PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checker

amy
19-06-2005, 02:41
Just wondering if there is any chance of a spell checker being added to the reply screen, to help us bad spellers?

I know speeling is not everything just look at this;

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt

But it would be a nice touch if we could have a spell checker on the forum.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-06-2005, 02:49
LOL - just read that quickly and it made perfect sense to me :D

We used to have a spell checker on the old version of the forums - I will look into re-introducing it.

Jo
19-06-2005, 03:06
Asked in such a nice way and such a good idea.[msnwink]

I always seem to have to go in and edit my posts as I don't notice the mistakes until after I have posted.

Tried extra hard on this one.[msnsmile2]

DaveL
19-06-2005, 10:36
Why not try this first and save John the work, you can also build up your own personal words. It even allow a U.S. or U.K. setting. The paragraph below is the first from their web site and it's FREE for personal use and has no spy or ad ware attached.

Dave

http://www.iespell.com/

============================================

ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

The program installs as a new button in the IE toolbar (as well as a new menu item under "Tools") - after filling in a form, just hit the ieSpell button and it pops up a dialog, similar to the MS Word spell check. ieSpell also works (right-click menu only) on other IE based browsers

luckylady
19-06-2005, 11:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jo
Asked in such a nice way m and such a good idea.[msnwink]

I always seem to have to go in and edit my posts as I don't notice the mistakes until after I have posted.

Tried extra hard on this one.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
I get caught out this way
My problem I try to type as fast as I can
Spell checker would be great
Barbara

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-06-2005, 14:18
If you use Apple's Safari (like me [msnsmile]) then spell checking is built into the browser. Just make sure Edit &gt; Spelling &gt; Check Spelling As You Type is ticked. You then get red squiggly lines under any words it does not recognise.

LiesaAnna
19-06-2005, 16:12
yes nothing ever recognizes my name!!! Liesa always get a red sqiggly line!![msnwink]

chrisflowers
19-06-2005, 21:30
John

There are some freebie ASP/PHP code snippets that can be added as a spell checker in the advanced mode.

I don't recognise the code this forum has been built with, but guess from the URL it is ASP based