PDA

View Full Version : Celebration

Chloe
26-06-2005, 20:15
Although I know of course that Celebration is not an attraction, I was wondering if other than on July 4 it is worth a visit. I know it is popular on July 4 because events are put on to celebrate that day. If it is worth a visit are there particular things we should see. Chloe

Newhomebuyer
26-06-2005, 20:25
It's just a really pretty place to spend a couple of hours. We often go very early in the morning and take a walk around the lake then catch a coofee or a bite to eat.
Similarly we might go for an evening meal to one of the very nice restaurants near the lakefront. It isn't a destination for a day out though, just a pretty stop to spend some quiet time.

dbrook
26-06-2005, 20:29
Well worth a visit. There is a large lake the lake and the footpaths are wide and quite safe if children want to cycle or skate. It has fountains which children can run in and out of to cool down! There is a picnic area and children's playground I believ.

Lovely shops to browse and good restaurants/coffe shops i.e. Barney&'s. There is also a cinema there.

Chloe
26-06-2005, 21:03
It sounds lovely, especially the lakefront bit. We will go! We often have an hour or so by Lake Toho if we are having an 'easy' day, so this sounds similar.Thankyou, Chloe

andrewmckay5
26-06-2005, 21:32
Not the greatest of pictures but should give you some idea ( if they come out[:I])

andrew

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/2005626173036_3F8E90E6-21BA-497C-9550B9811A2B9A6F.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/2005626173057_BBE00DD8-7011-442F-9F2C6DAED25EF03D.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/2005626173115_E2954C8D-1543-4BDC-88ED7EDBA104A700.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/20054718199_450x600_andy107.JPG

LiesaAnna
26-06-2005, 22:01
such a gorgeous place!!
thanx for showing them!!!

shenon
27-06-2005, 00:25
just another one:) wish i was there:)

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/shenon/2005626202457_celeb.jpg

Chloe
27-06-2005, 00:30
Andrew, Sharon, thankyou SO much. It looks lovely, I can't wait. Chloe

shenon
27-06-2005, 00:32
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/shenon/2005626203125_111.jpg

the last one was a little small....hope this is better:)

dawn
27-06-2005, 01:00
We are looking forward to visiting xmas time - I hear it looks great with lots of lights and 'snow'[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
27-06-2005, 02:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dawn
We are looking forward to visiting xmas time - I hear it looks great with lots of lights and 'snow'[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

It is well worth a visit and the residents homes are lovely to see too, they make a real effort.[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
27-06-2005, 13:34
Don't forget breakfast at the Market Street Cafe Chloe a must for every trip as far as I'm concerned.
Yake a walk around the lake and keep walking to the next lake there are some amazing properties!!

julieanne
27-06-2005, 19:10
Celebration is definately worth a visit.
It's good to look at the homes, have a walk around the lake - didn't know there was another lake, must find that next time. Also have a sit in one of the rocking chairs by the lake. There's some nice restaurants too [msntongue] and a few nice shops.

We love it :D

brizzle
27-06-2005, 19:16
My plan is to go Trick or Treating on Halloween in Celebration this year.
Plan is that it will be a bit more like fitting in with the locals if we do this...of course we'll be doing the Disney Halloween Party on another night.

I think we'll be welcomed by the residents, someone say if not to avoid a very embarrassed Brizzle.[:I]

LiesaAnna
27-06-2005, 19:37
good on yer!! but we need to hear all about it!!![msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
28-06-2005, 20:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
My plan is to go Trick or Treating on Halloween in Celebration this year.
Plan is that it will be a bit more like fitting in with the locals if we do this...of course we'll be doing the Disney Halloween Party on another night.

I think we'll be welcomed by the residents, someone say if not to avoid a very embarrassed Brizzle.[:I]
[/quote]

Take your camera and get some pictures to post on the forum of the houses decorated for halloween, they looked really good last year but I seem to hae lost the pictures or my hubby deleted them, otherwise I would post some.[msnsmile2]

orlando novice
16-08-2005, 22:15
These pictures of Celebration look lovely, will definately go there in october. Is is actually a small town or just a community development?

E. Cosgrove
16-08-2005, 22:37
Its a proper town with all its own services, schools, churches shops a hotel etc. The homes are all occupied by residents of Celebration and there are no short term rental properties. It is one of my favourite places to visit.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlando novice
These pictures of Celebration look lovely, will definately go there in october. Is is actually a small town or just a community development?
[/quote]

orlando novice
16-08-2005, 23:04
Wow, sounds lovely, will definately give it a visit.

esprit
17-08-2005, 00:30
That house in the pic Andrew posted above is for sale, $1.4 million.

andrewmckay5
17-08-2005, 00:47
November 2001; exactly the same model house under construction, backing onto conservation for $480,000-00.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
[/quote]

E. Cosgrove
17-08-2005, 01:38
Is that all? In that case I'll put in an offer[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
[/quote]

esprit
17-08-2005, 05:55
Prices have gone mad in Celebration, Andrew, property is now not far off $300 per sq foot. My original house bought in mid 2003 has doubled in value so I am not surprised that that one has tripled in value since 2001.

sundowner
17-08-2005, 13:24
I love wandering around the little shops in Celebration, then a nice lunch/dinner in one of the many restaurants. Makes a lovely break from the parks.

orlandodaze
18-08-2005, 02:23
I just love Celebration , its a crutial part of our Florida Fix, wish I were there now.

esprit
18-08-2005, 03:46
Well I am, and not a day goes by without me looking around Celebration and thinking, wow I actually live here, how lucky I am[8D]

julieanne
18-08-2005, 13:55
Yes you are lucky Julie - must be a wonderful place to live.
I'm so jealous [msnwink] [msnwink]

laalaa
19-08-2005, 03:17
Sorry to sound daft, but can anyone tell me anymore about celebration?

I always see it mentioned, and have wanted to ask for a while.

So its a town? Who owns it? Where is it? Does disney have anything to do with it? Can anyone go and have a look around?

esprit
19-08-2005, 08:14
Take a look at the Celebration official website www.celebrationfl.com or there are several books on the town available on Amazon. Celebration was created by Disney in 1996 as an experiment in planned urbanism. They carved it out of swampland which they already owned so it is in close proximity to all the Disney parks. The idea was to create the perfect town and to return to the old virtues of community and neighbourhood. For that reason, few homes had much land and most had front porches and the idea was to bring people out onto their porches so they would meet their neighbours. The first homes were built in 1997 and there was such interest that they were allocated by lottery, at that time you had to be Floridian to buy and many of the original homes were bought by big fans of Disney who saw it as being the nearest thing to living in Disney. The homes are themed, some are colonial style with Gone with the Wind style columns, Key West style with double porches, there are Victorian homes, French provincial style bungalows, Cape Cod style coastal homes (mine!!) and mediterranean villas. Upmarket the multi million dollar estate homes are weird and wonderful, some look like fairy tale castles with Rapunzel turrets, others are grand Moorish mansions or French chateaux.

It has grown and grown and now boasts over 8000 inhabitants living in 3,500 homes so yes it is a real town but is still very much a tourist town with its open air restaurants, little souvenir shops and quirky events such as leaf fall in Fall and snowfall in Winter. Disney owned it till early last year when they sold to Lexin Capital. The towns construction was almost finished and Disney always said that they were imagineers not property managers, once it was finished, they lost interest. Not much has changed however, though more people now have their own pools and there is less of a community spirit now people dont so often sit on their front porches. We get all sorts of jibes of Pleasantville and the Truman show and people laugh at the muzack still played from the " mushrooms" in the town centre streets but if Pleasantville means it is a very pleasant place to live, then it is. People say is it like living in a theme park and to some extent it is, but then again it isnt, it is a real town with normal working people and very few now are Disney freaks like they were in the beginning.

To visit, there are three ways in, turn down Celebration Ave off 192 by the Water Tower ( almost opposite Watermania), or take junction 62 off 1-4 and follow the signs, or exit Disney by World Drive and follow the signs. Yes anyone can visit and anyone can own there now, even us Brits!!!!! Anyone who visits, dont just stay in the centre. There are some fabulous conservation areas to walk around, we have seen wild deer there many times. And take a drive around and look at the houses. Dont miss the millionaires mansions on East Lawn and Golf Park Drive. It is particularly nice at Christmas when it is beautifully decorated and stages its own spectacle of lights to rival Disneys.