PDA

View Full Version : biometric passport update - USA to extend deadline

wilfy
11-06-2005, 00:31
Article in todays Daily Telegraph.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
America is offering to compromise over its demand for hi-tech passports from British and other European visitors, which the travel industry says would bring chaos to transatlantic travel.

But while the deal, proposed by congressman James Sensenbrenner, would exempt British and most European tourists and business people from the requirement, it would impose harsh restrictions on French and Italian visitors.

The mooted compromise follows a European Union request that Congress once again delay the implementation of legislation ordering Britain and 26 other close American allies to introduce so-called biometric passports - with a chip encoded with the holder's digital photograph and fingerprints - by October.

About 15 million tourists, including four million Britons, use the current scheme whereby they can enter the US without a visa for up to 90 days.

Now the congressman has suggested that America could reinterpret existing rules to allow continued visa-free access for most Europeans.

Congress would state that those passports with digitally scanned photographs are "biometric enough".

But there are still some EU passports, notably some issued by France and Italy, which continue to bear non-digital laminated photographs, which are seen as less secure. Visitors from these two countries would need visas.[/quote]

wrpac00
13-06-2005, 00:08
Well there's a suprise, there was no way it was going to be implemented in the timescales the US wanted.

wilfy
15-06-2005, 18:12
Another update:- Looks good for another delay in the introduction :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4095244.stm

TonyBlenk
16-06-2005, 20:16
VISA-FREE TRAVEL TO THE US FOR BRITISH VISITORS EXTENDED (16 June 05)

The US Department of Homeland Security announced, on 15 June, a one-year extension of its Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) to 26 October 2006. From that date all new passports must contain a digital photo image to enable the holder to travel to the USA visa free.

This means that:

British citizens with machine-readable passports containing a digital photo image will not require a visa to visit the USA because they meet the criteria of the 26 October 2005 VWP deadline.

British citizens with machine-readable passports but without a digital photo will still be able to visit the USA visa free until the 26 October 2006 as their passport was issued before the 26 October 2005 deadline.

British citizens without a machine-readable passport must obtain a machine-readable passport or apply for a US visa before visiting the USA.

VWP countries, including the UK, are required to have a biometric passport issuing system in place by 26 October 2006 in order to continue as members of the Programme and benefit from visa free travel to the US after that date.

Further information about passport and visa requirements for the US is available on the US Embassy website: www.usembassy.org.uk

wrpac00
17-06-2005, 01:38
But when are the UK going to implement digital photo images?

Lady pumpkin
29-07-2005, 14:12
My son is reaching 16 soon so will come off my passport. Does this mean he needs to get his first passport issued before October 2005? If the passport is issued after October 2005 but before October 2006 will he need a visa? We are going Feb 2006.
I'm confused [msncry] any advice would be gratefully recieved
Thanks

blott
29-07-2005, 16:31
Paul, I think you'll find that new passports do already have digital photos?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lady pumpkin
My son is reaching 16 soon so will come off my passport. Does this mean he needs to get his first passport issued before October 2005? If the passport is issued after October 2005 but before October 2006 will he need a visa? We are going Feb 2006.
I'm confused [msncry] any advice would be gratefully recieved
Thanks[/quote]Your son needs his own passport in order to travel to Florida in any case as do all children, even babies. So if you have any other children on your passport, you need to get them their own passports.

As long as you get your coming up to 16 year old his own passport before your February 2006 visit then he doesn't need a visa.

Lady pumpkin
31-07-2005, 22:57
Thanks blott