PDA

View Full Version : The Gibbos hit Orlando Part 4

bluebirds
12-06-2005, 20:06
Saturday 28th May 2005
Everyone up early for breakfast as we wanted to be at Discovery Cove(DC)as close to opening as possible to get a good time for the dolphin swim. After booking in we were told our swims would be 11.00am for us and 11.10 for Michele and family. Apparently we had indicated a time with the agent when we booked in the UK. We did not remember as it was over a year ago. After settling in and getting changed.(big bonus for me, i had only myself to look after,Pete had the boys.)we waited for the swim. After the orientation in the hut or cabana to give it's proper name we made our way to the water. All i can say it was freezing.Even though the sun was beating down, the water the dolphins swim in is cold. We all had just the jackets on. Our little group of 8 was introduced to the dolphin. Who was called 'Hutch'. We had a small german boy in our group who was on his own, so his dad was allowed to interpret for him.The whole dolphin experience is something the family will never forget. Ok the package is expensive but it is perhaps a once in a life time experience. You get to feel,kiss,wash and best of all a short swim with your dolphin. After the swim you are taken to the photo hut were choose what photo package you require. Again expensive but you want to recall those memories. After the swim, we donned our snorkels and masks and negoiated the warm river that runs through DC. The boys have never snorkeled before and were soon snorkeling with everybody else. Lunch is included in the price and was extremely good. After lunch we set off to the coral reef to swim with the rays and tropical fish. Again the water is cold but you get used to it very quickly. I did not get to see alot of fish as Adam totally refused to swim with the rays. Pete and Kieran spent ages with the fish and really enjoyed watching the sharks and barracudas.(behind glass i hastened to add.)We also visited the aviary and we all had birds flying onto our hands and heads. All too soon it was time to go. We spent the evening in Old Town watching the car cruise. It was packed. In amongst the crowds we hear a cry of 'It's Kieran' only to turn around to find friends from school standing right beside us. Its a small world.
The cars were fantastic and the atmosphere in Old Town was great.Not to be missed. Even though we did no theme parks today i can honestly say today was one of the best of the holiday, something both families won't forget.

Sunday 29th May
And on the 7th day the Gibbos rested. Today was tan day by the pool and shopping. The news of the day was Adam learnt to swim. He took off his swim vest and with the aid of dad and Steve he managed to swim on his own.Not only did Adam learn to swim on the holiday so did Ryan. Well done boys. After a few hourss relaxing in the sun we set of for a tour around I-Drive and beyond.(and we did not get lost). We visited Orlando Premium Outlet Centre and had a look around to see what bargains there were. Later in the day we went to the Pirates Dinner Show. This i am afraid was the biggest disappointment of the holiday. The show was mediocre,along with the food. They are also trying to take money off you at any opportunity: face painting,programmes,photos and flashy lights for the children to wave around for no apparent reason.The actors looked bored to death, and our server was useless, she kept getting everything wrong. At the end she brought out her gratuity plate. They even tell you how much you have to tip. We thought our service was inadequate and did not tip what was expected. IE 5 DOLLARS PER ADULT AND 3 DOLLARS PER CHILD. We felt fleeced that night, would never go back, not even if it was a freebie!!!!!!!!!

E. Cosgrove
12-06-2005, 22:11
Sorry about the disappointing dinner show, but all in all it sounds like you were having a fantastic time!!

walden64
12-06-2005, 22:17
Thanks for another great report - looking forward to the next installment.

I do have to agree with your view of The Pirates Dinner Show - it is something that I would never do again, it was sooooooooooo bad that I refused to let my friend pay me for her ticket. However,when my sister in law went she thought it was fantastic - they had great food and the kids thought it was wonderful.

Discovery Cove sounds great I know that it is something the children would like to do and I am sure that we will get round to doing it eventually.

Pluto
13-06-2005, 00:02
Another great report. I was especially interested to hear about Discovery Cove as we have booked to go on 4 July:D

LiesaAnna
13-06-2005, 00:51
sounds great! apart from the dinner show, anyway i cant tell you how pleased i am for Adam!!!! good job you didnt spend a fortune on that swim vest![msnwink]
am really looking forward to the next part!!!! and of course the photos!![msnwink]

Madabouttigger
13-06-2005, 21:18
Love the trip report, thanks for sharing and we will give the Pirates a miss!

Diane.

DisneyDreamer
14-06-2005, 00:17
Well done Adam and Ryan....and still thoroughly enjoying your report :D

Ray&Sarah
14-06-2005, 03:57
Another great report, sorry the dinner show was such a disppointment, haven't seen that one, so don't think we'll bother. Great to hear your boys are swimming, as a mother of two very keen swimmers who learn't to swim because there Dad insisted that they should and have lived in a pool most of the time since.[msnwink][msnsmile2]

bluebirds
15-06-2005, 18:53
The swim vest Liesa was brilliant. It did the job. He looks a natural now splashing around at the local pool.