PDA

View Full Version : Driving License?

Curly Wurly
01-07-2005, 17:29
Can someone please tell me for driving in Florida - do you need to take the paper part of your license or will the pink plastic bit be enough?

LiesaAnna
01-07-2005, 17:50
there has been a topic on this i will look for it
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_21509.asp

Tonish
02-07-2005, 01:00
I'm pretty sure you've got to take both - although they don't always ask to see the paper bit at the rental desk

Tonish

petenamy
03-07-2005, 13:50
Best taking both, just to be sure.

SunLover
03-07-2005, 19:01
And as will all documents like this, don't forget to take photocopies too, just in case you lose the originals

KevinT
03-07-2005, 23:26
I always take both , although I've never been asked for the paper part as the plastic version seems to satisfy most people. I think that you are supposed to take both.

Colin
12-07-2005, 03:40
What if you only have the old style paper only version?

Is it still valid in US?

Colin

Kazzie
12-07-2005, 04:38
Yes Colin, It must be still valid as we have used this style for last few years, the last visit being March this year. Have never been questioned about it at car hire desk and although it doesnt have your photo, your passport does.

Karen

orlando novice
10-08-2005, 23:01
My husband only has the old style driving licence and it also has our old address on it, does this pose a problem..........[:O]

sunseeker
11-08-2005, 01:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlando novice
My husband only has the old style driving licence and it also has our old address on it, does this pose a problem..........[:O]
[/quote]

Not sure about Florida but it is an offence not to inform the DVLA of any changes ie:- change of address or name.

Dave

BarryR
12-08-2005, 19:30
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by orlando novice
My husband only has the old style driving licence and it also has our old address on it, does this pose a problem..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you'd find this is actually illegal in the UK so he should get a new one ASAP as Dave quite correctly points out.

Barry

SunLover
12-08-2005, 19:45
I believe you have 30 days in which to notify DVLC of your change of address.

After that, it is illegal.

J & O
15-08-2005, 21:48
I would suggest having a photo driving license. My husband has one and uses it without any difficulty when making car hire arrangemens and when ID is required. Some stores will now ask for your ID up to the age 40 !!! This takes the legal age limit of 21 a bit far, but they could lose their license if found to be serving alcohol to anyone under the age of 21. By having a photo ID, you don't have to carry your passport.

Many restaurants will ask for your photo ID. My daughter, aged 25, was asked for a photo ID when entering the Disney's Boardwalk Nightclub and wasn't allowed in with only a paper license. Hard lesson learned. It is much safer to carry your photo ID and keep your passport safe.
Olga

Kimmyp
13-05-2006, 16:53
If there are very old driving offences on the pink paper licence will this affect the car hire or anything else for that matter?

Kimmyp
13-05-2006, 16:54
Also do you have to get this International Driver's Permit from the AA that I have read about?

florida4sun
13-05-2006, 17:02
Nope.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kimmyp
Also do you have to get this International Driver's Permit from the AA that I have read about?
[/quote]