View Full Version : limit to pages per topic

tezz7628
27-05-2005, 19:07
do you want the members to have some kind of limit to the pages per topic

already mentioned has been villa community site

and approaching that is the slimming club and the holiday countdown

amy
27-05-2005, 19:19
Tezz, there is one much longer it has 164 pages and is still growing daily.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628

[/quote]

florida4sun
27-05-2005, 20:17
Not sure I follow, if a topic is active and getting lots of replies, then why should it be limited? The whole idea of a forum is for people to add to the threads. Or am I missing something?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628

[/quote]

DiannaUK
27-05-2005, 20:49
I agree, go with the flow. Some of the best threads are the longest. Different if they're becoming silly, but then I guess the moderators take care of that anyway.

Di.

Cruella DeVilla
27-05-2005, 22:10
No you should not limit the threads.

E. Cosgrove
27-05-2005, 23:48
John did mention something about this before as he felt it could create a technical problem if threads became too long. Was this not the idea of the communities section so that the threads could be broken down into smaller threads for each community?
I'm sure John has the answer to this one and will reply when he gets to Florida[msnsmile2]

domster
28-05-2005, 01:20
I liked the idea of adding a community section for owners as this seperated these threads from the others.

I don't like the idea of limiting thread size. That is the whole point of a forum, to allow people to ask questions and help each other. Limiting this would put people off.

blott
28-05-2005, 02:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
John did mention something about this before as he felt it could create a technical problem if threads became too long. Was this not the idea of the communities section so that the threads could be broken down into smaller threads for each community?
I'm sure John has the answer to this one and will reply when he gets to Florida[msnsmile2][/quote]It was because of the Highgrove thread as people were experiencing problems with it when it got to about 150 odd pages and took a long time to load - I think, if I remember correctly! :)

LiesaAnna
28-05-2005, 02:42
why not erase the first 10 pages as they grow, so theyre not so "old" i tapped into search for something and the sort of answer came up a few times but went back to 2002 and is outdated price wise and differences, but as time goes by new members repeat the question as it is so far back they havent found it?

blott
28-05-2005, 02:44
Every so often John archives the older threads so that they're still searchable (by ticking the box in the search form). You can still find out some useful info in the older threads!

E. Cosgrove
28-05-2005, 13:27
Thanks Blott, I knew Iwasn't dreaming and that I had read it somewhere!<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I'm sure John has the answer to this one and will reply when he gets to Florida[msnsmile2][/quote]It was because of the Highgrove thread as people were experiencing problems with it when it got to about 150 odd pages and took a long time to load - I think, if I remember correctly! :)
[/quote]

tezz7628
28-05-2005, 16:16
good grief you are taking me the wrong way

i am talking about the size and the time it takes to load just been on dialup again for about a month [msnmad]

technical problem with aol

the highgrove thread was the one that brought the problem to my attention

i am thinking of having subjects with a part 2 etc so they dont take as long to download

i could never think about closing a subject down as it is not my place to do so

lindajo
31-05-2005, 13:25
I am on dial-up with AOL and had similar problems but since we increased the memory on the PC it has really speeded things up and we don't have that problem any more.
Lindajo