when there is someone around locally who could do the same job [/quote]
A common misconception but not true...
That only apples for labor certification or when a H-1B is going for the GC..

blott
16-07-2005, 14:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray9

Jobs with US companies are really difficult to come by as the companies are not allowed to employ anyone when there is someone around locally who could do the same job [/quote]
That only apples for labor certification or when a H-1B is going for the GC..[/quote]I read that info here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/skilledworkers.html

Ray9
16-07-2005, 17:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray9

That only apples for labor certification or when a H-1B is going for the GC..[/quote]I read that info here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/skilledworkers.html
[/quote]
You were looking at Employment Based Third Preference or EB-3
current backlog is about 6 year in that sector..
try here... http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/priorityworker.html
But remember.. the embassy has no duty to give accurate information..
the Supreme's say so ..

sundowner
16-07-2005, 18:41
Thanks all of you. It all makes very interesting reading and requires a great deal of 'looking into'. Of course, we have been considering a number of options, all of which could be feasible, but it must be something we would stick to.

We would hope to manage our own business and did think of a franchise as a learning/stepping stone unless offered employment within a large corporation, but who knows what will happen. One thing for sure is that it won't be next week or next month (unless we have a miracle). We are very realistic and grown up about it all and will not make the jump until we are confident that we have a good knowledge of what we are getting into (of course the practical side of it might be different).

Julie, thanks for the advice - the glasses are off and I have DM'd you.

Look forward to more info

esprit
16-07-2005, 19:11
Franchises are good. They have a better success rate than start ups and are often cheaper and without the baggage of a trading co. Be careful of the franchisors terms and condirions, some are ok, others are draconian. The embassy is currently not seeing buying a franchise straight as enougn financial commitment, they are insisting on seeing vehicles, leases on premises etc in place. Some are trying to achieve this by putting money into escrow for these, after all who wants trucks and a warehouse before they get the business. A number of cases are in process on this so we will see what transpires.

Rocco
17-07-2005, 03:39
I agree with Julie - everything here is to do with vacations and the problem is that Brits are paying well over the odds for homes and businesses. Another thing also not to think doing is anything to do with the food industry....there's zillions of places to buy food here, how could anyone feasibly compete with the big boys and still turn over enough money to comply with E2 visa rules? Go on any online site for businesses for sale in Florida and see the difference in prices when the business is not suitable for E2. They bump up the prices considerably when it's suitable for this visa, since looking at this site I've looked out of interest. They know people are desperate to move here so even the paperwork isn't done properly for some people when they buy. It's atrocious.

At least with a franchise you have the knowledge that it's probably a household name which is easier to market plus you will have that company's backing behind you which makes it less likely for you to buy and try to market a turkey.

What about something completely different like buying a nice big plot of land like 10-15 acres, and hooking up water and electricity supplies and having your own mobile home park? They're ALWAYS popular and at an average of $350 per month per lot, you'd probably turn over enough to comply. Think what is a growth industry and not one which is done to death. More and more Floridians cannot afford to buy homes because the wages just aren't keeping up with the over inflated prices, therefore more are turning to mobile homes. Like I said in a previous thread, one in three homeowners in Florida are mobile home owners. Your land will appreciate as much as a home is likely to long term coupled with the fact you will have a business attached to it. Land is the thing to buy here now. In the future, people will be biting their arm off to buy it from you. That is definitely a growth industry.

esprit
17-07-2005, 08:14
Its a good question whether that would work, Rocco. They wont let you buy and rent out houses or condos on E2 because they say it is passive not active, even if you own a number, so if renting out land with a house on wouldnt be eligible for E2, would renting out land to put mobile homes on be counted differently?? Interesting question.

Rocco
17-07-2005, 10:31
But would that be classed as property management of your own mobile home park? I have no clue whether that would work or not, but it's worth someone looking into. I mean would you be able to be 'site manager' or something? You could then have your American employees as needed being lawn maintenance etc. I don't know I'm really not sure. I'm just tossing around ideas because it seems to me everyone who wants to come here wants to do dollar stores, fast food, lawn or pool. It might sound a great way to get started and come here, but to be responsible for that for life because if you stop you'll get sent back? Doesn't sound ideal.

On a separate note, it appears to me that everyone has a voice here. Especially the Hispanics. So many places in Florida you go to and shop signs are written just for the Spanish. The English don't have that voice. People who are lobbying for our rights here. People who will bring it to attention of those who matter the outrageous demands of immigration for those people who invest their life savings into homes and businesses here, creating wealth and employment for American citizens. Maybe someone ought to think about that.

esprit
17-07-2005, 23:42
Too true. Trouble is who do we lobby, we dont have the vote so we are of no worth to any of the politicians. There have been some moves on that other forum to do so via small business federations. The business with the children is the worst, that is the pits, and sending you home for renewal, so many of us live in total insecurity. Dave Walden is supposed to be quite good at helping out in individual cases rather than en masse, he helped someone I know with a visa problem. I once wrote to Jeb Bush and got a nice standard reply back.

Rocco
18-07-2005, 02:09
Well as far as me and my husband are concerned the Bush's are responsible for all the problems this country has today anyway.

Ray9
18-07-2005, 09:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rocco
What about something completely different like buying a nice big plot of land like 10-15 acres, and hooking up water and electricity supplies and having your own mobile home park? They're ALWAYS popular and at an average of $350 per month per lot, you'd probably turn over enough to comply. Think what is a growth industry and not one which is done to death. More and more Floridians cannot afford to buy homes because the wages just aren't keeping up with the over inflated prices, therefore more are turning to mobile homes. Like I said in a previous thread, one in three homeowners in Florida are mobile home owners. [/quote]
Rocco, I like this idea ..and has possibilities..
Problem I see..
Zoning permission.
Expense of putting in road, sewer, water and electric lines.
but overcome those and a very good business especially as those many parks are being sold off as developer buy them up for housing estates
would mean more customers..

and the number of mobiles according to the 2000 census is 11.6%
of dwellings..

Buying an existing park may be an alternative..but not cheap..

Rocco
18-07-2005, 20:51
Maybe in 2000 it was stated 11.6 but this is 5 years later and figures I read here released said that one in three owners are mobiles. Prices for houses were much more realistic just five years ago anyway.

Well I don't see it anymore expensive a venture than paying $250,000 for a small pool cleaning company!

In actual fact you can go to certain areas, Haines City is one where you can buy many plots of land side by side where there is already hook up for water and electricity PLUS being zoned for mobile homes. So why not buy up say 20 lots of these parcels of land and away you go.

esprit
19-07-2005, 06:49
There has been a huge rise in numbers of manufactured and mobile home dwellers because the $250,000 average price of home now is way beyond the means of ordinary Floridians who are on about $10 an hour. The way the prices have pushed up has priced them out of the market. Many young Floridians now cannot afford a proper home, I have to say we have exported the British disease to Florida.

So many people have sold their mobile park land for building on (evicting the tenants) in recent times though that it must be apparent that if you acquired a suitable piece of land, building on it may be the way to go rather than putting mobile homes on it. The difference from the $250,000 pool co is that that it will be established, have accounts, contracts and employees and may be quite a lot easier to get through the visa application than a start up.....

Rocco
19-07-2005, 06:58
I agree Julie with your last statement. However the way I see it is that on paper it looks good. But that's all it is, is on paper. Because who in their right mind would sell a business which would generate say $80,000 a year income for around $200k? The problem with maintenance is that you have to assume you will keep the business of your clients and the problem is once again you are up against the big boys as it were, with the huge property management.

I think it's a venture looking in to. I could be completely wrong, but if property management of houses work, I cannot see why this venture would not be acceptable.

sundowner
19-07-2005, 14:53
Well, you have all given us some good food for thought here. We were starting to get a bit stale on ideas etc.

Don't really fancy buying land and renting it out, think we would need some experience in that area, although, for someone in the know it would be a great investment.

I know exactly what you mean about the cost of business for E2 is way above the norm, but they have a market for it and they are going to exploit it if they can, we just have to accept that.

Thanks for all the feed back and will give you any updates as and when we decide.

chrizzy100
19-07-2005, 17:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
There has been a huge rise in numbers of manufactured and mobile home dwellers because the $250,000 average price of home now is way beyond the means of ordinary Floridians who are on about $10 an hour. The way the prices have pushed up has priced them out of the market. Many young Floridians now cannot afford a proper home, I have to say we have exported the British disease to Florida.

So many people have sold their mobile park land for building on (evicting the tenants) in recent times though that it must be apparent that if you acquired a suitable piece of land, building on it may be the way to go rather than putting mobile homes on it. The difference from the $250,000 pool co is that that it will be established, have accounts, contracts and employees and may be quite a lot easier to get through the visa application than a start up.....
[/quote]

I would say a lot are on under $10 an hour.....it so odd here that people do everything so late......stay at school till 25....marry in late 20s..have kids mid 30s...buy their first home mid 40s.....to own a home is something too many Americans think is way out their reach because they are spending years paying off school fees and just living day to day....my dentist is mid 40s and it still paying off his school fees...he got his first house a few years ago....and his kids are so young......

esprit
19-07-2005, 18:07
Disney seems to pay around $8, its a laugh, but you do get an annual pass!! Sundowner run any business idea past www.investorvisausa.com. If she says it will run, it will run, if not, be careful. She knows what the embassy like better than most. At the moment, I am not sure they like anything that much!!! I think it is a better idea than baked spuds though.

chrizzy100
19-07-2005, 18:46
Starting pay on the Cape is now $8 at a lot of places because no-one would take the shop jobs......it was $6.25 before that......taking into account that to rent a house is around $2k a month in winter...and $2k a week in summer..its a joke.....most people live in hotels here full time......

Once the kids reach 18 here they just leave......nowhere for them to live.......unless they stay at home...and in most cases parents just kick their kids out at that age.......very few kids from here go on to college because they have no money and their parents have no money.......thats why the Tech school is the place to go...you can start work on a good wage when you finish......

Rocco
19-07-2005, 18:53
Well how about this as a slight alternative. See if you can buy some land, and actually put your mobiles on there and rent them out. Mobiles actually get almost just as good rents as houses here. They're pretty comparable. Whether its vacation or residential it's still pretty much square. You can pick up some great resale/repossessed ones for pretty cheap. You could then run your own park have have some lots for rent too. You may not like the idea but like you I'm throwing you out some thoughts. I don't know much about this at all, but I do admit that nearly every English person I've met here has bought something to do with property management and I just don't know how they are going to sustain things which relate to the vacation industry longterm because you just don't know what's around the corner with regard to this market.