PDA

View Full Version : Living In USA

sarahjane
02-04-2003, 03:13
Saw a couple of interesting threads about living and working in Florida on this site the other day. For those that have made the permanent move can anyone tell me what they have found to be the biggest difference when comparing the life they have now in the US with what they had in the Uk. I appreciate that everyones circumstances and views will be different but I would be most interestead in their insights.

orlandobabe
03-04-2003, 15:05
This sounds like a question for Martin Sarah Jane and one I'm sure we would all love to hear the answer to.

I hope when he's not busy (lol) he can give you an answer.

blott
03-04-2003, 15:17
Martin already did reply OB on another thread http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3483

pbensur
03-04-2003, 22:05
I have read those threads and as an American who lives in the North, I have to say this. Life in Florida is an inaccurate picture of life in the USA. I visit Orlando nearly every year - we love the attractions and we love the weather, but we would NEVER live there!! What has been said regarding education and social life is all true . . . . for Florida!! Not the case up North - not even close!!

fiona
03-04-2003, 22:28
I've forgotten where you live Patty, but this is undoubtedly true. I have a friend from Washington whose husband is moved around all over the place, and they are currently in Atlanta. Huge culture shock - particularly for her boys who were born in Hong Kong and UK. They asked for a posting back to the US so their sons could become "American" again, as they were growing up little English boys!

Top of our list is to visit other parts of USA - New England, Seattle, Washington, New York, Maryland, California, etc. etc. Loads more on my wish list to even mention!

pbensur
04-04-2003, 00:26
We live in Erie, Pennsylvania, Fiona. The winters are rough, but beautiful change of seasons. The summers are fantastic with miles of beach on Lake Erie.

fiona
04-04-2003, 01:07
Another one on the list then Patty! The name sounds just gorgeous, I shall do some investigating on the net!!

dbrook
04-04-2003, 01:16
Hi Patty,

I know what you mean. We lived in Doylestown Pennsylvania for just over a year (my husband was there for 6 months before I joined him). The people were just fantastic and so generous and hospitable. Bit of a culture shock at first - took me a long time to get used to the fact that people do not walk anywhere. Never forget walking around the village and a little boy aged approx. 6 coming out of a shop turned round to his mother and said "why are those people walking?". My eldest child was born in the USA and says she is going back to live there (even though she was only 6 months when we returned to the UK!).

Geoff's memories of Lake Erie are those of being bitten to death by mosquitos at dusk!!! But he said it was beautiful there. And what lovely memories we cherish.

pbensur
04-04-2003, 02:59
Hi Diane,
Wonderful to hear from someone who is familiar with Pennsylvania!! Hopefully, you got the chance to experience the incredible Fall foliage! You're right about nobody walking, though!! One of my best friends is formerly from the UK. She's always amused when we go anywhere and I try to get the closest parking spot. I celebrate when I get the one by the door! She says " You are such an American!!" What can I say - I am!!

fiona
04-04-2003, 04:29
You can tell us Brits then, in the Walmart car park parked right at the back because it's quicker than driving round and round trying to find somewhere nearer!!

I also remember getting highly indignant at Eurodisney (or whatever it's called now) at how rude the French were (nothing new there then[:p]!) as they barged in completely disregarding the queues of children waiting to see Mickey etc. I said on the bus to my husband how different it was to Florida and how polite the Americans are. And the chap in front of me turns round - and he's American, says how nice it is to hear someone speaking kindly of the Yanks, and then we both agree how rude the continentals are!!

To get back to my original point (phew you all go) it's supposed to be quicker to park at the first parking space you see - doesn't work when it's pouring with rain though does it!

MsRuthieB
05-04-2003, 06:32
I live in Cleveland, OH. I'm about a 5 min car ride to Lake Erie - Edgewater Beach. I jog/run there on their par fitness trail 3x's a week. Beautiful scenery with downtown Cleveland on one side and the beach on the other. I used to own a boat several years ago and be forewarned, Lake Erie can get pretty rough at a moments notice. Out of the 5 Great Lakes, it is the shallowest. And also the dirtiest, thus I wouldn't swim in it. Don't get me wrong..people do swim in it and you can. It's just that I wouldn't. The 5 Great Lakes make up the largest body of fresh water in the world. Most of the worlds fresh water fish come from the Great Lakes. We have huge Walleye, Bass, Trout, Perch, etc. Don't forget to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame while you are here. Oh, and go to the islands out in Lake Erie too. There's Kelly's Island, South Bass Island, Middle Bass Island, to name a few. They are known for their century old wineries as the island grow scrumptious grapes. The islands are close to Sandusky. Cedar Point Amusement Park is in Sandusky. It holds numerous world records for roller coasters..I believe this year they added the 16th. It looks awesome. Check it out at their website www.cedarpoint.com Back to Cleveland before I forget. You simply must check out the Museum of Art. Wonderful collections from the world are gathered there. I could go on and on about things to do here in the Great Lakes. The winters are bitter and last about 5 months out of the year. But the rest of the year and the changes in season really make up for it.

pbensur
05-04-2003, 21:01
Hi Ruthie, I guess we're neighbors! It takes about an hour and a half to drive to Cleveland from here in Erie! We come often - we love the Great Lakes Science Center (we're members), the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and The Flats!! We were last there at New Years and went to see the Zoolights! Spectacular!

Do you ever come to Erie and visit the peninsula? The beaches are beautiful and swimming is no problem here!

MsRuthieB
05-04-2003, 22:05
No, I've never been to PA...I'm going to make it an autumn getaway. I hear that PA is beautiful when the leaves start changing color.

The Science Center is awesome..so is the Zoo and the Flats. There's so much I forgot to mention them.