PDA

View Full Version : Walkie-Talkies?

Cowboy
27-03-2003, 01:34
My daughter is visiting Florida with us when we go over in May and she is thinking of buying a set of walkie-talkies from Argus because she would like to use them in the UK as well to keep in contact with her son at times. Does anyone know if they will work efficiently in Florida?
Her friend, who stayed in our villa in February, hired a set in Florida but said there was quite a lot of 'interesting interference' on them. John seems pleased with the ones purchased at Walmart which he mentions in the mobile phone topic. Has anyone any other experiences or advice?

Mike[?]

blott
27-03-2003, 02:40
Hi Cowboy Mike

The problem with walkie talkies purchased in another country is that they use different frequencies. Whilst this might be good for not getting interference, the UK frequencies are not licensed for personal use in the US and the US frequencies are the same as the emergency services use in the UK.

So, whilst UK ones 'work' in Florida and US ones 'work' in UK, they can cause all sorts of mayhem with other services who use these frequencies.

pbensur
27-03-2003, 04:48
Tried the walkie-talkies once when visiting the parks and it's true about the interference - it was a waste. If you can manage a couple of cellular phones, that's your best bet for keeping in touch with eachother.

tinkerbell
27-03-2003, 14:41
We've always used motorola walkie talkies we bought again in Walmart. They were not the cheapest on offer, but they give such good coverage and we never failed to get hold of each other. Absolutely indispensable to our family trips!

Oops[:I]! Didn't know about the US ones being the frequecies here in teh UK for emergency services! Wouldn't be too pleased with us lot around xmas time then when we have them scattered around the houses in the street while we all prepare different parts of the dinner!!!

orlandobabe
27-03-2003, 14:48
I think ours are the motorola ones also-we bought one set and used it per couple and have since bought another set from the Costco on the Orange Blossom Trail so we get one each.

I think they are brilliant. The set from costco had it's own battery charger and was just $50.

We usually just get one car and my hubby will take our daughter and son in law to a park when we are having an in-day doing jobs. As they work within a 3 mile radius when it's time to pick them up he'll just call them and arrange where to pick them up as he gets within calling distance of the park.

They are great round Wal mart, Super target and the malls! Save lots of' where are they at?' time. Great on the occasions you have two cars and one carload gets lost as usual.

steph_goodrum
27-03-2003, 15:28
They're also useful if you are stopping on a development with communal facilities that older children may want to go off and use.

floridahol
27-03-2003, 21:46
Hi Mike, we used Argos walkie talkies in the parks when we were over last month and they were brilliant. Worth every penny - no interference, and no problems picking up other signals. I would recomend them.:D

steph_goodrum
28-03-2003, 00:08
The problem is Floridahol as as been said they WILL work in both countries but they work on differently allocated frequencies and just because you aren't getting any interference doesn't mean you aren't CAUSING any. If you do a search on here the frequencies have been posted, if you use the US one in the UK you are actually using channels allocated to emergency services but I don't know what the channels the UK ones use have been allocated to in the US. It could be something like Air traffic control as an example.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-03-2003, 01:06
I'd agree Steph. You could land yourself in a lot of trouble using UK ones in the US and vice versa.

It's more likely to be emergency services as Air Traffic Control use the same frequencies the world over - 108 to 135 MHz if I recall correctly (I'm a pilot in my spare time :)).

mikewj
29-03-2003, 00:39
We bought Motorola walkie talkies in Walmart too. They are invaluable when you lose a member of your party in a park or mall, and they are a lot cheaper in the US than they are over here.

The frequencies interfere with UK emergency services tho', so you dont really want to use them back home unless you really need to.

steph_goodrum
29-03-2003, 02:19
quote:(I'm a pilot in my spare time ).
Sarah, It's about time you sorted John out , he's got a job, a wife, children , however many homes etc....he shouldn't HAVE any spare time, you should have him cleaning windows or something.:D:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-03-2003, 02:53
hehehehe - she aleady does Steph.

I've had to take to flying to meetings in my day job - had a wonderful flight to Ipswich (http://www.poplarhall.co.uk/poplaraviation/index.shtml if anyone is interested) and back on Monday just gone :D:D:D.

steph_goodrum
29-03-2003, 11:51
Well that's all right John. I must admit that's the one thing I miss from when I used to work, as I worked at Marconi Avionics, the engineers had a scheme where they could get their PPL and of course had to do enough hours a year to keep it current, as we were next door to Rochester airfield as soon as the weather was reasonable they would book a lunchtime flight and we'd quite often go for a spin, usually up over the Thames or somewhere but it was nice to get out of the office for an hour.

Rushton50
07-04-2003, 10:32
Hi all as a newbie i would like to offer my experiences here if i may.

I work in retail and run a large superstore and on many visits to florida have bought a few of these walkie talkies and found no problems in the uk as the police , ambulance and fire depts use 13mhz frequencies and walkie talkies of around £18 from walmart use the 40-44 mhz frequency so in theory there should be no cause for concern and mmust say we have had many visits to our shop from the local constabulary regarding shop lifters and even used them in their company with no effect to them and vice versa.
I intend to buy a few more as a couple were dropped fro a great hight, made a lovely pattern on the floor though....lol

hope this is of use to you all.

tinkerbell
07-04-2003, 12:55
Phew what a relief!! Had visions of the police turning up at the door on christmas day!!!!

chrisj
05-08-2003, 15:57
An update on Walkie Talkies, We bought 2 TR620-2's from Wal Mart and used them during
our holiday. Back home have checked who I am sharing the air ways with

Here are just a few

Radio Authority
Army
Navy
On Board Ship Phones Channels 5 to 12
Capital Flying eye
Dartford Tunnel
London Eye Control
Mercury mini pagers
Marine and Coastal authority

However, mine have a max range of 2 miles and use a very low wat output that even if
I was standing next to one of the above, it wouldnt/shouldnt cause a problem.

We now use them when the kids go to the park at the back of our house and have had no
issues.

steph_goodrum
05-08-2003, 17:32
"Back home have checked who I am sharing the air ways with

Here are just a few

Radio Authority
Army
Navy
On Board Ship Phones Channels 5 to 12
Capital Flying eye
Dartford Tunnel
London Eye Control
Mercury mini pagers
Marine and Coastal authority"

As long as it's no one important then Chris. Mind you I would be a bit concerned if anyone was bringing them home and did use them here that was within range of the Capital Flying Eye, interference on any flying frequency could be disastrous to both those on board and on the ground, that is why the American websites all say they are not licensed for use in the UK. Although you may not have had any issues that not to say someone else isn't picking up your transmissions.

:D:D:D

chrisj
05-08-2003, 17:56
Steph

I agree they can be dangerous, but for us we live in quite an isolated area, its a known
blackspot for our mobile phones. So im sure they should be ok.

We do only intend to use them when the kids are playing in the feilds out the back so we
can keep track on them. I also had one of them on continue scan on all the channels over
the weekend and we picked up no one.

Checked in Argos and something similar costs upto £100, so $17 was a bargain.

Chris

steph_goodrum
05-08-2003, 22:52
I know what you mean, about the difference in price Chris, I bought a set of 3 in Argos for my nephews and brother for Christmas (about £49 for triple pack) as we've found them so useful and the boys are getting to the age (10 and 8) of wanting a bit more freedom so figured it would be a good way for them to keep in touch when they are allowed out.

chrisj
06-08-2003, 00:52
Steph

The words rip of britain come to mind

Chris

mikewj
06-08-2003, 04:01
Got to admit that they have come down in price in the UK since we bought our first set in the US of A.

Back then we paid around $30 for a pair of walkie talkies in Walmart whereas the comparable set in Argos would have cost around £100 !!!

chrisj
06-08-2003, 04:29
They are getting cheaper, but not as cheap as in Florida though.