PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Part 2 Parks (Part1) & Shopping

Biggus
10-04-2003, 17:06
Right second deep breath........
We had a pretty solid plan for the parks - which days to go and when etc.(all based on info from people here) - got a 5 park flex-ticket and Kennedy tickets through this site which were at our villa when we arrived.
Had a rest on the Sunday 23rd after we travelling on the Sat - REST DAY my big hairy bottom!! - Beltz then Wal-Mart and finish in Premium Outlets - both malls had only 1 (or 6) shops that Hel (my wife) wanted to visit. Lots of bargins to be had if you look carefully enough. Usual affair in Reebok 'buy two get third free' etc. Liked Wal-Mart a lot (visited on numerous occasions throughout the holiday) buying anything from clothes to CD's (and CD players) to digital cameras etc etc.
Monday 24th Sea World. One of my fave parks ever and didn't me disappoint second time around. Shamu show had changed slightly since we were last there, the dolphins in the cove seemed a little more friendly and happy to be stroked/patted etc. Lots of good photo opportunities. Had changed 'Terrors of the Deep' to the 'Shark encounter' but the reefs full of nasty looking fish are still stunning. Got to ride Journey to Atlantis for the first time (closed last time) which was cool.(Q'd for about 20 mins)I talked (conned) my mum into riding Kraken with me (I was the only coaster junkie in our party this time around and doing things on your own is no fun!!) and the look on her face on the photo tells a thousand words. Her language was a little fruity all the way round but she loved every minute of it!!
Tuesday 25th REST DAY - yippee relax time!!
Were 'scheduled' to go to Busch Gardens on Wednesday 26th but didn't as Hel wasn't well. Decided to do something different - so went to Wal-Mart then Gatorland (Hel HATES snakes/crocs/gators etc.) spent the (hot) afternoon watching the Jumperoo and wrestling which was very good - excellent photo opportunities very interesting, but not more than a 1/2 day activity.
Will continue in a little while (got to swap over from laptop at work to desktop. C u in a while!!

phaedra
10-04-2003, 20:18
Sounds like fun :D

Make sure you don't pack your nice new digital camera, memory card/s etc. in your hold luggage, US airports have ramped up the baggage X-Ray power substantially and have warned of possible damage to sensitive electronics. :(

Biggus
11-04-2003, 12:39
Phaedra,
We were told that the new security machines WILL damage traditional photo films GUARANTEED but would not harm any new media cards etc. for digital cameras or video tapes for camcorders. I still take sensitive items with me in my carry on luggage as I don't trust them, haven't had any probs with the photos or video this time around.

Will try and finish the parks part of my continiuing saga today.

esprit
11-04-2003, 13:29
You are a cruel man, Biggus!!! You take your Mum on the Kraken (!!) I dont know how old your Mum is but her face in the picture and her fruitt language ( yes we can imagine!) tells heaps. And then your wife is not well so you take her to Gatorland because she hates reptiles! I think they both deserved a super long visit to the designer shops at Premium Outlets after that! ( only joking!)

Biggus
11-04-2003, 14:24
Julie,
I didn't really have to physically drag my mum on Kraken - she is 57 this year and in reality loved every minute of it - otherwise I would have had to drag her onto Hulk, Dr Doom, Spiderman & Jurassic Park @ IOA and Gwazi @ Busch......she came willingly, even describing Hulk as a little 'tame' after having riden Kraken. She was really proud of herself, when she came home one of the first things she said to my younger brother (who didn't come with us) about the holiday was what she had ridden......and then got all the photos out to prove it.
As for Gatorland - Hel took to her bed (by the pool) and wasn't seen or heard of until our return from the day out. Even I'm not THAT cruel, well except on the days of the week ending with the letter 'Y' hehehehe;)
Sorry forgot to add that both my wife and mum got AMPLE opportunity to shop at the various malls - and boy didn't they hammer the cards and/or travellers cheques!!

esprit
11-04-2003, 14:46
All power to Mum and sorry to hear about Hel, Biggus. You didnt say she stayed at home, just she wasnt well enough for Busch!! I was only joking really!!!!!!!!!

Biggus
11-04-2003, 15:19
Yeah we went to Busch the following day - all to come in the Parks part 2 trip report - when work see fit to allow me to sit here not working for decent length of time to get on and do it!! hehehe. Hel just felt a little under the weather and was right as rain for Busch the following day - good job too the rest of us were dead to the world in the back of the people carrier so she had to drive home without any of us being there to talk to - I woke up and asked where are we to the reply of "just pulling into the driveway - you snored ALL the way home!!" Ooops!!
By the way Julie my real name is Ben, Biggus is a reference to my physical size (not necessarily that size you smutty people!![:I]) I'm 6'4" and weigh 20+ stone [:0]hehehehe!!

phaedra
11-04-2003, 17:04
"I'm 6'4" and weigh 20+ stone" Only a tiddler then :D

I'm 6'6" and have no ideal what I weigh! (over 20st though!)

Only 6 days until we go ....... 2 kids off school with earache & vomiting, my IBS playing up, my wife's having trouble finding someone to look after her horse and we haven't got the US$ or travellers cheques yet .... pretty much the norm for us! :D

Looking forward to hearing about Busch as we're there for the 1st 6 days and haven't been before, as long as the white tigers are still there my daughter (8) will be happy :)

Biggus
11-04-2003, 18:26
Phaedra,
They have now got 3 white tigers in addition to the two bengal ones they did have making five in total!! They were considerably more playful (playfights) when we were there this time around -got some wonderful photos, guess when it is very hot all they want to do is sit around and veg!! Will post later all about it!!

steph_goodrum
11-04-2003, 18:47
Phaedra
If your children have earache , I'd strongly recommend you see a doctore before they fly, on one of the airport programmes a child was unable to fly back from Spain for almost 3 weeks because of ear infection and they said that flying with an ear infection could cause the eardrum to burst or cause permanent damage to the hearing.
I'm not trying to worry you but thought I should point it out in case you were unaware of the implications.

Biggus
15-04-2003, 20:33
Right lunch time frantic typing,

Thurs 27th March,
Get up early and drive to Busch Gardens - my first 'long' I4 drive.....Because we are staying in Esprit we go down H27 to the I4 turn then head west, no probs (does anyone else hate way the I4 is built in concrete sections and all you get is the rhythmical 'thump-thump-thump-thump' like you have a flat tyre!!) Anyway rant over, get to Busch (well signposted) forgot to ask when directed to park for preferred parking so had to get the bus from the car park - took ten minutes and preferred would have been a two minute walk (good when knackered when park closes!!) Get in no probs - usual security, decide not to bother with the Sarengheti Safari and headed sraight to Gwazi. This was the only ride closed the last time we went (and the only ride we didn't do) so I was vvvv keen to ride, 'dragged' my mum on it (I'm sooo evil Julie!!) - but she hadn't encountered the 'front row' before and was a little nervous hehehehehe Q'd for about 15 mins. Fantastic ride, almost tempted to tell you to forget metal coasters but then again I love them all!! Next step Rhino Rally, huge thunderstorm halted this (and every other ride) for about 45 mins - we were chuffed that we had Q'd when we had (undercover) watching the soaked to the skin people filing in afterwards made us chuckle!! Got to be the navigator which was funny, two of our party weren't aware of the 'surprise' which was quite entertaining, generally though if this ride is q'd longer than 1/2 hour I personally don't think that it is worth the wait. We then walked back and got the train from Niagra Station round to Congo, mum was a little too scared to ride Kumba so had to pass - no fun riding on your own. Walked around to the 'wet' section, got lockers by Congo River Rapids (have quarters handy) - everyone rode Congo River Rapids and got very wet Q'd for 1/2 hour, squidged (well clothes did) over to Tanganika and Stanley Falls but big thunderstorm halted the rides again. Waited 20 mins for the storm to pass and then 20 for the rides to start again, everyone rode both and had a good laugh. Then went to get dry (and change into spare clothes - essential to take) in toilets by the tigers. When we went back to get photos of the tigers they were play fighting (both Siberian and Bengal) which was great - got it all on camera and loads of decent 'action' photos, wonderful powerful creatures. This topped the day off, just took a leisurely walk back to the Bud facotry thing for the couple of freebies. Considered another ride of Gwazi or quick trip to Montu but by now we were all tired and hungry so got back to the car (via bus) and went to IHOP nearby - not bad but too tired to really worry (Good big Caesar Salad). Wife drove home (I'd had the freebies in the Bud Factory and it showed because I snored al the way home apparently!!)
Gotta go, have been doing this off and on for about 3 hours!! :D:D:D
Stay tuned for Part CCVVVII in about 8 weeks time!!! Next up - Universal and Discovery Cove.

steph_goodrum
15-04-2003, 21:06
"I4 turn then head east"
I'm surprised you found it Biggus isn't it west on the I4 towards Tampa/Busch Gardens?:D

Biggus
15-04-2003, 21:15
Thanks Steph,
It's been a long long long day in work - I have now edited so people do not get the wrong info. Sorry I am such a doofus, but I'm going off to cry now coz you are nasty to me!!![:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

steph_goodrum
16-04-2003, 01:17
Thtat was the only reason I pointed it out Ben, I wasn't sure my geography is hopeless but I have to navigate when we're over as Mick can't concentrate on the road signs and foreign cars!, I just thought if anyone tried to follow the instructions they might have a problem. It was right for when you come home though!:):) You know I don't mean it.:D

Biggus
16-04-2003, 13:06
Steph,
And to think that I did a Geography degree - eeek!! In my defence the junction with the I4 off H27 is very poorly signposted, hehehe. I know you don't mean it, loads of tongue in cheek comments are made on here every day - generally by me!! Like I said I wasn't awake on the trip home - until I came to as the car was turning and asked "Where are we" to which my wife replied "Home and you snored all the way!!!" Oooops!! Will try and get the next section of the saga out today (my boss is on holiday!!) ;););)

dbrook
16-04-2003, 13:15
Hi Biggus,

How long did the journey take to Busch Gardens please. We plan to do it on our next trip and are based at Highlands Reserve just down from you on the US 27.

Looking forward to the Discovery Cove write up which my children are anxious to do.

Diane.

Biggus
16-04-2003, 14:32
Diane,
Roughly an hour(ish) each way, assuming you keep to the speed limits (unlike most of the US drivers - even in their artics!!) follow the directions on the Busch Gardens flyer and is signposted very well. It (like most long drives in Florida) is very boring, not quite as bad as the trip to Kennedy but still not the most fun. Make sure the kids are looking to the right of the road as you approach the 'World of Flight'?? on the I4, whoever is driving should notice the 'downed' white plane first (is it a DC9?) with the parachuting man out the back ......quite a landmark. Hope you have fun, Highlands Reserve looked nice when we played golf - strangely enough I am wearing my HRGC polo shirt today!!

dbrook
16-04-2003, 14:55
Thanks for advertising us Biggus!

It's a long time before we are out at the villa again unfortunately (we've only just been) and with teenage girls and GCSEs next year it looks like being 2004 summer! But we will be visiting Busch Gardens and thanks for timings/directions. We also have guests just asked me how long it takes so the info is very useful, to thanks for that and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Diane.

steph_goodrum
16-04-2003, 15:25
At least if they are doing their gcses diane you may be able to get away a little earlier than the July rush if you can make it before June 30th makes quite a big difference to flight prices. We're stuck this year as doing AS our daughter has to go back after her exams and start on A2 work but next year we can get an early start.

dbrook
16-04-2003, 16:04
Guess we have bought at the wrong time to take advantage of our villa Steph. The following year my second daughter does her GCSEs, then the eldest has AS and A levels, then my 3rd daughter starts with it all. We only get one week off at Spring Bank too.

A lot easier if they are little, working, or if they go to independent schools (longer holidays!).

Diane

steph_goodrum
16-04-2003, 16:19
We're hoping if our daughter goes to UNI next year it will make a signifcant difference to our flight fares. Trouble is you have to make the decision sometime don't you Diane and then work round it. That'a partly why I've stuck to Virgin, at least the flights we've had have earned us miles and although we had enough last year at Christmas for a free flight, kept them for this summer when we are going to California at peak time.

Biggus
16-04-2003, 18:23
Right where was I......oh yeah,

Friday 28th March - Universal Studios
Had a bit of a leisurely lie-in this morning due to long day yesterday. Get to Universal car park about 12ish. Walk along to City Walk (which I love - really gets you in the mood for a good day!!) Hel buys a pair of Oakley sunglasses in the Surf store, ladies in there couldn't be more helpful - I had bought a pair in there the last time we were over (had receipt with me - don't ask me why) so they gave us a little discount - the price is a bargain compared to UK prices about a £40 saving. On to Universal - had the stadard photo in front of the spinning globe (best one of the holiday as it goes). All I really want to ride is MIB and take the newbies on Terminator (evil me!!), so we head straight to T2 - no q'ing as about to start pre-show, didn't watch the actual show as was having too much fun watching my dad and Hel's friend Julia as they shrink in their seats and listening to Hel saying to herself "It isn't real" over and over again like a mantra, whilst gripping my arm very tightly!! (hehehe I am evil!!) Everyone in agreement that this is one fantastic ride, just makes you lose the sense of reality and virtual reality, lost for enough 'excellent' adjectives that describe it. Given that most of the others don't like simulator rides we bypass Back to the Future (didn't rate it first time around really) and head up to MIB. Sort out lockers and pack everything away as no carry on luggage. Q for about 30 mins and have some wicked fun (Angela thanks for the tip of just holding the trigger down for the entire ride) only disappointment was that another batch of single riders arrived as we got down to the front of the Q - the group in front got to ride as a four - we get a right muppet to ride with us to make up the six - ruins the photo because he is pulling a stupid face - thank mate!! Thanks to my inside knowledge I win with 141000ish. Walk round to Jaws - another ride that we bypass (was the worst ride that we did last time - showing it's age!!) just get the photo with the hanging shark and bit of a play on some of the stalls. Then back to the Wild West Stunt show - very funny even though it is still the same show as last time, lots of good photos. Walk round to the bit by Eartquake - Mum and Julia choose to ride - rest of us grab a seat and a drink then soak up some rays. Head towards the New York(?) street sets and get to watch Blues Brothers show - you can tell the Brits - they are the ones up dancing in the street not caring what they look like or who is looking at them like they are loopy!! Enjoy the jigging around then meet Ghostbusters coming up the road - loads of photos - this what I like about the characters being around the parks. Meet Shrek and Lord Farquad(?) for more photos then head to the shop for a few souvenirs then the exit. Back along the travelators (nice when your tired!!) to the car park and then off to Bonanza Golf on the 192 for some mini-golf. Will continue the next instalment when I have more time...............Discovery Cove next.

Amirah
16-04-2003, 20:57
Wal-Mart is indeed a great place!:D

melfrank
03-11-2003, 21:21
On the contrary, the 'muppet' said that you totally ruined the photo!

melfrank
03-11-2003, 21:23
141,000 on MIB. My 4 year old did better than that.