PDA

View Full Version : Rowland Family Hols Week 2

tia 33
23-06-2005, 01:06
Saturday 4th
Weather warm but distinct absence of large, round, yellow, hot thing that normally dominates Florida. Consoled myself with a visit to the Florida Mall. Yep this is my favourite. Have crowned Abercrombie & Fitch my favourite store, great music and all the clothes smell lovely. Hubby seems to like it as well….wonder if it has anything to do with the exceedingly attractive female assistants. How does the company get away with it, it would be deemed politically incorrect here! Also paid a visit to Old Navy, Oakley store (invested in some shades as an early Father’s Day present to hubby), Guess etc. I really, really, really love Florida.
Stopped at Subway on the way home (thanks for the recommendations forum members). Wow! What sarnies! I must explain to those of you who are unaware what a quiet backwater Devon is. Not for us the retail food chains of the metropolis, hence my espousal of the merits of Subway, especially a toasted BMT! Let me enlighten you: this is a 6 or12inch sub roll with ham, salami, pepperoni, and provolone cheese placed on it. It is then toasted. Then lettuce, mayo, onion, and tomato are added. Fab and highly recommended – especially as they have an offer for two footlongs for $7.99!
Went to Carabbas (192) for a lovely meal. Nice atmosphere and the bread you dip in oil & herbs is particularly scrummy.

Sunday 5th
Lovely, if overcast and cloudy, morning by the pool. SeaWorld via Subway for lunch buying extra as take out to eat at Sea World later on. Did Journey to Atlantis which was great, saw Clyde and Seamore, and Shamu. We stayed for the Mistify show and staked out a great spot about an hour before. I yet again, selflessly waited with the boys, while hubby disappeared off to ride the Kraken – 3 times! He was able to walk on each time and made the most of it! Mistify was fantastic, I think even better than IllumiNations. Again the atmosphere was lovely, even if the mossies were using my body for target practice! [gun]
On a different note I have to say I was amazed and impressed at the patriotism in evidence at the Shamu show. Upon entering the park I was confused by the number of signs saying ‘We Salute our Heroes’. All became clear at the pre-show when the giant screen gave thanks to the US armed forces. At the beginning of the actual show the trainers asked any member of the armed forces, US or otherwise to stand up in the crowd and be thanked for their dedication to their job. Good on SeaWorld I say! Also as part of the Anhauser Busch stable of parks, this is a good one, better than Busch Gardens. But I take my hat off to all the parks for their cleanliness, efficiency and unfailingly helpful and cheery cast members. We could all learn a lot from them…… [clap]

Monday 6th
Visited Disney MGM. The day started gloomily but then the sun came out with a vengeance. Did Startours, the Tower of Terror, (what attention to detail for the scenery and a great ride if a little stomach churning – for me anyway – when they open the door and you see how high up you are). Would not recommend riding if you have just eaten, [sick] unless that is you want to be parted from said food! Had various rendez-vous with assorted Power Rangers and Incredibles characters, much to the boys delight. By this time it was very hot and busy. My thinking had undertaken a complete u-turn and concluded that we had been very lucky to have some overcast days. The heat really took its toll on the boys as they became tired quickly. We went to watch the Lights, Motors, Action show which was great, very cleverly done. We then left for the cooling properties of the villa pool.
We visited Cracker Barrel (US 27) for dinner. What a step back in time! It’s very olde worlde and folksy twee. You have to walk through a gift shop first and then into the restaurant. The food was good, but the service and atmosphere weren’t. Amazed that for such an advanced nation in some ways (sensor flush toilets, fingerprint recognition id on Disney cards and on Universal Studios lockers, sensor towel dispensers in Planet Hollywood) they still

stabard
23-06-2005, 01:59
I think I have put on half a stone just reading about all this yummy food

LesleyB
23-06-2005, 02:32
Great second report Laura - we did Discovery Cove in October and agree that it is definitely a must-do. We had a wonderful day there and the kids still talk about it to their friends.

LiesaAnna
23-06-2005, 03:49
still sounding absolutely fab!!!

Ray&Sarah
23-06-2005, 12:32
Felt like we were at Discovery Cove with you Laura, great report. GOod to hear about another "Subway" lover.[msnsmile2]

julieanne
23-06-2005, 14:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Felt like we were at Discovery Cove with you Laura, great report. GOod to hear about another "Subway" lover.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Already thought we were all Subway lovers on here [msntongue] [msnwink]

timmy
23-06-2005, 22:25
Well Laura it looks like I'll have to add Joe's Crab Shack to my list of recommended eateries. Not been there yet, but will give it a go next trip. The Coldstone Creamery sounds good too! Did you put on weight?

Glad you enjoyed Discovery Cove - it'a a great day out.

Sandra

cmale35
24-06-2005, 00:07
hi laura
we did the last 2 weeks of your 3 weeks we went on the 4th june we did all of disney and we did all of universal apart from busch gardens which we will do next time when we go.Like you we had a busy schedule and the food fantastic but most of us came home losing weight[msnsmile2]how? i don't know having what we had eaten while we was there

E. Cosgrove
24-06-2005, 01:30
What a great time you are having Laura. I MUST go the coldstone creamery on my next trip![msntongue]

eagleydo
24-06-2005, 15:00
My tummy is enjoying your memories and I need to go out in a minute and get something to eat. Discovery Cove sounds great hope you have some pics to post for this. Must agree with cmale35 tough I always eat loads but lose weight in Florida, perhaps I should live their.

Cruella DeVilla
24-06-2005, 15:52
We tried to get into the Crab shack but it was chocka block with tourists and millions of kids last Month, although it was 7 oclock on a Friday night. We decided to try Pacinos across the way which was fab! I was really surprised. Will try Joes next trip this week.

The salute to the heros you mention is not just for the US Military it also extends to Nato forces and they get free entry at Seaworld and Busch Gardens. It is on the website all about it.

Sally D
24-06-2005, 18:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla

The salute to the heros you mention is not just for the US Military it also extends to Nato forces and they get free entry at Seaworld and Busch Gardens. It is on the website all about it.

[/quote]

I read in 2003 (the year we never went[msncry]) that all Nato forces could have free entry into Seaworld and Busch Gardens, but can not see anything for this year.

Anyone got any info on this as my husband is in the Royal Navy and if it saves us a bit then all well and good.

ravtino
24-06-2005, 19:01
Ice cream place sounds great a must do in a months time.

tia 33
24-06-2005, 23:19
Ok cmale35 and eagleydo - how DID you manage to lose weight????? You must let me into your secret for next time........! :D The only good news is I've lost 4lbs of the 8 since coming home, perhaps it's something to do with pining for Florida..........

cmale35
25-06-2005, 00:05
i really don't know the answer but all the adults from our party lost weight i lost 4lbs must be all the walking we did it wasn't the shortage of food that was the problem we ate more than well[msnwink]

DisneyDreamer
30-06-2005, 22:40
Loving your reports........I want to be there NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!