PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Gardens

chris c
04-06-2005, 03:46
Well here we are in Florida!!

Have only managed one day out so far and decided on Cypress Gardens as I had promised myself that I would take a look, now that it has reopened.

I have read some slightly negative reports, but have to say that we really enjoyed our day there, despite the terrible weather.

The gardens are lovely, although the topiary animals are a bit manufactured. They are formed around wire frames, not cut to the shapes as I had expected.

There were several shows, including an ice show and a water ski show. Both were good entertainment.

Unfortunately we did not sample any of the rides available as the only one that appealed to me (I'm not a fan of rides) was closed because of the wet weather.

There are still more attractions planned for the park and I would recommend it for a day out.

When you buy your tickets, you can go to the Guest Services and get another ticket for a free day. This must be used within 6 days.

Ray&Sarah
04-06-2005, 03:51
Thanks for the report Chris, we have been trying to decide wether to go and give this park a whirl the next time we are there, sounds as though you thought it was worth it.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
04-06-2005, 13:42
yes Thanx Christine for your helpful notes on Cypress Gardens, i do think we are going to have to have a look around there, i should think on a nice day its a lovely place to go to!

Florida3883
04-06-2005, 15:19
Me too, I'll give it a visit later in the year. Thanks for the report.

Cruella DeVilla
04-06-2005, 18:40
We too enjoyed out day out there in April, it was really pleasant.

esprit
04-06-2005, 19:44
I have been too and you like it more if you have never been before than if you are a regular visitor who keeps harping back to what was there before. We used to go regularly and to us it wasnt as good as it was, the people we were with who had never been before enjoyed it for what it was. I still dont think it is worth the price for what is open, a second day is only worth anything if you use it, I am guessing very few people do.

LiesaAnna
04-06-2005, 21:05
we have never been before so it will be a treat for us to see it

chris c
05-06-2005, 01:47
If you are going out later this year, there will be a lot more to do than when we went, so I think that it will be worth the money.

We didn't go on any rides and the water park was not yet open and we still managed to spend 6 hours there!

LiesaAnna
05-06-2005, 14:31
going in sept/oct chris so am hoping for a good day out for all the family!

Cruella DeVilla
06-06-2005, 06:32
Like Julie says it it probably not worth a second visit even with the free ticket as you can do it all in a day. Going to put some pictures on later so you can have a look Liesa.

LiesaAnna
06-06-2005, 11:34
thanks CDV they are lovely, anyone wants to see them theyre in the photo gallery!

djdigitald
10-06-2005, 13:19
Was due to get married in Cypress Gardens in September 2003 but had to call it off. Hopefully we will get married there someday! :D

chris c
17-06-2005, 00:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
I have been too and you like it more if you have never been before than if you are a regular visitor who keeps harping back to what was there before. We used to go regularly and to us it wasnt as good as it was, the people we were with who had never been before enjoyed it for what it was. I still dont think it is worth the price for what is open, a second day is only worth anything if you use it, I am guessing very few people do.
[/quote]

We did!!

whitfield family
18-06-2005, 14:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
[/quote]

So did we!!

Sueb
25-06-2005, 18:25
Hi,

We went to Cypress Gardens at Christmas 2004 it was great my son who was 11 loved the place and really enjoyed himself. We will be going again this coming Christmas 2005.

It was a nice change from the main theme parks.

Sue

Bazamor
28-08-2005, 04:53
We have just been to the Gardens and loved it. All rides are open and the water park too. No great lines waiting for the rides, a great water ski show, roller coasters( not big ones)beautiful gardens, a fantastic veiw from skytower. Great for people with younger kids although my 2 (16&13) loved it. worth the 40 minute drive to Winter Garden.:)

LiesaAnna
28-08-2005, 13:09
am looking forward to a trip to cypress gardens!!

Paula D-S
30-08-2005, 01:55
My parents have just returned home from Florida having had two grand children with them aged 9. The children have now been going to Florida for a few years and have said they enjoyed this park more than the Disney parks.[msneek]

They also loved the water park. I think what won the children over was no queues. They could just get on and off rides all day.

Paula

chris c
30-08-2005, 02:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
My parents have just returned home from Florida having had two grand children with them aged 9. The children have now been going to Florida for a few years and have said they enjoyed this park more than the Disney parks.[msneek]

They also loved the water park. I think what won the children over was no queues. They could just get on and off rides all day.

Paula
[/quote]

How many rides have they got in the water park? It was not open when we went out.
The water rides are always my favourite!

Paula D-S
30-08-2005, 10:32
[/quote]

How many rides have they got in the water park? It was not open when we went out.
The water rides are always my favourite!
[/quote]

Hi Christine,

They haven't got as many as the Disney Parks, but enough to keep the children entertained for the day.

Have a great time
Paula

LiesaAnna
30-08-2005, 11:29
i think this is the sort of park my (will be 10 on friday) Lauren will enjoy, she liked the bigger theme parks but didnt seem to be much for her as she doesnt like the fast rides or the high ones, so something like a gentler style? which i think this is maybe right up her street, will let you know in 29 days!!

Paula D-S
31-08-2005, 00:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i think this is the sort of park my (will be 10 on friday) Lauren will enjoy, she liked the bigger theme parks but didnt seem to be much for her as she doesnt like the fast rides or the high ones, so something like a gentler style? which i think this is maybe right up her street, will let you know in 29 days!!
[/quote]

I think it will be perfect for her Leisa, our girls were quite chicken on the big theme park rides but went on all of them here, and as I said earlier even better because there were no queues.

Paula

LiesaAnna
31-08-2005, 11:45
thats good to hear, i always feel sorry for her, we spend a tidy sum on these parks but i have been on maybe 3 rides and shes maybe the same, she doesnt like the water rides or anything to fast, wimpish daddy says! she'll be 10 on friday this week so am sure she'll have a better time at cypress gardens so thanks for that Paula

chris c
31-08-2005, 16:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
thats good to hear, i always feel sorry for her, we spend a tidy sum on these parks but i have been on maybe 3 rides and shes maybe the same, she doesnt like the water rides or anything to fast, wimpish daddy says! she'll be 10 on friday this week so am sure she'll have a better time at cypress gardens so thanks for that Paula
[/quote]

Take lots of pictures Liesa to add to your trip report!!

LiesaAnna
31-08-2005, 16:25
will do Christine, thanks!!:D

Linda r
04-09-2005, 02:55
We visited Cypress Gardens last week and we won't be returning.

Our daughter uses a wheelchair and was keen to go on the rides but having arrived at the first ride and asked where the disabled entrance was, we were told there wasn't one. The only access was up stairs. The assistant on the ride also said she would not be able to allow our daughter to ride unless she was wearing a "red band" from customer services.

We made our way back to the car park to collect our daughter's crutches from the car and then on to customer services where our 17 year old daughter was asked to sign a waiver form which stated she accepted any risks from the rides. They only asked her to sign and then asked her to hold out her arm so they could put the red band around her wrist. We then asked just how many of the rides had ramps or adequate disabled access and the reply came back, one or maybe two at most.

We asked to speak to the manager on duty who merely repeated platitues: he was sorry, he took on board what we were saying, he would give feedback to his managers and so on. When I asked if he felt Cypress Gardens were neglecting and discriminating against their disabled guests he just said they complied with state requirements.

We had a difficult time in the ride section of Cypress Gardens but Amy struggled on and managed to get on some of the rides using her crutches. I won't go into what Amy's condition is but suffice to say she was determined.

Would I return to Cypress Gardens - No I would not. The fact that they had re-opened and partly re-modelled the park and yet seem to have given little or no thought to guests with mobility problems in the rides area beggars belief. Then they ask their disabled guests to wear these red bands as a means of identification. The process was humiliating.

It is our intention to write to Cypress Gardens and will let you know what their official reply is.

Disney or Cypress Gardens - easy decision.

Linda

Paula D-S
24-09-2005, 14:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Linda r

We visited Cypress Gardens last week and we won't be returning.

Our daughter uses a wheelchair and was keen to go on the rides but having arrived at the first ride and asked where the disabled entrance was, we were told there wasn't one. The only access was up stairs. The assistant on the ride also said she would not be able to allow our daughter to ride unless she was wearing a "red band" from customer services.

We made our way back to the car park to collect our daughter's crutches from the car and then on to customer services where our 17 year old daughter was asked to sign a waiver form which stated she accepted any risks from the rides. They only asked her to sign and then asked her to hold out her arm so they could put the red band around her wrist. We then asked just how many of the rides had ramps or adequate disabled access and the reply came back, one or maybe two at most.

We asked to speak to the manager on duty who merely repeated platitues: he was sorry, he took on board what we were saying, he would give feedback to his managers and so on. When I asked if he felt Cypress Gardens were neglecting and discriminating against their disabled guests he just said they complied with state requirements.

We had a difficult time in the ride section of Cypress Gardens but Amy struggled on and managed to get on some of the rides using her crutches. I won't go into what Amy's condition is but suffice to say she was determined.

Would I return to Cypress Gardens - No I would not. The fact that they had re-opened and partly re-modelled the park and yet seem to have given little or no thought to guests with mobility problems in the rides area beggars belief. Then they ask their disabled guests to wear these red bands as a means of identification. The process was humiliating.

It is our intention to write to Cypress Gardens and will let you know what their official reply is.

Disney or Cypress Gardens - easy decision.

Linda
[/quote]

I can't believe something so awful happened to you. I hope you wrote a letter of complaint. Hope your daughter had a fab time in all the other parks.

Paula

LiesaAnna
24-09-2005, 19:59
yes i was sorry to see how badly you were treated, am interested to see what they say about it!! keep us informed please Linda

orlandobabe
09-10-2005, 09:47
Well I have been to Cypress Gardens for our second trip this visit and to be honest access for disabled visitors is non existent.

I'm a permanent wheelchair user and don't like rides too much so didn't give it too much thought.

It is a cheek to charge us full price though when we can't use half the facilities.

In fact I shouldn't have to pay at all as my place is sat near a ride holding a 10month old amd watching a 2 year old in his pushchair. I think their mum and dad should pay-lol!

Joking aside though-they haven't given any thought at all to wheelchair users and there were a lot in the park today.

For anyone else-it's a great day out.

heathercobbett
09-10-2005, 16:29
Another thing to note is that they have a very strict food policy and take any food or drink away from you at the entrance.
There is a Perkins opposite the entrance if you prefer to eat off park
Also it looks as if the full programme only operates at the weekend so if you do not want to use the free re visit bear that in mind
We thought it was a good varied day out and we particularly enjoyed the animal section,very quiet on thu,we are going again today and I imagine that it will be busier
It is worth going on their website as they do have special events some days

heathercobbett
10-10-2005, 19:03
We went again yesterday and did their botanical gardens and a couple of shows and walked round the water park. We then all felt so bushed we decided not to stay on for the Halloween night which was included
All in all I think it is good value and a varied day if not as high tech as Universal and Disney.You definitely need to check in advance to find out what is and is not on as it varies day to day
The Bealls opposite had some remarkable bargains yesterday;I got $50 leather shoes for $15.

chris c
11-10-2005, 01:40
We will be making another trip there when we go out in January.
My sister is coming out with us for the first time and she loves gardens.

Now that I know about the Bealls opposite it sounds even more appealing!!

heathercobbett
11-10-2005, 05:32
and a Super K Mart Christine,the whole area seems to be expanding.Don't forget your swimsuit!

chris c
11-10-2005, 18:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett
and a Super K Mart Christine,the whole area seems to be expanding.Don't forget your swimsuit!
[/quote]

I would not be seen in public in my swimsuit!!:D:D:D Could cause a national panic!

heathercobbett
12-10-2005, 16:54
Christine,I am sure that was tongue in cheek but have you looked round a public beach lately?

sharondl
06-06-2006, 02:04
is the water park an extra and there web site doesnt give much info
sharon

robin395
06-06-2006, 03:35
The water park is not extra - we visited in April and had a fantastic time - no crowds at all just a leisurely day!! - my 3 yr old had an absolute ball as he seemed to get one to one attention on all the rides - there were so many for him to go on. and some he had all to himself.

We went back a second day as we were entitled to a free day's entrance.

I would definitely recommend it if you have small kids

Sara

orlandobabe
06-06-2006, 07:25
we went today-monday June 6th-and it was very, very hot.

We bought the year pass at $89.95. It allows free parking and 10%off anything you buy in the park.

For anyone in a wheelchair it is quite a hilly park-most of the walkways/pavements aren't particularly straight either.

It's a good park for little ones.

There's a lovely new walmart just a couple of miles before the gardens-we were too tired to stop off at it.

markemma
10-06-2006, 18:29
We went the other day and although our 5 year old enjoyed it we found it not really worth the money, by the time you have spent $2 per person throughout the day on drinks it comes almost to the same price as disney parks, we came prepared with our usual drinks and picnic and couldn't believe it when they wouldnt let us bring it in, it was a really hot day and had to buy lots of drinks. I wouldn't really recommend it for the price.

Emma