PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair Accessability

LonnieH
08-04-2003, 01:23
Hi All!

I'm in a wheelchair and i'm looking for wheelchair accessable villas only, roll-in shower. Preferably a 2 suite 4 br villa. Any help is much appreciated! There's just too many villas to choose from and they all seem great!

Thanks,
Lonnie [8D]

fiona
08-04-2003, 01:30
Hi Lonnie, and welcome to the forum.

Is a roll in shower a shower with a seat?

I'm from the UK and we have different terminology about somethings - you know the old saying, separated by a common language!

LonnieH
08-04-2003, 01:38
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the reply, by saying roll-in shower I mean that I can roll a shower chair(wheelchair made to be used in the shower)into the shower area without any troubles!:)

ref#386 is an example.

Thanks,
Lonnie

quote:Originally posted by fiona

Hi Lonnie, and welcome to the forum.

Is a roll in shower a shower with a seat?

I'm from the UK and we have different terminology about somethings - you know the old saying, separated by a common language!

fiona
08-04-2003, 01:53
Thanks Lonnie, I had extensive discussions with my husband on this one and he was right - should be of course as he sells bathrooms to builders merchants!!

We have a lip on our walk-in shower to ensure the seal on the shower door, which doesn't make it that easy. I'm going to have a quick peek at the one at 386, but I imagine what you need is a wet room.

I can't see any reference to their bathrooms, and our house is identical and was built by the same builder, so I would have throught had the same bathroom. However, we don't have a handrail fromt the pool, so I feel I was right in my original feeling not to respond to you offering our villa as it wouldn't be much quite what you were looking for.

There are a several owners on here whose villas are able to take those less mobile, although they may not have availability.

It's hard to choose though isn't it Lonnie, all the villas on here are all so lovely!

LonnieH
08-04-2003, 02:02
It sure is a lengthy process! like you said it seems almost ALL of the villas are lovely! This is my first adventure into florida and renting a villa so it's kind of overwhelming!
A small lip isnt a real problem, its having enough room to get the chair in there! As far as the pool, I won't be using it but we're going with another family so everyone else will be using it. It may still work!:)

quote:Originally posted by fiona

Thanks Lonnie, I had extensive discussions with my husband on this one and he was right - should be of course as he sells bathrooms to builders merchants!!

We have a lip on our walk-in shower to ensure the seal on the shower door, which doesn't make it that easy. I'm going to have a quick peek at the one at 386, but I imagine what you need is a wet room.

I can't see any reference to their bathrooms, and our house is identical and was built by the same builder, so I would have throught had the same bathroom. However, we don't have a handrail fromt the pool, so I feel I was right in my original feeling not to respond to you offering our villa as it wouldn't be much quite what you were looking for.

There are a several owners on here whose villas are able to take those less mobile, although they may not have availability.

It's hard to choose though isn't it Lonnie, all the villas on here are all so lovely!

steph_goodrum
08-04-2003, 06:45
Hi Lonnie
I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for somewhere on the site. I'm sorry we couldn't help , I thought ours may not be practical when I responded.
If there are any items , such as the shower chair etc, you wish to hire when you arrive instead of taking them with you, some of our guests have used
Walker Medical & Mobility Products 407 331 9500 who offer free delivery to Orlando area homes and hotels.
Might save a bit of luggage space.

chris
08-04-2003, 12:36
I'm another one who responded to your enquiry but now realise its not really suitable. Knock villa 129 off your list.Sorry

orlandobabe
27-04-2003, 21:32
To get what you require you really need to ask for a villa that has been purpose built for someone in a wheelchair. I know that there are quite a few UK owners of purpose built villas in the Orlando area who are disabled themselves who can offer you a wheel -in shower, pool hoist, wider doorways, toilet with grab rails, bed's with electric hoists or lifting poles, level/ramped access etc I just don't think we have any of those owners on our site.

Also because of the extra facilities these villas may be a bit more expensive.

stuart
30-04-2003, 20:53
Orlandbabe,

We don't think you've noticed our villa on VRV, ref 534. It has some adapations to make it wheelchair friendly. We have a slope to the front door, all doorways have been widened, we have a roll-in shower in one of the master en-sites aswell as a handrail. We,also,have a handrail into the pool. As yet, we don't have any hoists though.
We're getting quite a lot of enquiries from our wheelchair users aswell as some bookings, which we're really pleased about.:)

Stuart & Kim

LonnieH
01-05-2003, 03:29
Hi All,
I'm not having much luck finding a 2 suite villa that has 1 master wheelchair accessible. Any ideas?

LonnieH

Ruth
01-05-2003, 14:40
Hi Lonnie,
I think I have received an enquiry from you via another web site. I have replied this morning and I have also sent you a PM:)