PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

SteveDonovan
18-04-2003, 00:04
Question for anyone living in Florida relating to Health Insurance. I know we are into the big league when we talk about healthcare costs for those living in U.S but I just wondered what sort of amounts we are talking about for a family.

Or as an example what monthly $ cost a 40 year old in good health would be looking at ? Any knowledge/guidance would be much appreciated.

pbensur
18-04-2003, 00:27
It costs us about $600 per month to insure our family of 5 (husband is self-employed). You'd probably be looking at about $200 to insure only yourself. You must really shop around when looking for health insurance and really consider the benefits they are offering you carefully. Each plan can be completely different from the next - you need to consider which will serve your own personal needs the best. Most employers offer health insurance benefits, so unless you are planning to be self-employed, you may not need to concern yourself with this.

SteveDonovan
18-04-2003, 01:05
Yes its Self Employment for me so hence the enquiry. As you say it seems that price is just one factor, level and type of cover are obviously very important. what variations of plan can there be?

pbensur
18-04-2003, 01:43
Different plans will have different annual deductibles, office visit co-pays and prescription drug coverage. Obviously, the more you pay for the coverage, the less out-of-pocket expense you will incur over the course of the year. You say you are healthy, so less coverage may work for you right now. Still - you must evaluate your situation. Even healthy people can suffer from annoyances such as allergies, migraines or skin conditions. If you take a prescription drug on a regular basis, when you are shopping around, ask them if their plan covers that drug. Your needs will change with time as well. We go out and comparison shop our insurance coverage about every 1 to 2 years just to make sure we are getting the best deal and the coverage we need.

I forgot to mention before that we live in the US, but not in Florida. I imagine, though, that the rates I mentioned would be about the same there!!