PDA

View Full Version : Crystal River

mona
21-06-2005, 16:42
We are going to swim with the Manatees in march next year.
The swimm finishes before lunch .....
and we would like to stay and explore a little.
Can anybody recommend nice places to visit in that area, ie. beaches or springs?

How far is Clearwater from Crystal River....it looks quite close?!

Thanks for any info [msnsmile2]
Ramona

Jill
21-06-2005, 17:59
Crystal River to Clearwater is just over 70 miles. We took our boys on this trip the other year and they declared it to be better than a visit to the theme parks and they are avid theme park lovers. The tour company we went with (probably the same with all of them) take a video (which of course they sell) so we now have a constant reminder of a great trip.

mona
21-06-2005, 19:44
That sounds brilliant.... we have 3 boys who are really looking forward to going..!!

Just trying to find something to do afterwards, or would you feel too exhausted ??

Thanks
Ramona

Jill
22-06-2005, 01:26
We stopped and had a meal afterwards in one the restaurants in the area before taking a leisurely drive back to our villa. We were on a fairly early boat so had had an early morning start.

The earlier in the day you go the better as manatees are far more active early in the day. They tend to eat during the morning until lunch time and then rest in the afternoon. During the afternoon it tends to be the youngsters that are more active than the adults. It is a great outing I am sure your boys will love it.

andrewmckay5
22-06-2005, 01:43
Mo Green had some interesting infomation on Manatee spotting for anyone visiting the Gulf:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_16375.asp

andrew

Mo Green
22-06-2005, 12:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mona
We are going to swim with the Manatees in march next year.
The swimm finishes before lunch .....
and we would like to stay and explore a little.
Can anybody recommend nice places to visit in that area, ie. beaches or springs?

How far is Clearwater from Crystal River....it looks quite close?!

Thanks for any info [msnsmile2]
Ramona
[/quote]

Ramona do buy the video. My daughter and her husband bought one and it is a lovely reminder of the day.

mona
22-06-2005, 19:04
Thanks for the input......
Yes we are going early in the morning ( 6.00 am )
and we will absolutey purchase the video....
it will be the hit in my son's class
(he is 9 and a water rat)
He has not yet spend a day not talking about going to
Florida and swimming with the manatees.[clap][clap][clap]

Ramona

dick wroe
07-07-2005, 04:34
alos try silver springs

wichee wachee

mountdora

all good family days out

Parrothead
25-07-2005, 14:56
Homosassa State Park, great place. You will pass the entrance as you drive to Crystal river. I thought the beach here a bit of a let down. The view to the north has a great big power station, looks like it is on the beach! This is why the manatee come here though. The water is warm in winter.