PDA

View Full Version : Someone Ill On on Tower of Terror

burbs
13-07-2005, 03:49
Just seen on the news over here in the UK that a 16 year old has died on the ride. Got off feeling queasy and then died apparently. The Sheriff said that Disney had done everything right, however the ride has been closed for time being

LiesaAnna
13-07-2005, 11:23
very sad, our sympathies to the family,[grouphug]

that makes me more afraid, i have started thinking i might go on these rides after all not designed to kill but thrill, but now dont think i will go on it.....
bless the poor girl,

E. Cosgrove
13-07-2005, 11:37
I'm sure that the ride is as safe as it possibly can be Leisa and is no way "designed to kill".
When everything comes to light it is quite probable that this girl had an underlying medical condition of which the family were unaware.
It is very, very, sad but no reason for normal healthy people to stop enjoying the theme parks or for people to fear that the rides are in some way dangerous.

Rooster
13-07-2005, 11:39
According to USA Today the girl has not died but remains in a critical condition. Our thoughts are with the family nevertheless.

Rooster

luckylady
13-07-2005, 12:44
The rides are safe and certainly not designed to hurt or harm anyone
The young girl will have a health problem that no ones aware of
So come on Liesa don't let this stop you from enjoying and experiencing a great ride
I must add my thoughts and prayers goes to this young girls family

LiesaAnna
13-07-2005, 13:35
it wont stop me, but with high blood pressure i often think should i or shouldnt i?

i pray the girl hasnt died! that would be awful,

lets hope for a speedy recovery!![grouphug][grouphug]

becbecs
13-07-2005, 14:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rooster
According to USA Today the girl has not died but remains in a critical condition. Our thoughts are with the family nevertheless.

Rooster
[/quote]

If this is the case then this is good news and lets all hope that she pulls through and makes a speedy recovery, this is so sad especially for a girl of 16, our thoughts go out to her and her family.

kaysvacationvilla
13-07-2005, 16:18
POSTED: 1:00 pm EDT July 12, 2005
UPDATED: 6:44 am EDT July 13, 2005

A 16-year-old British girl remained in critical condition Wednesday after riding the "Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror" ride at Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, according to Local 6 News.

solanasunshine
13-07-2005, 17:23
Latest from the BBC news is that the young girl has had a heart attack and remains in hospital in a critical condition. ToT remains closed whilst engineers check it all over for any anomalies.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the young girl and her family at this awful time.

steph_goodrum
13-07-2005, 18:15
We too are thinking of the family and hope that it turns out well for the girl and she makes a full recovery.

Just like strokes and arthritis you never think of youngsters suffering from these things but sad as it is it does happen, sometimes without warning.

The reason these events receive so much publicity is because of the fact they are so rare, it's a sad fact of life that around 3000 people died on British roads alone so every incident does not warrant the same coverage as an isolated event.

ellie
13-07-2005, 19:05
Disney has a wonderful safety record, and they do everything they can to make sure their rides are the safest in the world.

With the hundreds of thousands of people who pass through their gates it is a wonder that there are so few people who are taken ill or die - the law of averages would suggest that this would be normal - even without going on any rides. Not everyone who visits Disney is fit and healthy, or even young. You have only to look around at the number of 'mature' people who still love the parks and all they have to offer.

I would be far more worried about going on some of our funfair rides here in the UK.

Our hearts go out to the family concerned but at this stage there is nothing to suggest that it was the ride itself that caused the problem. We do not have any information on what caused her collapse, and should not speculate on its causes.

Disney does its best to warn people with back conditions, heart problems, pregnancy etc about each of the rides, but after that it is up to the individual to decide whether to participate.

adox
13-07-2005, 22:00
USA Today are reporting that the ride has now re-opened.

The do hope the girl in question makes a full recovery.

Andy and Wendy
13-07-2005, 22:30
Nturally all thoughts with the family...

Any chance of changing the (somewhat alarming) heading here though, as it does seem the little girl is in hospital.

Andy

chrizzy100
13-07-2005, 23:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
it wont stop me, but with high blood pressure i often think should i or shouldnt i?

i pray the girl hasnt died! that would be awful,

lets hope for a speedy recovery!![grouphug][grouphug]
[/quote]

Sometimes the wording is a bit strong......they try to cover everything on every ride...so sometimes if a rides turns out to need the signs......you take no notice and go on because you've been on the other rides and they turned out to be tame......

More thought needs to go into the wording on rides......and maybe a view of the ride somewhere so you can make your mind up......I missed out on every ride because of my neck on my first visit.....and I was very angry on my second to find out how tame some of the rides were.......I now send someone on the ride who knows about my problems and they tell me if its safe for me or not.....
I put off going on the Mummy this trip.....hubby went on and thought it was a let down........and that It could hurt my back for very little enjoyment....so I stick to splash mountain.....the Runaway train....Back to the Future.....Men in Black......and rides like that......

LiesaAnna
14-07-2005, 00:45
hey lets all just live.... never know whats just around the corner:)

laalaa
14-07-2005, 01:26
Poor girl, it seems she probably had an undiagnosed heart condition.

This seems to be happening all too often now, i work in a childrens hospital and i have seen or heard of a few cases like this. Some people are just walking down the street and collapse, so i would guess that the ride really wasnt at fault. More of a case of, if she know about her condition then she wouldnt have been allowed on the ride.

Hope she is all right.

chrizzy100
14-07-2005, 02:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by laalaa
Poor girl, it seems she probably had an undiagnosed heart condition.

This seems to be happening all too often now, i work in a childrens hospital and i have seen or heard of a few cases like this. Some people are just walking down the street and collapse, so i would guess that the ride really wasnt at fault. More of a case of, if she know about her condition then she wouldnt have been allowed on the ride.

Hope she is all right.
[/quote]

My son had to see a heart doctor before playing ice hockey in the USA...he'd been playing for years in the UK and we never give that a thought.......

Florida3883
14-07-2005, 10:35
Very sad about the young girl. However, you never know what is around the corner as Liesa says, and don't I know it. Disney does have a great safety record.

Ruth
16-07-2005, 07:59
I discussed accidents like these with a Disney employee last Sunday outside Mission Space. James (who had turned 5 2 weeks before and was 40.5 inches tall) was desperate to go on. The cast member assured me he would be okay and that only people with underlying problems have health problems as a result of the rides. I let him on and he loved it and has not stopped talking about it since. I hope that this girl recovers okay.

linda allen
16-07-2005, 12:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
I discussed accidents like these with a Disney employee last Sunday outside Mission Space. James (who had turned 5 2 weeks before and was 40.5 inches tall) was desperate to go on. The cast member assured me he would be okay and that only people with underlying problems have health problems as a result of the rides. I let him on and he loved it and has not stopped talking about it since. I hope that this girl recovers okay.
[/quote]

I'm sure the Disney employee is right. Although my elder boy at 4 and a half years old was tall enough to go on mission space, and wanted to, my husband wasn't so sure. I would have taken him on though.
Both my boys did go on Tower of Terror, yes even the 3 year old, and I personally think that is more scarey. There was another 3 year old infront of us who was riding for the 2nd time and loved it.
My boys took a raincheck on a return visit though.[msneek]

luckylady
17-07-2005, 15:05
Has anyone got a update on this young girl
I do hope she recovers

LiesaAnna
17-07-2005, 15:44
just had a look through and cant find any, only know shes from Kibworth in the UK, so i would be interested to hear how she is, hoping shes recovering well?

Rich-n-Ang
28-07-2005, 13:01
See BBC link for update:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4722211.stm

Hope she gets better soon.

LiesaAnna
28-07-2005, 13:59
Thanx for that Rich and Ang, i looked around last week and couldnt find anything!!yes i hope she is better soon and home with her family!ASAP:)

lynny
24-07-2006, 17:19
Soo sad..but must have had a medical condition..my 7 year old loved it! but of course our sympathy is with the family and friends of the poor girl.[grouphug][grouphug]