PDA

View Full Version : What to carry in hand luggage

Pluto
17-06-2005, 21:50
Getting really excited now as we have received our tickets and this time next week we will be on the plane:D

We have also received the long list of what you can't take in your hand luggage - one of them being razor blades.

As we are staying overnight at Gatwick and hubby has to shave every morning!!!! will he be able to take his razor (not electric) in his hand luggage or is it best that he throws the blade away before travelling the the airport.

Katys Grandad
17-06-2005, 21:59
Most hotels (especially at airports) will provide a suitable razor (it will be a disposal one). Might be worth asking them in advance. I've never done it but I would think that a razor without blade would be fine in carry-on baggage if you prefer that option.

stabard
17-06-2005, 22:11
If I were you I would just get a disposalble razor to use in the hotel and then throw it away before you leave for the airport.

amy
17-06-2005, 22:20
he will not be able to take it in the hand luggage, if you are not checked in, can you not put it in the case as you leave the hotel? otherwise you will have to dispose of it.

E. Cosgrove
17-06-2005, 22:54
This makes me laugh, we were lucky enough to travel upper class last year and guess what was in my husbands complimentary toiletry kit.....A disposable razor![msnoo]

StuartTurner
17-06-2005, 23:47
I travel a lot with work and quite often it is for 2-3 days, I just take a carry on and usually that has my razor in the toliet bag. I have never been asked to leave it.

Also travelled to Orlando with Virgin in March this year - no problem with the razor as we stayed over the night before.

Pluto
18-06-2005, 00:18
Thanks everyone

Hubby thinks he will leave it in the toilet bag and if they stop him from taking it on board he will take the blade off and dispose of it. But from a few of the replies hopefully there will not be a problem.

Amy - we are using Twilight check in so will not have our cases the next morning.

Katys Grandad
18-06-2005, 00:45
I've also had a disposal razor in an onboard amenity kit in the last few months.

I've often wondered if they have plastic cutlery on Air Force 1. Somehow, I doubt it!!!!

StuartTurner
18-06-2005, 01:34
Twilight checkin - what a wonderful scheme! It makes our life so much easier when travelling with our twin daughters (nearly 3).

Karen - have a great time.

domster
20-06-2005, 14:16
Is a disposable razor allowed on hand luggage. Just seen loads of them at heathrow security section!

I have never had a problem and thought they were OK, but was suprised to see so many of them in the amnesty box.

Lesley and John
20-06-2005, 15:00
A colleague I was with had his confiscated. He had to buy one at the hotel when we arrived.
John

julieanne
20-06-2005, 15:05
I thought it was funny that in the on-board shopping magazine you could buy a souvenir lighter - but you are not allowed lighters in either checked or carry on baggage [msnscared]

gromit
22-06-2005, 01:48
Lighters were removed from BA duty free a while back and we were told all airlines were the same?!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
I thought it was funny that in the on-board shopping magazine you could buy a souvenir lighter - but you are not allowed lighters in either checked or carry on baggage [msnscared]
[/quote]

Badger
22-06-2005, 02:20
When we left Sanford last week they confiscated my pipe lighter. I was told that it was possible to buy safety matches within the airport but no matter what shop I tried no-one sold them. The barman at the airport bar had a lighter on his person but to use it you had to buy a drink!! I have never seen anything like this before and I thought it amounted to blackmail. It didn't bother me overly as I enjoyed a couple of pints of Boddingtons! Also, when we left Cardiff my wife had a small pair of nail scissors in her vanity bag, they measured them and we were allowed to carry on but coming back from the USA they confiscated them, don't understand why the rules should vary.

blott
22-06-2005, 02:52
The rules vary because the UK and US are two different countries. Sometimes the rules are international ones though and apply to all countries and sometimes they're national rules.

Checking with your airline what security measures are in operation for your flights is a good idea or, if that fails, there are large notices at check-in desks and security areas giving info about what you can and can't carry aboard and where things should be packed.

Rules do change from time to time - knitting needles were banned not so long ago in hand luggage but they have recently relaxed the rules on carrying these.

Elaine62
02-07-2007, 17:21
sorry I can't find a more current topic on this.

I wanted to find out whate we can take in our hand luggage with Virgin.

We'll all have mp3 players and I'll have hand cream/lipsyl/wet ones, are these all allowed?

Also can we buy some bottles of irn bru in departures (500ml) size and take them on board with us?

Thanks

Elaine

mizzy
02-07-2007, 17:50
Hi Elaine

if you look at virgin atlantics website it's all on there, all the latest security guidance is there too

quick google will bring up the link, cannot be posted on here

from the home page, using the left hand menu it's under passenger information and then baggage restrictions

Mizzy

solanasunshine
02-07-2007, 18:41
I had my lipsyl confiscated and disposed of even after the luggage check in clerk said it was okay to have in my hand luggage, though I was able to buy another one after we had gone through the security bit and were in the duty free area.

blott
02-07-2007, 19:43
There was a mega row going on when we went through security at Orlando on Saturday as one person had all her make up, creams, etc confiscated from her hand luggage as it was over the amount allowed (100 ml) and what wasn't over the allowance wasn't in a resealable polythene bag 8 x 8 inches either.

The security staff at Orlando were x-raying hand luggage and going over individual bags with a hand scanner too as well as manual searching. I'm guessing that there's not much that will 'slip through' (whether by mistake or not) currently.

Virgin's guidelines now say that you're not allowed to carry matches (it used to be just lighters) so I think they may be on a general non-smoking mission!

Elaine62
03-07-2007, 02:42
sorry, forgot Gillian was logged on.

Here's my query:

"sorry I can't find a more current topic on this.

I wanted to find out whate we can take in our hand luggage with Virgin.

We'll all have mp3 players and I'll have hand cream/lipsyl/wet ones, are these all allowed?

Also can we buy some bottles of irn bru in departures (500ml) size and take them on board with us?"

Thanks

Elaine

blott
03-07-2007, 03:25
Gill (Solanasunshine) said she had her Lipsyl confiscated when going through Security (see above).

Hand cream and wet ones would have to be in your plastic sealable bag as 'liquids' includes cream, gel, etc.

Don't know if you can get Irn Bru in Departures? If you can, as far as I'm aware, anything purchased after Security is OK to take on board with you.

Katys Grandad
03-07-2007, 10:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Virgin's guidelines now say that you're not allowed to carry matches (it used to be just lighters) so I think they may be on a general non-smoking mission!
[/quote]

Except where an airline has a dedicated terminal (which is rare) I'm curious how any particular carrier can have individual rules when the security searches are carried out by terminal staff for all passengers.

Do Virgin have a secondary search in both directions?

blott
03-07-2007, 11:20
Nope. But I guess they can dictate what can and can't be carried on their planes perhaps, even if they don't check?

Katys Grandad
03-07-2007, 11:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Nope. But I guess they can dictate what can and can't be carried on their planes perhaps, even if they don't check?
[/quote]

Thanks, I suppose my question should have been how they can ENFORCE their own rules.

bargainqueen
06-07-2007, 13:46
Solanasunshine - was your lipsyl confiscated because it wasn't in a plastic bag?

At Stansted there are signs saying that they are no longer providing plastic bags so everyone should make sure they take there own to the the airports. Ziplocks bags can be bought in most Poundlands stores and also in DollarTree stores in Florida.

ravtino
06-07-2007, 14:59
I love my lypsyl on the plane, they get so dry, so will be packing it in plassy bag