PDA

View Full Version : Delta Manchester - Atlanta

Tonish
04-07-2005, 18:16
I'm flying Delta in about 3 weeks and came across this on an airline review site:

I travel frequently on Delta from ATL to Manchester UK. The same aircraft, an ageing B767-300, is continually used on this flight. The interior of the aircraft is in very poor condition; many of the seat cushions have "sagged" to the extent where the seat frame can be felt through them, the IFE is useless and, together with the well documented problems such as no free alcoholic drinks, no comfort kit, etc., result in a very poor quality of service. Will fly BA (even though it adds a leg via Gatwick) in future, new aircraft, friendlier staff, much better!

I've got my seats prebooked and unfortunately, with 6 of us, I just can't afford an upgrade. Has anyone else flown this route recently and any comments? I also can't find a proper seat pitch - it just gives a "range", but in economy, an inch is a lot.

Tonish

floridageoff
05-07-2005, 12:57
Try this link [website link edited] it states Delta's seat pitch in economy is 32 inches. I must admit that the last time we flew back from Atlanta on Delta I had the most uncomfortable seat ever and ended up with back ache for most of the flight. However we are flying with them again in November as we will then have enough air miles for a free flight or an upgrade (might treat ourselves and go for the upgrade!)

Frosty
05-07-2005, 13:25
I don't understand the quote regarding "The same aircraft, an ageing B767-300" me and the wife flew this route about 2 years ago and we had a 777 aircraft which was great. This was outbound and return, so unless we were lucky its not always a 767.

floridageoff
05-07-2005, 14:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
I don't understand the quote regarding "The same aircraft, an ageing B767-300" me and the wife flew this route about 2 years ago and we had a 777 aircraft which was great. This was outbound and return, so unless we were lucky its not always a 767.
[/quote]That is correct, unfortunately Delta have now gone back to using a 767 from Manchester to Altanta

06-07-2005, 02:26
I saw it land the other day and it was a 777 so I will keep a look out for you[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

jovi
07-07-2005, 20:29
Hi, don't get me started about Delta[V] We flew with them last year from manchester to Atlanta, I have not flown much but my what a wreck! Leg room was ok, food was yuk[xx(] Stewardesses were rude:( and well the condition of the plane was not too good (on the inside) We walked through, what I would think was first class to get to our seats, these were leather and in a very tatty state ( lots of rips) our inflight entertainment didn't work, head phone sockets were broken! Our flight with Delta was just part of a holiday where things went wrong from the beginning, worked out ok in the end, but still had to fly back with Delta[msncry] Won't be using them again, however cheap they are. [:I]

Tonish
08-07-2005, 04:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Hi, don't get me started about Delta We flew with them last year from manchester to Atlanta, I have not flown much but my what a wreck! Leg room was ok, food was yuk Stewardesses were rude and well the condition of the plane was not too good (on the inside) We walked through, what I would think was first class to get to our seats, these were leather and in a very tatty state ( lots of rips) our inflight entertainment didn't work, head phone sockets were broken! Our flight with Delta was just part of a holiday where things went wrong from the beginning, worked out ok in the end, but still had to fly back with Delta Won't be using them again, however cheap they are. [/quote]

If only they were cheap! 3 adults, 3 kids £4,087. (Admittedly, that included a car, which I've since cancelled).

Anyway, as regards the above comments and others I've read elsewhere, it doesn't look like a great experience.I suppose I can put up with grumpy stewardesses, rubbish food and tatty seats. As long as I've got a little bit of legroom and I'm on the outward bound bit of the journey I daresay I'll be fine. Might not be in the mood for it on the way back however.

If they let the inside get tatty, what does that say about the rest of the plane (safety-wise etc) or is there no correlation?...I hope.

Tonish

owen3
08-07-2005, 05:46
never mind the grumpy stewardesses they are grumpy old stewardesses, when we flew with them it was an old plane, when you asked for something, they tutted, as if it was to much for them. they need to retire, like the planes they use. barbara

08-07-2005, 10:33
You don't get that with British crew[msnwink]

jovi
08-07-2005, 15:05
Forgot to mention, that while we were sitting on the plane, we realised some steps were being put up to the engine on the wing[:O] screws were then undone with an electric screwdriver something was done[?] took about 20 mins or so, didn't give us much hope for our journey[B)] We did have a bit of turbulance[msncry] but thats nothing out of the ordinary, oh yes and I did forget to mention that the stewardesses were old as well as rude:(

Tonish
09-07-2005, 16:37
Thanks. You're really filling me with confidence...Not!

Tonish

Katys Grandad
09-07-2005, 17:02
They don't seem to have any problem filling flight so can't be all bad. I am a fan of their budget offspring 'Song' which has an interactive quiz in the seat back screen during the flight. Passes the time for me better than any other form of IFE.

ellie
09-07-2005, 17:44
Well we have had some very rude staff on Virgin, and they are British, aren't they? Lots of make up, blonde hair and short skirts, but PR skills? Very few!

My daughter's recent experience of Virgin was similar - when she and her friend rang for some water during the night, because they were becoming dehydrated, they rang the bell and an irate lady said 'DID YOU KNOW YOU HAD RUNG THE BELL???'turned it off and walked away.

Our flights with AA were great in April, very helpful friendly staff, not young (but come on, old doesn't necessarily mean grumpy!) but very happy to help. Made fresh tea for me several times during the flight, came whenever you rang the bell. On Virgin the staff simply disappeared, and we had so few offers of drinks in comparison.

But with all flights, it really does depend on the staff on the day - we have flown very cheap last minute charter several times and found these staff to be charming and helpful - but I am sure someone will have had a bad experience! [msnwink]

09-07-2005, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
Well we have had some very rude staff on Virgin, and they are British, aren't they? Lots of make up, blonde hair and short skirts, but PR skills? Very few!

My daughter's recent experience of Virgin was similar - when she and her friend rang for some water during the night, because they were becoming dehydrated, they rang the bell and an irate lady said 'DID YOU KNOW YOU HAD RUNG THE BELL???'turned it off and walked away.

Our flights with AA were great in April, very helpful friendly staff, not young (but come on, old doesn't necessarily mean grumpy!) but very happy to help. Made fresh tea for me several times during the flight, came whenever you rang the bell. On Virgin the staff simply disappeared, and we had so few offers of drinks in comparison.

But with all flights, it really does depend on the staff on the day - we have flown very cheap last minute charter several times and found these staff to be charming and helpful - but I am sure someone will have had a bad experience! [msnwink]
[/quote]

This would not have happened on one of my flights, bad inflight service is my pet hate[msnmad][msnmad] In my 20+ years as BA cabin crew I always treated my passengers how I would want to be treated[msnwink]

ellie
09-07-2005, 20:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

Originally posted by ellie

This would not have happened on one of my flights, bad inflight service is my pet hate[msnmad][msnmad] In my 20+ years as BA cabin crew I always treated my passengers how I would want to be treated[msnwink]

Lucy, that is great to hear, and I am sure that there are many like you. We should make sure you are on any flights we book then![msnwink]

marty
10-07-2005, 00:08
We've flown with several airlines and have experianced good and bad service. The Virgin stewardesses all look nice but are not the most helpfull- one was telling me she was going on a course to Know how to use a fire extingisher. She didn't quite grasp why[msnscared]Ironically the best stewardess award goes to Travel City Direct!!!
The Stewardwss was polite and helpfull and drinks Vodka neat! So she said. They may be older but I'd rather they know how to put a fire out than ask what the red thing is on the wall and does my bum look big in this[msnwink]

Tonish
11-07-2005, 15:47
In view of the above comments and others elsewhere, I just tried to upgrade tickets. 1 hour on the phone to both delta and expedia. Waste of time. Turns out you can't upgrade tickets. Have to cancel, remortgage house and re-book.

Pretty pathetic, really. If I try to upgrade on check in, would it be easier?

Tonish

Katys Grandad
11-07-2005, 18:45
It will depend on 2 factors:

1. Whether seats are available in the next class of service, and
2. The type of ticket you have

If Expedia and Delta are telling you that you can't upgrade your ticket than it's probably because you are on a discount fare. If that is the case then you won't be able to upgrade your tickets at the airport. As you have been advised, the only way is to cancel them (and you might not get anything back) and buy new tickets in Business Class. Your call, but it might not be worth it.

Why not see how it works out on the outbound and, if it is as bad as you fear, you can judge whether to pay for the 1-way Business fare on the return?

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.