PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire Collection

dcnurse
02-06-2005, 19:57
When arriving in Orlando the lines to collect your car are normally long, especially if your luggage is last to come through! To avoid these lines one member of your party goes staight to car rentals and completes all the paperwork for the car hire, leaving the rest of your party to collect the luggage. By the time the car hire is sorted, the luggage has been collected, you meet at an agreed point and off you go! Turn around and laugh at all those with a further wait at car hire, with tired kids and grumpy adults!

daxon
02-06-2005, 20:14
Doesn't each driver have to go to the car hire collection point though or just one of them?

dcnurse
03-06-2005, 00:06
We have always only sent one, with all the driving licences! Have had no problems with Dollar or Alamo.[msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-06-2005, 01:24
Any driver that does not sign the contract will nto be insured to drive the car I'm afraid. The car hire companies never remind you of this but we have double checked with them and this is the official line on it.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dcnurse
We have always only sent one, with all the driving licences! Have had no problems with Dollar or Alamo.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
03-06-2005, 12:28
thanx John, for a moment it seemed like a good idea!
was just thinking we could do the same! but we wont now![msnwink]

janny
03-06-2005, 12:37
When we arrived at Sanford last month we were told that only one of us was to go the car desk .When I said I was driving as well we were told its ok you will both be on the documents and insured .They say they are trying to keep the queues down inside the car hall.This was dollar .

LiesaAnna
03-06-2005, 15:56
so many desisions we'll decide about the car one when we get there

Katys Grandad
03-06-2005, 16:41
I wouldn't risk it - I wouldn't want the insurance company to have a reason not to pay out if 1 of the drivers who hadn't signed made a claim.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-06-2005, 18:27
It's not true - our advice from the car rental companies is ALL drivers have to sign.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janny
When we arrived at Sanford last month we were told that only one of us was to go the car desk .When I said I was driving as well we were told its ok you will both be on the documents and insured .They say they are trying to keep the queues down inside the car hall.This was dollar .
[/quote]

daxon
03-06-2005, 19:25
Well I definately think its better to be safe than sorry! Half an hour saved could result in a disaster![msnsad]

steph_goodrum
03-06-2005, 20:55
We always do this as we usually only have one driver but if more than one then we send all drivers to collect the car whilst we sort out luggage (helps not having young children). Don't tell everyone though dcnurse or the queue will get longer again.

Badger
21-06-2005, 15:19
We rented a car with Dollar two weeks ago and they were quite sure that only myself had to sign the documents even though my wife could drive. I queried this and the clerk was adamant that only one needed to sign. By the way there was no queue at all at the Dollar desk even though the airport was full and it took us two hours to get through immigration (Sanford)

brizzle
21-06-2005, 15:55
A way around it is to send the person driving you all initially from the airport down to the car rental whilst the others get the luggage.
Then the driver drives you all to your accommodation.

The next day, all rested, go to another office on the 192 or International Drive and get the other drivers to sign documentation.

Et voila sorted.

Brizzle.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-06-2005, 16:13
They are wrong and we strongly advise ALL of our customers to sign the rental agreement if they are going to drive the car. This is the official word direct from both Dollar and Alamo. If you want to do otherwise that's up to you but you need to be aware you will be un-insured and thus if you have an accident you could be personally liable to huge legal and other bills. Personally I would not risk it for the sake of a few minutes extra queueing.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Badger
We rented a car with Dollar two weeks ago and they were quite sure that only myself had to sign the documents even though my wife could drive. I queried this and the clerk was adamant that only one needed to sign. By the way there was no queue at all at the Dollar desk even though the airport was full and it took us two hours to get through immigration (Sanford)
[/quote]

brizzle
21-06-2005, 16:38
But doing it my way would be OK wouldn't it John?
That way no possibly un-insured driver would be at risk.

Brizzle.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-06-2005, 17:16
Yes, absolutely - that would be ok.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
But doing it my way would be OK wouldn't it John?
That way no possibly un-insured driver would be at risk.

Brizzle.
[/quote]

Rich-n-Ang
17-08-2005, 13:41
When we arrived at Sanford 2 weeks ago there was a bad storm just after landing which meant the baggage handlers were not allowed to unload the plane. This meant over an hour wait at the baggage carousel, so the drivers in our party thought we would go to the Car Hire desk while the others waited for the luggage, however the customs guys would not let us through because they said each family had to go through together because of the completed customs forms that needed to be handed in.

So I was wondering how others get around this problem to allow some to go to the Car Hire while others wait for luggage.

On the brighter side when we did eventually go through to the Car Hire the Dollar building was completely empty and we were loading 2 vans within 10 minutes so [msnsmile2] !

blott
17-08-2005, 16:27
At Orlando International Airport, it's a completely different system to Sanford airport. Everyone else is talking about Orlando International.

At Orlando International you go through Customs with all your luggage and your entire party. Then the luggage is collected back again whilst you go on the monorail train to the second luggage collection area. It's then that people are collecting their car whilst others in their party are waiting to collect their luggage.

george
17-08-2005, 23:13
When we were there in June I went to the car hire desk with George and was included as an additional driver. Even though I stood next to him I wasn't asked to sign anything.

Pamela

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
They are wrong and we strongly advise ALL of our customers to sign the rental agreement if they are going to drive the car. This is the official word direct from both Dollar and Alamo. If you want to do otherwise that's up to you but you need to be aware you will be un-insured and thus if you have an accident you could be personally liable to huge legal and other bills. Personally I would not risk it for the sake of a few minutes extra queueing.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Badger
[/quote]
[/quote]

cr1000
19-09-2005, 14:06
Just a quick update, when I arrived at Orlando International on the 3rd September. I and the rest of my party (4 additional drivers) joined the Virgin Holidays line at the Dollar Car Rental desk, and I was advised by the Virgin Rep that the rest of my party need not queue or sign anything, just their driver licences were required.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-09-2005, 14:11
According to the official line from Dollar and Alamo the drivers that did not sign would not have been insured and would thus have potentially HUGE problems if they had an accident.

The official line is that ALL drivers need to sign, even if they are not prompted to do so by the clerk at the desk. You can risk not doing this but I know I would not and as a car hire agent for Dollar and Alamo we cannot advise customers to do this.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cr1000
Just a quick update, when I arrived at Orlando International on the 3rd September. I and the rest of my party (4 additional drivers) joined the Virgin Holidays line at the Dollar Car Rental desk, and I was advised by the Virgin Rep that the rest of my party need not queue or sign anything, just their driver licences were required.
[/quote]

Rich-n-Ang
19-09-2005, 14:51
When we collected our 2 cars the desk agent at Dollar said that as long as he had input everyones driving license details for each car everyone was covered. But after reading all the advice on OV before we went I insisted that ALL drivers signed both forms, he was quite insistent that it wasn't neccessary so it sounds like even Dollar employees don't know the rules.

Also my father-in-law had forgotten to take the photo part of his 2 part driving license (don't ask [msnscared]), the desk agent still put him down as a driver even with the paper part only, which really surprised me, we only put him on as a driver in case of emergency and luckily he didn't need to drive because I'm not convinced he would have been 100% legal, even though the desk clerk said it was OK.