PDA

View Full Version : Bad start but great holiday _ KevinT

KevinT
30-05-2005, 23:45
Having just completed my letter of complaint to the chairman of Excel Airlines about the standard of their service (More of which in
Flying section of forum) I must say that despite the journey problems
we really enjoyed the holiday itself.
It was a landmark birthday for my wife while we were there. Not allowed to say which(but somewhere between 49 and 51[msnwink])so we arranged a few things that I know she likes doing while we were there.
My mother in law usually travels with us. Her first request was to visit Old Town on Saturday night to see the Classic Car Cruise. Unusual request for a 75 year old !! [:O]but she really enjoyed it. She declined the offer of a ride on the Skycoaster or the 0-200 racing cars but stood enthralled looking at the rows of gleaming cars and cheered and clapped as they cruised past. I love the atmosphere of Old Town and we had ribs at Damons[msntongue] and arranged for chair massages at the Spa[^].
First job on the Friday was to check out the house and sort out the few DIY jobs that every owner is faced with. You know ! the ones the MCs don't consider important like loose nut and bolts, wonky toilet seats etc. Not too many jobs this time as the MC had done a good job. Just the table and chairs on the dining set needed tightening up and the foot bar on a six month old breakfast bar stool had a weld broken.(Visions of a six foot - twenty stone individual hoisting himself up using the foot bar only[msneek]). Managed to find a really great welder just five minutes away who did the job in five minutes, Good as new![msnsmile2]
On the Sunday I had booked Sunday Brunch at the Renaissance Hotel near Seaworld as my wife loves eating there. Now for anyone who has never been, this is a marathon eating session which needs careful training. Arriving about 11:30 am you munch your way steadily through 'til about 3pm. The waiter fills your champagne glass, fresh orange juice and water glasses (which get magically topped up every time you drink a quarter[msnwink]) and then you're off!! Starter
tables have every conceivable delight including Strawberry Soup, pastas, salads, fruits, crab claws and other shellfish all set out on tables with ice sculptures and carved vegetables like faces.
Eventually moving on to the main dishes, there was a full carvery
and dishes from all over the world with a huge variety of cooked meats and vegetables. Feeling just a litle bloated by now the dessert table loomed with every type of chocolate gateau , pie (including Key Lime etc)ice cream machine, cakes and a running chocolate fountain for dipping skewered strawbwerries and marshmallows in . By this time the stomach was starting to protest
but the tea, coffee, champagne and orange juice were still flowing.
While we ate , a small jazz combo came round the tables asking for requests. These guys seem to be able to play anything. Often they look surprised and say ' Mmm - does that go something like this?'
And straight away you get a couple of verses of your request.
Next few days were taken up sorting out house requirements with the MC and doing a few small paintwork jobs and visiting shopping malls (to keep he management content!![msnwink]) We also went one evening to the Boardwalk and walked around the lake , watching the fireworks from Epcot around 9pm.
Next small treat arranged was a visit to La Nouba. We never tire of seeing this Cirque de Soleil show, and this time was no exception. They seem to change the show every time we go. As a musician I am fascinated by the guys in the band who are split between two towers, three in one and four in the other, on different sides of the stage, but still manage to keep totally in time. The two singers have
amazing vocal ranges and I spend half my time watching them and missing some of the show. The big stars for me , however , are the small Chinese girls with the diablos. They seem to get more outstanding acrobatics packed into each show and always get a standing ovation at the end of the performance.
On the day of her birthday itself we arranged for afternoon tea a

Ray&Sarah
30-05-2005, 23:55
Greta report Kevin, sounds like you had a good time, apart from the flights. The Renaissance definately sounds worth a visit.[msnsmile2]

KevinT
31-05-2005, 00:04
Thanks Ray & Sarah,

Don't forget to starve for a couple of days if you're going to the Renaissance!![msntongue]
I keep meaning to try the Gaylord Palms but haven't got around to it yet!! Maybe next time
(Sept [clap][clap])

rosie
31-05-2005, 00:16
Great report Kevin [msnsmile]

We can recommend the Gaylord Palms, worth a trip in Sept [msnsmile]

LiesaAnna
31-05-2005, 00:37
great trip report Kevin!!! i bet your a really skinny guy? all that food!!!! strawberry soup sounds interesting!!!

becbecs
31-05-2005, 00:50
Great trip report Kevin.

Keep them coming

walden64
31-05-2005, 00:53
Really enjoyed your trip report Kevin - the Reniassance sounds great - were there any children there? - (just seeing if our 8,13 & 16 year olds would be OK)

Michelle

bellaepovera
31-05-2005, 02:20
I have taken both my kids there Michelle so no problem just go with a very very empty stomach!!

KevinT
31-05-2005, 02:44
Michelle
As Patti says there were lots of children of all ages there when we went. Not sure whether they have reduced prices for younger eaters. One good thing - although they normally charge on exit for parking your car, the car park ticket is stamped when you eat there , and
the charge is waived.

Liesa,
I'm just thirteen stone of skin and bones - (all that food going to waist) :D:D

Newhomebuyer
31-05-2005, 11:28
Great trip report Kevin. I love having afternoon tea at the Floridia and then walking to the Poly via the beach.
I have never been to the Renaissance, but its now a 'must do' for my next visit.
Angela

dawn
31-05-2005, 13:37
Great report - just makes me want to be there right now - I had heard about the Renaissance too - definately one for the list, and just reading about the Parades and Disney makes me tingle!! Can't wait for July[msnsmile2]

Genie
31-05-2005, 14:22
Great report Kevin, we haven't done the renaissance or Gaylord Plams or the Grand Floridian, all on our list of "to do's " there just doesn't seem to be enough time even though we seem to do less and less parks ! Oh well !! there's always next time.

KevinT
31-05-2005, 14:54
I know just what you mean Jean. After numerous trips we still haven't done Kennedy Space Center yet, and I keep wanting to try Cypress Gardens now that it is open again. Trouble is - everytime you go theres a whole bunch of new things to see and do![msnsmile2]

Thanks Angela and Dawn (won't be long 'til July now - we're already on countdown for Sept!):D

CarolAnn
31-05-2005, 17:23
I know what you mean Kevin:) I find it very odd when some people say " oh we have done Florida and the parks!!" Like you guys, we always run out of time, there is always so much to do!! nEW places to try, old ones to revisit because there have been new things added ETC!! Your trip report was fabulous!! [msnsmile2]

KevinT
31-05-2005, 19:08
Thanks CarolAnn,
Hope it's not too long to your next trip to paradise![msnsmile2]

kaysvacationvilla
31-05-2005, 19:48
Hi Kevin,

Glad you had a wonderful trip. I sure do know what you mean about time getting away, as every time we go we always seem to run out of time to do everything that we had intended too. Although, this last trip we did manage to make it to Busch Gardens for the 1st time. I had also wanted to get in airboat rides, but that never happened. Make sure you do make it to KSC on your next trip as we found it be one the high lights of our many trips. Great trip report!

DisneyDreamer
01-06-2005, 01:23
Everytime I go back I am armed with another list of 'to do's'.....mainly places to eat admittedly!!!

Just love reading trip reports...thank you for taking the time out to write it up :)[8D]:)

KevinT
01-06-2005, 02:08
Thanks for taking the time to read it Emma and Kay. I think you could munch your way round Orlando three meals a day for 50 years and still not hit the same restaurant twice!![msntongue]
(Think I might try that sometime - thats if I don't burst trying [:O][:O])

Kay,
Airboat rides !! Thats another "to do" and just two minutes from LB !! Maybe Sept.[msnsmile]

E. Cosgrove
01-06-2005, 02:24
Thats the Renaissance for me as well Kevin. Sounds like you had a great trip

KevinT
01-06-2005, 02:28
Super Liz, thankyou.

Ray&Sarah
01-06-2005, 02:40
Do add Gaylord Palms to your list Kevin, we had a lovely meal there on our last trip, the company was pretty good too, we got to meet Rosie & Al and Tricia & Dave.[msnsmile2]

KevinT
01-06-2005, 03:01
Definitely a must for the next time Ray & Sarah [msntongue] Apparently they have different
nationality meals on different nights so we'll have to pick something exotic!!

Ray&Sarah
01-06-2005, 12:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
Definitely a must for the next time Ray & Sarah [msntongue] Apparently they have different
nationality meals on different nights so we'll have to pick something exotic!!
[/quote]

Yes thats right, we went on Greek night, great selection. Want to go back and sample another night the next time we are in Florida.[msnsmile2]

orlandodaze
02-06-2005, 03:47
Thanks for a great report Kevin. We were very interested in the Sunday Brunch at the Renaissance because we celebrate two birthdays and a wedding anniversary while we are in Florida . Last year we did Sunday Brunch at the Peabody it was superb and we enjoyed seeing the famous Peabody ducks parade in the hotel foyer:) This year we would like to try the Renaissance for a change.

How much is Sunday Brunch anyway?

KevinT
02-06-2005, 16:45
Olive,

I think it was about $35 (ish)per person. Normally the hotel charge a $10 parking fee (I think it was to stop people parking in the Renaissance for free and walking over to Seaworld) but if you eat in the hotel, they endorse your parking ticket and you don't need to pay on exit.
Not the cheapest buffet in Orlando but it is really classy. If you like champagne you could cover the cost in that alone [msnwink] but get someone else to drive !! as the police were very much in evidence when we were there with instant speed checks etc.
We were told of the Peabody (and the ducks!) by my brother in law and keep meaning to go there to see them.

orlandodaze
03-06-2005, 04:13
Thank you Kevin , The Renaissance works out somewhat cheaper than the Peabody,and appears remarkably similar. Yes I take heed about the nondriver. Last year we assumed they gave you just one glass of champagne at the Peabody Brunch bbut they kept filling your glass and my poor husband who is our only driver had to stick to orange juice.This year we are either booking in for one night or taking a taxi. We are staying out in Grand Reserve so that might prove quite expensive . What the hell its our 28th wedding anniversary my [:O]birthday and my sons 25th birthday. My motto any excuse to celebrate

Curly Wurly
08-06-2005, 15:03
Great report Kevin [clap]

My mouth was watering at the 'brunch' description you made it sound so good!! [:P]

KevinT
08-06-2005, 15:12
Thanks Janice,

For real "mouth watering" check out my photo of the melted chocolate fountain at the Renaissance

on another thread. http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_21182.asp

orlandodaze
08-06-2005, 17:35
My artries are getting clogged just looking at it. I cant wait.Thanks Kevin.

KevinT
08-06-2005, 22:30
Have a brilliant time Olive then we'll be able to see your trip report.

When do you go?

sundowner
09-06-2005, 13:17
Great trip report, I just love reading them

Olive, hope you have a great time, look forward to hearing all about it.

Why not really push the boat out and hire a limo to take you there.

julieanne
14-06-2005, 17:18
Kevin - reading your report makes me glad we decided against the Excel flight- sounds pretty grim [msnmad]
Our outbound flight with Iceland Air wasn't much better tho - will post more details on the flying forum soon...

Great report - glad you enjoyed your holiday [msncool]