PDA

View Full Version : HOW LONG TO ALLOW AT CHECK IN BEFORE FLIGHT LEAVES

Elaine62
27-05-2005, 01:30
we've just received our ticket info from charter travel and the letter says that we should arrive at the airport 4 hours before the flight leaves, is this not excessive?

we've already got our seats booked, why do we need to arrive so early? we're staying at the Arora near gatwick on teh friday night and as our flight is at 10.55 I reckoned that 9am was sufficient time to book in our luggage etc, can you advise?

Elaine

DiannaUK
27-05-2005, 01:39
Since 9/11 there is a much longer check-in requirement than used to be the case. We have always had to check in 3 hours ahead since 9/11. If it says 4 hours, then I would do this personally, always best to be early than late !!

Magical Dreams
27-05-2005, 01:42
Are you doing twilight check in?

If so, I am sure it is 2hrs before. But they will tell you when you check in.

Jill
27-05-2005, 01:43
It also depends on which airline you are flying with. When using BA we always check in on line then only need to allow a max 2 hours at the airport. Virgin also have online check in and twilight check so you can drop your bags off at the airport the night before you fly.

benfilo
27-05-2005, 01:48
we go in 2 weeks our tickets say check in no later than 2 hours, it's a 9.25 am flight so I'll give it about 2 and a half hours, time for a big brekky then[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

zx6r
27-05-2005, 02:12
We also have booked through Charter Travel and have also been advised to check in 4hrs. prior to departure. We thought this was maybe an American Airlines thing as we have never had to be there as early before.

summerset
27-05-2005, 02:29
Check in seems to take longer these days and depends on the airline but I have always worked on 3 hrs if using H'row or Gatwick,

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-05-2005, 02:34
We're travelling with Virgin from MAN to MCO tomorrow and have already checked in online. We just have to turn up at the airport no less than an hour before departure time and drop our cases off before boarding our flight. Perfect - as we do not have to get up at the crack of dawn [msnsmile2]

Paula D-S
27-05-2005, 02:38
We have also booked with charter travel, we fly out on Monday and have been told to check in 4 hours before. I think we may get there a little earlier because although flight is booked with us airways the transatlantic flight is with British Midland and they won't allow you to pre book seats. Not complaining though as the children would say "only four more sleeps".[8D][8D][8D][8D]

Elaine62
27-05-2005, 02:39
we're flying with BA but will have left home to go to LOndon more than 24 hours before our gatwick departure time, can you check in outwith the 24 hours, say on the Thursday night which would be 36/40 hours?

Frosty
27-05-2005, 03:19
In theory you only have to check in before the check-in desk closes.

Most check-ins close 1 hour before the departure time, so you just have to be there before that time.
The airlines always say 3 or 4 hours so that everyone will be there and checked before the desk closes.

On my last flight from Birmingham, Britannia said you had to be there 3 hours before but they didn't open the check-in until 3 hours before departure. This would mean they had everyone there in the queue but it would still take well over an hour to check everyone, so they in effect break there own rules.

dawn thirkill
27-05-2005, 03:44
frosty has it in one....all airlines vary in what they say...we say the maximum time to allow all our passengers to have been asked to be at the airport in plenty of time...as any passenger that will be "bumped" off the flight or moved from pre requested seat numbers will be the last ones to be checking in. If we say 3 hours passengers arrive 2 hours,if we say 4 hours they tend to arrive about 3 hours..its to try and cover all eventualities...

If you are regular travellers you know the drill and allow the times required, we only offer the advice.

Dawn

27-05-2005, 10:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
We have also booked with charter travel, we fly out on Monday and have been told to check in 4 hours before. I think we may get there a little earlier because although flight is booked with us airways the transatlantic flight is with British Midland and they won't allow you to pre book seats. Not complaining though as the children would say "only four more sleeps".[8D][8D][8D][8D]
[/quote]

My husband uses BMI al the time and they DO allow you to book seats you can do it at time of booking[msnsmile2]

27-05-2005, 10:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dawn thirkill
frosty has it in one....all airlines vary in what they say...we say the maximum time to allow all our passengers to have been asked to be at the airport in plenty of time...as any passenger that will be "bumped" off the flight or moved from pre requested seat numbers will be the last ones to be checking in. If we say 3 hours passengers arrive 2 hours,if we say 4 hours they tend to arrive about 3 hours..its to try and cover all eventualities...

If you are regular travellers you know the drill and allow the times required, we only offer the advice.

Dawn

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Dawn, when you say 'we' I take you mean Charter Travel? You are the Dawn from Charter Travel??[msnwink]

AngelaB
27-05-2005, 11:22
You do realise dawn you are gonna be bombarded with questions...[msnwink][msnwink]

Michelle
27-05-2005, 11:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

Dawn

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Dawn, when you say 'we' I take you mean Charter Travel? You are the Dawn from Charter Travel??[msnwink]
[/quote]

Hi Lucy, yes you have it in one, yes it is Dawn of Charter Travel.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-05-2005, 11:41
Welcome to the forums Dawn [msnsmile]

Dawn

[/quote]

jolliffee
27-05-2005, 12:39

Dawn
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Dawn; you'll be a good source of information to all these questions...[msnsmile2]

gromit
27-05-2005, 15:49
Welcome Dawn!

Travelling BA you only need to check in 2 hours before, especially if you have your seats already allocated. The times given are usually to allow for long queues at check-in and security. 2 hours still might seem a long time, but by the time you have dropped off your bags, been through security and checked out where the gate is etc, this time will really pass quite quickly.

Have a great time to those of you travelling soon.

Camilla

Carla
27-05-2005, 15:58
Are you staying at a Gatwick airport hotel? If yes, then if the hotel has a computer you can check-in online, or you could nip into the airport and check-in online at one of the airport computers. Not sure if BA have twilight check-in for the Orlando flight.

I'm pretty sure that you have to be an Executive Club member to check-in online, but it's easy to join. You also have to give them your passport details.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Elaine62
we're flying with BA but will have left home to go to LOndon more than 24 hours before our gatwick departure time, can you check in outwith the 24 hours, say on the Thursday night which would be 36/40 hours?
[/quote]

Sally D
27-05-2005, 16:11
BA's website say that you can check in between 4pm and 10pm at Gatwick for all long haul flights the day before.

We are going to do this when we go in October as we are staying over night at Gatwick.

Kissyme
27-05-2005, 17:57
Hi Dawn and welcome I may be a bit wierd but I like getting to the airport early we might check in on-line this time but will still get there about 3 hours before the flight. Main reason is the M25 can be murder if there is an accident but also I like to have a great big breakfast then mooch around the shops, buy all the kids magazines and just watch everyone else looking excited about their hols

LiesaAnna
27-05-2005, 18:02
we're the same Kym, we like to wander around the airport have breakfast and relax, its good getting there so nice and early!! we try to get there at least 4 hours before, last time we did twilight checkin and still went there early the next morning! its all part of the holiday and i cant sleep anyway, but our main fear is like Kym says is the M23/M25 always a worry!!!

becbecs
27-05-2005, 18:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kissyme
Hi Dawn and welcome I may be a bit wierd but I like getting to the airport early we might check in on-line this time but will still get there about 3 hours before the flight. Main reason is the M25 can be murder if there is an accident but also I like to have a great big breakfast then mooch around the shops, buy all the kids magazines and just watch everyone else looking excited about their hols
[/quote]

You sound like us Kym

We like to get there about 3 hours before travel because as soon as we leave the house our hoilday starts. But it does give you plenty of time to have a look around and buy the things you want for your travel. As we are travelling with Virgin in August may try the Online Check-In this time, but will still prob arrive at the Airport early.

steph_goodrum
27-05-2005, 18:39
We do both whenever possible, when flying with Virgin, checkin online but usually stop overnigt but as our next flights dont go till 4 in the afternoon will travel in the morning, but having checkin in gives us a couple of hours leeway if there is any delay due to traffic.

Kissyme
27-05-2005, 19:08
Hi Fraser we are also away in August so maybe see you at the airport lol I`m the one hovering by the smoking area with all the hand luggage cos the boy`s say it looks too much like handbags !!

becbecs
27-05-2005, 19:15
Hi Kym

I'll probably be hiding somewhere like the Bar [beer], keeping out of the way of my wife and 2 Daughters who will no doubt be at Duty Free racking the CCard bill up. [msncry]

florida
27-05-2005, 23:08
Glad to see after our chat at the Cheese & Wine last week that you have been brave enough to take the plunge and reveal your identity. Welcome to the forum Dawn look foward to seeing/speaking to you again soon.

E. Cosgrove
27-05-2005, 23:22
I think with BA you can check in 24hours before if you have executive club membership, or 12 hours before if not.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
Are you staying at a Gatwick airport hotel? If yes, then if the hotel has a computer you can check-in online, or you could nip into the airport and check-in online at one of the airport computers. Not sure if BA have twilight check-in for the Orlando flight.

I'm pretty sure that you have to be an Executive Club member to check-in online, but it's easy to join. You also have to give them your passport details.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Elaine62
[/quote]
[/quote]

domster
28-05-2005, 01:37
4 Hours does seem rather excessive. If you have pre booked seats then you could leave it the regulation 2 hours. I have never waited 4 hours for a flight ever!

Jules
28-05-2005, 14:34
We usually travel Virgin from Manchester and check in on line but we still arrive in plenty of time as my holiday starts as soon as I leave home.

I don't mind spending time at the airport wandering around the duty free or watching the planes as once I have checked in I can relax knowing that we are on our way. We usually use downtown Disnet check in for the return journey so that we can spend as long as possible enjoying our holiday.

I have just come back from last minute trip to Orlando where I flew into Sandford. When we landed we were advised to check in "at least 4 hours" before our flight home was due to take off. I thought this was excessive but as we had to be out of our villa by 10am as we had guests arriving we did arrive just 4 hours before.

I was so glad we did, check in was fine it took around 40 mins but the queue for the security check was right outside the building almost to arrivals. There were only 2 security desks where as at Orlando International I think there are around 15. It took well over an hour to get through even though when you got to the front of the queue everyone was working very quickly. If I had arrived just a couple of hours before as I would have liked to I would have been panicking that I would not get through in time. I also noticed that by the time we got to the front of the security lines the check in line was at least twice as long as when we went through, obviously full of people like me, who if given the choice would have turned up just a couple of hours before.

I know that it is unlikely that you would actually miss your flight once you have checked in. We did hear staff shouting for passengers from certain flights and ushering them through as their flight was boarding, but I would rather not have the stress. Once we had cleared security we did at least have time for some duty free shopping and a drink.

Elaine62
28-05-2005, 14:41
I think we can do twilight check in with BA the day before, does anyone know if we have to relinquish our cases?

I'd rather put the clothes we'll be wearing on the Friday into one of the cases and hand these cases in on the Saturday, rather than carrying the clothes around as hand luggage on the trip! Bit fussy I know but it's what i'd prefer.

Elaine

Kissyme
30-05-2005, 13:44
Have to agree about the Security checks when we went in Jan had to queue for a long time at MCO it seems they were searching pretty much every one it took us about 20 mins to check in and 1 hr in the security line I don`t mind though as I feel safer knowing they are being thorough.

julieanne
17-06-2005, 18:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jules

We usually travel Virgin from Manchester and check in on line but we still arrive in plenty of time as my holiday starts as soon as I leave home.

I don't mind spending time at the airport wandering around the duty free or watching the planes as once I have checked in I can relax knowing that we are on our way. We usually use downtown Disnet check in for the return journey so that we can spend as long as possible enjoying our holiday.

I have just come back from last minute trip to Orlando where I flew into Sandford. When we landed we were advised to check in "at least 4 hours" before our flight home was due to take off. I thought this was excessive but as we had to be out of our villa by 10am as we had guests arriving we did arrive just 4 hours before.

I was so glad we did, check in was fine it took around 40 mins but the queue for the security check was right outside the building almost to arrivals. There were only 2 security desks where as at Orlando International I think there are around 15. It took well over an hour to get through even though when you got to the front of the queue everyone was working very quickly. If I had arrived just a couple of hours before as I would have liked to I would have been panicking that I would not get through in time. I also noticed that by the time we got to the front of the security lines the check in line was at least twice as long as when we went through, obviously full of people like me, who if given the choice would have turned up just a couple of hours before.

I know that it is unlikely that you would actually miss your flight once you have checked in. We did hear staff shouting for passengers from certain flights and ushering them through as their flight was boarding, but I would rather not have the stress. Once we had cleared security we did at least have time for some duty free shopping and a drink.

[/quote]

Like you Jules we usually fly Virgin from Manchester and use the Disney check in.
Just got back from Sanford this week and maybe we were lucky but we walked straight thru security at Sanford. Checked in as soon as it opened, we were first people there, spent the day out and about and got back to the aiport about an hour and a half before take-off. No queue at security we just went straight thru - easy peasy [msnwink]
As I say perhaps we just got lucky.....