PDA

View Full Version : help needed for lifestyle change.

don wilson
23-04-2003, 02:24
We have recently purchased a property in the Kissimmee area of Florida, which is due for completion in the next two monthes. As I hold a duel US/UK citizenship and social number, my partner and I have deceided to give living in the US a serious try,so much so we are considering selling off our house here in the UK. As yet,we haven't deceided what employment we will be undertaking,and wonder if any of your readers have any suggestions.
I,ve worked in the construction trade for the last 25 years but with a complete change of lifestyle would hope to find another challenge. The thought of maintaining other homes appeals,so any advice would be helpfull.
Also we would appreciate any advice on purchasing furniture as we will be leaving most of ours here.
Thanks.

esprit
23-04-2003, 04:02
Well as someone tussling with a visa application, having the right to reside there is your big plus. Do you mean employment ot self employment? The lack of employment legislation there makes it much easier to run a business than here. Maintaining other homes?? Well why not? There is a shortage of good handymen out there. We all need little jobs doing and it is really hard to find someone. Mind you, you need to be licensed to do pretty near everything.
Furniture is not a problem. Rooms 2 Go has all you need and much cheaper than here too. Or does you house come with a furniture pack??

steph_goodrum
23-04-2003, 11:31
Just out of interest you say your "partner", do the US recognise legal rights of unmarried people living together as the UK do (in most cases after 6 months) or can you automatically both go to the US using your citizenship, or do you need to be married , I'm just curious?

Amirah
25-04-2003, 04:02
Julie is right about having a license to do everything over here. Find a promising job in the US first before you make any decisons. The US unemployment rate has soared during the last year. Constuction workers are part of unions over here and you have to meet certain requirments and have a particular licensures before any company hires you.

It will be a big lifestyle change as you mentioned but do your homework first. Talk to an international relocation firm over here in the US to weigh your options. Florida and the southern states are cheap places to live but jobs down there don't pay much. I wish my family and I could move down there but it financially it isn't an option yet. We are not ready for any pay cuts! Good luck! :)