PDA

View Full Version : ideas please?

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 18:21
right we have asked our daughters boyfriend if he would like to come to florida this year with us!
now she tells us (he was 18, 2 weeks ago) he has some sort of police record, surely it cant be that bad as he is only just 18, he doesnt have a passport yet either, how do we go about this for him, would it be worth the aggro?
think he was a bit naughty with cars? but will find out more later
so if he has a 'juvenile record' can he come with us?????

Lynnes
10-06-2005, 18:29
might be worth checking with the embassy Liesa

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 18:39
thankyou Lynne, will sit him down and have serious chat with him tonight!

CarolAnn
10-06-2005, 18:54
Yes certainly think you need all the details Liesa. Apart from anything else is it possible that as he is under 21, in the US you are responsible for the info he provides etc? An embassay call may weel be a good idea too? What may be considered small, and in the past here, may not in the states?

blott
10-06-2005, 18:56
The words on the visa waiver form are: 'have you EVER been arrested...'

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_14753.asp

so sounds like a good chat might be needed Leisa!

He'd obviously need a passport in order to apply for a B2 visa (if that's necessary) or to travel (if he doesn't need a visa). He has to apply for this himself but you can get the forms from the Post Office.

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 20:21
just been having a quick word with him and he was arrested for minor bad boy stuff, but when they reach 18 its wiped i think and then he would be charged as an adult if he comitted a crime,
the words on the visa waver form say have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offence or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance, o basically if you were "confined" for at least 5 years.

this is to hard for me, i think if he wants to come his mum can phone the Embassy!!!!

steph_goodrum
10-06-2005, 20:48
Liesa
The only thing is the US justice system doens't work quite the same as ours and in the same way an offence is never considered "spent" as in the UK it may be that juvenile offences are still recognised in the same way as adult so he will still have been arrested and therefore need to get visa.

I've got a much simpler solution - tell your daughter to get a new boyfriend :D:D:D

blott
10-06-2005, 22:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
just been having a quick word with him and he was arrested for minor bad boy stuff, but when they reach 18 its wiped i think and then he would be charged as an adult if he comitted a crime,
the words on the visa waver form say have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offence or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance, o basically if you were "confined" for at least 5 years.

this is to hard for me, i think if he wants to come his mum can phone the Embassy!!!![/quote]I think you'll find there's that little word 'or' between all of those which doesn't make it read that you have to have spent 5 years 'inside' - just had one 'or' more!

Moral turpitude is '1 : an act or behavior that gravely violates the sentiment or accepted standard of the community
2 : a quality of dishonesty or other immorality that is determined by a court to be present in the commission of a criminal offense.

As Steph has said, the US never considers any arrests or convictions as 'spent' - I know they usually are in the UK after a suitable period of time though.

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 22:28
he can sort it, its a shame hes such a nice lad, very quiet and polite, a really nice lad, he works as well and has just moved into a new flat with his brother, hes trying to grow up and act responsible!! i will let him phone the Embassy, so thankyou everyone for your advice!!!!! so helpful as ever!!!![grouphug][grouphug]

E. Cosgrove
10-06-2005, 22:46
I'm sure he is a nice lad Leisa, sometimes a shock and they wake up to what they have done, but as the others say the US does not recognize the rehabilitation of offenders act which considers you conviction to be spent after 5 years except in the case of some real nasties!!!
If he has been arrestd it is probably safest that he gets a visa.

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 22:56
yes probably, but will let them sort it![msnwink]

Chloe
12-06-2005, 00:22
With regards to his offence, if he views it as minor and is tempted to ignore it and hope it will go away, I would discourage him from this line of thinking. Initially it may seem to be the easier option, but can you imagine, a)the anxiety you will all endure on the days leading up to your holiday, and on the flight over, and
b) the awfulness of possibly being found out and sent right back on the next plane. He must do it properly. Hope he gets over there and has a fantastic time. Chloe

LiesaAnna
12-06-2005, 11:49
yes we are all trying to help with this one, but not sure hes as enthustastic hes very shy and quiet, but he is a nice lad hes in my home every evening (so i know nonsense isnt going on;) not my choosing but theres;))
hes also very embarressed about his "naughty doings" think since hes had a girlfrind (been together for 5 months if not more)
i know that if we didnt offer him to come my daughter may get grizzley about coming which at 16 isnt an option!
so the ball is in their court right now, we'll see if he really wants to come or not by the info he and maybe his mum get on this one, (mind you he and his elder brother have just moved into their own flat so need to buy many things for it, )

Florida3883
12-06-2005, 18:29
Hi Liesa, well it's one thing sorting your own holiday out and then trying to sort daughters boyfriend out. lets see how grown up he is and get him to do the sorting out. I'm sure it will come right for all concerned

Robert5988
12-06-2005, 20:17
If he does phone its 1.50 pounds a minute and you can bet they will tell him he needs to attend for an interview.

chrizzy100
12-06-2005, 20:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Chloe
With regards to his offence, if he views it as minor and is tempted to ignore it and hope it will go away, I would discourage him from this line of thinking. Initially it may seem to be the easier option, but can you imagine, a)the anxiety you will all endure on the days leading up to your holiday, and on the flight over, and
b) the awfulness of possibly being found out and sent right back on the next plane. He must do it properly. Hope he gets over there and has a fantastic time. Chloe
[/quote]

A friend of mine at the INS said that checks go on even after your pass the point of entry.....so you could have INS men call at your hotel or villa to take you back to the airport.....since he told me that....I did read of it happening on a different forum......its just not worth it....

LiesaAnna
13-06-2005, 00:53
dont think hes coming!!!![msnwink] oh well at least i asked!
thankyou everyone for all you help!!![msnwink]

blott
13-06-2005, 03:22
Oh dear, sorry to hear that Leisa! But is your daughter now in a strop? [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
13-06-2005, 03:59
no, he has told her due to the new flat he doesnt think he could afford it this year, he literally moved in on friday, and it needs some biggie things like a new kitchen, he shares with his brother so they have to put in half each, i dont think hes truely worried therefore Terri isnt to bothered.................. YET!!!!

oh well she will be out spending all her newly earned money from her first ever job she will be starting on the 21st of june!!!!

so no Blott no strops yet................ watch this space![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
22-03-2007, 18:54
has anything changed?
he never did get the passport/visa, now they are considering coming with us in spetember this year and we need to work fast, will he have to go to London for an appointment to get a visa?
he has 1 conviction,

we were right, he is a nice lad and has been as good as gold since hes been with my Terri, am so happy that Terri's now coming with us!!!!

shenon
22-03-2007, 19:02
Hi Liesa i hope you get it sorted out:)

CCollins
22-03-2007, 19:10
Liesa,

He will have to got to the Embassy for a visa appointment - he can call and make the appointment, then the visa can take upto 14weeks to come through.

He had better get moving

LiesaAnna
22-03-2007, 20:46
thanks all xx
will get their skates on!! am sooooooo happy!
did i mention its only 5 months and 28 days?

steph_goodrum
22-03-2007, 23:01
Liesa
If he hasn't got a passport he will need to have that before he gets to the Embassy as they will need it a) for identity and b) to put the visa in if granted. The interviews are coming in May for first time applicants for passports so I would guess the Passport office is going to be very busy between now and then as people try and beat the deadline

LiesaAnna
23-03-2007, 18:41
will be seeing them tomorrow so will sort it all out online, thanks for your help Steph xx

steph_goodrum
23-03-2007, 18:44
No problem Liesa hope he gets it done relatively quickly.

ccarcher
28-03-2007, 16:01
Take a look at my own situation on whether a visa required or not just updated and posted here

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37310.asp

and dont worry its really not as bad as you may think and the whole process is pretty straight forward,

LiesaAnna
28-03-2007, 16:28
thanks Colin, have read up on your info, some good advice there, now once again we find he doesnt think they can afford it this year as the pair of them (my daughter and John) want to have driving lessons when theyre back from their holiday this week, so cannot afford to do both, we now wont have the pressure of getting everything done so quickly,
how long does a visa work for? we plan to go back to florida in 2009 and if he decides hes coming then, would we be able to get a visa from say later this year and it still be ok for 09?

again thanks all for you help xx

Michelle
29-03-2007, 00:19
how long does a visa work for? we plan to go back to florida in 2009 and if he decides hes coming then, would we be able to get a visa from say later this year and it still be ok for 09?

Visitors visa lasts 10 years. But have heard that some who have had to apply due to previouse convictions may last a little less than 10 years.

steph_goodrum
29-03-2007, 03:21
Some are only issued initially for one visit or one year from guests who have responded in the not too distant past. If he applied for one nd when he went for interview told them he didnt intend travelling till 2009 then he may be issued with a longer one, I'm only guessing they may say come back later, as with most things it seems to be a bit random what they choose.

LiesaAnna
29-03-2007, 03:46
i ask as i didnt know, but a friend of a friend, said it lasts for 1 year, this is a bit harsh i think after all people go through wouldve thought it would be a little longer?

E. Cosgrove
29-03-2007, 10:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i ask as i didnt know, but a friend of a friend, said it lasts for 1 year, this is a bit harsh i think after all people go through wouldve thought it would be a little longer?
[/quote]
I think you might find that it lasts for one year from the date of travel.
I do remember reading on this forum about a guest who turned up with a visa he had used recently only to be refused admission to the US and was told it was a single trip visa so it's best to check it out.

LiesaAnna
29-03-2007, 11:20
thanks Liz:)

CCollins
29-03-2007, 14:03
Liesa you have mail!

LiesaAnna
29-03-2007, 15:17
thanks Caroline xx
thanks all for your help, we're going to plan it a lot better from 2008 now, they both want to learn to drive over the next 12 months or so, fingers crossed[beer]

ccarcher
29-03-2007, 20:09
Your welcome to the information Liesa hope it helped / put your mind at rest a little, and good luck with when you go ahead

In the majority of cases the visa will last for a full 10 years

there are exceptions when they issue them for shorter periods (1, 2, 5) but this is normally for more serious offenders and those with more convictions / arrests / health issues

And the 14weeks to obtain a visa from appointment is the worst case scenario again if they have to follow up because the application is inconclusive, go get more information etc again for the worst cases

I have been told that all being well following my own appointment I should recevie my passport / visa back within 10days

and in most cases its very straight forward to obtain the visa, just a little bit daunting and takes a little bit of time, effort and organisation

The most difficult cases to obtain visas involve drugs arrests and convictions

I would suggest if he is planning to travel at sometime in the future, and without you interferring too much,

get him to apply for his subject access record from the police anyway £10

That will at least show what your up against and is also valid for a full 6 months for the visa application process and will be needed

It wont make any difference and at least it is to hand and can be corrected if it is wrong (which I have heard of on a number of occassions)