PDA

View Full Version : 10 rules of airline etiquette

01-07-2005, 01:29
10 Rules of Airplane Etiquette

Getting to the airport early and going through the security strip tease is hassle enough. When you're on the plane, you want peace and, if you're lucky enough to win the baby lotto as the proud parents whisk their newborn several dozen rows behind you, quiet.

That said, here are 10 rules of airplane etiquette once you've tightened your seatbelt and stashed your carry-on:

1. Mind Your Space
Just because you've had trouble saying no to Wendy's doesn't mean you have to remind the person next to you throughout the flight. Keep those flabby forearms in your space and those hubcab knees in front of you. Nobody wants body contact on a flight, unless it's your significant other.

2. They Make Paperbacks, Don't They?
Never bring a broadsheet newspaper (Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe) to read on the plane. It's OK in the terminal, but violates the personal space rule (see No. 1). If you must read a newspaper, bring a tabloid (NY Post, Newsday). A magazine or book is even better.

3. It's Not a Tea Party
Some people look forward to meeting strangers and befriending them on a plane. Others don't. Learn the difference. If your conversation seems one-way, take the hint. Some people would rather use three hours to plow through a novel or get some work done instead of exchanging shallow conversation.

4. If You're a Bathroom Person, Take an Aisle Seat
You've downed six Diet Cokes and two cups of coffee and you've requested a window seat. Not a good idea. There's nothing more annoying than waking from a nap a half dozen times to let fountain-boy through. Especially on those tight United flights.

5. You're Not the Flight DJ
If you're going to listen to music on your Walkman or MP3 player, keep the volume down. Not everyone enjoys 50 Cent and Nelly. The volume is louder than you think, especially if the headset is not snug to your ear.

6. Rubbernecking, Part 1
If you have an aisle seat, don't lean across your fellow passengers to look out the window. Conversely, if you're in the window seat on the right side of the plane and the pilot says there's an excellent view of Cape Canaveral on the left, don't try to catch a glimpse. This definitely violates Rule No. 1.

7. Rubbernecking, Part 2
Don't read the magazine or book that the woman sitting next to you is reading. They notice and it's annoying, trust me. Worse yet, don't comment on the article or story. That violates Rule No. 3 in a big way.

8. It's Called Deodorant
It's a shame this even needs to be mentioned, but it does. Please, please remember to bathe or shower before your flight. These are tight quarters and the only air is recirculated cabin air. Even a 55-minute flight can be uncomfortable if you smell like you just ran a 10K wearing a leather jacket.

9. Kids are Kids
Children are excited on a plane, and it's not unusual for a youngster to cry, whine and show off the power of his lungs. But parents, please keep your kids' feet and hands off the back of the seat in front of them. It's annoying and migraine-inducing to have your seat kicked, punched and slapped for three hours while mommy and daddy think it's cute that junior is entertaining himself.

10. You'll Get Off the Plane, Promise
When the plane lands, you don't need to stand if you're more than five rows back. Most airlines don't even begin unloading for five minutes, then it takes at least 30 seconds for those first five rows to move. So if you're in Seat 37D, there's no reason for your backside to be in someone's face the minute the plane pulls up to the hangar. Also, just to review, the rows empty from front to back. If you're in Seat 37D and the woman in Seat 36D is a little slow pulling down her luggage, don't leapfrog past her. That's just rude.

Follow these 10 rules and you'll make flying a better experience for each of us. You're now free to move about the cabin (unless you're the guy violating Rule No. 4).

[msnwink]

01-07-2005, 01:33
The Top ten(+2) poor etiquette things people do unknowingly :

Grabbing the back of your seat as they get up or down disturbing you while you're enjoying a nap, reading or drinking hot coffee
Reclining the seat in front of you with great force without notice, or a cautionary look before hitting you in the forehead or crushing your lap top computer screen.
Hogging the arm rests, and sometimes taking up a part of your seat as well
Playing their walkman so loud that although we can't hear the words or make out the song we begin to doubt the description - personal electronic devices
Leaving the lavatory looking like the airplane just hit severe turbulence
Standing infront of the movie screen
Checking-in at the check-in desk, then again at the gate despite being told that if they have boarding passes they can get right onboard
Failing to understand that OCCUPIED means that there is somebody inside terrified that they'll be exposed to all if you manage to break in
Asking what drinks are on the drinks cart
Coming through security with metal in their pockets, around their necks, fingers, ankles, ears, noses or wherever
When disembarking, stopping on the jetway right outside the airplane
door to wait for their mother/father/spouse or other companion, thus
causing a bottle neck
Children that find great pleasure in kicking the seat in front of them -- this is very irritating!!!

LiesaAnna
01-07-2005, 01:34
[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

well done julie aka lucy!!!!!!
loved them all!!!!!!!!....................................... ......................not[msnwink]

01-07-2005, 01:35
The Top ten poor etiquette things people do knowingly :

Changing the baby's diaper in the middle seat of a crowded plane
Standing up immediately before the seat belt sign goes off in an attempt to get off the plane quicker and finding 100 people doing the same thing. Note - A computer simulation shows that the plane will empty quicker if people stood up and disembarked in ascending seat order.
Standing behind a flight attendant working a cart hoping that it will miraculously disappear, so they can get by
Put their carry on baggage up front so they don't have to carry it back, so those up front have to carry their's to the back
Complain if you move their bag in the overhead locker -- "check-it! if you don't want it touched by other passengers"
Yell at the flight attendants and other personnel about weather delays! Yep it's their fault.
Passing wind!!!!
Repeatedly talk to you while you're working, reading a great novel, or using a personal electronic device
Pretending that they're world travelers and experts about air travel
Cutting lines at check in like they have some divine right.... that's not what it looks like to us standing in line

LiesaAnna
01-07-2005, 01:48
love every one of them!!!![msnwink][clap][clap][clap]

Snapper
01-07-2005, 02:14
A quick question?

After a really long flight, say the 14 hour trip back from Hong Kong, when you are totally knackered and then half asleep and bleery eyed you push your trolley out through the green channel into arrivals.

When someone who has just arrived after a 30 minute flight on the shuttle is met by all their relatives who make like they haven't seen them for the last 10 years and block the whole space in every direction only 4 feet from the automatic arrivals doors.

Is it OK to run them over simply because you couldn't be bothered mustering up the energy to steer the trolley, even though if you really tried you could stop or avoid them but it just seems like running them over is the right answer.

LiesaAnna
01-07-2005, 02:33
Steve i would run them over anyway!! just cos!!![msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
01-07-2005, 03:00
Definately Steve, must be etiquette!

Great list Lucy/Julie.[msnsmile]

Carla
01-07-2005, 03:07
Great lists Lucy. Well done.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

John Rocke
01-07-2005, 04:19
A bit of etiquette and child control around baggage reclaim wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Trying to swing 25kg in a case over the head of a dummy sucking unattended child as it passes by on the conveyor belt is not the way to limber up after a 9 hour flight. And i am talking about the case on the conveyor, not the child.

And how about NOT standing with empty trolleys right at the entrance to the Customs Hall, so that nobody can pass by.

jr ( it's late, I'm tired and I am getting grumpy just thinking about Gatwick baggage reclaim).

Katys Grandad
01-07-2005, 08:49
My personal annoyance is people using mobile phones until the very last moment or when the flight attendant has to insist it is switched off (often with some difficulty). You just know that the moment the plane touches the runway the phone will go back on with people feeling a compelling need to call somebody to say they've just touched down.

I dread the day that mobile calls will be allowed during flight. They have completely ruined the few pleasures of rail travel for me.

E. Cosgrove
01-07-2005, 11:12
Haven't we all just been there done that read the book and bought the T shirt. People should have to sign something to say they will abide by these rules when they buy an airline ticket!!!

julieanne
01-07-2005, 13:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Rocke
A bit of etiquette and child control around baggage reclaim wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Trying to swing 25kg in a case over the head of a dummy sucking unattended child as it passes by on the conveyor belt is not the way to limber up after a 9 hour flight. And i am talking about the case on the conveyor, not the child.

[/quote]

[clap] [clap] [clap]
Well said John - I hate this too. I usually find it difficult to get cases off the belt - could do without the "little darlings" running around or worse still sitting on the belt [msnmad]

sundowner
01-07-2005, 14:46
I must be the perfect passenger on flights and arrivals as I abide by all the rules. Simply because I believe in the old saying "treat others as you would like to be treated yourself".

Having said that, it must be really annoying for some that I cannot sit for more than 1 hour tops as I have a back injury and need to move around. So to all those people - sorry, but it can't be helped otherwise it would look as though rigamortis had set in when I try to leave the plane.

Rich-n-Ang
01-07-2005, 14:58
The one that always amazes me is Number 10 above - where do the people think they're going ?

Similarly, when boarding the plane why do people have to queue at the desk with boarding card in hand 15 minutes before being called, you have an allocated seat number what’s the rush, your going to be in your seat for long enough and the plane is going nowhere until everyone is on it.

Next time sit back and spot them its quite entertaining to watch people trying to out queue each other !!

Rich-n-Ang
01-07-2005, 15:13
We flew to Bulgaria in March from Manchester, when the flight was called to a departure gate we strolled along and sure enough when we got there half the passengers were queing at the desk so we took a seat next to the adjacent gate (which was empty), we then overheard the ground crew saying that the announcer had called the flight to the wrong gate (they should have called them to the one we were at), well you can just imagine the scene when the announcement was made for the correct gate, it was like the charge of the light brigade and oh so entertaining to watch – even the ground crew were chuckling to themselves:D:D:D

LiesaAnna
01-07-2005, 15:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
We flew to Bulgaria in March from Manchester, when the flight was called to a departure gate we strolled along and sure enough when we got there half the passengers were queing at the desk so we took a seat next to the adjacent gate (which was empty), we then overheard the ground crew saying that the announcer had called the flight to the wrong gate (they should have called them to the one we were at), well you can just imagine the scene when the announcement was made for the correct gate, it was like the charge of the light brigade and oh so entertaining to watch – even the ground crew were chuckling to themselves:D:D:D
[/quote]

maybe they should do that more often just for entertainment????[laugh][laugh][laugh]
it annoys us as well, hubby always says you wont get there any sooner!!!

KevinT
01-07-2005, 18:50
Lucy,
It would be great if they published your 10 commandments of etiquette in all of the inflight magazines ( & and some of the other suggestions too!!) :D

01-07-2005, 20:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
Lucy,
It would be great if they published your 10 commandments of etiquette in all of the inflight magazines ( & and some of the other suggestions too!!) :D
[/quote]

Like it has been said they should send them out with the tickets!!!

Seriously though if things continue to get worse with passengers behaviour I would not be surprised if they did!!!![msnwink]

Snapper
01-07-2005, 21:22
I think it was at Geneva one year when we were skiing that all our skis came out on the same conveyor with the rest of the baggage rather that on the ski belt. We had no problems at all on that trip getting all our luggage. It's amazing the space that you create for yourself once you have a pair of skis over your shoulder and you start swinging them around. I might take them to Florida in future to see if the same happens. [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
05-07-2005, 06:54
Julie,
They are great observations and we can relate to every one of them:D. We often wonder how the crew still stay friendly after 4 hours in the air with some of these folks[?]

djdigitald
05-07-2005, 13:19
Very good tips there Julie/Lucy/Mach 2 [clap]

rebekah.g
05-07-2005, 18:51
Hi lucy

only just read the rules they were brilliant and so very true. Mind you I agree that they should print them in the magazines. Sadly some people do seem to treat the cabin staff as slaves and speak unkindly to them. I find it very offensive and in alot of cases the way the staff react in a friendly and polite manner is excellent, despite being treated badly. they work extremely hard and one of my neighbours has just become a member of the cabin crew of an airline and said as much as she enjoys her job its very tiring. People should remember that and make their job easier for everyone concerned and for fellow passengers to act in a manner which they would like to be treated by staff and passengers alike.

rebekah..............hey I wouldnt of minded you being on our flight in one month and 1 week now.........cant wait

Robert5988
05-07-2005, 19:58
Lucy,
Another rule would be for those passengers who have a bag slung over their shoulder when boarding and brush it against everyone sitting in an aisle seat – usually at head height.

In the spirit of this thread perhaps you could give 10 Commandments for Aircrew! – from a passenger’s perspective.

06-07-2005, 02:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Lucy,
Another rule would be for those passengers who have a bag slung over their shoulder when boarding and brush it against everyone sitting in an aisle seat – usually at head height.

In the spirit of this thread perhaps you could give 10 Commandments for Aircrew! – from a passenger’s perspective.

[/quote]

I think you should then I can comment on them[msnwink]

Robert5988
06-07-2005, 12:19
I'll start:

Give the Captain/First Officer a decent microphone/pa system and teach them not to mumble. Lots of announcements are inaudible.

LiesaAnna
06-07-2005, 13:22
and some dont bother! a couple of "friendly" words then nothing!
on one flight we had one that was very friendly very informative! maybe the other was suffering from travel sickness?[laugh]

06-07-2005, 23:35
I'll start:

Give the Captain/First Officer a decent microphone/pa system and teach them not to mumble. Lots of announcements are inaudible.
[/quote]

Most of them are very shy[msnwink]

Robert5988
06-07-2005, 23:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Most of them are very shy[/quote]

Only when pursued by the cabin staff – sometimes even if it is the female cabin staff!!

Clare R
08-07-2005, 00:21
Reclining seats are my biggest bug bear. On overnight flights there might be some excuse for reclinging the seat a couple of notches but I always ask the person in front of me to let me know before they put their seat back and always, always insist that it is upright during meal times.

08-07-2005, 01:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Most of them are very shy[/quote]

Only when pursued by the cabin staff – sometimes even if it is the female cabin staff!!
[/quote]

Robert what do you mean exactly[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

flyrr100
15-07-2005, 17:44
I'm a Orlando based Captain. This is my list.

1. You've been sitting at the gate for an hour or two, why must you have to go to the bathroom the second you board?

2. Why must you ask if this aircraft is going to Nashville as you board? You've been sitting at the Nashville gate for a while. And you heard the announcement for the Nashville flight!

3. The flight attendant's are there to save your a$$, not kiss it!

4. When the pilot thumps the aircraft down it doesn't mean he's a bad pilot. It means it's windy out there and all he wants to do is get the aircraft on the deck to avoid any windshear.

5. All passengers should take a written test when they purchase their tickets.

6. All passengers will submit a fashiion photo when they purchase their tickets.

7. What must you need to talk about on your cel phones as you get on board an aircraft? How did you get by in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s............?

8. There really is no 'better' place to sit in an aircraft to avoid turbulance. Sit away from the lavs to avoid the smell maybe!

9. When I turn on the fasten seatbelt sign, it means it's going to be bumpy. Please don't get up when it's on. You'll only hurt yourself!

10. If we leave the gate and I say "folks we have a small delay and we're going to be sitting here for a moment or two". It means we have a 'ground stop' into Orlando due to weather and it's going to be at least 30 minutes before we can leave. But it's a pain to go back to the gate and let you all off because when we are released to Orlando half of you have dissapeared and we end up taking an additional 45 minute delay to get back out there!

Welcome aboard! [msnsmile2]

sundowner
15-07-2005, 17:55
Great reply Jeff, you tell em (and me as I am a passenger not a pilot).

I particularly like 3 and 6 anad can fully understand your reasoning for 10.

I am always aware of the fact that, no matter how tired I feel, those poor flight attendants are probably more tired after running around for us passengers for 8 hours and having to smile and be polite to everyone on board. I used to work in a 'customer facing' role for years, and it can wear you down at the best of times.

Hooray for all flight attendants, pilots and airport staff that get us to our destination. [clap][clap][clap]

carolmc
17-07-2005, 03:59
I'll second that[clap] our "future" Daughter-in-Law is a flight attendant...and she has just read Jeff and Amy Stephens post - she reckons all the points should be displayed on the tickets[msnwink]

17-07-2005, 14:34
A friend of mine was once told by a first class passenger that she 'came with the ticket' his son was being very bad mannered towards her - I won't tell you where she put his steak before he ate it[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

LiesaAnna
17-07-2005, 15:27
its great jeff!!!
i would like to meet you!![msnwink]

Maz
17-07-2005, 17:17
I must remember to wear something stylish, brush my hair and put my lippy on if Jeff is piloting a flight I am on. My standards do slip when I'm on me hols. The Orlando humidity doesn't do a lot for my hair.

Debbie

John Rocke
17-07-2005, 21:45
How about the trainers you wore around the parks for two weeks are not necessarily the ones to choose for a nine hour flight home!!

jr

ravtino
20-07-2005, 23:47
Just read all the posts, and I have to say that my pet hates are children kicking seat backs and pulling the top (yes I do have a child ) and reclinning seats argggggggggggggggggg, it is difficult when you are tall and this makes it worse, I wish they would make airlines put in more space - yes I know it costs money.