PDA

View Full Version : Rowland Family Hols Week 1

tia 33
23-06-2005, 01:02
Friday 27th May
12.30pm straight onto the Virgin website to do the online check in. Not very amused because our seats have been changed. Having been booked for nearly 12 months, spend afternoon on phone to far away Virgin call centre trying to ascertain what they mean by ‘changed due operational reasons’. Resolve to go to Twilight Check in at Gatwick to sort. Otherwise online check in is great.
Pick up the boys from school – they are actually displaying some signs of excitement – yippee! :D
Car loaded and we’re off to Gatwick via the A303 thanks to the advice of forum members. It is very hot, hope the weather is good in Florida – who am I kidding? It is always great….. Fortunately we have a dvd player in the car and I am feeling very self satisfied having invested in Scooby Doo 2 so that the boys are happily oblivious to the car park surrounding us, otherwise known as the M25. Finally reach the Gatwick Hilton. Have arranged for the car to be picked up from the hotel and taken to a car park. Somewhat concerned at handing over the car to a complete stranger, and hubby’s face is a picture when the first thing she does is stalls it! No female driver jokes please!
Have booked a family room which turns out to be vast and very comfortable, so happily dump bags and go straight to Twilight check in. Huge queue, but very helpful Virgin lady kindly allocates 3 + 1 seats so we get a window seat – which I secretly covet as I love flying!
Return to Hilton for grim, overpriced meal at American themed restaurant in hotel. But who cares I am in holiday mood! Roll on tomorrow! [8D]

Saturday 28th May
Gatwick is heaving – everyone I deal with happily tells us it is the busiest day of the year – best I don’t pick this date to travel again. Off for a quick bit of retail therapy whilst males of the family plane spot. Return to a seating conspiracy which has robbed me of even being near the window – yes I am the one stuck in the central seats – still there is always the flight home…..!
Great flight and we are finally back in Florida. Woohooooooooooooooooooo! [clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]Everyone is really excited. Explained to the boys the feeling of the airport exit doors opening and feeling the warm rush of Florida air – they soon realise what I mean! Picked the car up from Dollar – we have a Dodge Town & Country, and off to navigate to the villa in Calabay Parc. Marvel at all the sights and sounds en route. Hubby, being the proud owner of a shiny, new crotch rocket is dismayed at the number of sports bikes with riders attired in only shorts and t-shirt. No helmet! Amazed at the Americans driving habits – no lane discipline, no indicating, but absolutely no horn beeping and road rage – how nice!
Arrive after straightforward journey. Wow! The villa was fantastic; a credit to its owners who thought of every conceivable amenity and to the management company whose upkeep of it was superb.
It takes precisely 3 minutes and 26 seconds from opening the door to when the boys enter the swimming pool. I think it is finally dawning on them why their mother has been acting like a raving lunatic with excitement for the past months!
Quick wash and brush up and off to Red Lobster on the 192 where I am sure there will be a large hot fudge sundae with my name on it! Fantastic meal despite the comatose state of son no 2 (just managed to stop his face from falling full on into his dinner). Son no 2 has a glazed look (a sure sign of impending sleep) so wolf down beautiful snow crab legs, coconut prawns etc and head back to the villa.

Sunday 29th May
Had been told to expect the boys to up around 5am – spot on – No 1 appearing at 4.46am and No 2 at 5.10am. It is a glorious morning and we go to Golden Corral for breakfast. It is a real eye opener to see people drinking coke and tucking into very large slices of cake at 8am, but this is the good old U S of A, home of all you can eat buffets and gargantuan portions! The boys thought they had died and gone to heaven when they saw waffles, muffins & pancakes for breakfast!
Proceed to Epcot

stabard
23-06-2005, 01:51
Great report Laura - really mad me laugh:D Off to read the next installment [msnwink]

LesleyB
23-06-2005, 02:21
Fantastic report Laura - I really felt for you with the camera - you can never recapture the moment that you take the pics - and I hope you are right about the thief.

We bought an annual pass for Busch when we were out in October and used it then and in March - we are out again in September to furnish our new place (just to two of us) and we are on a very tight timetable, but are hoping to squeeze a little spare time for just one brief trip to Busch so that I can go on Sheikra (on my own as my other half keeps his feet firmly on the ground!).

Looking forward to reading the next instalment [msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
23-06-2005, 03:43
well done Laura!! very good, cant wait for the next part!!
sorry to hear about the camera!!! glad it didnt stop you from having fun!!!
one of our favourite food places is Race Rock!! its a great place for the kids!!! and me[msnwink]

walden64
23-06-2005, 09:22
What a great report - I am going to read the other installments now

E. Cosgrove
23-06-2005, 11:04
Fantastic start to your reports Laura.
How do I know that feeling about being outvoted by the males of the family........hmmmm?[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
23-06-2005, 12:28
Great report Laura, I can also sympathise with being the only female in the house.[msnsmile]

dan
23-06-2005, 14:51
I really enjoyed your report Laura and I'm looking forward to reading the next part.[msnsmile2] It wasn't nice to hear your camera had been stolen though[msnsad]

ahagan
23-06-2005, 15:47
Very nice report Laura. Sounds like you had a good time although losing your camera nearly spoilt things :(. Off to read the other parts.

timmy
23-06-2005, 22:20
Hi Laura

This is a great account of your holiday. It's the first time I've had a full account from one of my villa guests about their stay in Orlando. You bring everything to life so well - I just can't wait to read the next 2 reports! Also please to see that some of my hints and tips came in useful. And Bahamas Breeze is our favourite restaurant.

Sandra

(Good to hear that the villa and management company were up to scratch!)

Sally D
23-06-2005, 23:33
This report is great. I really enjoyed reading it.

I have 3 daughters so it's always my husband who gets out voted. Bless him, he doesn't stand a chance with 4 females. In October my sister and niece are coming with us, 6 against 1:D

jovi
24-06-2005, 14:19
I know what you mean about the Florida heat hitting you when you go out side, The first time we went, we landed late at night, I shall always remember, stepping off the plane into the airport, boy was it hot, I thought it must be the heat off the engines until I went through the front doors of the airport, well then it hit me, it was dark out and felt like mid afternoon on a very, very, very hot day in this country, we then caught a bus to get to go pick up the cars and we froze on the bus,couldn't believe it. Don't you just love Florida[msnsmile2] Can just feel the heat now, sigh!! I wish.[msnsad]

eagleydo
24-06-2005, 14:39
Great first report. I know what you mean about the heat. I love when you come off the plane and as you walk throug the walkway you can smell the heat on the ground below coming through the join in the passageway. I can visualise the smell and heat now, wow!!

Cruella DeVilla
24-06-2005, 15:48
Oh this puts me to shame I have not done trip reports for my last 2 trips. It is nice to read someone elses though, off to catch up on part 2:D

julieanne
24-06-2005, 15:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Oh this puts me to shame I have not done trip reports for my last 2 trips. It is nice to read someone elses though, off to catch up on part 2:D
[/quote]

It's not too late to do them now CDV [msnwink] [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
24-06-2005, 16:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh Julie it is, my memory is not what it used to be. Promise I will do one over the next two weeks trip, we fly Sunday.[8D]

julieanne
24-06-2005, 16:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh Julie it is, my memory is not what it used to be. <span style="color:red">Promise I will do one over the next two weeks trip</span id="red">, we fly Sunday.[8D]
[/quote]

We'll hold you to that - a promise is a promise [msnwink] [msnwink]

Have a great time [msncool]

Cruella DeVilla
24-06-2005, 17:17
Julie, I always keep my promises I did with my mugshot:D

ravtino
24-06-2005, 18:53
Great to read - sorry about the camera there are some dreadful people about lets hope they got whats coming big style.

It must be lovely for villa owners to read when a guest is really enjoying themselves.

Just off to read the next instalements.

Matt
24-06-2005, 20:02
Fab report. I also flew out on May 28th Virgin from LGW. Could we possibly have been on the same flight??!!!

Could you possibly have followed me from Dollar to Calabay Parc???!!!???

Maybe you rented in the house next door to me???!!!???

:D:D:D[8D][8D]

Matt

PS. Wasn't the weather just horrendous this first week??

tia 33
24-06-2005, 23:15
Thanks for all your lovely comments everyone [grouphug]
Yes Matt the weather was absolute pants! Spooky re the conincidences, if I post a photo now, you might say OMG it was them!! LOL [laugh]

Madabouttigger
25-06-2005, 00:34
What a wonderful trip report thank - you.

DisneyDreamer
30-06-2005, 22:36
You write a great trip report.....thoroughly enjoying it :D

So sorry to hear about your camera, it makes you sooooooooooooo angry doesn't it??????