PDA

View Full Version : Rollercoasters & Rides

athurstance
13-04-2003, 18:19
We visited Busch Gardens on Friday so I thought I would put up a brief review of some of the rides.
We started with Gwazi when the park opened - it is great fun riding an old fashioned wooden coaster but very bumpy.
Then onto Rhino Rally - brilliant. My 10 year old was desperate to get on a 'real' coaster so we headed to Kumba. He is only just tall enough to ride this and my younger son is too small so we took it in turns to ride with the eldest. This is a great coaster - really smooth and you seem to be on it for ages. Definitely a hit.
Congo River Rapids - my younger son loves this. He likes to see his dad getting wet.
Tidal Wave - we rode this then once we were absolutely soaked stood on the bridge to get even wetter. Good fun if its nice and warm. The drop looks far worse from the bridge than it actually is though.
The log flume is a classic.
Then of course onto Montu - saving the best for last. My DH took eldest son on first. I sat under the loop with our youngest then took my turn. It is a tremendous ride - really fast you get quite a buzz.
The best bit of the whole day - no queues. The longest we waited was 10 minutes for the log flume. All the big coaster were just walk on.
We hadn't been to Busch for 16 years but I would say it is definitely worth the trip - it took us about 1 hour from Esprit. We got the Fun Pass which gives you unlimited admission until the end of the year for the price of a 1 day ticket so we're heading back next week for another go.

esprit
13-04-2003, 18:40
Love the Gwazi. A real old fashioned coaster, The Montu is great the first time you do it. Never do it twice in succession. We did that on Superbowl Day when the park was empty. First time great, second time just a little ickky. Great ice Show too. The new Lighthouse attraction isnt open yet, is it?

Matt
13-04-2003, 19:31
Busch Gardens is one of my favorite parks. Every time I've been there has been hardly any standing in line at all. The coasters there are great, although I haven't been for the past couple of years. Last time I was there they were just finishing of Gwazi.

Of course, as with Sea World, you can get your FREE beer!!!!!!

I also like the Budweiser factory which is also on site, and also taking the factory tour.

athurstance
13-04-2003, 23:57
The lighthouse attraction has a big sign up saying 'Opening Summer 2003' - we were told it may be June. Looks good.
We never went before now because with both boys too small to ride the coasters it didn't seem worth it but we have been missing out - it will be on my list of must do parks now. We thought it was a fantastic day out.

mikewj
14-04-2003, 03:03
Busch is definitely one of the best parks for rides, and we think its certainly worth the trip.

However, we've noticed that its become a lot quieter since IOA opened in Orlando, probably because of the drive down I4. After all, IOA has a lot of coasters, and its in the middle of the other attractions.

Love Gwazi, even though the rattling wooden track usually gives me a headache, but the best ride has to be Congo River Rapids, especially on a hot summer's day.

And if you can trick someone into standing on the bridge at the Tidal Wave.........;)

chris
14-04-2003, 11:49
Are there any recommended hotels nearby for one night? We are thinking of flying into Tampa and doing Busch Gardens on the first day before driving to the villa.

K4LGB
14-04-2003, 14:48
We are staying at the Tampa Bay Hilton Garden Inn North - it is on the Busch Gardens approved list. $122 (including TAX) Room Rate and it is supposedly only three miles SE from Busch Gardens.

We stay on the 27th April and will be back in the UK on 5th May so I will lt you know what it was like quality/distance from park etc....

Going to the baseball on the Sunday afternoon and Busch Gardens on the Monday - hopefully manage an evening in the park on Sunday as well!
What time does Busch Gardens close - is it twilight or does it go on into the evening?

Cheers
Les

blott
14-04-2003, 16:17
The opening hours are on the website but for April are

Date Hours
April 1-4 9:00-7:00
April 5-6 9:00-7:30
April 7-11 9:00-7:00
April 12-13 9:00-7:30
April 14-19 9:00-8:30
April 20 9:00-7:30
April 21-27 9:00-8:30
April 28-30 9:30-7:00

although they do say they are liable to change. If you want to know for sure they suggest you telephone 1-888-800-5447

According to their website, the Haunted Lighthouse is due to open on 31 May 2003.

There's info on preferred hotels at http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/plan_a_vacation.aspx

Biggus
14-04-2003, 18:04
Les,
What time is first pitch at the baseball? I was quite surprised (shouldn't be by now) by the distance between the turn for BG and St Petes for the baseball (assume that your going to see the Devil Rays @ Trop Field) - it does take a good while, which may curtail your evening in BG. Which block are your tickets for at TF? We were in 205 which were wicked seats - that and the Yankees won 12-2 with lots of hits in the game.
RSVP

K4LGB
14-04-2003, 19:42
First Pitch is 13:15 the Devil Rays are hosting the Baltimore Orioles.
Went last year for an evening game against the LA Dodgers which the Dodgers won 10-5. Stayed at the St Petersburg Hilton last year but it is FULL on the 27/04 so staying at the Hilton Gardens Inn Tampa North - should be fine.
Haven't booked tickets as last year we got great seats between the batter and 1st base (Area 114) from the Tropicana Field salesbooth - will probably drive down early Sunday morning and pickup tickets again before heading for a wander about The Pier or Salvador Dali's Museum again if the weather is poor!

Cheers
Les

Ray&Sarah
30-04-2004, 03:00
Gwazi is a brill ride!! But the best is montu by a country mile. Gwazi however has got to be the best wooden roller coaster i have ridden:D[msncool]