PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida

Sueb
11-06-2005, 19:53
Hi

Please can anyone help, my family are thinking of moving to Florida and I would like to know if anyone could tell me what the schools are like in the Kissimmee area, the children are 11 and 13.

Thanks alot

Sueb

florida4sun
11-06-2005, 19:55
Hello,
the schooling is not good, about 2 to 3 years behind UK schooling. If you do a search on the forum you find lots of threads about it.

esprit
11-06-2005, 22:05
There are some schools which are better than others. Celebration is good but at the age your kids are they would be in the middle school and you have to live in Celebration for that. A lot of people will rent a condo or townhome initially anyway to get in catchment. Martin is right, they are behind the UK. My son, who got all Cs in his AS levels came here and was an A grade student from day one. Brit kids find school easy, your problem comes if you go home.

LiesaAnna
11-06-2005, 22:19
welcome to the forum!
as advised above go to the search in the bar at the top of the page and tap in what you need to know and am pretty sure you will find much info!

Ray&Sarah
11-06-2005, 22:26
Welcome to the forum Sue, sounds as though your friends kids would be well advanced at school if they moved to Florida.[msnsmile2]

Rocco
21-06-2005, 00:02
Seminole County have the best schools. My partner is English and until our house closes we are renting short term. We've stayed in a couple of very nice houses and it's great for a vacation area but to settle? My personal opinion is there is nothing here. Why settle in an area full of people who are leaving every 2 or 3 weeks which if you have children is not good if they're friends leave that often? We're getting married very shortly and I will be the first to admit she had a very hard time adjusting to normal Floridian life, she constantly wanted to live a Disney vacation! We're moving about 50 miles away from this area and now she finally is starting to blend.

Super Ted
21-06-2005, 00:08
I thought That Seminole Area had some of the most established homes and best scools

esprit
21-06-2005, 05:15
Lake Mary is very nice up there.

Rocco
21-06-2005, 08:42
My fiance asked me to read this on the computer and asked me to add something. Hope it helps.

When I first came here from England he told me I fought against everything. I found literally everything to be slow paced, frustrating and hard work. All the rules and laws which I had been told were in place to apparently protect me as a consumer or client seemed to work against me. I noticed that children here weren't up to the same standards at school, not by a long chalk. That worried me and so did the fact that everytime we went to view a house outside the Disney area, there could be a great house which was set between two ugly shacks. And that apparently was normal for here.

Agreed that children are behind in schools compared the UK, there is no argument about that. But on the other hand there are other things here which even the UK cannot compare to. Kids here have Summer school where they have educational lessons in order to catch up and earn credits, and sporting activities. Not like England where we have 6-7 weeks school holidays in the summer and kids are just left to their own devices. School here is all encompassing. My son will be getting his driver's permit shortly (he's 16) and he's very excited about that. I think there's a broader range of different classes here, and a lot of focus is on social skills, which builds children's confidences, unlike the UK, where we tend to overlook that. Kids meet up Friday nights and weekends and just hang out, go to movies, play pool, swim or have a pizza and thats nice to see.

Life is very different here, I spent the first two or three months very frustrated, angry and upset. There were times I just wanted to return home again and obviously that was upsetting for everyone. Then I realised I had signed up for 'the programme' so to speak and had to see it through.

Unless you are 100% committed to the total change in lifestyle and not unrealistic in thinking that it will be like one long Disney holiday (like I did) then don't come to Florida is my advice. It's far more expensive living here than you could ever imagine. Yes house prices are cheaper, but take into consideration the cost of living overall here, the wages are really low for a lot of people here and that's WHY. Dental and medical are ridiculously high, even food isn't that cheap. You might think eating out is cheap but if you are living and earning to the dollar and not the pound (sorry this keyboard doesn't have our pound symbol!!) it's actually not that cheap. When you are shopping on 192 think realistically that a dollar is like a pound and when you realise you are 2-3 dollars for bread, 3 dollars for milk, 4 dollars for toothpaste; imagine that in pounds and then you will see it's not cheap is it? It offends us that so many local shops charge tourists these terrible prices, when outside this area, it's much different.

Oh and by the way, if you are thinking about living an extended Disney holiday....don't. It gets old after a short time and it's expensive. The restaurants and diners on 192 aren't good in comparison to other places and the prices are higher and the choice isn't great. I used to think it was unbelievably good and now I've been taught otherwise. PS... there are a lot of slums here too. Good luck though, it's not all bad, but if you don't come with exactly the right attitude, it can be.

Oh and for the people on the E2 visas which I've just been reading about. How awful! I admire your guts in doing this, but what a risk. I wish you all lots of luck, I wouldn't do it, but understand for some there is no other way so I hope it all works out for you. Has anyone ever had their children sent home? And if so, what happened then? Where do these children go to when they are sent back to England? What a nightmare. God bless.

Patsy

blott
21-06-2005, 16:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rocco
When you are shopping on 192 think realistically that a dollar is like a pound and when you realise you are 2-3 dollars for bread, 3 dollars for milk, 4 dollars for toothpaste; imagine that in pounds and then you will see it's not cheap is it? It offends us that so many local shops charge tourists these terrible prices, when outside this area, it's much different.

[/quote]Patsy, thank you for a very honest opinion.

There's just one thing I don't and probably will never understand and that is what you're saying about prices. I've heard it before and I've never managed to work it out!

A dollar isn't like a pound at all, it's value is far less than a pound. I think this is where the problem lies when trying to compare prices - if you're thinking a dollar is a pound, then you're getting the wrong price impression altogether.

If we take an exchange rate of 1.8, then your $2-3 for bread comes to £1.11 - £1.66 which is not that far off what you'd pay for a fancy loaf in the UK. The bog standard sliced bread we buy in Florida is about 70 cents a loaf - that's 38p a loaf. The similar sliced loaf we buy in the UK is 84p (or $1.52).

$3 for milk is £1.66 - 6 pints of milk at my UK supermarket is £1.63.

$4 for toothpaste is £2.22 - a bog standard Colgate toothpaste is £1.99.

Sure, things like dental and healthcare are all private and therefore expensive (as they would be in the UK if you paid completely privately for it) but you should have some insurance to pay at least in part for these.

Petrol/gas is much more expensive in the UK - currently it's around 84 - 89p per litre but, when we were in the US last month, gas was $2.20 a gallon. Filling up a car tank cost me about $25 (£13.88) in Florida whereas in the UK doing the same thing cost me £49 ($88.20) the other day!

So, in some cases there are only pennies (cents) difference in the prices but in some other cases there are lots of difference.

If you want to compare the prices of UK supermarkets, you can do this online at http://www.tesco.com or http://www.sainsburys.co.uk or http://asda.co.uk

chrizzy100
21-06-2005, 18:05
It don't work like that Blott.....you have to forget the pound..and live like a $ is a pound.....we are nolonger paid in England...but in the USA...when you bring home $200 a week here.....thats it....we don't get 200 pounds so you end up getting fee money like when your on holiday.....so $3 for bread...is a lot of money.......it takes time and a few years of living here to know how much more the cost of living is.....

Rocco
21-06-2005, 19:58
That's what I'm saying Chrizzy. When you live here you have to stop thinking about what it is in English pounds. You don't get paid in pounds you get paid in dollars and you live in dollars. And if you start to realise that then you also realise it's expensive. Think Blott that the toothpaste are the prices I've quoted in dollars are actually pounds and take a look at the jobs offered here and the wages paid and THEN you'll realise just why so many Americans dont have medical insurances etc because they simply cannot afford to.

blott
21-06-2005, 22:34
American citizens are not what we're discussing here, we're discussing about people from the UK going to live in Florida.

I think there are many more people buying businesses than getting jobs in Florida at the minute and their income is therefore what they should have known before purchase and what they make of their business in the future.

If income and expenditure are as you describe, then that tells me that people haven't done their homework properly and, if they're moving to Florida for a supposedly lower standard of living, then why go?

I was just talking to the person who does my nails here this afternoon and she tells me she used to go into Manchester for a meal with wine every Saturday. She's saving up for her wedding at the mo so can't afford that now as it cost her £80 - £90 ($144 - $162) for two. You'd probably get a meal like that in Orlando for less than $40 if you want so, sorry, using that analogy, incomes would need to be at least more than three times lower.

I still can't see how it's more expensive to live in Florida but, if it is, then what's exactly the point of anyone going to live there if they'd be better of financially in the UK?

Rocco
21-06-2005, 23:13
But you don't necessarily move abroad just for a lower cost of living do you? Trust me, I've lived in both places now and there is NO lower standard of living here and that's why so many British people just sell up and go home within a couple of years. Because they were sold a dream, which can quickly turn into a nightmare if you buy into a dream and not a complete change of lifestyle. Which means integrating into the American community and not staying and living your whole life on 192/27. There IS nothing here, I've learned that. There's no where proper to go shopping, it's all tacky buffets and dollar stores.

For me, it was to be with my partner who I met back in last year.

blott
22-06-2005, 02:23
This info is pretty crucial for anyone thinking of moving to Florida so it's important to get it straight for them.

If the incomes are low and living expenses are high (which is what you said before), then that would give people moving to Florida a lower standard of life than perhaps they had in the UK. Only a confused person would want to move somewhere for a lower income and higher expenses I would imagine - just a personal opinion.

You're now saying there's no lower standard of life in Florida so now even I'm confused (and I'm not thinking of moving there)!

Some people, who have bought businesses (or are thinking of doing so) will be tied to the 192/27 (if you like) because of the nature of the business they have purchased, ie their business relates to the tourist industry in some way.

What would be your advice to people wishing to move to Florida then, particularly those who may be thinking of buying a business relating to the tourist industry? Will they earn less money than they did in the UK and face higher living expenses or the opposite, ie obtain higher income and cheaper living expenses?

Rocco
22-06-2005, 02:39
Sorry I meant to say there is no higher standard of living here, my mistake

Rocco
22-06-2005, 02:48
Well there is no right and wrong here, it's all a matter of perception really. For some people it's about having a bigger house which don't get me wrong, on the whole the houses are bigger yes. But in truth there is so much here you have to pay and believe me the processes here are so complicated you want to cry. It gets you down with important issues when people don't return your phone calls or the wait to get it sorted is unbelievably long[}:)]

My opinion is that if the perception is a bigger house as a higher standard of living, then yes. If it's with regard to money then it's tough out here. And I think most British people who actually live out here would tell you that. Would I go home? No, my life is here now. Could now I afford to go back home if I wanted? Probably not either.

With regard to living around the tourist industry. Well that's a gamble isn't it? I mean after September 11th the tourist industry fell through the floor. You can go all over Florida and pick another kind of business you aren't tied to the Orlando/Kissimmee area. Like I said before I think it's a very brave move with regard to E2 visas...is it something i would have considered? no, because from what I read, i'd be frightened for my children at 21.

blott
22-06-2005, 03:31
Thanks! :) That's some really interesting advice then from someone 'on the ground' which may help other people who want to move to Florida to do some research.

I think most Florida home owners on the forums would agree with you about being frustrated getting anyone to call you back or get anything done with any sense of urgency! It's difficult to know how people will cope with that complicated Florida ethos on a permanent basis as it's immeasurably more frustrating than it is in the UK and it's something that most people don't consider before moving there.

Rocco
22-06-2005, 06:53
I hope it helped it wasn't meant to encourage or put someone off. It was just my personal opinion on my experiences. I've met quite a few English people while I've been here and we all tell similar tales to each other. The point everyone who moves here must remember is that you are not to confuse a life here with your Disney holiday. Because like I said, if it's the pool villas, 192 diners and theme parks which pull you here, it does get old. If I had a relationship which wasn't as strong, I'd probably be back in England right now.

chrizzy100
22-06-2005, 07:20
That's what I'm saying Chrizzy. When you live here you have to stop thinking about what it is in English pounds. You don't get paid in pounds you get paid in dollars and you live in dollars. And if you start to realise that then you also realise it's expensive. Think Blott that the toothpaste are the prices I've quoted in dollars are actually pounds and take a look at the jobs offered here and the wages paid and THEN you'll realise just why so many Americans dont have medical insurances etc because they simply cannot afford to.
[/quote]

We were bringing home the same in the USA as we were in the UK in real terms .....we never counted my husband on call money that we had extra in the UK because that was a plus for us and we could never count on it...........

My husband went from 40k in pounds to $65k in the USA....Fine you would think....but all my USA bills were a lot more in real terms......I had a 25 pound a month heating bill in the UK.....and a $300 one in the USA.....a 40 pound food bill in the UK.....and a $130 one in the USA.....and the list goes on......it was a shock.....all that extra money we though we would have.. gone on everyday living......
We have made our money work for us here.....but if we had come over with no house to sell in the UK......we would have no home of our own right now...and very old cheap cars.....

chrizzy100
22-06-2005, 07:32
I hope it helped it wasn't meant to encourage or put someone off. It was just my personal opinion on my experiences. I've met quite a few English people while I've been here and we all tell similar tales to each other. The point everyone who moves here must remember is that you are not to confuse a life here with your Disney holiday. Because like I said, if it's the pool villas, 192 diners and theme parks which pull you here, it does get old. If I had a relationship which wasn't as strong, I'd probably be back in England right now.
[/quote]

I'm in a few forums that just deal with people moving to different parts of the USA.......and the cost of living comes up time and time again...it takes a little while before the newbies become old hands and start agreeing with the rest of us.....LOL!

22-06-2005, 10:25
This thread is so refreshing and honest!!

We have been through the moving to Florida/USA thing twice in the last 10 years and have finally decided its a no no, if I was going to move it would not be to Florida (its a very poor state) it would be elsewhere, but we are not. We had a business the same as we have here so that would not be a problem, its the schools and bringing up children there that would bother me.

Thanks Rocco your advice IMHO is spot on!!![clap][clap][clap]

esprit
22-06-2005, 20:06
Rocco ( Patsy) I thought your post was spot on. Living here is expensive. You have to think of the £ as a dollar because you are now earning in dollars. We earn less than half as much here as we did in the UK. Salaries are lower here. The ower benefit for the avarage mum and pop business and the one set as required for E2 is $60,000, which is only £32,000 for two people. When our son a radiographer qualified for less than a year visited us, he was richer than us and treating us. To be frank he felt rich because of the exchange rate and was earning at least as much as the two of us do in dollars. $3 for a jug of milk is dear. Not to you, but to us it seems it. When I was a holidaymaker I used to shop for my clothes in Premium Outlets. $50 for a skirt was only £27. Now I shop in WalMart or Ross. $50 now is a lot of money to me, the equivalent in my mind of paying £50 for a skirt.

Dont come here thinking it is like it is on holiday. Many people move into their holiday home but few stay there, they move quickly off into residential areas. The sight of people on holiday when you are working and to be frank their different lifstyle and the fact they are on a different time pattern galls. You may think you will go to the parks, we have annuals and do occasionally but only if they have something special on or something new, other than that the same old rides and shows are just boring. Life here is just like life there really, only the weather is better. Dont think I dont like it. I do. I love my home in Celebration and my friends. But it isnt like even I, after 7 years visiting the country as a homeowner, thought it would be. Life just becomes normal and apart from the lousy TV and the fact it may be sunny outside, you could be anywhere.

Kids sent back? I have known one. He was 18 and had been here since 6. Made a mistake of wanting to work with Dad in the biz and not go to college. They had to buy him his own business. So E2 self perpetuates. That option is always there but my son does not wish to end up mowing lawns or doing pools as a life sentence.

Rocco
22-06-2005, 20:08
It's not so much that it is a very poor state. This is what I have learned. There is a lot of money in Florida. A lot of investment money, tourism money etc. The problem is that from what I see WDW basically governs this area if not the state. Because they are obviously a major if not THE major employer and they pay absurdly bad wages. Therefore it sets the precident for all the other wages for this tourist area/state. People here are incredibly badly paid. I met several waitresses who get paid $2 per hour and then have to rely on tips to make a wage. I don't understand why the employers pay so badly because just a few years ago you could eat out in the buffets for like $1.99 for breakfast and then $5.99 for dinner, now its averaging $3.99/$10.99 so with that vast increase I don't see how they can justify this. Secretaries etc they are very poorly paid. I don't know how people live I really don't. And as for medical care, well I've met quite a few Brits who've moved over and they have had to lapse on that too. This isn't meant to put anyone off, there are a lot of great things about here, like if you travel out a bit there are some very nice places to visit and eat which won't cost you a fortune, the people are always friendly. But prepare properly, I like to think I did, but if I'm really honest I didn't foresee a lot of this, I walked straight into it. And it can really make you unhappy if you overlook these things and not listen to those who already know what the score is. So yes, go ahead and move but try to prepare better than I did and like I said, don't base ANYTHING on your Disney holiday. So travel Florida, stay in different areas, get a feel for the actual state. Good luck everyone

chrizzy100
22-06-2005, 20:37
I'm OK with people being on holiday......but then I've spent a lot of my life living in or near seaside towns in England.......or somewhere people like to visit..like Titchfield village...and Portchester castle....

Rocco
22-06-2005, 21:17
It's ok providing you don't have children, because as mine have found out it's no fun when their friends leave every 2 weeks.

chrizzy100
22-06-2005, 21:30
It's ok providing you don't have children, because as mine have found out it's no fun when their friends leave every 2 weeks.
[/quote]

We live in a one time retirment area....and a lot of the people have lived here since it was built..we were the first couple under 60 to move in....so my son had no friends nearby....the only kids he played with were the summer kids.......he was OK with that because we had a lot of sleep overs.......so really in the USA its not odd for your kids friends to live miles away..and not next door.......

Rocco
22-06-2005, 21:43
Maybe not, but what you have to remember is these children are coming from England, like yours did and mine did and they are leaving friends and family behind. It's important to try and give them stability in all ways, home and friends etc. My kids are climbing walls right now.

chrizzy100
22-06-2005, 22:57
Maybe not, but what you have to remember is these children are coming from England, like yours did and mine did and they are leaving friends and family behind. It's important to try and give them stability in all ways, home and friends etc. My kids are climbing walls right now.
[/quote]

I agree....but I also don't want people to think that kids will not be happy if they live in a place with no other kids......USA mums are used to driving their kids around.....and having sleep overs......my son fell into that idea very quick.......and we always had a houseful of kids....and he was always staying over at friends houses....in the UK he had about 8 friends in the street that he played with everyday....so kids can get used to a different way of living very quickly.....

In FL we have a lot of local kids living near us.....a lot more than I have here.....so its best to drive around an area after school..some of the STR areas are like ghost towns part of the year.....but others have lots of locals.....I would.. now the prices are higher not go to a STR area to look for a home......you can get more space and house for your money well away from the Disney area.......

Rocco
22-06-2005, 23:15
I don't want people to get the impression of unhappiness. But the fact of the matter is that children do get very unhappy easily when they are away from everyone and everything that they know. So you need to put them in a place where there are kids of their age, who will be there month after month, year after year like they will be. There's nothing worse than seeing your kid being lonely and then making a friend only to watch their tears when their new 'best friend' leaves after 2 or 3 weeks. Disney area houses are for short term rentals. They are intended really just for holidaymakers and seem to be a great investment for those who buy them. I cannot argue on that. But it's not a suitable place in which to live a normal family life..my opinion, thats all

Robert5988
22-06-2005, 23:30
Lot of common sense in this thread.

Even if I were contemplating a move there(I am not), the constant junk on the TV would drive me mad - even the adverts are rubbish!!!

chrizzy100
22-06-2005, 23:49
I don't want people to get the impression of unhappiness. But the fact of the matter is that children do get very unhappy easily when they are away from everyone and everything that they know. So you need to put them in a place where there are kids of their age, who will be there month after month, year after year like they will be. There's nothing worse than seeing your kid being lonely and then making a friend only to watch their tears when their new 'best friend' leaves after 2 or 3 weeks. Disney area houses are for short term rentals. They are intended really just for holidaymakers and seem to be a great investment for those who buy them. I cannot argue on that. But it's not a suitable place in which to live a normal family life..my opinion, thats all
[/quote]

I don't agree that all STR areas are just for holiday makers..a lot are....but we have lots of local kids....it really is down to doing your homework and buying in the right area.....be it STR or not....you could buy in a non STR area and have all old people about....its really down to knowing the neighbourhood....and visiting all different times of the day.......the one reason I would not rec my area is because of the schools...for bring up kids its great because everyone is so friendly and all the kids play together nice.....and are of all ages......

chrizzy100
22-06-2005, 23:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Lot of common sense in this thread.

Even if I were contemplating a move there(I am not), the constant junk on the TV would drive me mad - even the adverts are rubbish!!!
[/quote]

I'm not a fan of the TV in the USA.....but its way down on my list of reasons not to move anywhere.....we have a lot of family film evenings.....much better than everyone going off into different rooms to watch the TV......

esprit
23-06-2005, 03:56
Some STR areas have some resident kids and some dont have any at all. Tuscan has some as you know Chrizzy. I could name you others where there are few or none. You will not get a good choice of resident kids so there will be someone your kids age who he will get on with on an STR subdivision. We picked to live in American township and my sons friends all live locally. Even though he went to school in Celebration, I dont think he, as a British child quite old for breaking into friendship circles, would have made friends as he did had we have lived on a subdivision. I am with you on this one, Rocco.

chrizzy100
23-06-2005, 04:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Some STR areas have some resident kids and some dont have any at all. Tuscan has some as you know Chrizzy. I could name you others where there are few or none. You will not get a good choice of resident kids so there will be someone your kids age who he will get on with on an STR subdivision. We picked to live in American township and my sons friends all live locally. Even though he went to school in Celebration, I dont think he, as a British child quite old for breaking into friendship circles, would have made friends as he did had we have lived on a subdivision. I am with you on this one, Rocco.
[/quote]

I just think that the point being missed is...in the USA....your childs best friends could live far away anyway....so its not odd for parents to drive kids to friends homes....its not just in FL STR areas that this happens..but all over the USA.....it just the way things are..and most of the Brit kids around here fit in with it nicely...not that we have many...its not a big worry having no kids in the neighbourhood.....we had none till a few years ago....but my son went home with his friends or they came here....the good point being I always knew where he was......

Rocco
23-06-2005, 06:42
You're right it's not unusual for kids to drive far to see certain friends. I see it with my stepchildren-to-be. However, it's also not unusual to see kids hanging around the streets where they live or certain places of fun closeby either. The chances of that happening in short term rental areas are virtually nil. Not with a kid who actually lives on there. Maybe kids might make friends as holidaymakers with other holidaymakers sure. But in all honesty where is there for kids to really go to on 192/27? There's no cinemas, malls or anywhere for kids to group up the way my stepchildren-to-be do.

I just hope our house closes soon that's all. And then maybe we can get some normality back.

Whilst I agree with what Chrizzy says, I do feel that kids who move here need a lot of time to integrate fully into life and the system so to speak and if there are no other kids here, it's a nightmare for them. I think Esprit knows where I'm coming from. But like I say it's all about perception and this is just mine.

PS...We get married tomorrow. [msnsmile2]

esprit
23-06-2005, 07:42
Hey Congratulations!!!!!!

No rights or wrongs, just different experiences. My experience was of a son who settled down with kids from the neighboring streets around where we live as best friends. He drives now. But his friends are still those he made at the beginning and local. If he had lived on a subdivision and he had commuted to school, he may not have made those friends, he may have made different friends or none at all. I just think it would have been harder. And living in a township, they have a focal point of somewhere to go. You are right, there is nowhere on 27 for kids to meet up and go to. Funnily enough, the local kids dont go to the attractions, even those whose parents buy them annual passes rarely go, they are just bored by them and it is seen as touristy and uncool. Yes really.

PS It isnt just kids who have problems on subdivisions, I know at least two stay at home Brit wives bored sick and fed up of having no neighbours. Remember many visas do not give the wife the right to work or not for a certain time anyway.

Rocco
23-06-2005, 16:26
I agree with the latter part of your statement. I find I'm incredibly lonely for woman company. I really don't hardly know anyone at all. I'm hoping that will change when we move. But it would never change if I stayed here. Because everyone is a tourist and they go out all the time...which is right if you are on holiday but tough on a resident who wants to know who their neighbours are and make a friend.

esprit
24-06-2005, 04:19
Presume thats Patsy talking. Where are you and what are you doing out here, Patsy??

chrizzy100
24-06-2005, 04:34
I don't have a problem with the peace of not having people ringing my door bell all day.....I had a very close group of friends in the UK.....but it got a bit much always having them around...I have nice neighbours both in FL and here...we chat when I go for a walk....good enough for me... my best friend who I tell everything too is in OZ.....so we chat on the phone for hours over coffee....which his girlfriend hates.....hehehehehe.....my house is full at the weekends.......and I've very close to my daughter and her best friend..we do a lot together.......its like having an extra daughter.....and now I'm close to my sons girlfriend.....she comes here with baby....I don't have so many stray kids living in my house nowadays.....we always had homeless kids sleeping on a floor somewhere in the house...!..I like going to FL to chat to Julie and her husband.....they are great company....the best people you could hope to meet......I love meeting up with friends in FL from the UK.....only seeing each other a few times a year gives us lots to talk about.....

My son is always busy..a real American....school... work.. hobbies.. friends..baby..he is never still.......

chrizzy100
24-06-2005, 04:43
You're right it's not unusual for kids to drive far to see certain friends. I see it with my stepchildren-to-be. However, it's also not unusual to see kids hanging around the streets where they live or certain places of fun closeby either. The chances of that happening in short term rental areas are virtually nil. Not with a kid who actually lives on there. Maybe kids might make friends as holidaymakers with other holidaymakers sure. But in all honesty where is there for kids to really go to on 192/27? There's no cinemas, malls or anywhere for kids to group up the way my stepchildren-to-be do.

I just hope our house closes soon that's all. And then maybe we can get some normality back.

Whilst I agree with what Chrizzy says, I do feel that kids who move here need a lot of time to integrate fully into life and the system so to speak and if there are no other kids here, it's a nightmare for them. I think Esprit knows where I'm coming from. But like I say it's all about perception and this is just mine.

PS...We get married tomorrow. [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I live in small town American apart from the park..which is great and just up the road.....basketball..baseball.....soccer....BBQ... ...playground...always full of young and not so young mums.....and tennis......

We have nothing for teenagers.......not that we have many anyway.....we don't have a local high school even..the police do beach parties sometimes...thats cool.....we have kids next door now...but very young.......and one family in the next block.....my sons nearest friend not in college lives a few miles away....my daughter calls it banjo country....and is always humming the song from deliverance........[msneek]

Congrats on the wedding.....[msnsmile2]

Rocco
26-06-2005, 09:02
Presume thats Patsy talking. Where are you and what are you doing out here, Patsy??
[/quote]

Staying on 27 in a nice rental house. We have to move again next week into another short term condo until our house closes. The bank don't have a cleared title yet, it's been 6 weeks unfortunately so even though it is under offer so to speak, we cannot even get a signed contract until the cleared title is back which is a pain.

Now I have to adjust status with regard to the marriage. Luckily I sold my house in the UK and had a little money to tide me over until I can, but it's been a very slow process. Anyway we're married now so hopefully we can just enjoy that for a while. Like I said, thank goodness my relationship with my new husband is so strong because it's certainly not Florida that keeps me here.

Rocco
11-07-2005, 21:21
Just to update and a warning to those checking out areas for schools. We were due to close in just a few days and found out the school in the area was a grade D! I didn't even know there was a grade D!!!

Anyway we pulled out of the purchase and have had to rent a house in the meantime in Lake Mary where the schools are grade A simply because we ran out of time to do the whole house buying process again before the new school semester. We checked all around Kissimmee, Poinciana and surrounding areas and the schools were diabolical except for Celebration but that didnt even match up to Lake Mary and Winter Springs. So to all parents who are thinking to move close to the Disney area and put their kids in schools anywhere near here....think twice. We just lost nearly three months waiting for this sale!

chrizzy100
11-07-2005, 22:22
Just to update and a warning to those checking out areas for schools. We were due to close in just a few days and found out the school in the area was a grade D! I didn't even know there was a grade D!!!

Anyway we pulled out of the purchase and have had to rent a house in the meantime in Lake Mary where the schools are grade A simply because we ran out of time to do the whole house buying process again before the new school semester. We checked all around Kissimmee, Poinciana and surrounding areas and the schools were diabolical except for Celebration but that didnt even match up to Lake Mary and Winter Springs. So to all parents who are thinking to move close to the Disney area and put their kids in schools anywhere near here....think twice. We just lost nearly three months waiting for this sale!
[/quote]

Schools were the first thing we looked at......my son is in a Tech school in the US....there are a few schools the same in Olando.....so he would of got a transfer being under 15 at the time.......
So schools became no object.......

Ana
11-07-2005, 23:13
What is a Tech school Chrizzy?

chrizzy100
12-07-2005, 00:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ana
What is a Tech school Chrizzy?
[/quote]

Kids do two weeks of normal school work......and two of shop....IT.....cooking.....childcare......car repair etc.....

In mosts States you need to take exams to get into one.....and they have a long waiting list.......the kids have to be able to learnt everything that kids do in High School in half the time.......when they leave......they can got straight into work in a lot of cases within their own State......a lot of the time they get offered free college places by car companies etc.....its a way to get round paying for college....

MarkJan
15-07-2005, 00:16
Must admit, we'd like to move to Florida, not necessarily the "tourist area". This post makes interesting reading

Rocco
17-07-2005, 04:09
Just an update. We moved to Lake Mary earlier this week and are now settling in. The area is gorgeous and I hope never to see Kissimmee again! Don't get me wrong it's great for a holiday and me and my kids used to do the Disney thing at least 2-3 times a year once upon a time but to live...no way Jose. Anyway, the first thing I noticed while food shopping is that my bill went considerably down. Prices are much much more realistic outside that area. Plus everything is on your doorstep, so many more shops to choose from. Also for anyone who thinks to travel down this way, go to Cici's Pizza. All you can eat for only $3.99 lunch AND dinner. [clap] Lovely choices of pizza, salad, breads, pasta, sauces and self service drinks. Best value I've seen in a long time. Bread sticks and alfredo sauce to definitely challenge Olive Garden. We've ate there a couple of times since coming here. Try it.[beer]

esprit
17-07-2005, 08:20
Theres a lot of truth in what you say. The gas prices are higher too around here. If I moved out of the tourist area, I would miss the Brit food sections in the local supermarkets however. But living in a place where everyone else is on holiday and you arnt isnt the best, I live in the one place in this area that I would live. Lake Mary is really nice from what I have seen.

chrizzy100
17-07-2005, 08:26
I've always had few problems living in a tourist area.....but then again..I've lived in one both in England and the USA so maybe you just get used to it over time......traffic is my biggest moan.....

I love watching the people on holiday.....most of our local rental homes are full right now....beach towels everywhere...kids playing in the street......its like the whole place has come alive after a long sleep.......

Rocco
17-07-2005, 10:48
Yeah but you live in Celebration Julie. Celebration is just one of those completely one off places where anyone would live given half the chance. I'd jump at it. However, anywhere else off 192...you can keep it. We spent an hour on I4 on Friday by the junction of 27 only to move one mile or so. We then had to go back on ourselves and take the 417 from Celebration back to Lake Mary. All in all that trip took us hours. And I4 is like that on a daily occurence up that end. I for one won't miss there or the unsightly road works and delays which have been on 192 as long as I can remember.

chrizzy100
17-07-2005, 17:39
Yeah but you live in Celebration Julie. Celebration is just one of those completely one off places where anyone would live given half the chance. I'd jump at it. However, anywhere else off 192...you can keep it. We spent an hour on I4 on Friday by the junction of 27 only to move one mile or so. We then had to go back on ourselves and take the 417 from Celebration back to Lake Mary. All in all that trip took us hours. And I4 is like that on a daily occurence up that end. I for one won't miss there or the unsightly road works and delays which have been on 192 as long as I can remember.
[/quote]

Thats what I like about the Orlando area.....less traffic......moving a mile in an hour would be heaven......LOL
Joking apart the traffic is the biggest thing in an holiday area...we just can't leave the Cape in summmer....you're talking hours to do a mile if you're lucky...it took us 7 hours to get back on Cape one day.....after taking 3 to get off.......I was told the day after July 4th was grid lock on the highway from Hyannis to the bridges....some of the people in the towns near the bridge can't leave their homes in summer.....its grid lock everyday all summer long.....I know 192 and 27 are no way near as bad as here....and that you soon learn the back ways to town......and when to go where...I can now do most of the summer on Cape hitting very little traffic....I know a lot of new people leave the Cape because of our summers....its one of the reasons top on our list.....but now I'm a local and know the ropes....its a lot easier....a lot of thought should go into time traveling to work and home again....but everyday living you just get used to the odd problem.....I've become a lot happier here on Cape in the last year....and we have had 2 very busy longer seasons......

Rocco
17-07-2005, 22:17
That's just part of it and I agree with your comments. But me and the husband took the kids to Interntional Drive a couple of weeks ago to see the Titanic Exhibition and we were discussing the difference between I Drive and 192, we can see the attraction for being on I Drive. It's jazzy and fun looking. It's also attractive. But 192 is downright ugly. Problem is if you don't venture out much (like I never used to admittedly) you don't see that.

chrizzy100
18-07-2005, 00:16
That's just part of it and I agree with your comments. But me and the husband took the kids to Interntional Drive a couple of weeks ago to see the Titanic Exhibition and we were discussing the difference between I Drive and 192, we can see the attraction for being on I Drive. It's jazzy and fun looking. It's also attractive. But 192 is downright ugly. Problem is if you don't venture out much (like I never used to admittedly) you don't see that.
[/quote]

The first time I went to 192 was just after buying our house a few years ago......I'd never been there before.......it could do with a good clear up....and a more updated look......we go to I Drive for a late evening icecream......if we are in FL high summer we go out more in the warm evenings.......on the Cape......it always cools in the evenings because of the sea......the warm evenings are the best part of FL......and the thing I miss most when I get home....

Badger
21-07-2005, 22:07
I have had a good time reading this thread, so full of sound and experienced advice. My wife and I have been to Fla for so many times we have lost count.
Since 1990 it has been our dream to retire there but it is clear that we will never be considered for a visa. We have been there for funerals, weddings, graduations and lots of other personal events with our friends so far from the 192. We have made many good friends in Fla and have both been guests and been priveleged to host them here in the UK. It would be fair to say that all of our close friends are American.
We have sampled all aspects of life over there, from sadness and the loss of friends to the joy of seeing their children grow up and getting married. We are always invited and thankfully we can always go.
What really galls me is that we are both retired from law enforcement, impeccable records, we have money and a good pension but we are not allowed into the USA to live.
Reading the comments about life in general around the Disney area I would concede that you are right, I think that it's important to get out and into the community before making any decisions. We have done this, been all over the USA but we love rural Fla and what it has to offer. Do any of you good USA forum users have any influence over the immigration authorities? [msnsmile2]

esprit
22-07-2005, 06:15
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! They tried to bring a retirement visa in a few years back and it failed abysmally to get through Senate.

Rocco
22-07-2005, 07:46
Amazing isn't it, the Hispanics get away with blue murder yet the British here don't get a break do they? I really feel for the people who want to live here but can't. I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't allow people of retirement age with sufficient funds in place. It makes me laugh sometimes how this works, like the other day I took my daughter to McDonalds and the happy meal gift instructions was written in Spanish. Goes to show how much influence they have here. Like I said before it's a shame there isn't someone lobby for our rights as much because I've always said if the British pulled their investment and holiday money out of Florida they'd notice it alright.

flyrr100
24-07-2005, 17:46
Theres a lot of truth in what you say. The gas prices are higher too around here. If I moved out of the tourist area, I would miss the Brit food sections in the local supermarkets however. But living in a place where everyone else is on holiday and you arnt isnt the best, I live in the one place in this area that I would live. Lake Mary is really nice from what I have seen.
[/quote]

We live in Winter Springs and still have Brit stuff at Publix and Albertsons.
Winter Springs is in a great location. I'm five minutes from 417. Five minutes from 436. And around ten minutes from I-4.
Great schools, and low crime.

Badger
26-07-2005, 01:30
Hey Rocco,

Thanks for your response, the rules certainly make no sense to me. It seems that the USA has a strange immigration policy. I have tried to reply to your post on several occasions but end up deleting my posts because it may be inflammatory. You can't even say what you think these days!