PDA

View Full Version : Green Card Lottery

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 00:19
Ok... here is a question for you brain boxes out there...

My Parents are both british, but I was born in Berlin (West Germany), whilst my father was based in the British Army out there.

Would this allow me to apply for the Green Card Lottery? [^]

fiona
21-04-2003, 00:41
It should do, my husband was born in Cyprus while his parents were stationed there with Cable & Wireless, and we can! Check if Germany is on the list of countries you can still apply from.

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 00:45
Thanks Fiona...

Where can I find the list that would show if Germany is included?

esprit
21-04-2003, 03:07
The list is at http://green-card-lottery-us-immigration-visa-lottery.com/countries.html
Germany is eligible. Guess what, the UK isnt again. Yes if you were born in Germany even of British parents, you can apply.

movement no movement
21-04-2003, 03:24
Northern Ireland Qualifies !!!!

Yay - not that this includes me (though my dad is from belfast - i was born in wimbledon)

but yay nonetheless for those from northern ireland.

it said:

(Natives of the following European countries do not qualify for this year's diversity program: GREAT BRITAIN. GREAT BRITAIN (UNITED KINGDOM)

Note that for purposes of the diversity program only, Northern Ireland is treated separately; Northern Ireland does qualify and is listed among the qualifying areas.

well done for finding that julie

sean flude

esprit
21-04-2003, 03:51
If your Dad was born in Northern Ireland, you may qualify, Sean.

Tracey
21-04-2003, 14:30
I hoped this would work for us, as Dave's Mum was born in Egypt, but the instructions state;

'If a person was born in a country whose natives are ineligible, but neither of his/her parents was born there or resided there at the time of the birth, such person may be able to claim nativity in one of the parents’ country of birth.'

Well obviously Dave's parents resided in the UK (an ineligble country)at the time of his birth so I believe that disqualifies us.

blott
21-04-2003, 14:53
Tracey, you left out the most important bit at the end of your quoted sentence... 'such person may be able to claim nativity in one of the parents’ country of birth.'

So, if just one of someone's parents were born in an eligible country, that should make that person eligible to apply for the green card lottery.

I think that does make Dave eligible for the green card lottery! :)

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 15:21
Thats fantastic news about Germany being included. It says on my birth certificate that I was born in Germany.... In a British Medical Hospital, due to my dad being in the British army out there. I have not been back since I was born. (Only there for 3 months)

How many people apply each year for the Green Card Lottery, and How many get picked? Does anyone know the answers to this?

Thanks for all your help guys and girls..:D

blott
21-04-2003, 15:48
Don't know how many from Germany apply but lots of people don't fill in the forms properly. The odds of winning are said to be about 1:50 or 60.

steph_goodrum
21-04-2003, 16:02
I'm not quite sure how a person can be born in a country with neither of their parents residing there (even if only temporarily), I know about the miracles of science but how on earth does a woman give birth to a baby whilst living in another country?
:D:D:D

Blott
i would have thought Dave was disqualified by the first part of the sentence:"'If a person was born in a country whose natives are ineligible, but neither of his/her parents was born there or resided there at the time of the birth"
as it says if "Neither" of their parents were born there, so implying to me that if "Either" of them was born in that country that would make them ineligible to claim nativity in another country. As usual they don't explain anything simply and leave open to various interpretations.

esprit
21-04-2003, 16:05
Yes 1 in 60 is about right. About the same as three numbers up in the lottery ( so not THAT easy). Having said that, I have known several people who have won so it makes you wonder whether it is all totally down to chance or there is a certain amount of cherry picking??

Shardeblil
21-04-2003, 16:21
[quote]Originally posted by steph_goodrum

I'm not quite sure how a person can be born in a country with neither of their parents residing there (even if only temporarily), I know about the miracles of science but how on earth does a woman give birth to a baby whilst living in another country?
:D:D:D

Steph,

Maybe the baby was born whilst they were on holiday, perhaps premature[?]

steph_goodrum
21-04-2003, 17:28
that's what I assumed they were covering, there is probably some definition of residence somewhere but i've not looked as I know it won't apply to us anyway.

mm69340
21-04-2003, 17:42
WOW!
This makes very interesting reading! My cousin won the lottery- She is from Longford Ireland. I never really understood it or how difficult it was to get. She won at the ripe old age of 21. Up and moved to the States! We didn't find out she was here until 6 years later when she started to look for her relatives here.

I have to say I give her credit. At the age of 21, I was lucky I was ready to live in a different state then my parents!

Tracey
21-04-2003, 17:57
I think this clause gives the 'residing in a country at the time of the applicants birth' a clearer definition.

'Finally, any applicant born in a country ineligible for this year's DV program can be "charged" to the country of birth of either parent as long as neither parent was a resident of the ineligible country at the time of the applicant's birth. In general, people are not considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized if they are only visiting the country temporarily or stationed in the country for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government.'

blott
21-04-2003, 18:20
So Dave's mother would have been considered a resident of Egypt by virtue of being born there and, if Dave's father were considered to be a resident of Egypt (or another eligible country), then that would make Dave eligible for the lottery.

It's all about as clear as mud really! :D Makes you think carefully about where to deliver though - no wonder there are piles of people who come over here from various countries specifically for that reason on a visitor's visa and then return home again after the birth! Used to catch loads of them out trying to do it for nothing too...

phil moloney
21-04-2003, 18:28
More than Villas, Your best bet is to get moving on your application, if costs little and soon you will become very knowledgeable on the subject, who knows you might even be lucky, If youre not in you can't win!

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 20:34
I have just found the USA site where i can apply on line for the lottery.... Gonna give it a go today... Thanks for all your help guys! I will let you all know if "IT COULD BE MEEEEEE." :D

blott
21-04-2003, 22:47
Be careful as some sites charge a lot of money whether you're eligible or not! You can get the forms for yourself, fill them in and post them off without paying anything at all.

Good luck!