PDA

View Full Version : Icelandic Airlines

julieanne
26-05-2005, 12:47
Had a phone call yesterday from First Choice who we are meant to be flying with on Sunday. We will now be on an Icelandic Air plane - has anyone flown with them recently??
I'm particulary disappointed because we had upgraded to First Choice's premium service especially to make the flight more comfortable for my parents and the plane we are now getting does not have this facility [msnmad]

What with the insurance problemsthe last two weeks have been stressful enough without this[msneek]

Never mind at least we're still going [msncool]

LiesaAnna
26-05-2005, 13:22
oh thats so not fair Julie!!!
hope they refund you!!
[msnoo]

dawn
26-05-2005, 14:04
They won't refund I'm sure, you will find in the smallprint they reserve the right to substitute aircraft[msnsad]if they need to. You should be compensated for the extra cost in booking premium however.

50sumtng
26-05-2005, 14:56
On day, the travel industry will wake up to the fact that they cannot treat customers this way.
We have long since given up booking with agents and now only book direct with airlines, car hire companies etc..
Guess the industry will realise when they find their customer base has deserted

mr flibble
26-05-2005, 15:05
Hi:)
If it is any compensation we have flown with icelandair and had good flights and good service.
The aircraft were very comfortable and we had emergancy exits out & back.
Have a great holiday[msncool]

julieanne
26-05-2005, 15:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mr flibble
Hi:)
If it is any compensation we have flown with icelandair and had good flights and good service.
The aircraft were very comfortable and we had emergancy exits out & back.
Have a great holiday[msncool]
[/quote]

Thanks Ian - lets hope I can say the same about them when I get back. :)

26-05-2005, 15:30
Julie where are you flying from?

julieanne
26-05-2005, 15:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
Julie where are you flying from?
[/quote]
Newcastle

26-05-2005, 15:41
Can't find any reviews but Icelandair lease a lot of aircarft to many companies and they have a good reputation for such. It would worth asking what aircarft they will be using and if it will be crewed by Icelndair?

This link may help.........

http://www.icelandair.co.uk/main/view.jsp?branch=494694

[msnsmile]

julieanne
26-05-2005, 15:50
Thanks Julie - we'll make the most of it whatever happens.

Was told the configuration is 2 - 3 - 2 so shouldn't feel too cramped - hopefully!!

Just disappointed as I wanted my Mum and Dad to be as comfy as possible.

imported_n/a
26-05-2005, 16:12
Hi juleanne
Have a look on www.airlinequality.com. some commments on there.

allenc[drinkbeer]
ps they say its nice in reykjavik this time of year[msnwink]

26-05-2005, 16:35
Julie I have done some searching and found out they have 2 767's which they charter out to other airlines so heres a photo for you........

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mach 2/2005526123531_814173.jpg

[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
26-05-2005, 16:41
have looked on airline reviews and have found many reviews praisng icelandic express, dont know if this helps?

Steve and Dawn
26-05-2005, 16:54
Sorry to hear that Julie, Can I ask how much you paid for the package? Maybe next time you will be able to have a look around the airlines and put together a package of your own. Have a great time anyway.

Steve & Dawn

26-05-2005, 16:58
Julie I actually feel this is a positive not a negative, as Liesa says there are many good reviews when you do a search. They are predominantly a scheduled airline and their cabin crew and safety come out very well!!

[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

Cruella DeVilla
26-05-2005, 16:59
Julie, Just think about what's waiting for you at the other end!:D

julieanne
26-05-2005, 17:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve and Dawn
Sorry to hear that Julie, Can I ask how much you paid for the package? Maybe next time you will be able to have a look around the airlines and put together a package of your own. Have a great time anyway.

Steve & Dawn
[/quote]

I only booked flight thru First Choice. Booked it all myself - I'm sure it will all be fine.

julieanne
26-05-2005, 17:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Julie, Just think about what's waiting for you at the other end!:D
[/quote]
I can't stop thinking about it [laugh] [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
26-05-2005, 19:37
I can think of nowt else at the minute either Julie as we fly Saturday[8D]

wrightbuxton
26-05-2005, 20:31
Hi

the same thing happened to us a few years ago, should have flown with Virgin but their new planes had not arrived in time so we went with Icelandic Air. I have to say we were not disappointed, in fact the plane we flew on was supposed to be the same as Airforce One.

It got us to there quicker, the plane was huge, the cabin crew were great (a mixture of Virgin and Air Icelandic) and we even got compensation from Virgin.

Hope this helps.

Steve and Dawn
26-05-2005, 21:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrightbuxton
Hi

the same thing happened to us a few years ago, should have flown with Virgin but their new planes had not arrived in time so we went with Icelandic Air. I have to say we were not disappointed, in fact the plane we flew on was supposed to be the same as Airforce One.

It got us to there quicker, the plane was huge, the cabin crew were great (a mixture of Virgin and Air Icelandic) and we even got compensation from Virgin.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

That's great, good of Virgin to compensate you as well after all it is the right thing to do.

Steve & Dawn

domster
26-05-2005, 21:35
I would imagine they would have to refund you the money as you are not getting what you booked. And that is against consumer rights.

If you book a holiday to stay in the Hilton and they put you in a travellodge (not that im against them), you have not got the product you have asked for.

maybe I am wrong.

from what everyone says about the Icelandic flights they seem good and no doubt the service will still be good.

26-05-2005, 21:46
Dom its all in the small print [msnwink]

julieanne
15-06-2005, 02:25
Well I've got to say that our experience with Iceland Air was not a good one.

My hand baggage wasn't allowed on the plane, it is a small cabin bag and has been weighed and measured many times with no problems. It only contained a few travel documents and some tablets which they insisted I took out while they weighed the bag again. This time it weighed even more than it had with the few bits in it!!!! So they insisted it was too heavy to be accepted [msnmad]

We were only 30 mins late taking off so that was not too bad.

We already knew there were no premium seats available (thats why we were on this plane to start with - as First Choice did not have their plane available) but were disappointed to find that we were on the last row of the plane. Altho this did have the advantage of no one being behind us.
My seat did not have a seat belt, the steward I told was totally disinterested - but the stewardess who came round to do the final check almost had me taken off the plane as I "shouldn't be allowed to fly with no seat belt." After much discussion they decided to look for "something to replace it" - it took them so long we were up in the air before they realised they had nothing that would be of any use!!!!!

There was only one screen at the front of the cabin - only one film was shown and the volume was so low hardly anyone could hear it. The meal was the usual airline standard - and we had one other drinks service - the crew were more interested in each other than their passengers.

Time to land - the same stewardess who had almost refused to let me fly earlier was now amazed that I had no seat belt and wanted to know why I hadn't told them before we took off [msnoo]
I was speechless [msnoo] [msnmad]

The flight home was a much better experience - which I will post soon.....

15-06-2005, 10:38
Julieanne - they have broken aviaton law by letting you take off with out a seat belt!!![msnmad][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad] They have put you life at risk[msnmad][msnmad][msnmad] Please tell me you are going to complain big time???? You must not let this pass without a mega complaint - I am horrified[msneek][msneek][msneek]

RIS
15-06-2005, 12:29
Sometimes the seat belt can ‘get lost’ under the seat cushion. Did anyone look there? It would be very unusual for it to just not be there at all. If it had been removed to be fixed an entry would have to be made in the ‘Tech log’ and then ‘cleared’ before flight.

julieanne
15-06-2005, 12:54
Julie
I have complained to FC as they were the airline I booked with.
In hindsight I suppose I should have made more of it at the time but it was so frustrating that they didn't seem to understand me or want to understand me that I kinda got distracted from what I was actually complaining about. I know that sounds daft now but at the time I think I was more angry about that - it wasn't till I thought about it later that I realised how serious it was or could have been...

Roger
At first I thought it must just be caught under the seat - but there was definately no seat belt there.

15-06-2005, 14:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
Sometimes the seat belt can ‘get lost’ under the seat cushion. Did anyone look there? It would be very unusual for it to just not be there at all. If it had been removed to be fixed an entry would have to be made in the ‘Tech log’ and then ‘cleared’ before flight.
[/quote]

Under the seat would be the first place the crew would look as they are used to this sort of thing.

It would not always get put in the Tech Log if the cabin crew on the previous flight removed it (which is easy to do) for whatever reason it may have got soiled, but unless they passed the info on to the senior or the flight crew it would not get logged. It should also get noticed by the cleaners on the turn round.

That flight should not have taken off with out you being strapped in, when the crew come through the cabin they (not you!!!) have to check all passengers are seat belted they then give the 'checks complete ' signal to the flight crew who cannot take off without them.

julieanne
15-06-2005, 15:23
[/quote]

Under the seat would be the first place the crew would look as they are used to this sort of thing.

It would not always get put in the Tech Log if the cabin crew on the previous flight removed it (which is easy to do) for whatever reason it may have got soiled, but unless they passed the info on to the senior or the flight crew it would not get logged. It should also get noticed by the cleaners on the turn round.

That flight should not have taken off with out you being strapped in, <span style="color:red">when the crew come through the cabin they (not you!!!) have to check all passengers are seat belted they then give the 'checks complete ' signal to the flight crew who cannot take off without them.</span id="red">[/quote]

That was the biggest problem tho Lucy - they were not interested in the passengers at all throughout the entire flight. And to make matters worse their English was not excellent - altho I do suspect that was just because it suited them not to get invovled with the passengers at all. There were lots of angry passengers due to the poor condtions and service [msnmad]

pieman790
15-06-2005, 15:31
BMI have inroduced an Icelandic airlines flight on their Washington Route. Its a an old B757 with no seat back TV's and very little in way of comfort. We have just returned on this plane and have to say that i was not impressed, mainly as we have alway flown on BMI's Airbus 330.
We were booked on this route on our next flight later in the year and decided to change to BMI chicago route as they continue to fly the Airbus.
Having said that the crew were very friendly and lots after the kids. (mixture of BMI crew and Icelandic airlines) You do fly under Icelandic law and we were not allowed to use the car seat for take off's or landing even though we had flown into Washington on United the same day and used the car seat.

RIS
15-06-2005, 16:22
[/quote]

That flight should not have taken off with out you being strapped in, when the crew come through the cabin they (not you!!!) have to check all passengers are seat belted they then give the 'checks complete ' signal to the flight crew who cannot take off without them.
[/quote]

Lucy

I am not Saying what did happen I am saying what Should happen. As I am sure that you know yourself if the belt is removed by the C/S it should be reported in the ‘Cabin Log’ and as it is part of the safety equipment the defect must then be transferred to the Aircraft Technical Log which must be signed of by and engineer and the Captain before the aircraft is next ‘Released to Service’. One possible explanation as how this got missed is that the aircraft can fly without the seat belt if there is less that a full load and the seat without the belt is not used. It would be up to the C/S to ensure that the seat was not occupied. This could be where the breakdown is communication took place. However, you are right that the crew, once notified of the problem would have to resolve it before flight. I imagine that the crew member that ‘ went to look for something’ was in fact looking for a replacement seat belt as these are often carried in case of breakage or spillages etc.

RIS
15-06-2005, 16:50
I should really add that both Lucy and myself were/are in the business so to speak and the last thing that I would wish to do is alarm anyone. This event sounds like a ‘one off’. There are procedures in place to avoid this kind of thing and I’m sure that the airline involved would welcome the ‘feedback’ from it’s customer to ensure that there is no repetition. [msnwink]

15-06-2005, 17:29
Roger I agree with both your above posts 100%, I just get so angry when things like this happen, I also know how if you get a few less caring cabin crew things can get missed[msnmad]

For anyone who is not in the airline business please please don't accept poor service especially when it concerns safety, stand up for your rights and make sure ALL complaints go into the airlines in writing.

Julieanne, I would copy comlpaint to both Icelandic and First Choice!!

pieman790, I am aware of this flight and many of you on the OV know my views on 757's going across the atlantic [msnmad][msnmad]

Have a look here it is very interesting........

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/757family/technical.html

I have operated that aicraft type on trans atlantics and it just does not work. I think you have done the right move by switching flights - vote with your feet as they say! Also if you fancy a few days in a wonderful clean friendly city then stay over in Chicago [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
15-06-2005, 17:35
we thankyou all for your help and advise with everything to do with planes and staffing and rules so to speak!
i was really shocked, it is apaulling to be treated in that way, poor Julie! hope it didnt spoil your holiday to much??

julieanne
15-06-2005, 17:41
Didn't spoil my holiday at all.
I just get so mad at the way fare paying passengers are treated by some of these airlines [msnmad]
I must say tho that we did actually get a First Choice plane and crew home and did get our premium seats [msnsmile]
This was a much better experience.....

pieman790
15-06-2005, 19:04
Lucy,I have complained to BMI about the service and i am waiting for their response over the matter. They did even tell me they had changed planes and i only found this out when we boarded in Washington as we had flown out to Chicago.
We did the Manchester to Boston service last year on a B757 with American and i said never again, how wrong i was on this occassion but it was not planned.
BMI tell me that the new Airbus will be ready for 31 October but my travel agent has heard otherwise and i will not take the risk. BMI didnt charge me any extra for the change.
BMIIcelandic airlines also fly the B757 200 which is even smaller and older than the usual 300 series.