PDA

View Full Version : Moving Stateside

Biggus
11-04-2003, 19:53
Hi all,
Bit of a strange one this (Not directly Orlando related) - my wife has just phoned to say that her job may well take her to work in Denver (I would prefer sun not snow!!) for a period of at least 12 months. Where do I stand on the visa front - hers will obviously be sponsored by her work but even as a graduate I don't know if I will be able to work. Can someone (I know Julie Carty (Esprit) and Martin from C2C are pretty hot on the subject) give me some advice, as I have seen some of the info on here re: visas but I would much rather work than become a house husband (we don't have any kids) and I have a tendency to become a little bored after a while doing not a lot. We love the States and would jump at the chance (it would be a good career move for my wife) I could get quite excited if this is very likely to come off. She is going back to the US in a month for a couple of weeks.
Your thoughts and help would be appreciated.
Cheers,

esprit
11-04-2003, 20:35
Would it be her existing employer who would be sending her over to work in the US Biggus. If so, she would get a L1 inter company trsnafer visa and you would get an L2. search the net and half the sites will tell you that L2 visa holders cannot work. They can!! It is recent legislation and half the websites have not been chamged to reflect it. The L2 holder has to apply for dispensation to work and off you go and find a job. However, your visa would be totally dependant on your wifes ( if you see what I mean) The advantage of L1 is it converts pretty quickly to green card ( possible after one year, common after three) and if she then gets a green card, she can sponsor you.
If she would be getting a total new job sponsorred by a US employer, that is an H1B and come back to me.

neilandkay
13-04-2003, 01:52
Even if you can't work, there are always voluntary organisations in the US that would love to have an extra pair of hands. You could find something that would be of interest to you and work in that field for a year.

When I moved to the US I couldn't work (on an L2) so I completed some studying distance learning from the UK as well as volunteering. You could study in a school in the US if distance learning is not your thing but you may come across residency rules which would make the cost of studying higher.

It is amazing how quickly a year goes. We are now on our 5th year out here.

--Kay

Biggus
14-04-2003, 12:49
Julie,
Yes the position would be with her current employer, although she will be moving voluntarily not being sent over there. The company is expanding in the US (they currently only have one centre in Forth Worth) but as a deputy centre manager and national trainer she has skills that no-one in the US has.
The news about an L2 visa is cool, at least I wouldn't be bored silly doing nothing, although Kay I hadn't thought of voluntary work.
RSVP

Biggus
17-04-2003, 20:22
Just found quite a good website that has a forum (not too dissimilar in layout to this one) that has many of the answers to visa/immigration queries relating to the USA with personal experiences.
Hope it helps....:D

http://britishexpats.com/forum/

porky
18-04-2003, 14:05
A member of my management company told me the other week that Brits are now being allowed to enter the freen card lottery because of our support in Iraq. I have l;ooked at various websites regarding the GCL but still find they say we're not allowed. Anybody know the real truth? Hubby is hoping that the official websirtes are outdated and that the truth is we are eligable. I'm convinced I'm still going to be stuck here in the UK/:(

Jacqui

esprit
18-04-2003, 14:53
Well it would be lovely and it does seem daft that Iraq is in and we are not, but personally I doubt it as the aim is ethnic diversity and there are record numbers of Brits going out this year on visas. It is only a one in sixty chance anyway, about the same as three numbers on the lottery and it has been a long while since I got that. No if we are talking rumours , I did hear that they may be proposing to relax the E2 rules giving us the same rights on E2 as L1 ( which includes ability to convert to a green card) I got that off an attorney who reckons it will be law within three years. You never can tell though. Never a one to count chickens....

steph_goodrum
18-04-2003, 15:37
It would be good if they would allow us to enter the lottery, for those of us not quite brave enough or with not enough business know how to invest all our money into a business.

Tracey
18-04-2003, 19:39
I'll second that Steph.
It's rather depressing when there are no avenues open.