PDA

View Full Version : Bristol/Newark/Florida

Clare R
08-07-2005, 00:23
Due to try the Continental flight from Bristol in September with a connection in Newark and then down to Florida. Has anyone done this trip yet?

chrisflowers
08-07-2005, 01:24
Yes. We flew down from Bristol 6 days after they started the flights. Short stopover in EWR, then straight down to Orlando. And home within 1 1/2 hours unlike the 5 hour trek from Gatwick.

Doing the same thing in August for a wedding in Sarasota.
Thank you Continental.

If you want any further info, let me know

08-07-2005, 01:28
"Continental to start direct flights from Bristol to New York Newark

Source: Bristol Airport

Continental Airlines has announced it will launch daily non-stop flights between Bristol and New York Newark, effective May 20, 2005 (westbound).

The new service, the first scheduled non-stop trans-Atlantic service from Southwest England, will link Bristol with New York, the world's financial capital and the number one U.S. business and tourism destination, and provide a new gateway to the region for North American visitors, creating additional inbound tourism opportunities.

Continental's Bristol-New York/Newark flights will be operated with a 172-seat Boeing 757 aircraft, carrying 16 passengers in the BusinessFirst cabin and 156 in Economy.

Flight CO77 will depart Bristol daily at 9:00 a.m., arriving at New York Newark at 12:00 p.m. the same day. The return flight, CO76, will depart New York Newark daily at 7:30 p.m., arriving at Bristol at 7:30 a.m. the next day.

The Bristol flights have been conveniently timed to connect at New York Newark with an extensive network of flights throughout the U.S.A., Canada and Latin America. Continental is the only airline to operate a major hub in the New York City metropolitan area. Located just 16 miles from downtown Manhattan, Liberty International offers the fastest surface transfer journeys to many parts of the city, including the AirTrain service to New York Penn Station in midtown Manhattan.

Passengers arriving at Liberty International on Continental flights from Bristol will be able to use exclusive immigration and customs facilities in Terminal C3, Continental's Global Gateway, and connect quickly and easily with Continental's 407 daily flights from Liberty International to 170 destinations throughout the Americas, including 143 served non-stop, in almost all cases without changing terminals

The new flights will feature Continental's renowned BusinessFirst service, which won the Best Executive/Business Class award in the OAG Airline of the Year Awards in both 2004 and 2003, based on voting by frequent flyers worldwide.

Continental Airlines has been serving the U.K. since 1985 and offers non-stop flights across the Atlantic from more airports in the U.K. and Ireland than any other airline. In the U.K., the airline operates non-stop flights to New York Newark from London Gatwick and Birmingham (each twice daily) and Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh (each daily); flights to Houston from London Gatwick (twice daily); and flights to Cleveland from London Gatwick (daily, seasonal). In addition, Continental and Virgin Atlantic Airways codeshare on Virgin Atlantic-operated flights from London Heathrow and London Gatwick to several U.S. cities."

Good route but I am not a fan off the 757 on trans atlantics, I used to operate the 757 from Manchester to JFK with BA and its a narrow bodied aircraft and not good on this route, that being said Im sure you will benefit by going direct from Bristol.

chrisflowers
08-07-2005, 10:46
It is currently one of the planes used routinely on the flights to Orlando from Newark.
One of the disadvantages is that they do not have a laptop power socket.
This is the same from Birmingham.
Only the Continental 777 planes from Gatwick have power points in all seats, that I have experienced.

I have never had problems with the planes being narrow bodied. And used to regularly fly from Birmingham, just to avoid the long haul to Gatwick (from South Wales)

heathercobbett
08-07-2005, 13:35
Newark used to be a nightmare,but they have made great efforts to make things better.You will then fly into the national part of Orlando airport,so you save some of your time back

cjboatman
08-07-2005, 18:56
We are flying with Continental in October from Dublin to Orlando via Newark.

Does this mean that we will still clear immigration in Dublin as normal, and then will we be domestic arrivals in Orlando, does this save much time.

Hope someone can help? We have always flown direct before, but prices were much higher this october for some reason.

Ray&Sarah
08-07-2005, 20:18
This is a route we had forgotten about, it would be so easy for us living in Gloucester, must look into it for our next trip.[msnsmile2]

CERICROWLEY
08-07-2005, 21:03
Craig

You will still be classed as an international flight in Newark, and go through immigration there.

We just booked flight for October and we got them really cheap £350 each from Bristol via Newark. We though they must have made a mistake and snapped them up before they went up again. As this was the half term break as well.

Clare R
10-07-2005, 00:58
Mach 2 - you are a bit out of date, the times you give are the original flight times, the departure from Bristol is now 11.10 am each day arriving at Newark at 14.00, the return flight is at 16.00 arriving back at Bristol at 8.55 am the following day. Flight prices incidentally are coming down daily.

10-07-2005, 02:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunstatevilla
Mach 2 - you are a bit out of date, the times you give are the original flight times, the departure from Bristol is now 11.10 am each day arriving at Newark at 14.00, the return flight is at 16.00 arriving back at Bristol at 8.55 am the following day. Flight prices incidentally are coming down daily.
[/quote]

Blame the web site I copied and pasted it[msnwink]

Its still the wrong aircraft for the route, ask anyone who has travelled on a transatlantic flight on a 757[msnscared]

KarenScott
10-07-2005, 02:22
Sunsetvilla
Who did you book your flights with?

chrisflowers
10-07-2005, 12:04
Book direct from Continental website for the best pricing. These days you wouls be lucky to knock off a few pounds off the price, and then you have a lower class of fare, with possibly no chance of collecting miles or elite points/segments (they are part of the Skyteam alliance).

www.continental.com then go to the travel centre to get a quote

(BRS is the code for Bristol and MCO for Orlando)

rainyday
21-07-2005, 22:35
Back to cjboatman/Craig's question, you will clear immigration in Dublin so you will be straight through in Newark AND Orlando. This will be a big help with a tight connection in Newark if your flight is delayed.

Robert5988
23-07-2005, 02:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Mach 2 - you are a bit out of date, the times you give are the original flight times, the departure from Bristol is now 11.10 am each day arriving at Newark at 14.00, the return flight is at 16.00 arriving back at Bristol at 8.55 am the following day. Flight prices incidentally are coming down daily.[/quote]

If those timings are correct the flight takes 7hrs 50 mins flying to Newark and 11hrs 55mins to Bristol???

Is the 16:00 departure from MCO?

chrisflowers
23-07-2005, 11:50
Robert

The flight to Newark takes between 6 hours 50 minutes and 7 hours 50 minutes depending on the position/strength of the jetstream they have to fly against. You have to add on the imigration procedures and a further 2 1/2 hour flight down to Orlando as a domestic flight.

The return flight to Birmingham leaves MCO at 4pm, and there is a 1 1/2hr delay before the flight number then continues to Birmingham. It is a different plane, and from a gate further down terminal C in Newark, so you get a quick break and can complete your US Visit exit procedures.

Return flight can be much quicker again if the jetstream proves to be helpful.

Maz
23-07-2005, 12:31
Sounds good to me as we live in south west too. Flying from Gatwick fro both of our trips this year - but will look into this next year.

Debbie

blott
23-07-2005, 12:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY
Craig

You will still be classed as an international flight in Newark, and go through immigration there.[/quote]I'm not sure that's correct as flights from Dublin normally clear US Immigration at Dublin and then you can just walk through Immigration on arrival.

Katys Grandad
23-07-2005, 12:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisflowers
Robert

The flight to Newark takes between 6 hours 50 minutes and 7 hours 50 minutes depending on the position/strength of the jetstream they have to fly against. You have to add on the imigration procedures and a further 2 1/2 hour flight down to Orlando as a domestic flight.

The return flight to Birmingham leaves MCO at 4pm, and there is a 1 1/2hr delay before the flight number then continues to Birmingham. It is a different plane, and from a gate further down terminal C in Newark, so you get a quick break and can complete your US Visit exit procedures.

Return flight can be much quicker again if the jetstream proves to be helpful.
[/quote]

I'm confused - does this flight go to Bristol or Birmingham?

Robert5988
23-07-2005, 13:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Robert

Return flight can be much quicker again if the jetstream proves to be helpful.[/quote]

Chris,

I was aware what you meant– it is just that it is confusing to others when you talk of flight timings for arriving in Newark and then return flight timings when you meant from Orlando not Newark. - that post did not mention MCO.

I take the AA 757 Manchester- Boston flight regularly and have taken under 5 hours on the eastbound leg - even though the 757 has a cruise of Mach 0.8 compared to 0.84 for the 777.

I was surprised at the difference in configuration of the 757s AA and Continental use for their transatlantic flights. Continental have 'proper' business class seats but AA have USA domestic first class seats which are not roomy as Continental - albeit still 2 x 2 configuration. Strangely, as you say, there are no laptop power points on the Continental 757 and yet the AA plane has them for all first class passsengers and lots in the coach cabin.

The AA flight is Coach only which is a great advantage as you do not use airmiles to upgrade to the front 6 rows yet have very good seats.
There is talk of AA following Continental's example and using dedicated 757s for transatlantic flights(currently they can use any of their 757-200 fleet) and changing the seating configuration.

chrisflowers
23-07-2005, 14:34
Robert

I also mistyped Birmingham instead of Bristol - too early in the morning and I had not had a cup of tea then!!

I always used to fly to and from Birmingham, but tried the Bristol flight just after it started at end of May. Trying it again in August. Seems to work well, except that is is not a direct flight from Orlando to Bristol, as timetabled, as you have to change planes, and are in-transit in Newark with a boarding stub only (from MCO to Bristol!) caused some confusion at first.

chrisflowers
23-07-2005, 14:38
I also used Continental's customer service form for flight experience, and got a reply to some of my questions -

Dear Dr. Flowers:

Thank you for contacting us and sharing your comments with us regarding our service to Bristol.

I can understand your concerns regarding the Boeing 757 that is currently being used for the Bristol/Newark route. Our business customers are very important to us and our success, we definitely want to please them and satisfy their needs. Continental has a plan to upgrade all the 757's with updated entertainments systems, which include power ports.

Your patience is greatly appreciated as we establish this service. Your comments have been documented in our Customer Care report and forwarded to our Marketing department for internal review.

Thank you for flying Continental Airlines and we look forward to welcoming you aboard future flights with us.

Regards,

Vanessa Peters
Customer Care Manager

Continental have a good reputation for listening to their customers, especially those who fly in business (rarely in my case!), and so it is likely that there will indeed be improvements in the planes on that route - but will never please Mach 2 unless they bring in 777s

Robert5988
23-07-2005, 15:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:but will never please Mach 2 unless they bring in 777s[/quote]

Or re-introduce that noisy, thirsty single aisle plane that flew supersonic for part of the journey[msnwink]!

CERICROWLEY
23-07-2005, 16:35
Just got my internet installed last night.

Arrived Thursday evening, after flying Continental BRS/EWR/MCO

Our departure time was 11.10amarrived in EWR 1.30pm should have been 2.15 but favourable winds got us here no problem. The difference in flying from BRS rather than LGW is that you arrive in EWR at terminal B and not C. which can be a bit of a nightmare.

Our connecting flight was at 4.05pm but if we were delayed at all I think we might have missed the flight.

Immigration was a lot more busy in Terminal B an C and we had to get the air train to terminal C and go through security checks again. Big queues. When we arrived from LGW last time we were already in Terminal C so just went to the next gate and waited. This time we had about 45mins to spare waiting at the gate.
But got here in the end.

Just a note to say, while we were on the plane. the family behind us, were also flying on to Orlando. and we found out that they were guests staying in a villa from this site:D

chrisflowers
23-07-2005, 17:07
Interesting Ceri

When we flew from Bristol in May we arrived at gate C134, which took us in as normal via the Terminal C immigration with no problem.

Maybe they had problems with the gate and had to go to B instead.

I am doing the same route on 19th August [msnsmile2]
so will feedback then

23-07-2005, 20:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:but will never please Mach 2 unless they bring in 777s[/quote]

Or re-introduce that noisy, thirsty single aisle plane that flew supersonic for part of the journey[msnwink]!
[/quote]

Now now boys you know that she was in a different league so lets not get bitchy[msnwink]

Mach 2 would be happy ish if the 757's they used were fitted out correctly for the route and length of flight, ie a decent business cabin, with seat back IFA and an economy cabin suitable for long haul, ie seat back IFA a decent seat pitch and maybe a row taken out half way down the middle cabin to make it easier to let people pass when the trolleys are out in the cabin[msnwink]

Personally I would still prefer a wide bodied aircarft though for flights over 4 hours[msncool]

chrisflowers
23-07-2005, 21:37
So it is not a case of the wrong aircraft for the route, just that the seat configuration and amenities need changing?

Sure, we would all prefer a wide bodied craft, but this is a new route from a provincial airport, so just at the moment we cannot complain. If there continues to be a high demand, maybe a larger plane will be used, but until then we can only hope that continental live up to their reputation of improving their aircraft.

The difference in journey time to and from the airport makes up for the small deficiencies.

23-07-2005, 23:13
In my view it is still the wrong aircraft for any longhaul route, but if they adapted it more for longhaul it would be better[msnwink] Its cheap to operate that is why they use it, and like you say if you are happy then fine it makes up for the long trek to another airport[msnwink]

KarenScott
24-07-2005, 00:17
The latest in the local paper is that they are cutting some of the services as it has not been as well used as they were hoping. Personnaly I think it does have something to do with the size of the plane that the uptake has not been so good. Saying that it is very tempting not to have that drive back from Gatwick after an Orlando holiday.

Robert5988
24-07-2005, 00:22
There was a long debate on what type of next generation aircraft should be built for long haul traffic. Airbus have gone for the huge super jumbo flying into a few major hub cities. Boeing for smaller aircraft that will be capable of flying economically direct to provincial cities.

As well as retaining their 777s for routes between hub cities, airlines like Continental and AA have taken the view that it makes commercial sense to operate from provincial(secondary) cites in Europe to East coast USA with the small 757. Presumably because there isn’t sufficient passenger demand for their larger aircraft on these routes and without doubt because it is cheaper to operate.

Boeing designed the 757 with a full payload range of approx 4,000 miles which in their view, with a cruising speed of 500mph or so, made it suitable for flights over 4 hours.

It seems Lucy's main objection to single aisle aircraft is the difficulty in getting to the toilets when the Flight Attendants are serving meals, although on twin aisle aircraft both trolleys move down opposite each other.

Katys Grandad
24-07-2005, 01:20
I think 4,000 is about as far as anybody would want to fly in a 757 but a lot of routes to the East Coast such as Boston, Washington and New York are well within that limit. Even Chicago is (just) less than 4,000 miles.

I don't think the number of aisles is that important. You can't exactly roam around the cabin on any flight these days mainly because the flight crew seem to increasingly discourage it.

chrisflowers
24-07-2005, 01:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Marthas Harbour
The latest in the local paper is that they are cutting some of the services as it has not been as well used as they were hoping. Personnaly I think it does have something to do with the size of the plane that the uptake has not been so good. Saying that it is very tempting not to have that drive back from Gatwick after an Orlando holiday.
[/quote]

I have checked on the Britol Evening Post website and cannot find a story on this.

Can you tell us more, or give a summary of the article?

24-07-2005, 01:31
My main objection is space and the feeling of space plus being designed for longhaul. I have operated the 757 on lots of routes from the shortest trips to Jersey, to mid Europe like Rome, Madrid, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich to name but a few, plus longer routes like Athens and Cyprus, and of course New York[msnwink] I just know from heaps of experience it works best of all on flights up to 2 hours and its just bearable up to a max of 4 but over that I need a wide bodied[msnwink]

I love the aircarft though always have since I first worked on it in the early 80's[msnsmile]

KarenScott
24-07-2005, 11:54
Hi Chris
This was in the EP the other week

DISAPPOINTED AT FLIGHT CUTS

BY HUGO BERGER H.BERGER

11:00 - 18 July 2005

Passengers have expressed disappointment that daily flights between Bristol and New York are to be cut to five days a week. Continental Airlines has announced the reduction in its flights between Bristol International and America's Newark airport.

As reported in later editions of Saturday's Evening Post, inward and outward-bound flights on Tuesdays and Thursdays will be discontinued from the end of October until next April - only two months after they were launched.

The Evening Post went to Lulsgate to gauge the reaction among passengers checking in for yesterday's flight to New York.

Although there was a large queue for the checking-in desk, many regulars on the transatlantic crossings said the flights were rarely full. They also believed the reduction in the service would inconvenience them.

Keith Wigginton, aged 50, of Westbury-on-Trym, said: "I have two homes, one in Bristol and one in America, so I have been using this flight quite often since it was launched. I think it is ridiculous that they have decided to cut them already without giving it a proper run."

Robin White, aged 47, now lives in San Francisco but uses the flight to return to visit his parents in Chew Magna.

He said: "The first time I used it I thought that it was fantastic. The flight wasn't really full but I think it will be with time because it is so convenient."

Gareth Williams, aged 21, of Redland, said: "I am working in New York at the moment and have just flown back for my graduation. I had three seats to myself when I flew back because the plane was not that full."

Ellen Stokes, aged 64, of Brislington, said: "I use the flight to visit my daughter and grandchildren in New York.

"I thought it was brilliant when it started because it meant you could spend just six hours travelling from door to door rather than having to go all the way to London."

Bristol International's aviation development director Tony Halwood insisted the flight was well-used.

He said: "July flights are proving very popular with both business and leisure passengers.

"From November, Continental's service will operate five times a week to New York, in common with Belfast, which was also launched in May 2005."

The service launched in May, with economy tickets from £333.70 and business from £1,168.70

Chris
I'm sure that still leaves enough flights to choose from for us though. I've yet to find the economy tickets at that price though!!!![msncry]

Karen

chrisflowers
24-07-2005, 12:09
Thanks for that Karen.
It also explains why they are being economical with the planes and why we cannot have a wide bodied aircraft.
I only hope that more people start to use the flight, especially through the winter months
I was going to be leaving on a Thursday in November, but now I will have to have a shorter holiday then as I cannot take any more time off work.
[msncry][msnscared]

chrisflowers
24-07-2005, 17:12
Following the above posting, I tried to book online with Continental for Thursday Nov 10th and it allowed me to do so with no error messages.

Maybe they will watch to see how the bookings go?

Clare R
25-07-2005, 00:31
Please use the Bristol/Newark service as much as possible - prices are coming down, and sometime later this year they are cutting the service from 7 days a week to 5 days a week. Local Bristol paper also states that free bottles of wine are being dished out so that must be getting desperate for passengers.

Clare R
25-07-2005, 13:32
Martha's Harbour - we tend to use Expedia to book the flights with, site is easy enough to use and prices can be good.

Robert5988
25-07-2005, 14:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Martha's Harbour - we tend to use Expedia to book the flights with, site is easy enough to use and prices can be good.[/quote]

A lot of airlines are guaranteeing that the cheapest fares on their own flights will be obtained from their own web site.

They are fighting back against expedia/opodo/last minute etc - and although I always check, AA for instance are always the cheapest.

Another thing to note is that most cheaper fares booked through expedia/opodo/last minute etc do not get the full air miles credited.

It is worth checking Continental web site.