PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire

dannib
15-04-2003, 00:23
I have read a few posts on here regarding paying for petrol when you pick up your car hire, but am still abit confused!

can anybody help? do you HAVE to pay the company for it when you pick the car up?

any info would be great!

Matt
15-04-2003, 00:33
Dannib,

Usually the car comes already fuelled.

When you return the car, you must return it full otherwise the car hire company will charge you, and they will probably charge a few cents extra per gallon, therefore its cheaper to fill the car before returning it.

However, personally, I always take the car back with whatever is in it and just pay any extra charge.

Really it depends on the hire company, and the agreement that you take out at the time of pick-up.

I'm sure you'll get some more answers on this subject over the next few days.

Matt

phil moloney
15-04-2003, 01:48
the car co will tell you, its easier like that, if you do what suits them it may mean a shorter queue on return and less hassle for a few cents extra.

blott
15-04-2003, 02:18
It's not cents... it's dollars! Dollar charge something like $34 for a tank of petrol and you can fill an average tank up for less than $20!

bellaepovera
15-04-2003, 13:02
When you pick up the car you are given a full tank of gas and upon returning they expect the same. My advise is too fill it before returning as it cost soo much more if they fill it for you and i mean loads more..

steph_goodrum
15-04-2003, 13:29
We've always been told we have 2 options , if you pay for a tank of petrol on arrival then you take the car back close to empty, or you can take it back with a full tank of gas, but they will check your receipt to make sure you bought the gas within a couple of miles of the airport.
We always do the first as we always take the Gold option n the insurance which includes the tank of gas, other drivers. etc

If you pay for a tank of gas and then take it back with a full tank, and the next customers also prepays for the first tank of gas, the car hire company is selling on a tank of gas which it hasn't paid for which would at best be unethical, if not illegal.

K4LGB
15-04-2003, 13:49
I may be wrong but from my experience in Florida
If you buy the Alamo Gold or Dollar Platinum Options you are paying upfront for the fuel (and usually all additional drivers over age of 25). Last year at Sanford thru Dollar I was charged $44(including tax) for a full tank of fuel for a Dodge Intrepid and filled it at a gas station for $20 - returned it on fumes and haven't been billed so can only assume that this was okay!
The Gold/Platinum options are usually £10 extra per week but if you get your fuel for free it basically pays for itself.

I have to hire a lot in the UK thru my work where you tend to get them full return them full or else pay a hefty surcharge.

Phone Tony Lowe or Roger Parry from this Forums associated Car Hire company (http://www.orlandovillas.com/car_hire.asp) and I'm sure they will tell you exactly what the score is. I have used them for this upcoming trip and they were both VERY helpful and one of the cheapest I found on the web.:D

Cheers
Les

dannib
16-04-2003, 00:31
thanks so much for your help!

it's much clearer now, I just didn't want to go to the desk, not knowing what to expect, and them ripping us off because of it! (they seem to like people that aren't too sure what to do!)

Don't know where i'd be without info i've got from people on here!

Thanks again

steph_goodrum
16-04-2003, 01:12
I just looked at the Dollar booklet we last got (Christmas) and it says in there "as a courtesy all vehicles have a full tank of petrol for your convenience..........Remember to return the car empty as there will be no refunds for unused fuel"

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 00:08
My company hire a lot of vehicles for our guest through Dollar.
They are an excellent company, but they do try to get you to pay for their petrol upfront. Its a way for the desk agent to make some commision.

If i were you, I would tell them that you would rather just bring the car back full. You will save yourself about 50 cents a gallon that way!

The desk agent may not be happy with this, but at least you will save yourself a few dollars to blow in the United Plates of America! lol