PDA

View Full Version : Under construction

MsScarlett
03-07-2005, 18:19
Good Day Everyone!

I received a quote today from a villa owner whose rate is almost half of what everyone else is quoting for a two week stay. Their web site, which is not a personal website, indicates that the villa is under construction. While I have emailed the owner to ask about completion dates, and why the rate is lower than even their posted rates on the website, should I be concerned? It all seems too good to be true!

roger
03-07-2005, 18:34
Is the villa in question advertised on one of our 3 sites (www.orlandovillas.com, www.villasflorida.com or www.onlinefloridavillas.com)? If so, then we will have verified that the owner is the genuine owner (or owner to be) of the property. If you want to DM the ref number to me I can double-check for you.

Genie
03-07-2005, 18:48
it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not charge what is advertised on your site and will not in the future do them any favours once their bills start rolling in !! The only thing that might have happened ( I've done it myself ) is quoted for 1 week instead of 2

MsScarlett
03-07-2005, 18:59
Let me provide some additional infromation. The villa in question is advertised on onlinefloridavillas.com and the dates I inquired about are the last 2 weeks in December. The email response I received specified my exact dates and also specified 14 nights. The rate they quoted is the same as a weekly rate for most other villas I've researched. It all just seems too good to be true given that it's peak season.

chrizzy100
03-07-2005, 19:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MsScarlett
Let me provide some additional infromation. The villa in question is advertised on onlinefloridavillas.com and the dates I inquired about are the last 2 weeks in December. The email response I received specified my exact dates and also specified 14 nights. The rate they quoted is the same as a weekly rate for most other villas I've researched. It all just seems too good to be true given that it's peak season.
[/quote]

Maybe they have building work going on around them.......I know people will sometimes give a discount because of that........

Katiesvilla
03-07-2005, 20:01
Maybe they have made a mistake and only qouted one week rental instead of the rate for 14 nights?

We did this in our early days a few times.

Ana
03-07-2005, 21:39
I'm sure the owner will get back to you and answer any queries & questions about prices and dates.
You say they are quoting you the sort of prices you'd expect in Low Season? This may simply be down to the fact that they haven't yet thought about peak rate charging, or as a concession for any potential building work around they are offering peak weeks at low season rates.
You can rest assured that if it's on here it's verified [msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

ellie
03-07-2005, 23:15
There are going to be a lot of re-possessed homes if people decide to give away their homes at such stupid rates. Christmas is one of the most popular times of the year and commands good rates. Unless you ask why he is giving away his villa and essentially subsidising your holiday you will never know.

CarolAnn
04-07-2005, 00:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katiesvilla
Maybe they have made a mistake and only qouted one week rental instead of the rate for 14 nights?

We did this in our early days a few times.
[/quote]

I am afraid I have managed to do just that myself, and quite recently. So let us hope that it was purely a typo from the owner and that Msscarlett, you find the home that suits your villa requirements:)

MsScarlett
04-07-2005, 01:01
I heard back from the owner, she did, in fact, quote for one week instead of 2. However, she did state that she would honour the rate she quoted. (which I thought was very admirable) She also confirmed that the villa would be completed by October.[clap]

Steve and Dawn
04-07-2005, 01:24
Hmmmm..... I don't wish to be rude, but she can't afford to make many more mistakes like that.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-07-2005, 02:05
Just what I was thinking. [msnsad].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve and Dawn
Hmmmm..... I don't wish to be rude, but she can't afford to make many more mistakes like that.
[/quote]

IanandSarah
04-07-2005, 02:07
No, but at least it was an honest approach to sorting out a genuine mistake. Better than letting the guest down, but still costly for the owner.
Ian and Sarah

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-07-2005, 02:11
An honest approach would be to admit you are human and have made a mistake. It's total madness to sell peak dates at half price and makes absolutely no sense to me at all as they will be paying a significant part of the guests stay.

I would just politely explain I have made a terrible mistake and that I'm afraid there is no way I can rent my home for that rate. I'm sure the guest will understand us owners are only human and it happens from time to time.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by IanandSarah
No, but at least it was an honest approach to sorting out a genuine mistake. Better than letting the guest down, but still costly for the owner.
Ian and Sarah
[/quote]

Genie
04-07-2005, 02:58
That's exactly what I did, apologise, explain that I had made a mistake ( had a senior moment ! )and that was that. Until a deposit had been paid and the booking form competed I'm afraid I would not have been able to offer a half price holiday to anyone. Even if I had lost that booking as everyone has said Christmas would easily have been booked again. No offence to you MsScarlett but I think you might just have been one very lucky person.

ctgirlscout
04-07-2005, 04:10
I have to agree, I would have just admitted I made a mistake (and I have done this in the past) and sent the correct rate. It would be financial suicide to rent your peak weeks at half price. There are few enough weeks in the year where we can make a small profit, and Christmas is one of those.

chrisflowers
04-07-2005, 10:43
John

Shouldn't this post be under the advertisers forum, rather than in OPEN SESSION in the guests forum???

domster
04-07-2005, 11:27
Nothing in life that seems too good to be true actually is. There is always a catch.

I would have done what everyone else says, admit I have made a mistake.

CarolAnn
04-07-2005, 12:27
I admitted my mistake and apologised that I had mis quoted. I didn't get the booking, but I just couldn't justify a 50% reduction. [msneek]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-07-2005, 12:31
It was a guest who asked the question and was given help and advice and so I'm happy for the post to be here. Obviously if other guests read the original post and think there is a way of getting owners to rent for half price, we have to be seen to be giving the true facts as no-one can afford to do that as an owner - you'd lose your house very quickly if you took that line with guests. I'm sure guests do not want to see owners foreclosed on anymore than the owners do themselves.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisflowers
John

Shouldn't this post be under the advertisers forum, rather than in OPEN SESSION in the guests forum???

[/quote]

ellie
04-07-2005, 16:03
I think most of us could admit to a senior moment occassionally,[msnembarrased] but until a booking form and deposit had been completed then I think this poor lady was VERY generous to give away a free week at Christmas.

If I had been renting this villa from her I would have felt very awkward about that. I am sure that she would have had no trouble renting it out at the correct price.

I think Carol's decision to re-quote was the correct one, even though she didn't get the booking. At the 'quote' stage both parties are free to go elsewhere.

Out of interest, MsScarlett, would you still have booked the villa at the correct price, or only at the reduced rate? Was price the only consideration?

chrizzy100
04-07-2005, 20:34
I think the owner was very kind.......but a free day or maybe a weeks free pool heating would of been nice if the owner felt really bad about it....but really if nothing was signed at that price.....a sorry would of been enough.....maybe it was a new owner who just needs to toughen up a bit.....[msnsmile2]
FL villas are very good value for money....I don't think you would get a holiday home anywhere else in the USA for the money......

lorraine51
04-07-2005, 21:34
I too would have admitted to a senior moment but come clean and quote the proper price-too many bills arrive on the door mat not to and Christmas being a peak time when a little extra comes in just cannot be given away.

chrizzy100
04-07-2005, 21:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lorraine51
I too would have admitted to a senior moment but come clean and quote the proper price-too many bills arrive on the door mat not to and Christmas being a peak time when a little extra comes in just cannot be given away.
[/quote]

Don't you just hate getting the bills EVERY month....to me its like I get a bill for something every day......[msncry][msncry]

MsScarlett
05-07-2005, 04:02
whew!
Look what I started....[msnoo]
Let me say that I have not yet made any booking with that owner or any other. I simply sent an email to an owner to question the rates she quoted and to ask a few additional questions as I have never rented a villa before. The owner stated that she had made a mistake and quoted one week rather than two but that she would honour the rate that she quoted. What should I have said? No, that's ok, charge me full price? It was the owners decision to honor the rate she quoted. I certainly would not feel awkward staying in her home. Is price the deciding factor in my decision on which villa to rent? No way. We all know how much 2 weeks at Christmas should cost. I am fully prepared to pay that price toget the villa that best suites my needs. My search continues......

Carla
05-07-2005, 05:18
MsScarlett you are wonderful and I'm sure that you'll be a brilliant guest for some lucky owner. [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

You have certainly done nothing wrong. It's the owner's reaction to the incorrect quotation, that most cannot understand, not yours.

How lovely it is to read a guest write: "Is price the deciding factor in my decision on which villa to rent? No way. We all know how much 2 weeks at Christmas should cost. I am fully prepared to pay that price to get the villa that best suites my needs."

That's music to our ears and all that we ask from our guests.

You know what you want, have a good idea of what it should cost you, and you'll book the home that best suits your family's needs, expecting to pay a fair price for that home.

I hope that you have a really wonderful vacation in Florida this Christmas.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
05-07-2005, 11:54
MsScarlett
I must agree with Carla how refreshing it is to see your answer of your realistic attitude to villa selection. I'd love to see your families reaction when they walk in if you've not stayed in a villa before, they are going to be speechless and I'm sure you're going to be considered extremely popular for choosing them such a fab place for a holiday.

Wherever you decide to stay, I hope you and your family have a fantastic trip.

Magical Dreams
05-07-2005, 14:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MsScarlett
whew!
Look what I started....[msnoo]
Let me say that I have not yet made any booking with that owner or any other. I simply sent an email to an owner to question the rates she quoted and to ask a few additional questions as I have never rented a villa before. The owner stated that she had made a mistake and quoted one week rather than two but that she would honour the rate that she quoted. What should I have said? No, that's ok, charge me full price? It was the owners decision to honor the rate she quoted. I certainly would not feel awkward staying in her home. Is price the deciding factor in my decision on which villa to rent? No way. We all know how much 2 weeks at Christmas should cost. I am fully prepared to pay that price toget the villa that best suites my needs. My search continues......
[/quote]

MsScarlett

Your intentions are honourable, and as others have said, you will be the most popular person in your family.

With so many beautiful homes available for rent, your search will not be an easy one. [msnwink]

We are all here to help you choose the one that is perfect for you and your family with out pushing our own homes on to you.

You will then soon have a short list of villas that you feel are suitable then hopefully you will have made the right choice.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect home for Christmas.

[xmas2]

Ana
05-07-2005, 16:24
That is so great to hear MsScarlett - where you stay is a big factor in the enjoyment of your holiday - and compared to what you pay out on flights, park tickets etc, the cost of paying a little extra for the perfect home is hardly anything.

Good luck with your search - I'm sure you will have a wonderful time at Christmas [xmas1]

ellie
05-07-2005, 16:30
That is really great, MsScarlett. I hope that you find a villa that suits you in all respects, and that you have a great time in Florida at Christmas. It is good to hear a guest appreciating how important choosing the right villa, for them, is, and for understanding the value of our homes.

Have a wonderful holiday and don't forget to ask all these 'experts' if you need any advice on Orlando, the parks etc etc. We are all so obsessed with Florida that we just love to talk about it! Actually, shutting us up is more of a problem!
:D

ahagan
05-07-2005, 18:27
I echo comments already made on here. Its good to see that you are willing to go for quality rather than price. Good for you. I hope you find a lovely villa for your vacation. Good luck with your search.

shenon
05-07-2005, 18:33
good luck karen with your search:D:D:D

Cruella DeVilla
06-07-2005, 00:56
I have to agree it is refreshing to hear your views Karen[clap]