PDA

View Full Version : Mount Dora

sarahjane
08-04-2003, 21:52
Does anyone know about this Town/area as we are looking at properties on the net around there and it seems a very pleasent area.

janny
08-04-2003, 22:20
http://www.mountdora.com/

I don't know any thing about the area but here is its web site.
Maybe the residents on here can tell you what you want to know.

Cowboy
09-04-2003, 00:15
Hi sarahjane,
We visited Mount Dora a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful little place and seems very residential. There is a large lake and a boat builders yard and fishing. It was very quiet when we visited (September)but it seemed that they catered for quite a few visitors in the busy periods judging by the parking places. I may be wrong but I think that the railway which took visitors on a ride around the lake has now finished running. There is a trail which goes around the lake. The residents we saw seemed to be mainly retired people. The bowling green was full of people playing bowls.
From memory it is about a two and a half hour drive from Orlando.

Mike:)

orlandobabe
10-04-2003, 23:21
Hi Sarah
Our daughter was married in Mt Dora in October and no visit to Orlando would be complete without a visit to our favourite place.

It is an hour's drive from Orlando-either straight up the 27 to the 19 and follow the signs to Tavares or up the 441 and follow the signs to Mt Dora. The people are so friendly there-it's like stepping into a bygone time. There's lots of lovely shops to browse around, antiques, curios, crafts and lovely places to eat. The Garden Gate tea rooms where my daughter had her reception is wonderful.

I believe that the steam train is still running. There's a year round Xmas shop and the first weekend in February they have a fantastic open air antique and craft fair.

Make sure you visit-you'll not regret it.

orlandobabe
10-04-2003, 23:23
Friends of ours bought a nice 2 bed villa with no pool-as they are close to the communal one in Tavares for a really good price. This was at Metro Lake Village-which try as we might we couldn't find! We had to meet them at The Garden Gate and then followed their car!

esprit
11-04-2003, 02:07
It is lovely for a day out but I am not sure I would want to live there. We went mid week and it was very quiet. As stated a lot of retired people. If you are looking to rent, then I think it may be too far away from the bright lights to rent well, though you might get snowbirds in Winter.

Theresa
11-04-2003, 22:38
We went last year on someones recommendation but personally found it too quiet and nothing to do. The kids even took their fishing rods but that didn't keep them amused for very long. Didn't think it was worth the drive.

sarahjane
12-04-2003, 02:53
Thanks very much for all responses.