PDA

View Full Version : Renting A Villa In December

prancy51
19-06-2005, 09:02
Hi...I am new to the board and have a few questions. We may have an oppurtunity to go to WDW from December 3-11 this year. We won't know for sure until September though. How tough will it be for us to rent a villa on that short of notice? We already have a villa reserved through Orlando Villas for our original dates of April 29 - May 7, but are thinking how nice the parks will be all decked out for Christmas and would love to see the Osborne Christmas lights.

Another deciding factor for us will be what attractions will not be up and running during that first week of December as that week is considered a slow time.

Is there a great difference in the crowd size between those 2 months? Not having to wait in large lines would be a plus, but if there are many attractions closed will be a minus.

Any advise would be helpful. Thank you.

DaveL
19-06-2005, 10:18
All the parks tend to have their Christmas work finished by the end of November and there are extra shows running in lots of places. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is one although it is and extra cost.

This is a very good time to go and we are often there around this time as you get all the benefit of the parks dressed up but without the crowds.

It's possible a few minor attractions that are in the seasonal class might be closed but nothing major unless it was planned for closure over a long period.

The weather will normally be around the mid 60's to low 70's whereas April/May could be a bit warmer. However both of these times are points when the season is changing and it could go either way. You are also likely to get low cost flights as the first two weeks of Dec are the airline low period before the Christmas peak.

Good luck with whatever you decide, as I'm sure you will have a good time.

Regards Dave

luckylady
19-06-2005, 11:04
We often go at this time we love it
The parks are quiet yet all decked out for christmas
You can have great weather not too hot
just a great time to go
GO FOR IT!!!!
Barara

LiesaAnna
19-06-2005, 11:55
we have been twice from the 1st of December to the 15th, it was lovely on both occasions with no waiting times in all the parks we went to, yes there were many people but no queing!!
weather lovely, everywhere was dressed up with christmas trees and decorations and music playing carols in the background!! so lovely, altho its warm its not too hot, so this year we went for a change and have now planned our next one in sept/oct, but back to December all that lovely christmas shopping!!! its a truely wonderful time of year! and as for MGM's Osbourne lights, theyre fantastic!!!
and snow flakes falling, so lovely, it made my trip!!!
put in a search for December and see what else may come up!!!!!!

shenon
19-06-2005, 12:44
We were there early December last year and the weather was lovely and another nice place to see is Celebration they have snow machines every evening and it's really festive and pretty:)

LiesaAnna
19-06-2005, 12:47
we found celebration during the day and took some lovely photos, but do you think we wallys could find it at night??????
gonna have a look next time just to have a meal there!

steph_goodrum
19-06-2005, 13:20
December is certainly a magical time to visit and although the weather will be cooler and the parks close a little earlier there is no shortage of things to do.

You'll often find the villa owners have supplied decorations for your villa as well, many won't put them up in case they have guests of a different religious persuasion and don't want to offend anybody, but most will have some available.
If not et the children choose a few from Walmart etc and have fun (as long as the fabric of the home isn't damaged in any way there should be no obections.

One thing I would say is in order to be fair to the original owner you have booked with then it would best to advise them as soon as possible you may be cancelling and give them the opportunity to rebook the dates as their bills will still have to be paid whatever.

Whichever you decide I hope you have a wonderful stay.

Newhomebuyer
19-06-2005, 13:50
I presume you mean in addition to going in April and May. If it is instead of, then you do need to let your villa owner know ASAP.
The other thing to mention is that many villas will already be booked for December.
It is a great time of year to go, Mickeys Very Merry Chrismas Party is very popular. Here are the 2005 Dates:
November 27,29
December 1,2,4,6,8,9,11,13,15,16,18,20, 2005
Dates are subject to change.
Tickets went on sale April 30, 2005 so you can see how early planning starts.
There is so much more info and if you have the chance to do both visits you will have very different experience in each season.
Angela

Ray&Sarah
19-06-2005, 14:16
If this is in addition to the Apr-May booking I would say definately go, it is fairly quiet and the weather is usually very pleasant. The Christmas lights etc are fantastic too. Orlando is pretty much an all year round season unlike alot of the European resorts and very few things close down for the winter months.[msnsmile]

Linicia
19-06-2005, 14:52
Although you won't know if you can travel until September, you will probably be able to find a nice villa for the beginning of December through one of the three OV sites. If it was nearer to Christmas I would not be too sure as these weeks get booked up way in advance. Of course, the earlier you book the more chance that you will get the villa of your choice. I too, am assuming that you will also be going on the trip already booked, if not, you should contact the owner of the villa you have already booked and explain the situation.

Lynnes
19-06-2005, 15:07
I have been reading this with interest as this year we are going our Nov/Dec. In the past it has always been May and October. This year we wanted to see orlando with Christmas lights etc. It sounds great. Thanks guys!!

prancy51
25-06-2005, 07:34
We would try to stay at the same villa we have booked for May. As of now, the first week in December is available according to his website...and of course, we will contact him if we want to change our plans.

The way things are going around here, I think we're going to have to stick with our original plans. DH has to have surgery on his knee which will set us back some financially, plus, he works for Boeing, and with a new contract coming up in September, we are kind of living in limbo...biting our fingernails, praying that there will be no strike. Don't want to get political here, but geez...Boeing workers have it made in the shade...there is never a reason for a strike..never. Problem with a lot of the workers is that they've never worked in the real world like my DH and I have and don't know how good they have it.

Thanks to everyone for telling me about December in WDW. If you wouldn't mind, could you now tell me about the first week of May?

I've read that Expedition Everest may open at the end of April, plus I've heard read nothing but raving reviews of Epcot's Garden Show.

How are the crowds in early May? Easter is on April 16th next year, so we're hoping that we are at the parks between the Easter crowds and the College Crowds, which I have heard descend on the WDW in the middle of May.

I am so bummed at hearing Body Wars is a seasonal attraction now. I know that some think the ride isn't much, but I was looking forward to seeing everything at Epcot.