PDA

View Full Version : H27 down to Miami

sully62
04-06-2005, 22:07
Hi,
spending a few days in Islamorda in the keys fishing before working on our villa, we were going to drive down the 27 to Miami whats this route like or is there a better route, don't know after all our years of going to Florida, have never been that far south
thanks

Snapper
04-06-2005, 22:32
I drove it last November Tony when I flew in and out of Miami. To be honest it feels like a long drive due to all the stopping and starting at lights and junctions. It's not all that eventful and there isn't really heaps of nice scenery that would make it all worthwhile. I left shortly after lunchtime and it was about 8pm when I got to Key Largo.

A better route is the one straight down the Turnpike. Take 192 east to the Turnpike then take the Turnpike all the way down to Miami. You'll do the trip in about half the time, meaning you can spend those last few hours down in the Keys with a nice cocktail watching the sunset rather than trying to watch the sunset from the car whilst wishing you'd taken the Turnpike so that you would now be in a bar with a nice cocktail.

DarrenShort
04-06-2005, 22:33
Hi,

We did this route just a few weeks ago, its a very nice road with dual carriageway for the majority of it. Very quiet with the traffic and no roadworks :-)

Lynnes
04-06-2005, 22:54
we also did it in May and the road was very quiet. It's not wonderful scenery but there is nothing wrong with it, better than the turnpike which is a bit boring - in my opinion.

steph_goodrum
04-06-2005, 23:28
The only problem we found with the 27 to Miami was the lack of gas stations, twice we were almost running on fumes when we found a station, even though we'd turned off the a/c to conserve petrol.

Mind you having said that when we went on the Turnpike there was an accident at we got diverted through the country and ending up following a tractor for about 20 miles.

Jill
05-06-2005, 02:24
We prefer to use the 27 from our villa to Miami over the turnpike. It is also on the 'right' side of Miami to pick up US1 and get onto the Keys.

chrisflowers
05-06-2005, 16:20
We have driven down US 27 and also returned up the Turnpike.
Not sure which I thought was the best route.

US 27 was quieter in most parts but was certainly slowed down by traffic lights. Also I nearly got hit twice by drivers acting in a very strange manner (as though you didn't exist).

Stopped off at the everglades (airboating) for a break, before heading off to Islamadora. Long day drive, but worth it when we got there.