PDA

View Full Version : Flying Unconcious!!! - I Wish!

phaedra
10-04-2003, 07:43
OK Folks, a week to go until or trip to Sunny Florida and my IBS is starting to act up :(

I really don't have a problem with flying apart from being 6'6' and having osteoarthritis in both knees!, my main problem is with IBS, 1st time we flew (Dec 2001) I was extremely ill at Manchester airport for about 3 hour before the flight, took several immodium, gaviscon etc. and had a very rough flight. After seeing my GP he diagnosed IBS, I've tried several changes of diet and various natural relaxants but with no effect. Best advice from my GP is to take 4 to 8 immodium in one go about 3 hours before we fly, I took 4 last Dec and made it to Florida OK (just!).

Ideally I would like to take something when I get on the plane that puts me out for about 6 to 8 hours, if I'm asleep I don't have a problem :) I know there are various natural relaxants but what I'm looking for is something that will definetly put me to sleep.

Other than that I'm looking forward to it :D

I'll be trolling along behind my wife and kids at the parks, looking after water bottles and bags while they go on the rides and generaly just taking things easy, I love Florida and the difference in climate really helps the knees :) And of course I may force myself to visit Walmart once or twice to stock up on clothes etc.

fiona
10-04-2003, 13:57
I suffer with this and acute diverticulitis. I have been put on a no wheat diet and it works very well. I find junk food sets it off, as well as times of stress!

I eat an omelette before we fly and take fruit with me, along with some oat cakes which I can eat with the cheese. And drink plenty of water - no fizz! I eat sparingly from the aircraft food - which is getting so bad I am seriously considering taking a packed salad with me! I find this very effective and has stopped most of the problems I had before, and when you consider I ended up in a coma with internal bleeding a couple of years ago I obviously had to do something drastic. I also try and have a good walk round at the airport which may or may not help!!

I find the occasional bit of freshly made bread or pasta is ok, and try and keep to rice or rice based noodles.

Regarding something to make you sleep I find the melatonin knocks me out fine, but you can only buy it in the States. I do listen to the "calming" tapes they have on one of the radio stations on the plane, that usually has me nodding!!

blott
10-04-2003, 14:44
Phaedra, you and I have exactly the same health probs although I have one more than you!

I just hate flying and would happily fly unconscious if I could but I can't as I'm the person driving when we arrive.

Do you know what, apart from stress, sets off your IBS? I do, it's fruit, tomatoes, corn, etc so it's relatively easy to avoid those before flying. They figure in Fiona's diet above so not all IBS has the same triggers. So... between now and your flying date, my advice would be to keep a diary of what you've eaten and whether your IBS is worse or better so that you can isolate the foods which appear to make it worse and try and avoid them before flying. Also, have you tried Fybogel?

phaedra
10-04-2003, 16:43
Thanks folks :D

I've tried loads of diets throughout the last 16 months, none have had any noticeable effect on the IBS, it seems to be mainly stress triggered, most of the time I stay at home, even taking the kids to school was causing problems. Funy thing is, when I'm in Florida the IBS isn't much of a problem!.

My GP has basically said that I'm not reacting to anything in my diet and that I should just eat what ever I like in sensible amounts!, for the past 6 months I've been having grilled chicken, boiled/baked potatoes and beans or rice (day in, day out!) so a fairly bland diet but again with no real improvement. It's the 3 hours before we fly that worry me, it looks like I'm going to have to use the old immodium again!, unpleasant but it seems to work.

orlandobabe
12-04-2003, 03:49
My homeopathic doctor would tell you to avoid chicken like the plague. Most of the chicken in this country is contaminated. If you are 100% fit and healthy no doubt your body can cope with small amounts-but when you are unwell-and your arthritis is a sign of that -then you are only adding to the stress in your body with more toxins.

I would try to seek out a homeopath that could help you to de-toxify. I wish I could give you the name of my (private)doctor as I know you live in the north east but I left her tonight at 8pm (having arrived for my appointment at 5pm and waited 1hr and 45 mins to see her) and when I left someone else arrived-so she is severely overworked as there are just so many sick people whom the national health service just cannot help.

I first went to see her 6 years ago and had to wait 6 weeks before I could see her and I had no quality of life at all. I was overweight, ill and had no energy. Over the phone she told me to avoid chicken, oranges, tomatoes, anything with wheat, barley or rye in and anything made from cow's milk.

I stuck to this religiously-well I was in the last chance saloon. I went on holiday to Cannes and there was a fresh food market and we ate lots of fish, fruit and veg etc and I felt quite a bit better. Then when I had my appointment I had to take small samples of the things I usually ate. I then added apples, broccoli and lettuce to the list of foods to avoid. She also tested me for all the different bugs in my system and gave me the appropriate remedies to get rid of them. I still see her about 4 times a year for a check up and I'm indebted to her because I got my life back.

Best of luck to you. It's the most awful thing when the food you eat is poisoning the system. I had reached the point where indigestion and bloating were so severe-even a drink of water hurt. Now I very rarely get indigestion.

As regards something to knock you out on the plane-could your doctor prescribe you a small sedative?

movement no movement
20-04-2003, 20:10
Wow you're 6' 6" tall - i'm 6' 2" and i find flying hard without having to contend with IBS.

I mean you're uncomfortable right from the off at our size - and it doesn't matter how many times a 5' 2" air stwardess tells us to sit back and enjoy the ride - the reality is it's not going to be particularly enjoyable experience.

I find that (and may i recommend) a 2mg (very small dose) tablet of diazapam really helps me with my flying nerves and calms me down for the flight.

Not a politically correct / herb type solution

but a solution all the same

sean flude

imported_n/a
21-04-2003, 00:38
Hot tip for you....... Get friendly with a member of staff at your departing airport, and ask for an upgrade. We have found that BA and Virgin to be very helpfull in relation to getting upgraded. Just be polite, friendly, chatty, and even a bit of flirting doesnt go a miss!!! Good luck!:D