PDA

View Full Version : Monarch from Newcastle

Dopeysfriend
26-06-2005, 01:01
Hi folks

Does anybody know if the Saturday morning Monarch flight from Newcastle has seat back telly's.

Thanks
Christine

dawn
26-06-2005, 02:21
Hi Christine,

The Saturday morning Monarch Newcastle flight only has seat back TV's in Premium Class.

Dawn

Dopeysfriend
26-06-2005, 02:29
Thanks Dawn. Hmmmmm might be worth seeing how much an upgrade would be!!

Badger
02-07-2005, 16:49
Flew with Monarch a few weeks ago, cost me $125.00 each to upgrade coming back from Sanford.. Well worrth it!

Marlyn
06-08-2005, 15:57
Anyone know what the seating configuration in cattle class on Monarch flight Newcastle to Sanford

KevinT
07-08-2005, 03:38
Marlyn,

Looking at Monarchs website it describes the seating plan as :

Premium class - a wider 2-4-2 configuration
Economy 3-3-3 configuration

Not sure how this ties in with the Newcastle plane.

They say that only the Airbus 330s have premium seats. Other fleet planes have just one class.

Florida3883
07-08-2005, 12:41
I'm flying out in Oct from Newcastle with Monarch and have booked into premium class. Well worth it and the Airbus 330 is what Kevin says it is as I've used this kind of plane before.

Dopeysfriend
07-08-2005, 20:36
Just got back early this morning after flying on Monarch. The seat pitch is the worst I have ever been on. It was 3-3-3 in cattle class.

Hubby ended up sitting in the row behind us. He had the window seat but it had no window. The seat was specially shaped to take into account the slope of the aircraft side. And it didn't recline. Luckily I was sitting in front but if somebody else had been and they had reclined he would have been in big trouble. He isn't big either. Only 5' 6". They should try to give this seat to a child. Definitely one to avoid. It was Row 29 seat K.

Apart from that, the holiday was fabulous as always. Even got to see the shuttle launch.

Dopeysfriend
07-08-2005, 20:43
Forgot to mention that we tried to upgrade or get extra legroom seats before flying but none available.

eagleydo
07-08-2005, 20:53
My husband had a seat that matches that description when we flew for the first time to Florida, using Monarch. Not sure what the number was, it was 5 years ago. He's 6' and was very uncomfortable, I changed with him for part of the journey. Since then we have flown with BA and Virgin, Monarch crew were lovely but I would prefer to pay a little more and have seat back tv's, more room and not having the hostesses sitting on my lap when they serve meals.

Dopeysfriend
07-08-2005, 20:56
We only have Monarch or Excel from Newcastle. Virgin or BA would be a luxury.

eagleydo
07-08-2005, 21:12
Well as I have said the staff on Monarch are great and I personally loved my meals on this plane. Enjoy the flight and have a good time in Florida.

Dopeysfriend
08-08-2005, 00:58
Err, I just got back!

eagleydo
08-08-2005, 03:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dopeysfriend
Err, I just got back!
[/quote]
Don't worry, have a few problems with penny dropping. Perhaps I should change my job and get more than 4 hours sleep a night 6/7 days a week. Makes me slow witted.

Robert5988
08-08-2005, 04:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We only have Monarch or Excel from Newcastle. Virgin or BA would be a luxury.[/quote]

American Airlines will be flying from there to New York(JFK) soon. Good connections from New York to all airports in Florida - and the rest of the USA for that matter.

pieman790
08-08-2005, 15:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We only have Monarch or Excel from Newcastle. Virgin or BA would be a luxury.[/quote]

American Airlines will be flying from there to New York(JFK) soon. Good connections from New York to all airports in Florida - and the rest of the USA for that matter.
[/quote]

If its like the Manchester to Boston Route it will be an old B757 with no seat back TV's or anything else fancy on board.

Katys Grandad
08-08-2005, 15:31
Neil & Cathy

I'm intrigued - what falls into the "anything else fancy.." category?

On the MAN-BOS route, if you pay full fare economy or pay £100 at the check-in desk, you will be in seats which are both bigger and have more leg room than Virgin's overpriced Premium Economy offering.

pieman790
08-08-2005, 15:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
Neil & Cathy

I'm intrigued - what falls into the "anything else fancy.." category?

On the MAN-BOS route, if you pay full fare economy or pay £100 at the check-in desk, you will be in seats which are both bigger and have more leg room than Virgin's overpriced Premium Economy offering.
[/quote]

To us it was just a very bog standard internal plane. It reminded us of a charter plane from the early 90's. You have to pay for drinks and the one aisle doesnt help.
£100 seems cheap to upgrade but apart from a bigger seat what else do you get?

Katys Grandad
08-08-2005, 16:58
To be honest, it's still the same plane. You are first on and first off which is handy for immigration but the food service is still the one the steer pens at the back receive. There are a couple of little things like your coat being hung up in the wardrobe and being near the front galley so coffee/tea and alcoholic drinks (which are still paid for) are easy to get to. I did find that the FA's seemed to give a better service to the front section, probably because they are aware that those passengers have paid more money.

In my view it's much better value than so-called Premium seats on smaller airlines. Free drinks and seat back TV's are much lower down my personal preference list. I suppose it what suits each individual but I intend to use the service whenever I can even though I could use the 763 MAN-ORD service instead.

Robert5988
08-08-2005, 23:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:In my view it's much better value than so-called Premium seats on smaller airlines. Free drinks and seat back TV's are much lower down my personal preference list. I suppose it what suits each individual but I intend to use the service whenever I can even though I could use the 763 MAN-ORD service instead.[/quote]

Likewise I use the Manchester - Boston 757 service whenever I can in preference to the Manchester - Chicago route in the larger aircraft.

I also cannot understand the fixation some people have with seatback TV.

Marlyn
29-08-2005, 17:25
The flight on Saturday was great lots of empty seats and pleanty of leg room food was not bad either, at the back of the plane the last 8 rows the seating is 2 3 2