PDA

View Full Version : Shopping/Windsor Palms

pedster
12-04-2003, 13:47
Hi,
First timer from UK,staying in a villa at Windsor Palms -looking for info. on Windsor Palms, best shopping areas around Orlando,best way to deal with our spending money (travellers cheques),or any relevant info will be much appreciated.[8D]

blott
12-04-2003, 13:57
Hi Pedster, welcome to the forums.

Your profile doesn't say if you're from UK but, if you are, then the very best way to take your 'spends' is in US$ travellers' cheques which are treated like cash in USA. This means you can use them to pay in restaurants, shops, etc and you'll be given change without any charges. Note that some smaller places can't cope with $50 or above checks and take some small denominations too. American Express do US$ travellers' cheques for two so that two people sign them on collection but only one needs to sign them to cash them. If you don't get these, make sure each person has their own supply of TCs in case of emergencies.

Take some US$s in cash too, including some $1 bills for baggage trollies, porters, toll roads, etc.

And... don't forget your credit card - useful for emergencies and shopping although note that many credit cards charge an additional fee for any spending in foreign currency (check out the print on the back of your statement).

fiona
12-04-2003, 14:19
Hi Pedster I am sure the villa owner will be sending you info on Windsor Palms. We are just down the road from there so can advise on the nearest shopping plaza - Formosa Gardens. This has a selection of restaurants, TGIF, Outback, Red Lobster, Carrabbas, Giordanos, plus a couple of takeaways. There is a Winn-dixie supermarket open from 6am - 11pm. It's good for essentials and has an excellent deli section, but there is a Publix a couple of minutes up the road which is open the same hours. You turn left at the traffic lights on the 192 and it's shortly on the right hand side.

Regarding serious shopping (!) try the Millenium Mall, Beltz Factory, Premium Outlet Mall, Lake Buena Vista Mall and the Florida Mall. If you have a look on here under shopping you'll find lots of tips.

pedster
13-04-2003, 13:56
Thanks for the replies,much appreciated - kids are 14 & 11,apart from Disney & Universal Studios, what are the must do's with/for the kids and any other info.(however basic on anything) would be helpful.

fiona
13-04-2003, 16:19
Are the children girls or boys? This will make a difference to the suggestions!!

pedster
13-04-2003, 16:52
14 year old is a boy
11 year old is a girl

Matt
13-04-2003, 19:02
Pedster,

Where to start with things to do??? Apart from Disney, Universal and IOA, Sea World and Busch Gardens, some other great things to do which will not take a full day can be found down I-Drive.

Try Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum, Wonderworks, Skull Kingdom (if your brave enough), or why not take an airboat ride at boggy creek.

I think you'll find that anything you do, both kids will love (including the big kids!!)

Matt

fiona
13-04-2003, 19:39
Shopping will be of limited interest to the boy I assume, but as I have 2 daughters aged 17 and 14 who can shop for England I can suggest LBV, Millenia Mall and the absolute must of Premium Outlet Mall.

They show no interest in the things on I Drive - except food! Love IOA, MGM, MK, US and SW. Often a concert on at the Hard Rock Live, we have seen Oasis and Meatloaf so far.

Cinema complex at Citywalk is a great hit, we have to compromise between the girly films and all action ones Chris might want to see!

Water parks a great success. Treat with respect during the summer months regarding sun, and take sensible precautions.

Disney is a short drive away, lots to do at Downtown in the evening - also a cinema, restaurants etc.

Chilling out by the pool is a great success as well!

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 00:13
If the kids or yourselves want to go horseriding, there are some excellent riding stables in the Orlando area.

Also, we arrange other activities for our guests like Skydiving, Tandem Paraglider Flights, Helicopter Rides etc. If you would like any info on these, give me a shout! :D

I find all of the Mouse Theme Parks to be too expensive to go to every day! What do the rest of you regulars think to the way the prices keep going up?[xx(]

steph_goodrum
21-04-2003, 01:08
there's also Vans skate park at the top of I drive, which may appeal to one or both.
www.vans.com/skateparkorg/orlando.html

movement no movement
21-04-2003, 02:12
Pedster,

[u]banking</u>

Those travellers cheques you've got - just spend them as cash - it's weird i know - but everyone who's anyone takes them.

[u]shopping</u>

I would recommend "The Florida Mall" (orange blossom trail - you will need a map and at the very minimum half a day) for shopping (great choice but high prices) it's massive ! it takes ages and ages to get around...

OR

alternatively....a very similar mall (but half the size and half the people) in Haines City (as recommended to me by my mc last summer)

from where you are (the splendid china road...right !)...
you go up to the 192 and go right then go on the I4 West Bound down to Haines City and pick up the 27 and go left and just keep going and going it's a dual carriageway for ages as i remember but you get there eventually.

But really...just window shop as much as possible at those places because the discount stores are the place to shop and IMO there is no better/easier place to find (for first timers) than the top of I drive (drive north on I drive till you can drive no further and you simply cannot miss it) BELZ.Best buys there are those timberland/caterpillar boots that cost £120/£140 you can get them for £40.same with designer t-shirts and all that stuff that ladies wear....

Wonderworks/pointe orlando on I Drive - i would recommend.....it's got a massive toy shop called fao schwarz you know you're there on I Drive when you see that massive doll/toys structure.YOu can combine shopping and fun there

your kids will enjoy Wonderworks - get the laser tag option on the ticket too it's superb !
there's a multi plex cinema/designer clothes shops/family restaurants (sounds like everywhere....i suppose but is good)

Downtown Disney.....a massive Virgin megastore , great restaurants , great setting (well it's disney isn't it).i would recommend an evening visit because it lights up so beautifully.

if you get homesick for something uk - there's a "pizza hut" down the 192 west - just don't ask them for prawns on your pizza - they get very confused....

hope this helps....

oh i wish i was there.... ho hum...

best regards

sean flude

steph_goodrum
21-04-2003, 12:15
Sean
I think the one you are thinking of is Eagle Ridge Mall, we often go down that way instead of Florida Mall as it's usually much quieter.

www.eagleridgemall.com

http://www.florida-mall-fl.com

in case you want to do a comparison of shops, if you go down the 27 you will also pass Walmart at Southern Dunes so you go do 2 lots at once , Walmart is 24 hr so you can do that on the way home.

movement no movement
21-04-2003, 15:25
thanks steph !

eagle ridge was the one i was thinking of

timmy
21-04-2003, 16:45
We stayed in Windsor Palms.

My daughter is 16 and loves shopping. We were surprised at the choice of clothing at Denim World just at the end of the road. And they take discount vouchers offering 10% off. You can get these at Dairy Queen next door. The kids love the ice-creams there too!

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 20:42
DQ is the best. My pregnant wife can't get enough of them. Try the Cherry Cheescake one... It really is to die for!

I find Beltz to be the best place for buying all your clothes and things. Van Husen especially has some excellent deals!:D

Vron
22-04-2003, 01:24
:D Wow! What a fount of knowledge you all are!! I logged on the in faint hope I might find some info. about where my family and I are staying this year - Windsor Palms - 9th August to 24th August] and here you all are, chatting away about the area. Brilliant, that's what you all are:D What's Windsor Palms like by the way - my 'babies' are 15 [girl] and 14 & 13 [the other sort] :D:D. Do you think it would be safe for hubby and I to disappear to Walmart and leave them for a couple of hours? Grateful for any response.

Am making a list of all these eating places - I may not have time to visit MG, AK, etc. Byee, Vron